+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is background check means

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In the post preceding yours I specifically stated that I have not been following visa applications much for many years. So I am not even much of a source for information about visa applications at all, let alone an expert.

And, it warrants noting, the discussions in this part of the forum are about citizenship applications. An individual has to already be a Canadian to qualify for citizenship (recognizing that both citizens and PRs are "Canadians" in Canadian law). This is significant because the nature and scope of background checks for Foreign Nationals applying for a visa is different from, both broader and more in depth, than background checks for citizenship applicants.

Sorry I cannot help but hopefully other forum participants who are engaged in discussions about PR visa application procedures can help.

Hi Dear dpenabill I will appericate if you can help with the below:

File SINP Paper based
AR March 2019
AOR May 2019
MR Sept 2019
MP Oct 2019
ADR 29 Oct ( Updated Sech A and PCC- same moment the Bck ground message flipped from we are processing to Your application in Progress)
PAL 30 OCT
Docs loaded and showed ( We are reviewing your docs on Nov 11 )
Called IRCC said- Eligibility pass, (Criminality and Security) -not started
I am not sure, if IRCC agent is the actual or it is now in Ip1 as per the back ground message tells?
Any help which stage I am at , and how long shall I be waiting till PPR_ Thanks much

Bobby_786

Star Member
Mar 13, 2019
Background check is done by processing application where your education and experience credentials are from - this task verifies your claims and authenticity of documents.

Security check is done by Canadian intelligence and security agencies, with or without cooperation of proper authorities in countries you lived/stayed in, and it is done completely independently from IRCC - IRCC only gets result, which will be positive or negative, without any explanation (as it is classified). This task looks deep into your life(LinkedIn Facebook), activities and associations to find out if you are/were involved or are/were associated in any way with anyone who is/was involved in espionage, terrorism, organized crime, radical movements, crimes against humanity, war crimes, etc..

Criminal check looks into your police certificates and verifies with relevant countries to see if you have a criminal record that may make you inadmissible to Canada.
Hi KRP
Please help me in question On H n C I am on background checks, two months ago I sent my police reports, from Uk, usa , India, etc..
So they take time to verify from those countries?
Normally how long they take on background checks

Last edited:

Ualberta

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Needed some suggestions from the experienced members of this forum.

Inland-Alberta
AR- Dec 20, 2018
AOR- March 11, 2019
MR- Sept 13, 2019
MP- Oct 5, 2019
Pre-Arrival letter- Jan 16, 2020

I wrote to the CIC webform asking whether they started my security check and got the following reply:

We verified the information on file and can confirm that:

• The background verifications are currently valid.
  • The security background verification is currently valid.
  • The criminal background verification is currently valid.

What does this reply imply? Any suggestion regarding the term "currently valid"???

canadalink

Oct 11, 2019

Inland-Alberta
AR- Dec 20, 2018
AOR- March 11, 2019
MR- Sept 13, 2019
MP- Oct 5, 2019

I wrote to the CIC webform asking whether they started my security check and got the following reply:

What does this reply imply? Any suggestion regarding the term "currently valid"???
Im also confusing if "currently valid" actually means "pass"?

lexxy

Jan 14, 2016
Visa Office......
cpc-mississauga
App. Filed.......
28 nov 2014
AOR Received.
6 feb 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront..20 jan 2016
LANDED..........
8 july 2016
Based on the background check! I changed my job after applying for my citizenship grant... do i need to contact cic about the change of job? Presently waiting for a test invite.

Ualberta

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
congrats!
how long it takes for your background check from start to pass?
Well, it was difficult to be more exact since I had to submit the asked police reports from five countries. I submitted separately as I had to wait to collect them. Some reports took a long time. In a month that I submitted the last report, I got the golden mail. For me, it was unexpected but went smoothly. Maybe they checked one by one, not waiting for all the last one. Also, I guess, it was due to the fact that all of the police reports were easily tracked down. Four were from European countries and one from an Asian country.

Bobby_786

Star Member
Mar 13, 2019
Hi guys I have scenario i lived uk more Than 10 years Before coming to Canda He filed H & C on best interest child He got first approval (AIP) after 9 months Now he order uk police certificate now February 2011 ( 09 ) years ago he caught while drink and driving, OUTCOME:fine was £100 one year disqualification for license Now he applied police certificate from uk. HOW LONG IT TAKE AS STEP DOWN ON UK PC. He have very strong ties with Canada ie son Canadian born (disable) My Client make mistake 1 time in his whole. February 2011 9 years ago He has three daughters school going, he is n Canada with family from 9 years Guys give me guidance What should I say to him????

Last edited:

Bobby_786

Star Member
Mar 13, 2019
After reading all the valuable comments if you are still not clear please Dial IRCC number and get the info about background check. I feel you are a bit disturbed about background scrutiny. Did you fake on any docs?
Hi guys I have scenario i lived uk more Than 10 years Before coming to Canda He filed H & C on best interest child He got first approval (AIP) after 9 months Now he order uk police certificate now February 2011 ( 09 ) years ago he caught while drink and driving, OUTCOME:fine was £100 one year disqualification for license Now he applied police certificate from uk. HOW LONG IT TAKE AS STEP DOWN ON UK PC. He have very strong ties with Canada ie son Canadian born (disable) My Client make mistake 1 time in his whole. February 2011 9 years ago He has three daughters school going, he is n Canada with family from 9 years Guys give me guidance What should I say to him????

Axaykumar

Mar 18, 2018

Inland-Alberta
AR- Dec 20, 2018
AOR- March 11, 2019
MR- Sept 13, 2019
MP- Oct 5, 2019

I am from India. I wants to fill the CIC webform to know the status of my file.

SINP + Express Entry
ITA 5th Feb, 2020
Medical exam date 7th Feb, 2020
eAPR and AOR 17th Feb, 2020
Medical Examination Passed 28th Feb, 2020
Biometric instruction letter 28th Feb, 2020
Biometric completed date 2nd March, 2020

1) What I have to select (Yes/No) in "https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp" - Is your application being processed by an office outside CANADA?.
2) What should I written in inquiry subject?