+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is background check means

Aziz123

Oct 8, 2018
Hi to all

Yestarday i got respones from IRCC about my parents PR applications.
Eligibility: Passed
Security: in process
Criminality: valid untill 2 december 2019
Medicals: valid untill 23 march 2019.
any one could tell me whats the meaning of valid untill ?? its mean that my medical criminalty is passed ??
Im around 9 months in Security checks but still in process and i don't know how long it will takes.

mghchdh

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Med's Request
23-02-2017
Hi to all

Yestarday i got respones from IRCC about my parents PR applications.
Eligibility: Passed
Security: in process
Criminality: valid untill 2 december 2019
Medicals: valid untill 23 march 2019.
any one could tell me whats the meaning of valid untill ?? its mean that my medical criminalty is passed ??
Im around 9 months in Security checks but still in process and i don't know how long it will takes.
Hi,
do you have any updates yet? Is your background check completed yet?

mghchdh

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Med's Request
23-02-2017
With the caveat that I am NOT an expert, among the comments I have made about this subject, and specifically in those you quote, I have addressed the fact that references to background, security, and criminal checks or clearances, can be and often are used in various senses, sometimes specifically in reference to a particular clearance, but more often generally. In many if not most interactions with a call centre agent, it is near impossible to be sure . . . as I have oft noted, the call centre agents can be prone to giving more or less stock answers in cases where the application is in process waiting for the next step. NOT informative. NOT illuminating. All the applicant learns is that there is no apparent problem, the file is active, and the applicant will continue to be in WAIT mode.

Whether there is some issue with the application to be worried about is fact-specific to the individual application. The vast majority of qualified applicants who followed the instructions, and who properly, truthfully, and completely provided the information and documents required, and who genuinely do NOT KNOW of any reason for concern, almost certainly HAVE NO REASON for CONCERN, NO CAUSE to WORRY. All they need to do is WAIT, wait and watch for communication from IRCC and respond to the next communication accordingly.

Wait times tend to be significantly longer than many if not most applicants apprehend. Some get through rather quickly (and their cases tend to mislead others into thinking they too will soon be done). But many more will need to WAIT. And this year it is quite likely the WAIT time is longer than it has been for a few years (due in most part to huge surge in applications last quarter of 2017 and the implementation of major changes, which large bureaucracies like IRCC are NOT known to be good at).

If in contrast you are aware of a potential issue in your case, well that is what it is.

BUT if you know of no reason to worry other than it seeming to take longer than you anticipated, odds are very good there is indeed NOTHING to worry about . . . it is just about waiting. You might see notice of the next step tomorrow, or not for . . . things can take awhile.

No reason to feel lost. The process goes on behind the curtains. That's how it works for everyone else as well.
hi, I have read your comments and they are indeed very valuable.
We have sponsored our parents for immigration back in January 2016. Their background checks are still running since April 2018 and now its been 13 months. Do you know based on your knowledge up to how long this can take? Is there anything we can do to find the latest status?

mghchdh

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Med's Request
23-02-2017
Hi

No still waiting what about you
Hi, no its been 15 months of waitings for background check :( :(

How long have you been waiting for your background check?
the wait is not helping...every day checking account only to see no updates :(

:(

Amal2083

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi, no its been 15 months of waitings for background check :( :(

How long have you been waiting for your background check?
the wait is not helping...every day checking account only to see no updates :(

:(
Same like you my friend. 15 months. We are March 2018 applicants

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
hi, I have read your comments and they are indeed very valuable.
We have sponsored our parents for immigration back in January 2016. Their background checks are still running since April 2018 and now its been 13 months. Do you know based on your knowledge up to how long this can take? Is there anything we can do to find the latest status?
In addition to NOT being an expert at all, I have not been following the PR application process at all closely for several years now. That said, the processing times have always been highly variable and for PR applicants or other types of temporary immigration, country of origin and the processing visa office are factors which have typically had a big impact on the processing timelines.

I have a substantially better grasp of the citizenship application process, but my sense is that in general, for MOST (there are exceptions) types of IRCC applications involving background checks, waiting times are really more about the overall processing timeline.

I refer to processing timelines, generally, rather than how long it takes to do background checks in particular, since it has always been difficult to know (with any degree of confidence) whether it really is a background check that the application is waiting on . . . "waiting on background check" appears to be more or less a default or generic explanation given by help centre telephone agents, which technically is true, in a sense, but the real story is simply that the application is in queue waiting for a processing agent or officer to take the next step in processing it.

Without revisiting previous posts, I believe I have explained this in some depth . . . and at least in the citizenship application process it is well apparent that the GCMS record will continue to show that the formal clearances (RCMP criminality check and CSIS security background check) are NOT complete EVEN THOUGH the respective agencies have submitted the clearances . . . but the application is waiting for a processing agent or officer to take the next step in processing the application (at which time, subject to just which step is next being taken, the agent or officer may more or less RECEIVE the clearances and make the respective notation of that in GCMS).

So, again, when the client telephones the help centre, the telephone agent sees, in the client's GCMS, that background clearances are still noted as outstanding (not completed) and the agent can truthfully tell the client that application processing is waiting for the clearances . . . but again, in practice, the clearances are there waiting for the processing agent or officer handling the application to take a next step and in doing so essentially acknowledge receipt of the clearances by making a notation as such in the client's GCMS. (I have often compared this to the time lapse between the date IRCC CPC-Sydney actually receives a citizenship application and the significantly later date, sometimes several MONTHS later, when IRCC acknowledges receipt of the application -- between these two dates the application is in fact there, at the CPC-Sydney offices, but any effort by the client to ascertain the status of the application will be futile because in so far as IRCC records go, it has not been formally received yet.)

Reactions: keroppi and mghchdh

zia01

Apr 9, 2009
Dear depnabill, please share your valuable comments. I applied for citizenship on December 18, 2017 and I passed my test and interview on june 20, 2018. During citizenship interview, the immigration officer asked to provide the police character certificate within 30 days which was missing in my file and the same was arranged from my home country and provided to cic local office within due time. But since then I haven't heard any thing from CIC Canada. I applied GCMS notes through ATIP on Feb 22, 2019 which were received within four weeks. I was astonished to see that my file was put on hold by the instructions of another immigration office that is not my local office. Is it normal? Please share your experience and guide me what should I do? Thanks.

Reactions: mghchdh

Aziz123

Oct 8, 2018
Hi,
do you have any updates yet? Is your background check completed yet?
Hi, yes my parents security verfication were completed in 30 april 2019, and remdical request nd done in 9th may 2019.
Today i checked my ecas, my onlion application status its changed from in process to decision made still waiting for ppr.

Reactions: mghchdh

mghchdh

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Med's Request
23-02-2017
In addition to NOT being an expert at all, I have not been following the PR application process at all closely for several years now. That said, the processing times have always been highly variable and for PR applicants or other types of temporary immigration, country of origin and the processing visa office are factors which have typically had a big impact on the processing timelines.

I have a substantially better grasp of the citizenship application process, but my sense is that in general, for MOST (there are exceptions) types of IRCC applications involving background checks, waiting times are really more about the overall processing timeline.

I refer to processing timelines, generally, rather than how long it takes to do background checks in particular, since it has always been difficult to know (with any degree of confidence) whether it really is a background check that the application is waiting on . . . "waiting on background check" appears to be more or less a default or generic explanation given by help centre telephone agents, which technically is true, in a sense, but the real story is simply that the application is in queue waiting for a processing agent or officer to take the next step in processing it.

Without revisiting previous posts, I believe I have explained this in some depth . . . and at least in the citizenship application process it is well apparent that the GCMS record will continue to show that the formal clearances (RCMP criminality check and CSIS security background check) are NOT complete EVEN THOUGH the respective agencies have submitted the clearances . . . but the application is waiting for a processing agent or officer to take the next step in processing the application (at which time, subject to just which step is next being taken, the agent or officer may more or less RECEIVE the clearances and make the respective notation of that in GCMS).

So, again, when the client telephones the help centre, the telephone agent sees, in the client's GCMS, that background clearances are still noted as outstanding (not completed) and the agent can truthfully tell the client that application processing is waiting for the clearances . . . but again, in practice, the clearances are there waiting for the processing agent or officer handling the application to take a next step and in doing so essentially acknowledge receipt of the clearances by making a notation as such in the client's GCMS. (I have often compared this to the time lapse between the date IRCC CPC-Sydney actually receives a citizenship application and the significantly later date, sometimes several MONTHS later, when IRCC acknowledges receipt of the application -- between these two dates the application is in fact there, at the CPC-Sydney offices, but any effort by the client to ascertain the status of the application will be futile because in so far as IRCC records go, it has not been formally received yet.)
Thank you. Your comments are invaluable.
Really really appreciated that you took the time out to provide such a long response.

mghchdh

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Med's Request
23-02-2017
Hi, yes my parents security verfication were completed in 30 april 2019, and remdical request nd done in 9th may 2019.
Today i checked my ecas, my onlion application status its changed from in process to decision made still waiting for ppr.
Wow! Many many congratulations. Now you can take a sigh of relief..
Please can I ask how long the application remained in background check and what is Ur visa office?
Thanks

Aziz123

Oct 8, 2018
Wow! Many many congratulations. Now you can take a sigh of relief..
Please can I ask how long the application remained in background check and what is Ur visa office?
Thanks
My bgc remained 11 months my visa office is ndvo sorry whats sigh of relief ?

mghchdh

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Med's Request
23-02-2017
My bgc remained 11 months my visa office is ndvo sorry whats sigh of relief ?
Means you can now relax that process is now over
Congrats

Our visa office is also ndvo.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Dear depnabill, please share your valuable comments. I applied for citizenship on December 18, 2017 and I passed my test and interview on june 20, 2018. During citizenship interview, the immigration officer asked to provide the police character certificate within 30 days which was missing in my file and the same was arranged from my home country and provided to cic local office within due time. But since then I haven't heard any thing from CIC Canada. I applied GCMS notes through ATIP on Feb 22, 2019 which were received within four weeks. I was astonished to see that my file was put on hold by the instructions of another immigration office that is not my local office. Is it normal? Please share your experience and guide me what should I do? Thanks.
To be clear, much of what I post is NOT based on personal experience, even though a number of personal experiences do help me put other sources of information into perspective. My observations derive from many sources, ranging from following reports in this forum (and at times over the course of more than a decade, reports in other similar forums . . . I was a moderator at a similar forum for a number of years) to what is disclosed about actual cases in officially published decisions (including IAD, RPD, and Federal Court decisions), in conjunction with sources about the rules, policies, and practices such as PDIs (Program Delivery Instructions), other IRCC and CBSA information available online, and this includes the official statutes and regulations, and legacy sources like older Operational Manuals and Operational Bulletins . . . and to a lesser extent these days but a very valuable source of information in the past, CIC (before name change to IRCC) responses to numerous ATI requests (which are not the same as the ATIP requests pursuant to which clients/applicants obtain a copy of their personal records).

BUT I am nonetheless a layperson outsider with no more access to information about these matters than any other PR or resident of Canada . . . so I am very much NOT an expert even though I have been researching and following a few particular issues for a rather long while now. I am merely a hobbyist of sorts, with what most might think a rather odd hobby, but also a background and interests which can partially explain why.

WHICH is me taking the long way around to saying I DO NOT KNOW what is going on in your case. If you are confident there is a "hold" it may be time to at least consult with a competent immigration lawyer with citizenship case experience.

There are numerous reasons why a citizenship application might be put on hold, or "suspended," pending inquiries or investigation or determination of a referral to another agency, so many so that it would be blind speculation to guess what might be going on. That said, YOU should have some idea of the possible reason . . . YOU know your facts.

For example, one of the reasons for suspending processing of a citizenship application I have seen multiple discussions about lately has to do ONLY with persons who became a PR in the refugee or protected person class. If IRCC perceives reason to apprehend the citizenship applicant is someone with protected person status who has reavailed himself or herself of home country protection (which is presumed if the individual obtained a home country passport), that typically results in a referral to CBSA to investigate whether to make an application for cessation of protected person status (if that happens, not only is the citizenship application denied, the individual's PR status is automatically, as a matter of law, terminated). Pending the investigation by CBSA, IRCC typically suspends processing the citizenship application. BUT this only arises if the citizenship applicant is (1) a refugee or protected person, and (2) has obtained a home country passport or traveled to the home country. I have NO clue what your background is. My guess is this is NOT applicable to you but that is just a guess. This is just ONE example of multiple scenarios or circumstances which might be behind a "hold" or "suspending" processing.

There is a fair chance that @Ottawan's observation, in another topic where you have posted about this, explains what is happening.

Most likely Scarborough CPCD put it on hold. They're probably waiting for your CSIS security review.
This is indeed one of the more likely possibilities BUT that is still largely speculation. Another is an investigation for misrepresentation (which in addition to representations made in the citizenship application process, can be about previous transactions with CIC, IRCC, or CBSA).

In a broad, general sense, it appears the most common reasons for a hold, or for suspending processing, are inquiries, referrals, or investigations related to inadmissibility or potential prohibitions, ranging from misrepresentation to criminality or security issues. BUT that is very broad, far too general to illuminate what is actually going on in any particular individual case.

Superficially this might appear to be related to the request for a police clearance from your home country. BUT if your police certificate shows NO criminal charges or convictions, this may be just a coincidence. (Here again YOU know your facts, so you should have a fair idea whether you have some history that might trigger criminality or security concerns.)

Which leads back to it being time to see a LAWYER. A lawyer, not a consultant. You want to be in a formal attorney-client relationship (so yes, a paid for consultation, not one of those worthless free consultation, or a casual telephone consultation) so you can obtain advice based on a full disclosure of all potentially relevant facts and circumstances in CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATIONS in the context of a lawyer-client relationship.

We could go digging into some of the facts here, and perhaps narrow the scope of speculation some. You could confirm, for example, that you are not a PR-refugee so as to exclude the possibility this is a hold pending CBSA inquiries into potential reavailment and cessation of protected person status. You could confirm there is no prospect this is about possible misrepresentation related to obtaining PR through a provincial sponsorship program. And so on. But that would involve a lot of spinning-the-wheels with little prospect of gaining any real traction. AND it would be foolish to divulge enough personal details here to come anywhere near close to narrowing down what the underlying issue might be . . . and no one here (including me) can be relied upon to offer expert opinion or advice. (Another taking-the-long-way-round to repeating: probably time to see a lawyer.)

ALL THAT SAID . . . if you are confident there should be NO reason for concern about your case, no misrepresentations in your immigration history or citizenship application, no reason for there to be any criminality or security issues, no reason for IRCC to apprehend you are involved in residency or presence fraud, and so on, THEN you should be able to relax and WAIT and the process should sort itself out and somewhat soon (tomorrow, maybe, or in a number of months) be back on track, with the oath ceremony the next step (in a few weeks or several months or so). Again, YOU KNOW YOUR FACTS. You should be able to judge, for yourself, whether there is a potentially serious issue lurking in your case. Whether there is any potential inadmissibility, misrepresentation, prohibition, criminality, or security issue lurking in your background or more recent circumstances.

IMPORTANT GENERAL OBSERVATION:

Your situation illustrates some EXCEPTIONS to some of my observations in previous posts above and as commonly posted in other topics.

ATIP application for copy of GCMS report:

The vast majority of ATIP applications for copies of personal records discussed in this forum are FRIVOLOUS . . . unnecessary and unlikely to obtain any useful information. BUT as I usually express, as a caveat, there are exceptions. Your situation is one. Given the lapse in time since the test, interview, and submission of the police certificate, it was prudent to make the ATIP application to at least confirm the status of the application. Now you are aware the application is on hold, and you can assess whether, based on what YOU KNOW about YOUR background, YOUR facts, if it is OK to continue waiting, to let the process sort itself out and get back on track . . . OR, SEE A LAWYER as I have discussed above.

Pending formal background screening clearances:

Your situation also, POSSIBLY (not for sure, but possibly) illustrates an exception to what I describe in previous posts about applications waiting in queue and it NOT really being about waiting for either the RCMP or CSIS background clearance. SOMETIMES there is a delay, and potentially a very long delay, in getting the formal RCMP or CSIS background clearance. This is a possible reason why your application is on hold. (But again, just one possibility among many.)

CSIS background delays, if there really is a delay in getting the CSIS clearance, can range from weeks or months to very, very long periods of time, sometimes for YEARS . . . with little or no recourse for the applicant.

Reactions: keroppi

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
FURTHER OBSERVATIONS ABOUT SUSPENDED PROCESSING:

While it is too complicated to wander into the weeds much now, regarding the mechanics of suspending applications and how difficult it can be to obtain recourse, such as by way of an application for a Writ of Mandamus . . . a rather recent Federal Court decision illustrates how long application processing may be suspended, and how high the hurdle is for obtaining Mandamus. See Justice Mosley's decision in the Nada case at http://canlii.ca/t/j065v

While this is about a minor/dependent applicant, it is nonetheless illuminating: application made July 11, 2014 and processing was suspended as of January 16, 2015 . . . BUT the applicant was NOT informed or given notice that processing was suspended UNTIL October 2018 AFTER the applicant commenced Mandamus proceedings. Spoiler alert: NO MANDAMUS granted. Application processing still suspended as it approaches FIVE years since making the application.

As a side note, the reason for suspending that application is the separate and even much, much longer delay in reaching an outcome in the applicant's father's case . . . a pending revocation of citizenship case . . . a referral dating back to November 2003 but NO formal proceeding to revoke citizenship (for residency fraud) until August 2015 . . . further noting that the minor's citizenship application was nonetheless SUSPENDED WELL BEFORE THEN, before actual proceedings to revoke the father's citizenship were commenced.

A KEY TAKE-AWAY: It is important to recognize the huge discrepancy in how complicated it can be if and when there are substantial non-routine issues. The vast, vast majority of applicants, including most forum participants, HAVE NO NEED TO WORRY. Even if they encounter some degree of non-routine processing. BUT IF AND WHEN THERE IS A SERIOUS ISSUE, THINGS CAN GET VERY COMPLICATED. My posts are mostly about such potentially more complicated matters, and making distinctions related to this. So they go long.

My sense is that even among those forum participants bogged down in somewhat more complicated non-routine processing, MOST should be able to RELAX and WAIT it out . . . if they are qualified, made a proper application, made no misrepresentations, and properly respond to requests and notices from IRCC, eventually IRCC sorts it out and reaches the appropriate outcome. Sometimes my wandering into the weeds probably elevates anxieties among such applicants. I make a concerted effort to distinguish when and why there is NO reason for such worry.

BUT my lengthy, in-depth posts are also about illuminating pitfalls, RISKS, to share information which will hopefully enable some applicants and prospective applicants avoid pitfalls (to the extent they can be avoided) and REDUCE RISKS.

And my lengthy, in-depth posts are also about illuminating, as well as we can, what we know (which in many respects is rather limited, government transparency being rather archaic these days) about how the process works in the more complicated, difficult, problematic situations.

As for this particular issue, about the suspending of processing, like many issues in citizenship application processing there is a big, big range. Many times the hold or such is NOT a big deal. There is a delay, yes. And given how long processing times are tending to be these days, that now tends to add up to months and potentially quite a few more months of waiting. But that is mostly what it is about: waiting for IRCC to sort the issue out and then proceed to finalize the grant of citizenship.

Other times, at the other end of the spectrum, like the Nada decision I reference above, things can get dicey and it may require the help of a lawyer to make progress. (Note, for example, in the Nada situation, even though the application for Mandamus failed, it is quite likely that the Waldman firm is nonetheless helping this individual make progress toward a proper outcome; while I have no idea what direction they are headed, one possibility is the individual withdraws the 2014 application and re-applies based on meeting current qualifications, as of when the individual does in fact meet current qualifications, there now being provisions pursuant to which a minor PR can qualify for a grant of citizenship even if no parent qualifies or is a citizen.)

A recent forum discussion which involves a very lengthy delay in processing (application pending since 2012) also illustrates how complicated some cases can get (this is one of those PR-refugee facing cessation proceedings cases):

Hello everyone,
Two days ago my husband got the application from Canada agency Boarder to cease refugee protection, :(
my husband was accepted a s refugee in 2004, got his PR in 2006, apply for Citizenship on 2012 , he passe test on 2014 , and since there we were waiting for 5 years for the ceremony ,
Now, after 15 years they said Okay we cease you protection because you did visit your country, and u asked for passport from them,

like after 15 years!!! my husband all his life is in Canada (House, Wife, Daughter, investment...) he went to his country just for family issue,

by the way, this law came after my husband got PR , so he did't know, and the politic situation became better in this country after 15 years , and he asked for new passport because he didn't get the Canadian passport

Now, I'm wondering if someone can let us know, how long the process will take times? if someone know a good lawyer specialist in this cases in Edmonton or Calgary ? any associations ? if I can sponsor him after, if will get a cessation? if the law will b not applicable for his case because hi passed 10 years since he get the PR?
currently we are discourage and disrupt :(:(:(
Thanks everyone for you sharing and helping,
Amina.

Reactions: Crace and mghchdh