+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES Procedures - University of Mumbai

pramodnair82

Oct 27, 2018
Churchgate
Thanks for your response. However as per this notice Churchgate office only accepts attestation services for higher education. I don't see why the procedure would be any different from WES or attestation perspective, but I may be wrong. Any inputs on this would be very valuable. Is there a need to go to Kalina at all even if the purpose is immigration and not higher education?

http://mu.ac.in/portal/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Procedure-for-Attestation1.pdf

On behalf of the Registrar, University of Mumbai the Director, Department of Students’ Development is authorised to attest the Photocopies of the Original Documents of the students going abroad for higher education.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Thanks for your response. However as per this notice Churchgate office only accepts attestation services for higher education. I don't see why the procedure would be any different from WES or attestation perspective, but I may be wrong. Any inputs on this would be very valuable. Is there a need to go to Kalina at all even if the purpose is immigration and not higher education?

http://mu.ac.in/portal/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Procedure-for-Attestation1.pdf

On behalf of the Registrar, University of Mumbai the Director, Department of Students’ Development is authorised to attest the Photocopies of the Original Documents of the students going abroad for higher education.
While I hate pulling rank on people, just see my signature and you'll know what to do next.

pramodnair82

Oct 27, 2018
There's a lot of confusion related to Mumbai University transcripts and attestation. This is mainly due to lack of a streamlined process and some semester exams being conducted by colleges themselves. So let me try and clear the confusion by stating the process I have followed (which has worked). I hope it clears most of the doubts. A few important points before we start -

1. Mumbai University DOES NOT issue transcripts (not in the sense we assume). They ONLY issue attested copies of your documents (marksheets, degree certificate & convocation certificate). For the ease of explanation, we'll still call them 'transcripts'.
  2. DO NOT waste your time in any other form of attestation (be it self-attestation or notary)
  3. The process is relatively simple, so please don't overcomplicate it by involving irrelevant authorities.
  4. The motive of this process is ease & peace of mind. Saving money isn't the priority.
  5. I have used mailtrancripts.com for my university transcripts, but this post is not an advertisement for their service. I'm mentioning them because I've used their service and it has worked. You may choose to find a similar service provider and get your transcripts from them. You can also save a lot of money if you can personally go and apply for the transcripts at the Churchgate office. The process & timeline for that has already been explained in several previous posts.
Now, here's my case - I have a MMS (Master Of Management Studies) degree from the University of Mumbai, wherein the first two semester exams were conducted by the college. I had all the documents required (all 4 semester marksheets, degree certificate & convocation). My WES application type was ECA.

Step 1: Make sure you have all the required documents - this includes marksheets of failed/ATKT semesters. If you have misplaced any of your marksheets/certificates, the first step will be to apply for a duplicate, get it issued and then continue with this process. Note: Convocation certificate is not a required document for WES, so if you don't have one, it's perfectly ok.

Step 2: Scan each document and create a combined PDF. Make sure each and every detail on the scanned document is legible.

Step 3: Go to mailtranscripts.com and click on apply. The website will guide you through the process. Fill in all the relevant details and upload the PDF. They had charged me 4000 for a set but since then, they've increased the price to 5000/set. I had applied for 2 sets. The additional one was just to check if everything was done correctly.

Step 4: In my case, I received a courier from mailtranscripts within 5 days of applying. On the website, they have mentioned the processing time as 7-10 working days. The package had 2 regular sealed envelopes (no printed university information) inside (one for each set applied). There were a stamp and signature from 'Director of Universities Information Bureau' on the flap of the envelope. On the front of the envelope were 2 stamps - 1 said 'Air Mail' and the other said 'The Registrar, University of Mumbai, Fort, Mumbai - 400032'.

I opened one envelope to check the contents. It had attested true copies of my 4 marksheets, the degree certificate & the convocation certificate. These were again attested by the 'Director of Universities Information Bureau'.

Step 5: Apply for a set of transcripts from your college. Each college has a set process for application. There is no standard procedure. I applied at mine with just a written request on a blank piece of paper. The fees can vary from college to college. My college charged me 1000 for a set. Request the clerk to not seal the transcripts until you've verified them. I did this and the clerk agreed. This was to make sure there are no discrepancies. You can never be too careful. There is a chance that the clerk may deny your request. In that case, apply for 2 sets and use the additional set for verifying.

Step 6: I received my college transcripts 3 days after applying. The clerk showed them to me as per my request. The set included - transcripts of each semester, a summary & the grading system. This was the college's own format. I verified all the details and then the clerk went ahead and sealed them in the college envelope and got it signed and sealed from the Director. Please note that college transcripts have to be signed & sealed by either the Director, the Principal or the Controller of Examinations. Please don't accept your transcripts if they've been signed or stamped by anyone else.

Step 7: Create an account on WES, enter all your information, pay the requisite fees and get the reference number. Write this reference number and WES address on both the envelopes - college & university. Write it with a simple pen in a clean & legible handwriting. No need to print and paste.

Step 8: Get a larger and durable envelope. I used an A3 envelope since the college had issued an A4 envelope. This is to avoid folding the envelopes as folded envelopes tend to get torn near the crease in transit. Write down (in bold) your WES reference number and WES address on the front side of this larger envelope. Optional - on the back side of the envelope, write down the contents of the envelope.

Step 9: Put your college envelope, the university envelope and 1 set of non-attested, legible photocopies of all your marksheets, degree certificate & convocation inside the larger envelope.

Step 10: Courier to WES. I used FedEx and the package reached on the 4th day.

Hereon, keep checking your WES account for updates. WES first reviews all the documents they receive and then starts the process of evaluation. So until they have reviewed all the documents, the status will say 'We received your documents. We are reviewing your documents.' Once your account reaches the status of 'We are reviewing your evaluation report', you are in the clear. If you scroll down, you'll see 'All documents were reviewed and accepted'. (My change in status happened after 10 days of them receiving the documents). From thereon, they may take up to 21 working days to finish your report.

I've tried to cover everything here and I hope it helps clear some of the confusion. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you for the step by step procedure. I'm considering using mailtranscripts and see that the website now does not have any option to upload PDF document at the time of submission like you have mentioned in Step 3. I understand from them that I just have to complete the payment online without submitting any documents and the rest is then done offline where their customer support team will reach out seeking more information. Also they told me that they can get all marksheets attested by Mumbai University including the ones issued by college. So a bit surprised you did it differently. Didn't Mailtranscripts offer you the same? As WES seems to prefers University attestation unless that is not possible for special cases like MU.

nabils121

Nov 16, 2018
Hey, I need to get my ECA done by WES for EE. I've read the entire thread and I felt fairly confident until I got back from the Churchgate office today.

A little background on me:
I've done BMM from Thakur College. FYBMM & SYBMM marksheets were issued by the college. TYBMM marksheets are issued by Mumbai University and after graduation I received a Convocation and a Passing Certificate from Mumbai University.

Here's what I've done so far for the ECA:

1. Got transcripts of Semesters I, II, III, IV, V, VI from Thakur College. They charged me Rs.1000 for this and put all the originals in an envelope and sealed it.

2. I took photocopies of the marksheets for Sem I, II, III, IV, V, VI + Convocation + Passing Certificate and submit it for attestation at the Churchgate Office today.

Now, I'm confused what to courier and how. What do I do the with the sealed envelope with the transcripts? Do I only need to courier the marksheets or do I need to courier the transcripts as well?

Any clarity on this will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

singhe14

Oct 14, 2018
Hi,
I need to send my documents to WES. I was checking for some courier offers by FedEx or DHL. But I got reply saying the student offers are valid only for sending courier to universities and not WES. And it would cost me Rs.4000.
So has anyone sent their documents through FedEx opting for student offer? And has it reached WES properly?
All any other chesper courieroption for sending documents?
Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the detailed info. Just wanted to check if I can take the transcripts from college for all sems and give it to university for attestation in 1 envelope

Sanchit.R

Nov 29, 2018
Hi,
Just wanted to confirm whether I am doing WES ECA right.
I have done B.Sc degree.My college has issued me transcript for all 6 semesters in a sealed and stamped envelope.
I am going to Mumbai university for attestation of all marksheets plus degree certificate. So I presume I will be getting another sealed and stamped envelope from Mumbai university.
After this I will be putting both the envelopes in another envelope and sending it to WES.This envelope need not be stamped and sealed but just stuck properly. Am I right or it is to be done differently?

Get the BMM first two years marksheets attested (stamped sealed ) by college. Wes will accept it. Most colleges are aware of this procedure. Tell them it's for higher studies, they'll know. Only get your third year and final passing degree and/or convocation attested by univ. please note All documents for both college and university will HAVE TO BE IN SEALED ENVELOPES. Wes will reject if u simply send them loose attested documents. So now u have two envelopes - one for college (fy +sy) & one for univ (ty+ degree) .. put both in one big envelope and send to Wes. Make sure Wes ref no is on all 3 envelopes. Good luck

Javshaggu

Nov 10, 2018
@cyberbuddy

Get all marksheets attested by the university.

You can do it for your wife.

I am going day after tomorrow to Vidhyarthi Bhavan for this attestation purpose.
HI So we dont need transcripts you meanr. So just the marsheets attested by Mumbai UNiversity is required. I thought we need transcripts in sealed envolpe to be sebd by the university

Ravikumar P

Dec 1, 2018
I went Mumbai University and was of the opinion that transcripts are your marksheets.. they told me to get the transcripts from the college and then only the attestation is possible. Sadly have to visit both the college's now... One for degree and then for master's...

siddg

Dec 3, 2018
@zagcollins Need your inputs on this process for WES verification.

I need do this for my aunt. The challenge being the original documents are with her in Canada. So how would the process work? I can obtain the transcripts from the colleges, and she has sent me scanned copes of all the marksheets by email.

Will the Mumbai University office at Fort attest these marksheets on the basis of the transcripts provided by college? Also will copies of marksheets issued and attested by Mumbai University , accepted by WES?

I plan to take an authorization letter as well as a letter of requesting academic records by WES. I guess that should work for the transcripts as well as for the attestation. I plan to take 2 copies of transcripts from college. Will break the seal for one, use it for verification of the copies. The other sealed will be sent as to WES, along with the sealed envelope contained copies attested by MU.

Final, final question. How does the whole postage think work? Do I get the sealed envelopes and send it, or does the university? Because I was thinking of taking a single big envelope that contains all the other envelopes and sending them all at once.

Thanks for your valuable contribution on this thread, this has probably saved me a ton of calls and running around talking to college and university folks. Cheers mate, you've made so many people's lives easier :D

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
@zagcollins Need your inputs on this process for WES verification.

I need do this for my aunt. The challenge being the original documents are with her in Canada. So how would the process work? I can obtain the transcripts from the colleges, and she has sent me scanned copes of all the marksheets by email.

Will the Mumbai University office at Fort attest these marksheets on the basis of the transcripts provided by college? Also will copies of marksheets issued and attested by Mumbai University , accepted by WES?

I plan to take an authorization letter as well as a letter of requesting academic records by WES. I guess that should work for the transcripts as well as for the attestation. I plan to take 2 copies of transcripts from college. Will break the seal for one, use it for verification of the copies. The other sealed will be sent as to WES, along with the sealed envelope contained copies attested by MU.

Final, final question. How does the whole postage think work? Do I get the sealed envelopes and send it, or does the university? Because I was thinking of taking a single big envelope that contains all the other envelopes and sending them all at once.

Thanks for your valuable contribution on this thread, this has probably saved me a ton of calls and running around talking to college and university folks. Cheers mate, you've made so many people's lives easier :D
1. You need the original documents. MU verifies the photocopies against the originals. Can you convince MU to do otherwise? This is India, I won't speculate.
2. WES has changed its rules as far as India is concerned from December 1, 2018. Therefore, MU will need to courier your documents to WES - previously, MU would attest it all and hand it over to the applicant. The applicant would then need to courier it. What's the new procedure and cost? No idea. Even I would love to know.
3. Marksheets and transcripts are different. You need transcripts for all courses that have been completed a decade (or more) ago. Anything lesser and marksheets + convocation are fine.

Please continue to monitor for subtle rule changes. I am now a veteran here and may get some of the information wrong :)

siddg

Dec 3, 2018
1. You need the original documents. MU verifies the photocopies against the originals. Can you convince MU to do otherwise? This is India, I won't speculate.
A man can try. I don't have my hopes up, but will still try.

2. WES has changed its rules as far as India is concerned from December 1, 2018. Therefore, MU will need to courier your documents to WES - previously, MU would attest it all and hand it over to the applicant. The applicant would then need to courier it. What's the new procedure and cost? No idea. Even I would love to know.
Spot On. My aunt told me about this yesterday, but luckily in her case, she registered before 1st December so I can still courier it for her, myself.

3. Marksheets and transcripts are different. You need transcripts for all courses that have been completed a decade (or more) ago. Anything lesser and marksheets + convocation are fine.
I see. This is interesting. I was hoping the transcripts from college + copies of original university marksheets would be enough. Thanks for the headsup, gonna ask around about this!

Please continue to monitor for subtle rule changes. I am now a veteran here and may get some of the information wrong :)
Definitely. Will do. Such is the nature of administrative processes hahaha. So far the collective information from the thread has taken me from having a zero idea of what to do, to atleast a fair idea of how and where to go. The rest is down to my specific case, unfortunately, which is also challenging.

PS:
This process was actually done 15 years ago by my grandfather, but unfortunately at this point he's quite old and his memories are quite fuzzy. So while I have a broad idea of what needs to be done, I have a fair bit of digging to do.

n2cool

Nov 16, 2018
A man can try. I don't have my hopes up, but will still try.

Spot On. My aunt told me about this yesterday, but luckily in her case, she registered before 1st December so I can still courier it for her, myself.

I see. This is interesting. I was hoping the transcripts from college + copies of original university marksheets would be enough. Thanks for the headsup, gonna ask around about this!

Definitely. Will do. Such is the nature of administrative processes hahaha. So far the collective information from the thread has taken me from having a zero idea of what to do, to atleast a fair idea of how and where to go. The rest is down to my specific case, unfortunately, which is also challenging.

PS:
This process was actually done 15 years ago by my grandfather, but unfortunately at this point he's quite old and his memories are quite fuzzy. So while I have a broad idea of what needs to be done, I have a fair bit of digging to do.
@siddg I'd say, ask your aunt to check her WES account page once again. Better to be safe than sorry. I registered for a WES account on 23rd Nov 2018 and I can see the change in the 'required documents' section. It does NOT show the option for me to directly courier the docs to WES Canada for my bachelors degree from India. That option is however available for me for my Masters degree that I attained in the UK so the rules for India definitely changed after 1st Dec2018.

@zagcollins
thanks for all your inputs on behalf of the whole immigration forum community. I’ve read most of them and I’m quite confident but still need to put my mind to rest.

I am flying to Mumbai next week specially from the UK to sort out this Mumbai University attestation process and hence, need your kind help on this. I graduated in B.Com. from RA Podar College, Matunga in 2004 (so I understand that the college issued transcript is required even before I step into the Churchgate office of MU).

My First and Second year exams (Sems 1 to 4) were conducted by RA Podar College, Matunga and the Third year exam was conducted by MU. So, all together I hold 3 original marklists - end of FY and SY issued to me by RA Podar College, Matunga and TY issued to me by MU. Plus, I have a convocation certificate from MU.

My questions are –

1) Does the college have to issues the transcripts to me for all the 3 years or just the FY and SY that they conducted the exams for?

2) Once the transcripts (as per 1 above) are received from the college, is the college supposed to attest these transcripts too or should I just take all the transcripts in the given condition, along with all three years’ original marklists and the convocation certificate to the MU churchgate office and get MU to attest everything, sign and stamp the back flap and they directly courier it to WES (as per the new rule that kicked in on 1st Dec 2018).

I’m confused with the attestation part of things because –

1) although the explanation on WES ‘Required Documents’ section says the institute that conducted the exam should attest (which for FY and SY is my college), there is a PDF with a list of acceptable colleges affiliated to MU which does NOT hold the name of RA Podar College, Matunga.

2) Also, some answers on this forum say that the applicants got 2 separate sets attested based on college or MU conducted exams and got respective envelopes signed and sealed one from the college and one for the university and then put them into a big envelope. Hence, so many questions.

Thanks in advance for any help with the above J

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
@siddg I'd say, ask your aunt to check her WES account page once again. Better to be safe than sorry. I registered for a WES account on 23rd Nov 2018 and I can see the change in the 'required documents' section. It does NOT show the option for me to directly courier the docs to WES Canada for my bachelors degree from India. That option is however available for me for my Masters degree that I attained in the UK so the rules for India definitely changed after 1st Dec2018.

@zagcollins
thanks for all your inputs on behalf of the whole immigration forum community. I’ve read most of them and I’m quite confident but still need to put my mind to rest.

I am flying to Mumbai next week specially from the UK to sort out this Mumbai University attestation process and hence, need your kind help on this. I graduated in B.Com. from RA Podar College, Matunga in 2004 (so I understand that the college issued transcript is required even before I step into the Churchgate office of MU).

My First and Second year exams (Sems 1 to 4) were conducted by RA Podar College, Matunga and the Third year exam was conducted by MU. So, all together I hold 3 original marklists - end of FY and SY issued to me by RA Podar College, Matunga and TY issued to me by MU. Plus, I have a convocation certificate from MU.

My questions are –

1) Does the college have to issues the transcripts to me for all the 3 years or just the FY and SY that they conducted the exams for? All three years and from college

2) Once the transcripts (as per 1 above) are received from the college, is the college supposed to attest these transcripts too or should I just take all the transcripts in the given condition, along with all three years’ original marklists and the convocation certificate to the MU churchgate office and get MU to attest everything, sign and stamp the back flap and they directly courier it to WES (as per the new rule that kicked in on 1st Dec 2018). College will give you originals, so there's no question of them attesting them as true copies. What I did was I got all photocopies of all documents attested from the uni, and sent them out in the same envelope (did not pull that whole FY-SY in one envelope and TY in another move).

I’m confused with the attestation part of things because –

1) although the explanation on WES ‘Required Documents’ section says the institute that conducted the exam should attest (which for FY and SY is my college), there is a PDF with a list of acceptable colleges affiliated to MU which does NOT hold the name of RA Podar College, Matunga.

2) Also, some answers on this forum say that the applicants got 2 separate sets attested based on college or MU conducted exams and got respective envelopes signed and sealed one from the college and one for the university and then put them into a big envelope. Hence, so many questions. This I cannot answer because previously in case of doubt you could send out 2 sets in the same envelope (one with all attested from uni and one with FY-SY from college and TY from uni). Now, with the uni entasked with sending out the couriers, no frigging idea.

Thanks in advance for any help with the above J

siddg

Dec 3, 2018
I see. Thanks for highlighting this, have asked her to check!

Javshaggu

Nov 10, 2018
Hey, I need to get my ECA done by WES for EE. I've read the entire thread and I felt fairly confident until I got back from the Churchgate office today.

A little background on me:
I've done BMM from Thakur College. FYBMM & SYBMM marksheets were issued by the college. TYBMM marksheets are issued by Mumbai University and after graduation I received a Convocation and a Passing Certificate from Mumbai University.

Here's what I've done so far for the ECA:

1. Got transcripts of Semesters I, II, III, IV, V, VI from Thakur College. They charged me Rs.1000 for this and put all the originals in an envelope and sealed it.

2. I took photocopies of the marksheets for Sem I, II, III, IV, V, VI + Convocation + Passing Certificate and submit it for attestation at the Churchgate Office today.

Now, I'm confused what to courier and how. What do I do the with the sealed envelope with the transcripts? Do I only need to courier the marksheets or do I need to courier the transcripts as well?

Any clarity on this will be really appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi Were you able to send the transcripts WES. COuld you please guide me th e whole process