+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES assessment of NMIMS distance learning Business Management diploma

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
Hi,

My brother, who has applied under the Express Entry scheme, has successfully completed the NMIMS diploma in Business Management by distance learning.

When going through the WES assessment, we (I am assisting him with the form filling and documentation side of things) had a few questions.

a) Under what category should he update this information on the WES website as? NMIMS is a "deemed university" in India. When entering the information in the WES website, can my brother list the diploma under "University education"?

b) The diploma is not a Post-Graduate Diploma, and can be undertaken by either a graduate or by school-leavers with work experience. In my brother's case, he undertook the course after his graduation. Would WES consider it a Post-Graduate Diploma? Would it make any difference to the the Express Entry requirements whether the diploma is just a diploma or a PG diploma?

Milan Desai

Oct 17, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I have gone through same process.
Applied for transcripts for PGDBM (DL mode) and staff were very courteous and generous.
Just have to call to their website and they’ll tell you instruction to follow.
Everything is online and you don’t have to go to university.
They’ll guide you to fill up the WES procedure.

Milan Desai

Oct 17, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
First he will get it evaluation for it as NMIMS is recognized institution. :cool:
I am not sure about his outcome as it is one year diploma, while mine was two year program.
If his evaluation comes with three year degree + one year post graduate program then only he will be eligible to claim points fro two and more degree.

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
"If his evaluation comes with three year degree + one year post graduate program then only he will be eligible to claim points fro two and more degree."
And that is what I have my doubts on. I think a one year (plain) diploma may be sufficient for the extra points for Express Entry. The wording on the public-facing CIC website is "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years". Given that his graduate degree was a three year course, I think that *any* other diploma would meet the requirements and that it need not be a post-graduate diploma.

Milan Desai

Oct 17, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Well to be eligible to claim for two and more degree, one of them should be for 3 year and more.
If he get equivalency for three year (bachelor) and one year (post graduate) he is all good and claim points for two.
But if one of them is from non recognized institute than he will not get point for it.

Oct 23, 2019
Hello Secret.Simon,

Has your brother received the ECA from the WES?

I am so keen to know the answer to the question you have posted since it is precisely about the 1-Year Diploma through NMIMS (I assume NMIMS as the NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education).

Thanks in advance.

jayant019

Apr 12, 2020
Hello @secret.simon and other people in the forum, I am also thinking of the same course. Could anyone please suggest whether the 1 year course will actually count towards Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years" . please any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks

Prerna2606

Jun 9, 2020
Hi,

My brother, who has applied under the Express Entry scheme, has successfully completed the NMIMS diploma in Business Management by distance learning.

When going through the WES assessment, we (I am assisting him with the form filling and documentation side of things) had a few questions.

a) Under what category should he update this information on the WES website as? NMIMS is a "deemed university" in India. When entering the information in the WES website, can my brother list the diploma under "University education"?

b) The diploma is not a Post-Graduate Diploma, and can be undertaken by either a graduate or by school-leavers with work experience. In my brother's case, he undertook the course after his graduation. Would WES consider it a Post-Graduate Diploma? Would it make any difference to the the Express Entry requirements whether the diploma is just a diploma or a PG diploma?
Hi, my sister also wants to do a 1yr distance course from NMIMS. Pls advise what was the WES evaluation in your case described above.

Reactions: aryan_agarwal

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
Hi,

We have just received the ECA from WES with regards to the "Diploma in Business Management" from NMIMS.

It has been given the Canadian Equivalency of "Undergraduate certificate (one year)".

That is in addition to the Bachelors of Engineering that my brother already held, which is given the Canadian equivalency of "Bachelor's degree (four years)".

Would that qualify him for points under "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees"?

Looking at this link on the Canada.ca website, the closest entry to my brother's combination is "Three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree plus a College Certificate".

Would an "Undergraduate certificate (one year)" as per WES map to "College Certificate" as per that list on the Canada.ca website?

The closest definition of "College Certificate" that I could find in that list was "One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute". And I think that an "Undergraduate diploma (one year)" fits that definition.

Thoughts and comments invited.

Reactions: SaurabhB

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
To add to the above, the list linked to above lists "Post-undergraduate certificate" and "Postgraduate certificate" as two separate entries. What is the difference between the two?

You still get the same CRS points for "Three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree plus a Post-undergraduate certificate" and "Three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree plus a Postgraduate certificate", but there does not seem to be a definition of the term "Post-undergraduate certificate".

Last edited:

Prerna2606

Jun 9, 2020
@secret.simon Your second message is confusing. As the 1st one, I understand, ur brother has following degrees recognized by WES:-
1) Bachelors Degree 4 years
2) Undergraduate Certificate 1 year

If this is correct, I understand, it should be applied under 2 or more Degrees, Diploma or Certificate. He should get the extra points.

chandigarh

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Hi,

We have just received the ECA from WES with regards to the "Diploma in Business Management" from NMIMS.

It has been given the Canadian Equivalency of "Undergraduate certificate (one year)".

That is in addition to the Bachelors of Engineering that my brother already held, which is given the Canadian equivalency of "Bachelor's degree (four years)".

Would that qualify him for points under "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees"?

Looking at this link on the Canada.ca website, the closest entry to my brother's combination is "Three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree plus a College Certificate".

Would an "Undergraduate certificate (one year)" as per WES map to "College Certificate" as per that list on the Canada.ca website?

The closest definition of "College Certificate" that I could find in that list was "One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute". And I think that an "Undergraduate diploma (one year)" fits that definition.

Thoughts and comments invited.
Hi Secret Simon... great information!!!
So, what option did you select while applying in wes portal?

SaurabhB

Sep 14, 2017
@secret.simon Hi, Thanks a lot for the above information. May I please know if your brother got the points for 'two or more certificates or no' after adding 'Undergraduate Certificate (One Year)' in his Express Entry Profile?

hp009

Aug 20, 2020
Hi @secret.simon, can you please tell if your brother got scores for the diploma course. I have done the same course from NMIMS and wondering if I can secure any points. My result is yet to come.

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
@secret.simon Hi, Thanks a lot for the above information. May I please know if your brother got the points for 'two or more certificates or no' after adding 'Undergraduate Certificate (One Year)' in his Express Entry Profile?
Hi @secret.simon, can you please tell if your brother got scores for the diploma course. I have done the same course from NMIMS and wondering if I can secure any points. My result is yet to come.
Hi All, my brother did get points for "Two certificates or more".