+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the survival jobs in Canada that can be found at first?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport said:
This is quite fast. Congratulations.
I am aware I will never be able to teach at university as before as I will need to do canadian Phd (5-7 years). Doing an accounting diploma (1 year) to work as assistant of accountant seems to be the only way to approach my field and get out of customer service jobs without spending 5 years at school.
Also school is not free you gotta pay good money for that. Most profs I know are heavily indebted already from student loans

Nov 6, 2013
Agree. This is why I will do a public professional school diploma (the cost is 317 CAD). I will never engage again in university education. I have two options now - 1. do a one year public school diploma with internship at the end and a realistic chance of getting an assistant accountant job. 2. Do a 3 year bachelor in accounting, 1 year postgraduate diploma, 2 year internship and sit 4 exams to become a "real" accountant and at the end having again difficulties to get a job because I will be overqualified for assistant accounting and not having contacts to get a high-level accounting job.

newtone said:
Also school is not free you gotta pay good money for that. Most profs I know are heavily indebted already from student loans

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hahaha well said. By that time you'll get your Canadian citizenship and thus will be easier to move to USA look for a real job actually related to your field.

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
newtone said:
Its like saying how long is a piece of string. There is no rule as to how long it will take. For some it can take a few months for others it can take a decades and there are also others who never make it.
Thanks newtone

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
Hey there,

I really want to get involved in technical field more than managerial even though I applied for 0211? I am planning to join Masters after I reach there? The time difference after we land up to when we join the university can be shorten than a year?

Shrus

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Shrus said:
Hey there,

I really want to get involved in technical field more than managerial even though I applied for 0211? I am planning to join Masters after I reach there? The time difference after we land up to when we join the university can be shorten than a year?

Shrus
The university fees are much lower for a PR holder, so if you'll start applying before getting your PR - you'll be treated as an international student (which means paying much more).

You can search online - identify the universities which will be your target (s) - familiarize yourself with their requirements, and be prepared to apply for admission once you land.

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
emamabd said:
The university fees are much lower for a PR holder, so if you'll start applying before getting your PR - you'll be treated as an international student (which means paying much more).

You can search online - identify the universities which will be your target (s) - familiarize yourself with their requirements, and be prepared to apply for admission once you land.
Thanks a lot

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
katerina74 said:
can i do survival job as soon as i land with a temp.resid.visa? do i need work permit for survival jobs?
you need a work permit for any job in canada.

On what basis did you get your temp.resid.visa? Do you mean its a student visa?

katerina74

Dec 13, 2013
emamabd said:
you need a work permit for any job in canada.

On what basis did you get your temp.resid.visa? Do you mean its a student visa?
As a Greek citizen, no temp resid visa is required. But anyway, you are telling me that i need a work permit for whatever the job ...
Thank you for your answer

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
katerina74 said:
As a Greek citizen, no temp resid visa is required. But anyway, you are telling me that i need a work permit for whatever the job ...
Thank you for your answer
yes thats the general rule,

there is a specific program for greek citizens, you can read more about it if its interesting for you:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/greece-grece/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
Hey friends,

I want to study Masters in Engineering after I get there.

Any suggestions

Shrus

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Shrus said:
Hey friends,

I want to study Masters in Engineering after I get there.

Any suggestions

Shrus
if you will be landing in Ontario - it would be interesting for you to attend the "Ontario Universities fair" (see below links for details),it should help you decide which university to choose but the next fair will be in September 2014, if you will be landing much sooner then
you can contact universities directly - they usually also have free information sessions about their programs so you can attend and
decide which one will be good for you.

http://www.ouf.ca/

http://www.ouf.ca/when-and-where/

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
emamabd said:
if you will be landing in Ontario - it would be interesting for you to attend the "Ontario Universities fair" (see below links for details),it should help you decide which university to choose but the next fair will be in September 2014, if you will be landing much sooner then
you can contact universities directly - they usually also have free information sessions about their programs so you can attend and
decide which one will be good for you.

http://www.ouf.ca/

http://www.ouf.ca/when-and-where/
Thanks emamabd

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
jan 2012 along with medicals
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
nov 16 2012 :D
fast food restaurants , shipping receiving center , security ( you just need to complete a small course ) , assembly line worker in factory are some of the survival jobs that can be found with a little bit of effort..

The best advice i can give anyone is to improve your english.. If your accent is really thick and you can't hold up a normal conversation then register for english classes.. There are many universities that offer free english classes if you are a permanent resident..

Build up a great resume and Apply for jobs online but also go in malls and look for help wanted signs and hand in your resume..
DO NOT make a generic resume , Make a few resumes. They must be tailored according to the job you want to apply for because if someone wants to hire a security guard they could care less about your typing skills and would rather like to see attentiveness...

Another thing is DO NOT GET STUCK IN THESE SURVIVING JOBS!
After few months look for better ones and apply for those!

i was lucky when i came here last year.. It was busy Christmas season so i got a job at an electronics store right away as a salesman(10 days after landing)..I just went and talked to the manager..i was confident and told him that i have great product knowledge and i'll be a good addition to the team..He called me in the evening and i started working.. It was only a temp 1 month contract but now i had something to put on my resume..

I put 100% in my job ..I built some great connections while i worked there and someone referred me to Manager at best buy.. They hired me...
Bestbuy unfortunately closed that store after few months ( i got paid a good severance though :D )
BUT Now i had name of a big company in my resume which led me to my current job...

Another thing is availability.. When you have no job at all , do not start school because its really really hard to find a job without open availability..

Reactions: blessingobi36