+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if I cannot meet PR residency requirement ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As previously mentioned the expiry dates on you PR cards are irrelevant. At this point your whole family is out of status and you can't sponsor your non-PR child until you are compliant with your RO. There is no guarantee your child will be granted a TRV or TRP if you apply for one. Even if you do your child may not qualify for free schooling or health care during those 2.5-3 years until they get PR.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Quick question if someone can help please:
Back-ground: I became a PR in Sep-2015 and finally moved from US to Canada in Sep-2018. I was a few days short on the residency obligation, was sent to secondary at the land border for some additional questions but finally was let go with a warning, asking me to stay for 2 years straight. I am trying to stay put for 2 years straight now.
Question - My parents have a tourist visa but I want to bring them there on Super-Visa. Does IRCC evaluate my residency obligation when I apply for my parents super-visa? I will be able to qualify based on income and bank statements.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quick question if someone can help please:
Back-ground: I became a PR in Sep-2015 and finally moved from US to Canada in Sep-2018. I was a few days short on the residency obligation, was sent to secondary at the land border for some additional questions but finally was let go with a warning, asking me to stay for 2 years straight. I am trying to stay put for 2 years straight now.
Question - My parents have a tourist visa but I want to bring them there on Super-Visa. Does IRCC evaluate my residency obligation when I apply for my parents super-visa? I will be able to qualify based on income and bank statements.
You are pretty early to apply for a supervisa in general. Usually they want to see NOA or have earned LICO while in Canada.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
You are pretty early to apply for a supervisa in general. Usually they want to see NOA or have earned LICO while in Canada.
I am willing to take my chances with that, I think income and bank statements should suffice. Just trying to understand if there can be an evaluation of my residency when my parents file for their super visa, as PR card copy is a required document.

Shan654

Apr 24, 2019
Good Day,

Hi I am currently a Permanent Resident of Canada and I have until 2023 to move Canada. I currently do not live in Canada and am planning on attending university out side of Canada for a period of approximately 5 or 6 years.

I am worried about how I would be able to retain my PR status as I have not been in Canada more than a few days.

Is there any advice that you can give about retaining my PR status?

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Day,

Hi I am currently a Permanent Resident of Canada and I have until 2023 to move Canada. I currently do not live in Canada and am planning on attending university out side of Canada for a period of approximately 5 or 6 years.

I am worried about how I would be able to retain my PR status as I have not been in Canada more than a few days.

Is there any advice that you can give about retaining my PR status?

Thank you in advance.
The only advice any of us can provide is that you must meet the residency requirement if you want to guarantee that you can keep your PR status. You cannot extend your PR card without meeting the residency requirement and studying outside of Canada isn't accepted as a reason for failing to meet the residency requirement. So the decision is really up to you. If you want to absolutely guarantee you can keep your PR status, then you will need to change your plans. Otherwise, go ahead and study outside of Canada as you've planned but be aware this may very well lead to a loss of your PR status. Ultimately your choice.

EhsanAhmed

Jan 28, 2016
Hi, i wanted to know that if i maintain my PR status, i.e; 2yrs out of 5yrs staying in canada. What will happen regarding citizenship? Means after 1st yrs the counter will reset? Do i need to stay 3 straight yrs or 4 yrs out of 5yrs for citizenship?
Meaning to say that as far as 5yrs will be completed and i just could able to maintain my PR then whole process will be resetted as we land very 1st time in canada?
Please advise. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, i wanted to know that if i maintain my PR status, i.e; 2yrs out of 5yrs staying in canada. What will happen regarding citizenship? Means after 1st yrs the counter will reset? Do i need to stay 3 straight yrs or 4 yrs out of 5yrs for citizenship?
Meaning to say that as far as 5yrs will be completed and i just could able to maintain my PR then whole process will be resetted as we land very 1st time in canada?
Please advise. Thanks
Citizenship and PR are unrelated. You count both separated. One is 2 out of 5 years and the other is 3 out of 5 years. The time in Canada doesn’t have to be continuous.

Lovelie1980

Aug 5, 2017
Question please
All family members have PR card post landing.
However, due to circumstances, only husband meet the Citizenship requirement and the wife and children, didn't as they move back home and only stayed in Canada for 1yr out of 5yrs.

Now that the husband got the citizenship, can he sponsor the wife and children? Is there is restrictions that you cannot apply bec they have PR before and didn't complete.

salmanaa484

Jul 22, 2019
Hi thanks for all the info..please let me know what risks/uncertainty am I subjected to:

I landed in 22 Jan 2016 and was in canada till 17 May 2016 (116 days). I was out of Canada due to family obligations/financial condition. I was back in Canada for 19 days in July 2018 till Aug 2018. My PR card expires on 11 March 2021..which would give me 719 days (116+19+584) when I reach canada on 2nd Aug 2019 (my flights are booked) . I was planning to stay the whole time. But now I realize the count starts from 22 Jan 2016 (when I landed) till 22 Jan 2021 (5 years). If I count 22 Jan 2012 (as 5 year-end) then my total days till then from 2nd Aug 2019 will be 674 days. I am entering via Vancouver on my way to Toronto (as per the ticket).
1. I really wanted to know what should I be expecting at the immigration?
2. if I am reported, what am I expected to do? Do i give any rationale etc
3. If I am reported does that mean immigration officer can issue me a deportation notice at the immigration office or can they revoke my PR or can they as me to deport immediately?
4. If a deportation notice is issued will I be able to appeal right there? If i initiate the appeal process will I be able to be in Canada during the process with a valid PR card and can issue health card and etc

How does this the whole process works?

TIA

sammeta

May 21, 2018
Citizenship and PR are unrelated. You count both separated. One is 2 out of 5 years and the other is 3 out of 5 years. The time in Canada doesn’t have to be continuous.
So, is it like once we maintain PR status in 5 years, do we need to stay 1 year or 3 years to apply for citizenship. Can someone please by replying to this thread.

sammeta

May 21, 2018
Question please
All family members have PR card post landing.
However, due to circumstances, only husband meet the Citizenship requirement and the wife and children, didn't as they move back home and only stayed in Canada for 1yr out of 5yrs.

Now that the husband got the citizenship, can he sponsor the wife and children? Is there is restrictions that you cannot apply bec they have PR before and didn't complete.
Can someone please reply on to this thread

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, is it like once we maintain PR status in 5 years, do we need to stay 1 year or 3 years to apply for citizenship. Can someone please by replying to this thread.
Once you are PR you must remain in Canada for 3 out of 5 years to apply for citizenship.

sammeta

May 21, 2018
Thanks for the reply, my question was after maintaining PR status, say 2 out of 5 years I have stayed in Canada and then went back to Canada after 5th year. So can I apply for citizenship after 1 year as I have already stayed for 2 years or 3 years again to apply for citizenship or I am not eligible at all to apply for citizenship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply, my question was after maintaining PR status, say 2 out of 5 years I have stayed in Canada and then went back to Canada after 5th year. So can I apply for citizenship after 1 year as I have already stayed for 2 years or 3 years again to apply for citizenship or I am not eligible at all to apply for citizenship.
I am confused. Once you are a PR if you stay in Canada for 3 years within a 5 year period you can apply for citizenship. You don’t have to stay for 3 continuous years.

Would also mention that after the first 5 years if you are still a PR and didn’t get your citizenship you must be able to show that you have been in Canada for 2 out of 5 years everyday. It isn’t 5 year periods and then another 5 year period it is a rolling total.