+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the survival jobs in Canada that can be found at first?

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
Hey wanna go to edson just changed my thought my looking at a preview.

Not able to think clearly.

Learned CCNA how can i utilise that?

Donutman

Feb 27, 2014
i dont see how anyone could possibly make 1800 a month working at a food counter ?

is it like ten hours a day seven days a week ??

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Donutman said:
i dont see how anyone could possibly make 1800 a month working at a food counter ?

is it like ten hours a day seven days a week ??
That's $15/hr. Tim Hortons pays its counter staff $14/hr in Alberta so its possible

Sarah1

Feb 7, 2014
Also depends in hours/week.
In these kind of jobs it's easy to ask for 8 full hours for 5 days, making it 40 hours/week.
Even with the lowest salary of $11 you are around $1750, so yes it's possible.

You always have some choices even with survival jobs. Try to get something above $11-12 and with more than 35 hours.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Sarah1 said:
Also depends in hours/week.
In these kind of jobs it's easy to ask for 8 full hours for 5 days, making it 40 hours/week.
Even with the lowest salary of $11 you are around $1750, so yes it's possible.

You always have some choices even with survival jobs. Try to get something above $11-12 and with more than 35 hours.
what about the tax deduction? assuming the pay is $1750 - how much will be left after paying tax ????

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here in Quebec they take about 15% of salary but at the end of tax year you can claim a refund of paid tax on the grounds of having a low income. They may return some portion of paid tax depending on number of children.

In call centres it is relatively easy to earn up to 2000 before tax, because normally they do not hire part timers (not beneficial to train part time staff). Besides They have overtime almost every season because many people leave daily. In peak seasons I would get 2200. But I am not sure many people are willing to tolerate inhumane work hours and rude people constantly complaining and insulting you.

emamabd said:
what about the tax deduction? assuming the pay is $1750 - how much will be left after paying tax ????

Feb 21, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2013
AOR Received.
01-01-2014
Med's Done....
23-09-2013
Passport Req..
06-06-2014
I love this thread because it means I can actually contribute something to this forum instead of just asking questions!

The labour market is TOUGH and precarious. Job security is difficult to obtain when employers often hire for part time, work share, casual positions. But finding employment is possible… by having a job goal, understand the sector, with perseverance and seeking/obtaining assistance.

“Survival jobs” does not necessarily mean its occupation-specific. Survival jobs means your earning to make ends meet... so it really depends on hours of work and rate of pay. But to generally answer the question, the jobs mostly considered to be “survival” include general labour/assembly, food attendant, cashier, etc. Most minimum wage jobs are considered "survival" given the cost of living. Luckily, there have been some improvements in Ontario where minimum wage will go up to $11 per hour as of June 30, 2014.

A great website across the country is: www.workingincanada.gc.ca. Click on “explore careers” and type in an occupation + city and province and you will get an abundance of information on min/max/average wages, whether the profession requires a license, similar occupations in case you can’t start working as a nurse right away (for example), occupation outlook, etc.

Here are some tips (that others have offered as well) that would apply for any kind of employment opportunity, interim or career path…. Please keep in mind, networking is ALWAYS your best method for finding sustainable, long-term employment, but NOT THE ONLY WAY.

Enhance your English as soon as possible (check out the Toronto District School Board: http://www.tdsb.on.ca/AdultLearners/LearnEnglish/ESLPrograms.aspx

Perhaps also check out Literacy & Basic Skills: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/apprentices/lbs.html

Enhance your computer skills to use Word (for resume writing AND TAILORING to each employer) and to use the internet for researching new employers, job search sites, etc

Register for free support with an Employment Counselor through Employment Ontario. Find the closest site to you (and there are MANY) through this site: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/search.asp - they may also help with the cost of getting your foreign credentials assessed to better compete in this labour market (this can cost up to $300CAD so if you can get help, why not!). Please note: you must have a SIN card. And if it is a 900 series SIN card, you must also provide a copy of the work permit.

Make sure you have an employment goal (or more) because gone are the days when you can have one standard resume (CV) for any kind of position. Your resume must be 1-2 pages maximum and list accomplishments (not duties), among other criteria but no details on your marriage status, faith, children, date of birth, etc. A CV and resume are very distinct.

Always accompany a cover letter with your resume. Your cover letter should explain why you are the best candidate for the job – with this in mind, a cover letter changes from every employer/business applied to (if you have completed the resume, and have little-to-no time to draft a cover, send it anyways. Do not miss out on a job opportunity for not having a cover letter).

PRACTICE before any interview. This cannot be stressed enough. Google “behavioural type interview questions” and “cultural based questions”. Guaranteed employers will use these types of questions in your interview. Overcome the behavioural type questions using the STAR method which means you must think of specific stories/examples of instances where you demonstrated a particular skill the employer needs. You would breakdown your story like this: Situation Task Action Result. Google it for more info. Or feel free to ask me :)

ALWAYS write a ‘thank you’ email/letter within 24 hours of your interview. Not many people do this and it will make you stand out amongst the rest.

Remember, you want to stand out amongst the hundreds of people in search of employment since competition is fierce. Try to register with as many recruitment firms as possible, sign up on LinkedIn, check out events related to your profession on www.eventbrite.com and attend to network. Visit as many job fairs as possible, but research the employers in advance so you know who you want to tailor your cover/resume to… OR attend anyhow so you can practice speaking with employers and getting over any nervousness. No interview is ever a waste of time. It’s practice ☺

Hope this has been helpful!

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
has anyone done the Integrated Work Experience Strategy program of ICTC . Is it any good ?

Is it possible to get a voluntary job in IT for a start ... just moving April end

Gofame

Oct 16, 2013
Please can any shed some light on the life in Saskatchewan?What are the survival jobs available?the weather etc...Please I really need this information.Thanks

Feb 21, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2013
AOR Received.
01-01-2014
Med's Done....
23-09-2013
Passport Req..
06-06-2014
For jobs, check out: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res-eng.aspx?RchJobType=Reg_jobs&ProvId=08&OpPage=50&nsrc=1

You will likely need to narrow it down by city/town to get a general idea of what jobs are being posted. But this is only 1 website.

You can also try: www.workingincanada.gc.ca

Go to explore careers on the right... and make sure you pick a city/town for sasketchewan + different job categories (i.e. fuel attendant, food attendant, retail sales clerk) so you can compare wages, outlook, etc

Gofame

Oct 16, 2013
PatientlyWaitingSpouse said:
For jobs, check out: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res-eng.aspx?RchJobType=Reg_jobs&ProvId=08&OpPage=50&nsrc=1

You will likely need to narrow it down by city/town to get a general idea of what jobs are being posted. But this is only 1 website.

You can also try: www.workingincanada.gc.ca

Go to explore careers on the right... and make sure you pick a city/town for sasketchewan + different job categories (i.e. fuel attendant, food attendant, retail sales clerk) so you can compare wages, outlook, etc
Thanks alot

Apr 8, 2014
Sir, please tell me how it will be easy for Canadian citizens to find jobs in US so easily ?

newtone said:
hahaha well said. By that time you'll get your Canadian citizenship and thus will be easier to move to USA look for a real job actually related to your field.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will be much easier for a Canadian to find a job in US than anywhere in Canada