+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the survival jobs in Canada that can be found at first?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
heartbreakid88 said:
Sir, please tell me how it will be easy for Canadian citizens to find jobs in US so easily ?
Depends on the job you are looking for? A NAFTA job that allows you to work legally? Hard to find

Any job that allows you to work without legal permission? Much easier

Remember, Canadian citizenship does not give you any legal right to work in the United States

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No I mean getting a work permit for Canadian citizen and work opportunity is much easier better in US than Canada

Apr 8, 2014
i was asking why US employers give work visa to Canadians more easily ?
newtone said:
No I mean getting a work permit for Canadian citizen and work opportunity is much easier better in US than Canada

bukyder

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-Sept-2013
AOR Received.
06-Feb-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
06-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
14-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
26-Sept-2014
PatientlyWaitingSpouse said:
I love this thread because it means I can actually contribute something to this forum instead of just asking questions!

The labour market is TOUGH and precarious. Job security is difficult to obtain when employers often hire for part time, work share, casual positions. But finding employment is possible... by having a job goal, understand the sector, with perseverance and seeking/obtaining assistance.

“Survival jobs” does not necessarily mean its occupation-specific. Survival jobs means your earning to make ends meet... so it really depends on hours of work and rate of pay. But to generally answer the question, the jobs mostly considered to be “survival” include general labour/assembly, food attendant, cashier, etc. Most minimum wage jobs are considered "survival" given the cost of living. Luckily, there have been some improvements in Ontario where minimum wage will go up to $11 per hour as of June 30, 2014.

A great website across the country is: www.workingincanada.gc.ca. Click on “explore careers” and type in an occupation + city and province and you will get an abundance of information on min/max/average wages, whether the profession requires a license, similar occupations in case you can't start working as a nurse right away (for example), occupation outlook, etc.

Here are some tips (that others have offered as well) that would apply for any kind of employment opportunity, interim or career path.... Please keep in mind, networking is ALWAYS your best method for finding sustainable, long-term employment, but NOT THE ONLY WAY.

Enhance your English as soon as possible (check out the Toronto District School Board: http://www.tdsb.on.ca/AdultLearners/LearnEnglish/ESLPrograms.aspx

Perhaps also check out Literacy & Basic Skills: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/apprentices/lbs.html

Enhance your computer skills to use Word (for resume writing AND TAILORING to each employer) and to use the internet for researching new employers, job search sites, etc

Register for free support with an Employment Counselor through Employment Ontario. Find the closest site to you (and there are MANY) through this site: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/search.asp - they may also help with the cost of getting your foreign credentials assessed to better compete in this labour market (this can cost up to $300CAD so if you can get help, why not!). Please note: you must have a SIN card. And if it is a 900 series SIN card, you must also provide a copy of the work permit.

Make sure you have an employment goal (or more) because gone are the days when you can have one standard resume (CV) for any kind of position. Your resume must be 1-2 pages maximum and list accomplishments (not duties), among other criteria but no details on your marriage status, faith, children, date of birth, etc. A CV and resume are very distinct.

Always accompany a cover letter with your resume. Your cover letter should explain why you are the best candidate for the job – with this in mind, a cover letter changes from every employer/business applied to (if you have completed the resume, and have little-to-no time to draft a cover, send it anyways. Do not miss out on a job opportunity for not having a cover letter).

PRACTICE before any interview. This cannot be stressed enough. Google “behavioural type interview questions” and “cultural based questions”. Guaranteed employers will use these types of questions in your interview. Overcome the behavioural type questions using the STAR method which means you must think of specific stories/examples of instances where you demonstrated a particular skill the employer needs. You would breakdown your story like this: Situation Task Action Result. Google it for more info. Or feel free to ask me :)

ALWAYS write a ‘thank you' email/letter within 24 hours of your interview. Not many people do this and it will make you stand out amongst the rest.

Remember, you want to stand out amongst the hundreds of people in search of employment since competition is fierce. Try to register with as many recruitment firms as possible, sign up on LinkedIn, check out events related to your profession on www.eventbrite.com and attend to network. Visit as many job fairs as possible, but research the employers in advance so you know who you want to tailor your cover/resume to... OR attend anyhow so you can practice speaking with employers and getting over any nervousness. No interview is ever a waste of time. It's practice ☺

Hope this has been helpful!
[/quot

This is awesome. Thanks.

Nappcanada

Feb 23, 2009
A job for everyone.

Mississagua Jobfair - come in person with resumes

Date: WED. September 3rd, 2014,

Where: International Center (Job and Career Fair) 6900 Airport Road, Mississauga, ON L4V 1E8

Time: 10am-2pm

Contemporary is hiring for over 1,500 airport type guards and supervisors for Pan Am games. Over 40 companies from different sectors present on Wed Sept. 3. Don't miss out.

artnet

Dec 31, 2015
jatt-going-canada said:
fast food restaurants , shipping receiving center , security ( you just need to complete a small course ) , assembly line worker in factory are some of the survival jobs that can be found with a little bit of effort..

The best advice i can give anyone is to improve your english.. If your accent is really thick and you can't hold up a normal conversation then register for english classes.. There are many universities that offer free english classes if you are a permanent resident..

Build up a great resume and Apply for jobs online but also go in malls and look for help wanted signs and hand in your resume..
DO NOT make a generic resume , Make a few resumes. They must be tailored according to the job you want to apply for because if someone wants to hire a security guard they could care less about your typing skills and would rather like to see attentiveness...

Another thing is DO NOT GET STUCK IN THESE SURVIVING JOBS!
After few months look for better ones and apply for those!

i was lucky when i came here last year.. It was busy Christmas season so i got a job at an electronics store right away as a salesman(10 days after landing)..I just went and talked to the manager..i was confident and told him that i have great product knowledge and i'll be a good addition to the team..He called me in the evening and i started working.. It was only a temp 1 month contract but now i had something to put on my resume..

I put 100% in my job ..I built some great connections while i worked there and someone referred me to Manager at best buy.. They hired me...
Bestbuy unfortunately closed that store after few months ( i got paid a good severance though :D )
BUT Now i had name of a big company in my resume which led me to my current job...

Another thing is availability.. When you have no job at all , do not start school because its really really hard to find a job without open availability..
Great to hear that someone made it. Everything i have read so far is really pesimistic. People that suffer from bad conditions of living, joblessness, ... One question; why does Canada take all these immigrants if there is no job market?

Anyways, I am a sales manager in an IT Distribution company, official distributor for Dell, HP, CIsco, APC,Microsoft... I am trying to come to Canada through Express Entry, hoping to get an invitation. I know, may be i will not work in the same position if i come there, but with all my experience, definitely i am not going to clean the toilets.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
artnet said:
One question; why does Canada take all these immigrants if there is no job market?
Canada is a huge country...its larger than the US and it only has one tenth of its population...so there is an endless need for people to fill up this empty land, but ...its
unfortunate that the job market is quite small. In my views the government should focus more on attracting those who can create job opportunities (entrepreneurs,
investors...etc).

Reactions: apsarkar

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
Hi All,

I understand that this is an old thread but just wanted to continue this one rather than creating a new one.
Can anyone shed some light on the scenario of survival jobs these days specifically in Toronto?
What kind of jobs are available?

Thank you.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Canada2425 said:
Hi All,

I understand that this is an old thread but just wanted to continue this one rather than creating a new one.
Can anyone shed some light on the scenario of survival jobs these days specifically in Toronto?

Thank you.
have a look here: http://www.indeed.ca/jobs?q=&l=Toronto%2C+ON

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Canada2425 said:
Hi All,

Thank you.
right now, your best best is probably going to be retail jobs. a lot of retail stores will be hiring for the holiday season soon, if they haven't already started. the best way to know what's available and who's hiring is to walk around a shopping centre/mall and ask the stores you'd be interested in working at. while retail is a sucky job, it is a good way to get canadian references for your professional job search.

other survival jobs will be restaurant work or possibly entry level admin/receptionist jobs. Kijiji is a good source for survival jobs because it's mostly small businesses looking for part time help.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Canada2425 said:
Hi All,

Thank you.
Given your noc code, i would recommend that you focus on professional jobs only.

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
emamabd said:
Given your noc code, i would recommend that you focus on professional jobs only.
Thanks. I agree. However, I will have to go for survival job in case I can't grab professional job in couple of months.
Burning money out of pocket till then won't be a great idea.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Canada2425 said:
Thanks. I agree. However, I will have to go for survival job in case I can't grab professional job in couple of months.
Burning money out of pocket till then won't be a great idea.
Sure its your choice, a friend of mine worked as a security guard (www.paragonsecurity.ca/) in toronto while he was upgrading his education - i think those jobs are easily available, but you need to attend training (you have to pay for it) and pass a certification. Once you are done with that, the same company who trained you will be able to place you somewhere. I think his pay was about $14 an hour.