+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are my options in my situation regarding Canadian immigration?

Smong006

Nov 29, 2023
So, I am a 25 year old doing a diploma in Data Analytics here in B.C. I am on a study permit, that expires on July 31, 2024. The issue is that I didn't do well this semester in a course, which was a prerequisite to another course to finish the program and I will have to repeat it next year. However, I can't wait a whole year to do that same course again. I was wondering what are my options now. My study permit is due expiry on July end of 2024 so I have 7 months to be here.

I have an undergrad in CS from USA, and about one year of experience in my field from India (but that is not full-time), is there any way that I can stay here in Canada, legally of course and somehow get a work permit or a path to PR? Is it advisable to show that my one year of exp from India was full-time, to get into the express entry profile? Like, anything that I can do legally?

I read that recently, the IRCC will open up a path for undocumented folk for citizenship, the proposal will be submitted in Spring but I don't want to count on that solely, plus, I will only be undocumented if I intend on staying here after July 31, which is a long time... So, what are my options?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So, I am a 25 year old doing a diploma in Data Analytics here in B.C. I am on a study permit, that expires on July 31, 2024. The issue is that I didn't do well this semester in a course, which was a prerequisite to another course to finish the program and I will have to repeat it next year. However, I can't wait a whole year to do that same course again. I was wondering what are my options now. My study permit is due expiry on July end of 2024 so I have 7 months to be here.

I have an undergrad in CS from USA, and about one year of experience in my field from India (but that is not full-time), is there any way that I can stay here in Canada, legally of course and somehow get a work permit or a path to PR? Is it advisable to show that my one year of exp from India was full-time, to get into the express entry profile? Like, anything that I can do legally?

I read that recently, the IRCC will open up a path for undocumented folk for citizenship, the proposal will be submitted in Spring but I don't want to count on that solely, plus, I will only be undocumented if I intend on staying here after July 31, which is a long time... So, what are my options?
You have to research PNP programs and EE. It is based on your profile. If you don’t have one year of proven, continuous, full-time experience in one NOC then you are not eligible for EE. So you are thinking of lying to get a profile but then you have to prove you were full time for one year.

I would not rely on the undocumented program. You may not even be eligible.

Are you going to school now? Are you still registered.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

As mentioned I wouldn’t be counting on using the undocumented program to stay .
Typically Governments when announcing an amnesty have a cut off date , one that is FAR longer than when you’ve been here . Otherwise people literally who’ve only stayed in Canada without status for a very short time could apply for it , and that would negate the reason for this yet to be announced program . I’d expect the program if it’s passed , would have extremely strict requirements.
You should not be counting on it at all as you’ve only been here since Autumn 2021.
It is strange you’d even bring it up . Since you’re still in status . That’s why the Government will have presumably a LONG cut off date . Otherwise people would just go out of status assuming they’ll get PR thru it

Adding when the United States had the last amnesty, individuals had to have been in the country
before Jan. 1, 1982, the cutoff date for qualifying under the 1986 immigration law.
So individuals had to prove they were in the United States undocumented BEFORE a cut off date

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Your options are:

- Applying for PR through an economic immigration program like Express Entry or PNP. You will need to research these programs to see if you qualify / have enough points. Based your profile, you won't have enough points to be selected out of the Express Entry general stream. So focus on PNP.
- Securing a closed work permit. This would require you to find an employer willing to give you a job offer and also obtain an approved LMIA.
- Switching schools and starting a brand new program so that you can qualify for a PGWP once you complete those studies. It's very highly recommended that you take a 2 year program so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP to give yourself the best chances at PR.

Agreed with the feedback you've been given already on the undocumented path. Don't count on that at all. It's only the proposal that will be submitted in the spring and nothing may come of it or the party in charge federally may change and can the proposal. You need to find a legal path.

Smong006

Nov 29, 2023
You have to research PNP programs and EE. It is based on your profile. If you don’t have one year of proven, continuous, full-time experience in one NOC then you are not eligible for EE. So you are thinking of lying to get a profile but then you have to prove you were full time for one year.

I would not rely on the undocumented program. You may not even be eligible.

Are you going to school now? Are you still registered.
Oh, I am still fully legal here and registered with a DLI University here, my study permit expires on July 31st, 2024. I was just curious, I am not desperate by any means since I am in tech with an American undergrad in CompSci, I can get a decent job as a SWE back in India, just that I will have to move again and take a lower pay. I can always plan on coming back to Canada after another year of experience by applying for PR under FSWP but was just seeing my chances before I move back to India for a year.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh, I am still fully legal here and registered with a DLI University here, my study permit expires on July 31st, 2024. I was just curious, I am not desperate by any means since I am in tech with an American undergrad in CompSci, I can get a decent job as a SWE back in India, just that I will have to move again and take a lower pay. I can always plan on coming back to Canada after another year of experience by applying for PR under FSWP but was just seeing my chances before I move back to India for a year.
You need to calculate your CRS score and see if high enough to get an invitation with foreign experience.

Smong006

Nov 29, 2023
Your options are:

- Applying for PR through an economic immigration program like Express Entry or PNP. You will need to research these programs to see if you qualify / have enough points. Based your profile, you won't have enough points to be selected out of the Express Entry general stream. So focus on PNP.
- Securing a closed work permit. This would require you to find an employer willing to give you a job offer and also obtain an approved LMIA.
- Switching schools and starting a brand new program so that you can qualify for a PGWP once you complete those studies. It's very highly recommended that you take a 2 year program so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP to give yourself the best chances at PR.

Agreed with the feedback you've been given already on the undocumented path. Don't count on that at all. It's only the proposal that will be submitted in the spring and nothing may come of it or the party in charge federally may change and can the proposal. You need to find a legal path.
Thank you for your reply!

I was planning on going back for one year, working and then directly applying for PR from India under FSWP, I checked the calculator and scored 73 points. I checked that min threshold is 67, so should I count on this when I apply for PR next year? Thankfully, I am in tech, although it seems simmered down at the moment due to less jobs, but it still is an in-demand NOC code, should I go back for a year, work as a SWE (I can, given that I have a B.S. in CS from an American University prior to coming to Canada), and then apply for PR there? If anything, the coL will greatly relieve me with a lot of burden I am facing here right now. I have a home, relatives and a decent support system back.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply!

I was planning on going back for one year, working and then directly applying for PR from India under FSWP, I checked the calculator and scored 73 points. I checked that min threshold is 67, so should I count on this when I apply for PR next year? Thankfully, I am in tech, although it seems simmered down at the moment due to less jobs, but it still is an in-demand NOC code, should I go back for a year, work as a SWE (I can, given that I have a B.S. in CS from an American University prior to coming to Canada), and then apply for PR there? If anything, the coL will greatly relieve me with a lot of burden I am facing here right now. I have a home, relatives and a decent support system back.
No, that's not how the points system works. The 67 is the FSW points structure and is the minimum required to qualify. Whether you have 67 or 70 or 80 points doesn't matter. This isn't what determines if you are selected.

You need to calculate your CRS points to detetermine your chances of actually being selected. This is a different points structure than the FSW points. The last general draw was well above 500 points.

You can certainly apply for PR from your home country however I don't think you would have enough points as of now.

Smong006

Nov 29, 2023
You need to calculate your CRS score and see if high enough to get an invitation with foreign experience.
So, that was a bit confusing, I checked my points under the FSWP, I scored 74 points (this was Ontario PNP), I also checked that min requirement is 67. So, should I rely on this info and apply for Ontario PNP next year? My CRS score was around 440, but I read that FSWP are analyzed on FSWP points (67+ out of 100) and their CRS score is not used..

Smong006

Nov 29, 2023
No, that's not how the points system works. The 67 is the FSW points structure and is the minimum required to qualify. Whether you have 67 or 70 or 80 points doesn't matter. This isn't what determines if you are selected.

You need to calculate your CRS points to detetermine your chances of actually being selected. This is a different points structure than the FSW points. The last general draw was well above 500 points.

You can certainly apply for PR from your home country however I don't think you would have enough points as of now.
I was talkng about FSWP under the Ontario PNP. I think a PNP invitation guarantees 600 points or something, right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So, that was a bit confusing, I checked my points under the FSWP, I scored 74 points (this was Ontario PNP), I also checked that min requirement is 67. So, should I rely on this info and apply for Ontario PNP next year? My CRS score was around 440, but I read that FSWP are analyzed on FSWP points (67+ out of 100) and their CRS score is not used..
440 is too low. You need to increase your score with another year of work experience or learn French. OINP is not an option if your CRS score is too low which it is for tech draws.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was talkng about FSWP under the Ontario PNP. I think a PNP invitation guarantees 600 points or something, right?
The answer is still the same. The FSW points structure only determines if you meet the requirements to qualify, it doesn't determine selection.

Yes, if you receive a nomination through an EE stream then you qualify for the additional 600 points. The 73 points doesn't guarantee you will receive the Ontario nomination.

Smong006

Nov 29, 2023
440 is too low. You need to increase your score with another year of work experience or learn French. OINP is not an option if your CRS score is too low which it is for tech draws.
I was thinking of learning French, I checked the TEF Canada test on CRS tools, If I am even able to score 2nd or 3rd best on the 4 components on that TEF test, my score goes from 440 to 478-490. But I will need to make a commitment to learn French for next 12-18 months. Is it practical to get a decent score by spending at least 1-2 hours a night for next 16-18 months to learn French enough to get that nice bump? I don't want to spend so much of my time and then find out that it was wasted..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was thinking of learning French, I checked the TEF Canada test on CRS tools, If I am even able to score 2nd or 3rd best on the 4 components on that TEF test, my score goes from 440 to 478-490. But I will need to make a commitment to learn French for next 12-18 months. Is it practical to get a decent score by spending at least 1-2 hours a night for next 16-18 months to learn French enough to get that nice bump? I don't want to spend so much of my time and then find out that it was wasted..
To make a difference in French, you need B2 which is advanced intermediate. Don’t know if one hour a day will make a difference unless you are attending classes (not Duolingo).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Learning French is a good idea to boost your score. Some people here have managed to learn from scratch in 8 months. It's very possible. It really depends on you and whether you make it a priority. But very possible. Good luck.

The French will increase your chances but not guarantee selection. If you were to learn French and also get a Master's or get an LMIA supported job offer in Canada, that would bring you closer to a guaranteed selection.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay