+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What have you noticed is different in Canada?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Here are a few more things I've noticed...
1. the time between when a traffic light turns green and the honk from the guy behind you is measured in nanoseconds
2. The number of cars which continue through the intersection AFTER the light turns red is at least one...usually two
3. It costs a quarter to remove a shopping buggy from the coral at the grocery store, but at least you get it back when you return the buggy to it's proper location (I like this idea)
4. You have to BUY the plastic bags you will carry your other purchased items home with (I also like this one, when I remember to bring my reusable bags)
5. The sign that says "Squeeze left" on the interstate really should say "Merge"

And last two for this post...
6. In the winter your car needs a bath almost as often as you do
7. When brushing the snow off your car it is best to stand UPWIND of your vehicle

A

anushauc

AllisonVSC said:
toby,

Clearly you've driven behind me (lol) as that is exactly what I do to tailgaters. With my South Carolina tags they think I'm a tourist who doesn't know where I'm going (or possibly how to drive!) and that helps momentarily...
Hey .. Did u then import ure car from the US ? Is it true that one cannot a car they have a loan on ?
and how long did the entire process actually take ..
We are in Texas and my husband does not want to part with his 1st car ( no loan on that one )
I am looking at buying a 2nd car and wondering if we shud buy it in the US ( as we have Credit history here ) and ship it to Canada ..
Any suggestions ?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
My car was paid off, so I'm not sure about the loan issue. I do know that you must present the title at the border and I did not hold the title (the bank did) until I finished paying the loan.
I came as a visitor driving my car across the border. When I landed, my SC tags had expired so I drove my sponsor's car to Buffalo and declared my car as "goods to follow". I dropped off a copy of the title to US customs because you must export the car from the US before you can import it to Canada and the title must be submitted several days in advance. As of now, I still haven't imported it, but am leaving tomorrow to holiday in SC and will return with my other belongings. My plan is to go back to the border sometime in January (driving conditions permitted) to import my vehicle.

Some things to consider and...check the cic website for more detailed info and the link to the transportation website...
-cars designed to adhere to US safety and emissions standards are not necessarily "to code" by Canada standards, some retrofitting may be involved (ie daytime running lights) and the car must have a recall clearance from the manufacturer
-some cars are not admissible at all...check the website for the list
- if you do not declare it on your household goods declaration form, the car is subject to both (I think) duty AND sales taxes
- there is no fee too export from the US, but (of course!) there is one to import it to Canada ($195 CAD rings a bell)

That is all I remember from my research back in November when I landed. I will post a thread describing my experiences after I have imported it.
Hope that helps!

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
AlanWales said:
The main thing I noticed in BC (I imagine the other provinces are the same) is that the price shown on the shelf for items that are taxable, don't show the tax, I am going to find that hard to get used to.
That drives me absolutely insane! XD Where I'm from, that would be miss-advertising the price and would come with a fine. It's not fair, the customer is not told exactly how much they'll be paying for something, it's a guessing game. Every single time when I get to a cash register, the total is more than I expect. And it drives me nuts when my husband actually defends the merchants, saying that way they don't have to relabel everything if the tax changes. I mean, how often do they change the tax rates? >_< No, they're just doing it to give the people a false sense of how much they're going to spend.

I've also noticed the tailgating. Well, maybe not tailgating, but the safety distance between cars is apparently smaller here. When my husband is driving, I'm all tense and nervous. He is way too close to the car in front for my taste, especially on the highways.

One thing that is different here than where I'm from is tipping. Back home, when I went to a restaurant to eat, there was rarely a tip given. Ok, if the waiter did an exceptionally good job, you might tip. Or you might say "leave the change" sometimes. But there certainly is no custom to always tip. Here, if you don't leave a tip, you're being rude. I'm finding it hard to get used to this. In my mind, a tip is still something you leave when you received something "extra" instead of the usual service. Good thing my husband always pays, I'd probably forget the tip and insult someone xD

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think there's any dark conspiracy of merchants to withhold tax information. :) The tax is all public knowledge. I think your husband may be right; tax rates regularly change. The GST changed just this year (or was it last?).

I like the tipping system! That way you have the option of reducing the tip if you get poor service, whereas with a "built-in tip" system you are stuck and can't do anything about his compensation. I routinely tip above 15% when I get good service, but I'm also not shy about giving 10% for poor service (or even less if the service is truly horrible).

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How is life different in Canada compare to US, how is quality of life, career opportunities, freedom of expression, taxes and weather etc?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very, very similar. :) I know neither Americans nor Canadians like to hear this, but honestly, you're extremely similar. I think you have more in common with each other than we Swedes do with Danes or Norwegians.

Freedom of expression is better in the U.S.A. Canada has that weird "human rights tribunal" which is basically an instrument for punishing people who speak their mind in an unpopular way. Taxes are a bit higher in Canada, which is annoying, but coming from Sweden they still seem pretty low by comparison!

Career opportunities would depend on what field you're in and where you are. It's hard to make a generalization about that. Obviously people in Oil will do better in Alberta than in NY, but people in finance will do better in NYC than anywhere in Canada, and so on.

Weather... Canadian weather sucks. :) The good part about the U.S.A. is that it has so many different kinds of weather. In Canada there are really only two: cold as hell and tolerable (in BC)! :D

commonwealth said:
How is life different in Canada compare to US, how is quality of life, career opportunities, freedom of expression, taxes and weather etc?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Karlshammer:

The differences between Canadians and Americans increases as you go further south.

The weather is one of Canada's weak points -- the other being the tax authorities. But then you are from Europe where tax gouging by the government is a sport, so perhaps you don't mind. :)

Nonetheless, I like the summers in Ontario: nice and warm compared to the tepid temperatures on B.C.'s coast (Vancouver). Victoria is warmer and dryer. If you must be in Canada from November to April, then the B.C. Coast is the best of a bad bunch.

WHat's the answer to the weather? Be mobile. :)

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your insight; i was surprised to know that you think we both neighbors are extremely similar :) I guess we share a lot in common.
I was surprised to know that Sweden has higher taxes then Canada, for some reason i though otherwise. You expect Nordic countries "corrected" to have lower taxes considering their wealth but i guess that is not the case--- I still think we pay more taxes here in US.

I like Canadian foreign policy, more collaborative and passive. I spent 7 years in NY/NJ and decided to move to TX, so far, it's been a pleasant experience especially in fall/winters.

What about social system in Canada, quality of healthcare?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Norwegian countries? There is only one Norwegian country: it's called Norway. ;)

Sweden, Norway and Denmark all have very high taxes, far, far above Canada and the U.S.A.

If by social system you mean welfare and so on, it's extremely wasteful back in Sweden. As far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't have any welfare at all, so the less the better in my opinion.

Quality of health care is best in the U.S.A., then Canada, and last Sweden. Just getting to see a doctor in Sweden is a major battle...

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Karlshammar said:
Quality of health care is best in the U.S.A., then Canada...
Really!? I've always thaught the other way around!

In Canada, heathcare is not privatized; whereas in the U.S. it is, which means more $. As far as the quality of service: I guess you receive about the same level of service for both.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Regarding health care, in Canada it is universally available, and the cost is apparently low because the real cost is hidden in the taxes Canadians pay. And because there are no user fees, some people go to doctors for a minor cold, and clog up the system, forcing others with more serious needs to wait a long time for care.

In the US, if you can afford private care you can get the best health care in the world, quickly. But for many who don't work at the right company, or cannot afford hjigh health-care premiums, health care is unaffordable.

So, on balance which system is best? It's debatable.

Personally, I prefer the system in Costa Rica, where doctors don't expect to become millionaires overnight, work for decent but not princely wages, are not threatenesd by lawsuits and exorbitant insurance premiums (like in the USA), and therefore you can get private health care at affordable rates -- quickly. There is a public health-care system too, but pretty basic.

Introducing a user fee to discourage abuse of the system would go a long way toward freeing up the system and reducing waiting times.

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
US healthcare system is far from perfect, quality at a very high price, even with private insurance you end up paying a lot but Yes, you can see doctor same day or next and have access to advance research.

So you folk have SS (Social Security) system in Canada?
Average working hours a 40 / week or different? Three or four weeks vacation?

What is considered a decent salary to live a decent life style (It might depend on where you live but just a range will be great)?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The quality of U.S. health care is indisputably the best in the world. That's why wealthy people from most countries, including Canada, go to the U.S. for treatment when they have a really serious condition. I find the service a lot better in the U.S.A. as well.

There's a huge myth that health care is inaccessible in the U.S.A. if you don't have money or health insurance. However, there are tons of free clinics that provide good care for the uninsured. True, you won't get the same stellar service there that you receive if you have insurance; your level of service will be more similar to what you get in Canada, for example.

There's the CPP/QPP (Canada/Quebec Pension Plan) for retirement, and they have disability support here as well. Working weeks are usually 40 weeks, with pay for 37.5 hours (30 minutes unpaid lunch per day). However, this can vary; I had a job that was 40 hours paid, so 42.5 with the unpaid lunch factored in. Vacation usually starts at 2 weeks just like in the U.S.A. and goes up with service, except in BC, where it starts at 3 weeks.

I'm afraid I can't give you a range... even if you only make $30,000 a year here you'll have a better lifestyle than someone making $40,000 a year in Sweden because of the insane taxes and high prices over there. Each person's definition of a decent life style varies. Is it a decent lifestyle to have a nice apartment, car and ability to eat out twice a week? Or is a decent lifestyle a respectable house, a luxury car, and a boat with a spot at the local marina? We all have different desires.

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks buddy- Have a great holiday season!

Interesting article, Canadia and US in the top 10!
http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/30/worlds-friendliest-countries-lifestyle-travel-canada-bahrain-hsbc-chart.html