+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if I cannot meet PR residency requirement ?

R1711089233

Dec 11, 2019
Hello, I was granted PR status in 2012. We did the landing. We were supposed to get back to Canada, but my father got sick. We didn't stay for 730 days in Canada during the 5-year period. I had to help my father out for several years. Now my PR card is expired. We couldn’t get back to Canada because of a "Major Force" situation that was beyond our control. By now everything is solved, and we are willing and able to get back to Canada (if possible). We are 4 (Mom, Dad, and two kids 8 and 9 years old) My question is: If there is a "Major Force" situation, can Canada take that into consideration to aloud people under our circumstances to get back? If possible, how can we proceed?

Thanks for your advice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, I was granted PR status in 2012. We did the landing. We were supposed to get back to Canada, but my father got sick. We didn't stay for 730 days in Canada during the 5-year period. I had to help my father out for several years. Now my PR card is expired. We couldn’t get back to Canada because of a "Major Force" situation that was beyond our control. By now everything is solved, and we are willing and able to get back to Canada (if possible). We are 4 (Mom, Dad, and two kids 8 and 9 years old) My question is: If there is a "Major Force" situation, can Canada take that into consideration to aloud people under our circumstances to get back? If possible, how can we proceed?

Thanks for your advice.
IRCC takes H&C grounds into consideration. You are extremely unlikely to be able to show H&C grounds for failing to meet the RO in 7 years.

You can try to enter via the US and hope to not be reported but I'd say there is little chance of that. You could apply for PRTDs trying to claim H&C grounds but again, little chance. In both situation, you would likely end up with your status being revoked.

R1711089233

Dec 11, 2019
IRCC takes H&C grounds into consideration. You are extremely unlikely to be able to show H&C grounds for failing to meet the RO in 7 years.

You can try to enter via the US and hope to not be reported but I'd say there is little chance of that. You could apply for PRTDs trying to claim H&C grounds but again, little chance. In both situation, you would likely end up with your status being revoked.
Thanks again, as I said before, is what I thought. Just one more quick question. Why Canada maintains the PR status for people that cannot live in Canada anymore?. Is there any benefit for those that have lost their chance to live in Canada? Why just not revoke the status once your PR card expires and you haven't met with the 730 days? Is better to give up my status? Sorry for all these questions, but I really don't know much about the topic.