+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best way to prove physical presence in Canada when unemployed?

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
I landed October 2011, got job in end of Dec 2011. I stayed at my wife's house for almost 8 months. the 8 months proof is that I have my bank and credit card statements to show.
In total absences for vacation outside canada was 37 days (first trip was after 1 year after i landed). I am eligible to apply for citizenship soon.
so you are saying that spend 2 more months extra and then apply (as i was unemployed for 2 months).
I would have been eligible in October 2014 but as I was 37 days away, i could not meet 1095 days requirement thus if i apply at end of nov 2014, i will be eligible.
What do you suggest?
Yes you could apply by end of Nov. 2014, you would qualify. Make sure the calculations on the Residence calculator is correct and no mistakes are made. Since you did have a trip outside Canada after 1 year, this could be a RQ trigger or maybe not. It is a risk and it depends on you whether you are ready to take that risk or not. Life is a gamble, so you have to take your chance at it.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
SinghLovCan said:
Yes you could apply by end of Nov. 2014, you would qualify. Make sure the calculations on the Residence calculator is correct and no mistakes are made. Since you did have a trip outside Canada after 1 year, this could be a RQ trigger or maybe not. It is a risk and it depends on you whether you are ready to take that risk or not. Life is a gamble, so you have to take your chance at it.
my trips were short and mostly for usa like 2,4,5 days. the long trip was just to visit india for 2.5 weeks.
how can it be a RQ trigger? Did someone confirm it? so you are saying that give 2 extra months for unemployment and 37 days more so that I have enough coverage right?
those 37 days i was away, i am already staying 37 days extra to be eligible. is it wise to do additional 37 days ?

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whatever you do , you will need 1095 days to qualify. You can add physical presence : 1095 days + 2 months , to cover yourself from the unemployment. The trip you took was one year after becoming a PR. The reason I said it could trigger a RQ, was because most people on this forum who traveled prior to qualifying 1095 days almost most of them got RQs. Even if it was for short trip. Since your trip will 100% fall within the 3 years period preceding the date of your citizenship application, uncless you choose to apply after 1 year, there is a high probability of RQ. It is for this reason , I myself have not left the country for the past 3 years.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just keep in mind that , one straight shot of 1095 continuous days residency is much much better than dis-continued residency of 1095 days within the last 4 years.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
This is not necessarily the case. CIC looks at the application, evidence provided, CBSA records, etc in deciding whether someone has met the 1095 days. If there are concerns over residency, etc they may issue a RQ. Keep in mind, a RQ could also be issued for quality assurance purposes. In my case, I travelled twice(1 month each time) and did not get RQ. In fact, my application took 5 months from start to finish.

There is someone on this forum who never left Canada since he became PR yet he got RQ. So what's most important is to submit as much proof as possible of your physical presence, but keep in mind, CIC could still issue a RQ. There is no reason to make yourself a "prisoner", especially if you end up still getting a RQ.

SinghLovCan said:
Whatever you do , you will need 1095 days to qualify. You can add physical presence : 1095 days + 2 months , to cover yourself from the unemployment. The trip you took was one year after becoming a PR. The reason I said it could trigger a RQ, was because most people on this forum who traveled prior to qualifying 1095 days almost most of them got RQs. Even if it was for short trip. Since your trip will 100% fall within the 3 years period preceding the date of your citizenship application, uncless you choose to apply after 1 year, there is a high probability of RQ. It is for this reason , I myself have not left the country for the past 3 years.

Reactions: Alex54321

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It all depends. My brother who travelled a lot, didnt get an RQ and the CO didnt even look at his passport. But look at his case :

He was studying here and worked all his time in Canada
His foreign passport was issued in Canada
CIC was assured that he was living in Canada.

But our cases are different.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
SenoritaBella said:
This is not necessarily the case. CIC looks at the application, evidence provided, CBSA records, etc in deciding whether someone has met the 1095 days. If there are concerns over residency, etc they may issue a RQ. Keep in mind, a RQ could also be issued for quality assurance purposes. In my case, I travelled twice(1 month each time) and did not get RQ. In fact, my application took 5 months from start to finish.

There is someone on this forum who never left Canada since he became PR yet he got RQ. So what's most important is to submit as much proof as possible of your physical presence, but keep in mind, CIC could still issue a RQ. There is no reason to make yourself a "prisoner", especially if you end up still getting a RQ.
I agree with SenoritaBella 100%. You cannot control whether you get RQ or not but you control how you can address RQ. Get as much proof of physical presence as possible and send your application end of November 2014 as long as that gives you at least 1100 days of physical presence ( at least 5 days buffer ... Just my suggestion ... CIC only requires 1095 days)

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RQ RISK INDICATORS

Applicant Characteristics:

A1 – Use of a suspect residential address.
A2 – NCB in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern.
A3 – Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.
A4 – Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.
A5 – Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.
A6 – Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.
A7 – Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.

Family Characteristics:

B1 – Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.
B2 – A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.

Documents

C1 – ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.
C2 – Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.
C3 – Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.
C4 – NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.

GCMS — Global Case Management System (new CIC computer system)
FOSS — Field Operations Support System (old CIC computer system)
NCB — Non-computer based entry
POE — Port of Entry
NPR time — Non-Permanent Resident time

julia.a3456

Jul 28, 2015
Hi,

I moved to Canada and I am currently living with a friend, therefore there is not house rent contract or utilities bills in my name. Will this an issue later on when renewing the PR or applying for citizenship or this is not required as a proof of physical presence in Canada?

Please help.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Hi guys,
One user here already provided his/her opinion about it in a different topic but I found this old topic so I figured I’ll ask here as well. More points of view is always better.

I have a situation when I was in canada for 6 months without any job. I applied for PR once from Canada in 2016, then I lost my job cause the company went out of busines. I couldn’t work for anyone else cause my work permit was for that one company only. I spent 6 months after that sitting on my butt waiting for the PR results. My application was refused due to me loosing my employment so I left and reapplied from my home country. This time I got my PR. Before I left canada (during those 6 months being unemployed) I applied for the bridging work permit so I could stay waiting for the PR results and also improved my language test score so I can reapply from back home.
Do you guys think they might have a problem believing me that I was in Canada for 6 months unemployed? Would the fact that I applied for that bridging permit during that time and that I had that language test before I left be sufficient to convince them? Do you even think they’ll ask at all? I also have the flight ticket I booked to fly back home after those 6 month.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
does anyone have some experience to share when it comes to unemployment time? Would it be better to wait and apply in about 6 months?

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
does anyone have some experience to share when it comes to unemployment time? Would it be better to wait and apply in about 6 months?
Why would you worry about why they don't believe anyone unemployed for 6 month? I don't think it is an issue.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Why would you worry about why they don't believe anyone unemployed for 6 month? I don't think it is an issue.
Thanks for your response
I know that sometimes they issue something called RQ (residency questionnaire) when you have longer periods of unemployment and then you have to send everything that you have that can be a proof of your residency in Canada during that time. I was trying to come up with some proof I’d be able to provide and I came up only with my bridging open work permit application I submitted, my CELPIP language test and the ticket to flight home.
just wondering if that would be enough

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your response
I know that sometimes they issue something called RQ (residency questionnaire) when you have longer periods of unemployment and then you have to send everything that you have that can be a proof of your residency in Canada during that time. I was trying to come up with some proof I’d be able to provide and I came up only with my bridging open work permit application I submitted, my CELPIP language test and the ticket to flight home.
just wondering if that would be enough
A friend of mine was unemployed for the years she's in Canada and granted Canadian citizenship without RQ. So wouldn't you think too much for nothing?