+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What have you noticed is different in Canada?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
This is an interesting topic. Thanks to Colormepanda for initiating it.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I was surprised hearing that New Year is not so celebrated in Canada as Christmas - not on the same level...or it might be just in my area...

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
I like this post very much..Let’s see I am Lebanese, lived 6 month in the US and now I am in Windsor-Canada, here is what I noticed, basically in Windsor city:

-People generally are friendly, even with new immigrant who has a certain level of language barrier.
-People have a huge amount of freedom to practice their own believes, tradition, and religion, costum...without fear of being criticize as long as they don't bother other or invade any law.
-The people here really care for having a good education, each time I meet someone new, he first ask me what I am studying and what I am willing to study.
driving and texting was a huge problem, everyone used to do it, until it become prohibit last month with 500 fine for driving and talking on the phone.
-I have notice that strikes here take long time to be resolved, first the garbage employee went on strike for 3 or 4 months, now the driving test centre are on strike since August...so I am still without driving license, which is really bad..:)
-I feel the prices here are higher than in the State or the tax is higher...something like this.
-The weather, well no way to hide it…It is really cold in the winter with lot of snow…I have to wear several layers before going out…
-Politic…no info there.
-Night life…brilliant in the summer, specially Friday and Saturday night in downtown Windsor…in the winter..It is a little bit slow.
In general…I really like it…good luck for the new comer.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
rorita_76, why you cannot apply for the driving license? I got my G1 already a month ago. They do make tests for G1.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Well, I live in Windsor and the strike is all over Ontario. Recently they have opened 6 alternative driving test centers, the nearest one for me is hour and half driving and because of the 350.000 people who need to apply for the license in Ontario, we might go there and won't get the chance to do the test, because of the long queue. I am still waiting, maybe they will open a near driving test center. It is becoming ridiculous; they are on strike since August.

ecs

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is my experience of Canada. We lived in US for about 9 years and then moved to Canada.
1. The roads were a little narrow or the lanes on the highway.
2. People are definitely more friendlier than the US
3. Some of the designs doesn't make sense like majority of the shopping complexes have only one entrance where as the US, we used to have 2 entrance/exits just to make easy traffic flows.
4. Banks in the US are much cheaper with no monthly charges where are in Canada it seems that these banks nickel and dime you for every thing including cheques.
5. One surprising thing is process here in Canada is not as streamlined as US. For example when you go to a Grovery Store, in the US, you can automatically swipe the card in the machine where as here it has to be done by the attendant who after receiving my card does not make sure if I am the card holder. Why don;t just make it easier and have us swipe the card to reduce the time
6. There are so many things that we could learn from our cross border neighbors but we just pretend to ignore a lot of things and end of always getting into the argument on how US acts like a big brother.
7. Another example of how easy a process in the US is.
IN CANADA:
Recently had to get a Money Order and went around Sunday morning about 11am to multiple gas stations. No one had a clue what a Money Order is. I was told to go to a bank to get the Cashier's cheque or some place like Money Mart etc. I then ended up waiting until one of the Money Mart opened and went in to get the Money Order. To my surprise I had to sign a contract (EJFIOQJO @ JOJ @ _(E)!*E)!EU* @ !EYE(U!????) to get a money order and give out my 2 piece of ID and the charge $4.99
In US: Stop by at a Gas Station pay $0.79 and get a Money Order. Done !
See the process elimination that I am talking about.!!!

Btw, thse are purely my views and I am Canaidan Citizen and proud to be one. Its just that we have a lot of things we could improve here and learn a few things from our cross border neighbours with an open mind sintead of complaining how they act towards us.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, you too!

I'm not surprised. Canadians and Americans are both very friendly, probably the friendliest among majority white countries, though I have found latinos to be the most friendly as a people.

commonwealth said:
Thanks buddy- Have a great holiday season!

Interesting article, Canadia and US in the top 10!
http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/30/worlds-friendliest-countries-lifestyle-travel-canada-bahrain-hsbc-chart.html

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
"Friendliness" can be difficult to judge. A lot depends on how deep you want the "friendship" to go.

There's an old saying that an American will call you a friend within 30 seconds of meeting you, while a Brit will take a lifetime. But an American will forget you within 30 seconds of your leaving the room, while a Brit will remember you a lifetime. Canadians are somewhere in between the two extremes, I'd imagine.

My personal experience, though, is that there are so many exceptions to these stereotypes that it's a waste of time to entertain them. Two of my best friends in Costa Rica were Americans,not Canadians, and despite my attempts to integrate with Costa Ricans, and despite their many promises to get together, I never received one invitation to their homes. This is a common observation among ex-pats in every Latin country.

So, you have to distinguish between manners (the apparent friendliness when meeting on the street or at a cocktail party) and real friendliness (the type that leads to real friendships where you invite each other to your homes, etc.)

In this vein, I'd be interested to hear others' experiences with Canadians in Canada.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
rorita_76 said:
Well, I live in Windsor and the strike is all over Ontario. Recently they have opened 6 alternative driving test centers, the nearest one for me is hour and half driving and because of the 350.000 people who need to apply for the license in Ontario, we might go there and won't get the chance to do the test, because of the long queue. I am still waiting, maybe they will open a near driving test center. It is becoming ridiculous; they are on strike since August.
we are in Ontario too. we went to that office close to Toronto and it took me just 30 minutes (15 minutes interview and 15 minutes test) to walk out with G1. no queues at all. they don't do G2, that's why not so many people.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
I also noticed that TD bank in Canada is open till 6 pm and works in Saturdays, unlike US banks that are closed at 4 pm.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I semi-agree with you, Toby. I'd say Canadians have both; surface friendliness and genuine friendliness. I noticed the same among Latinos. Americans are hit and miss. I liked the people on the west coast but not so much on the east coast.

Like you said, they are stereotypes, but that's what we have to offer here. I can tell you that Bob and Joe are friendly but Matt is not, and that may be specific and accurate, but doesn't help much. :)

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
I was also surprised that Canadians do not have ID cards.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Suin:

Canadians don't need official identity cards. We have driver's licences, birth-certificate cards, SIN cards, etc.

And, if the other person (e.g. government clerk) is not really sure, s/he will ask you a question., If you reply without saying "eh" a few times, it shows you are not really Canadian. So, start practising: "eh", "eh?" etc.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
thank you for your advice, toby. :) in many European countries they still have ID cards together with driving licence, birth-certificate cards, SIN cards. it was a real surprise for me to notice that here in Canada they just do not use it.