+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the options for changing college after landing in Canada ??

amitpalsingh

Apr 15, 2012
Hi !!

What are the options , if i want to swicth colleges after coming in Canada. Someone was telling that according to new rules one should not switch/ change colleges. If he does , there would be problems while applying for PR later on.

Please advice ...

Thanks

Reactions: Anjana sunny

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
I have a similar query:

At this point in time, I have got admission in University of Ottawa but I am waiting for admission in University of Alberta. I wanted to ask will it be possible for me to apply to visa based on University of Ottawa admission and later join University of Alberta when I get admission there?

I just can't wait for my admission confirmation at University of Alberta as it is not sure whether I will get it or not. So that is why I want to apply for visa ASAP.

If I apply for Student visa using my current LOA from University of Ottawa will I be required to notify Canadian High Commission?
Please reply, I shall be highly thankful to you guys

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
@enfield: cant read your reply :( nothing is shown in your reply :(

melvs

Apr 16, 2012
When landing in Canada on a student visa, you will be issued a study permit that indicates the name of the institution that you were accepted in. Simply put, you are bound to the college/university whose LOA you used when you applied for visa.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
melvs said:
When landing in Canada on a student visa, you will be issued a study permit that indicates the name of the institution that you were accepted in. Simply put, you are bound to the college/university whose LOA you used when you applied for visa.
okay... My friend in Canada also told me the same. That your student permit has the name of university and province written on it.

Which means I have to wait for the admission of the university which I desire to join. After getting its LOA I should apply for visa.

melvs

Apr 16, 2012
right, it's better to wait for the university where you really want to study in. that will save you from future headaches and fees! good luck!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inam89 said:
@ enfield: cant read your reply :( nothing is shown in your reply :(
Actually a gun should not misfire at all. Sorry, sometime my gun misfire :)

Hi,

1. Yes, you can apply on UoA LOA and change your school post visa approval/landing in Canada provided you change your course on post-secondary level.
2. As per new rules, you can change your course/school and you do not even need to notify CIC/anyone in Canada provided your change your course at "same level of education".

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
enfield said:

Hi,

1. Yes, you can apply on UoA LOA and change your school post visa approval/landing in Canada provided you change your course on post-secondary level.
2. As per new rules, you can change your course/school and you do not even need to notify CIC/anyone in Canada provided your change your course at "same level of education".
Dear Enfield,

If i get Student permit of Ontario province, I will receive it on airport in ontario so I will have to take the Student permit from them and then I will fly to Alberta?

I have seen the student permit of my friend and the name of university and province was mentioned in it then, How can I go to other university based on this study permit? Will I be required to apply for new permit????

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inam89 said:
Dear Enfield,

If i get Student permit of Ontario province, I will receive it on airport in ontario so I will have to take the Student permit from them and then I will fly to Alberta?

I have seen the student permit of my friend and the name of university and province was mentioned in it then, How can I go to other university based on this study permit? Will I be required to apply for new permit????
Hi,

1. Read www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/study/index.asp

"I am already in Canada and have a valid study permit. I would like to change my school or program of studies. What do I need to do to modify my study permit?

: If you are changing schools and/or your program of study but remain at the same level (e.g., secondary level), you do not need to modify your study permit. However, if for example you are a student at the primary school level and you are moving on to secondary school, or if you are a secondary school student and you are moving on to post-secondary studies, or if you are moving from post-secondary studies to secondary studies, you need to submit an application to modify your study permit at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta."

shethravi001

Aug 31, 2012
amitpalsingh said:
Hi !!

What are the options , if i want to swicth colleges after coming in Canada. Someone was telling that according to new rules one should not switch/ change colleges. If he does , there would be problems while applying for PR later on.

Please advice ...

Thanks

jas123

Sep 3, 2012
Inam89 said:
I have a similar query:

At this point in time, I have got admission in University of Ottawa but I am waiting for admission in University of Alberta. I wanted to ask will it be possible for me to apply to visa based on University of Ottawa admission and later join University of Alberta when I get admission there?

I just can't wait for my admission confirmation at University of Alberta as it is not sure whether I will get it or not. So that is why I want to apply for visa ASAP.

If I apply for Student visa using my current LOA from University of Ottawa will I be required to notify Canadian High Commission?
Please reply, I shall be highly thankful to you guys

Hi Inam,

Congratulations on landing in Canada. Hope you are doing great :)

My query is, how you finally resolved the conflict between going to Ottawa or Alberta !!
VISA application ? Landing ?

Actually I have a similar conflict.
I have a TRV applied on the basis of UoOttawa Offer Letter.
But now I intend to join UBC (Have offer of Admit in hand). Course Master's level (same level).
1. Should I reapply ?
2. If not Should I land in Vacouver and show UBC Offer of Admit
Option 3: Land in Ontario, take VISA. Fly to Vancouver. Join UBC !! Any effects in the aftermath !!

LuvDuggal

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
8(R-7 L-8.5 W-6 S-7.5)
Hello Friend,
Actually i need to know something.

I have Acceptance letter of Concordia University College of Alberta (Master of Information Systems Security) for September Intake.
I would be applying for Visa for the same. So my Study permit would say University's Name and Province as Alberta.

Now i applied for Masters in Science in University of Lethbridge but they deferred me to January. Now lets say i get my visa for September and before joining University or even landing in Canada i get Lethbridge's Acceptance.

Q1 Can i in any way join masters in Lethbridge?
Q2 Would i be needed to inform CIC as Study Visa then should be valid from January ?
Q3 Would it hinder my chances for PR?
Q4 Would Concordia refund my registration fees(2500$) when i show them offer letter from the other university?

Please answer this, I would be really grateful and this would help me big time.

Regards! Respect!
Luv Duggal

cute_guy

Feb 7, 2013
Inam89 said:
Dear Enfield,

@Inam
Bro can you share your experience regarding course change, as I'm in similar situation as you were. Want to apply visa with one LOA and change later to another college....How did you managed ??

sumera.k

Sep 29, 2013
enfield said:

Hi,

So is moving from PG course to Diploma the same level as they are both post secondary or are they considered different levels of education????