May 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Oct 31/2013
Hi everyone, I landed on June 23rd. Is it exactly taking 3 months to receive the PR card?

spaceexp

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
received by CIC 12-03-2014
AOR Received.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-11-2014 (IP 18-11-2014, mailed 03-12-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2014 , then again 13-02-2015 (DM 03-01-2015, PP&CoPR received 06-01-2015, returned to Ottawa because of a mistake, received again on 16-02-2015)
LANDED..........
16-02-2015
Diplomatru said:
If you don't have income you don't need to file tax return
Not really true. In 2014 I had a status of visitor in Canada, but since I got my residency in early 2015 and didn't leave in between, I was considered a resident for tax purposes from the day I arrived in Canada, and had to file taxes, although I had no income and didn't go for any benefits. I discussed it with an accountant and CRA and they both said I had to file taxes.

nihaocanada8 said:
Hello. I plan to do landing in the 1st week of Sept to activate the PR and then return to my home country. I will move permanently next year. my question is if I give my friend's address for the PR card does it mean that I would need to file the income tax this year even if I am not in canada ? because for income tax purpose I am a resident as I have given my friend's address. If it is true then I would rather not collect the PR card till I move over permanently. appreciate your views on this. Thanks
I advice you to call CRA and ask will they consider you a resident, and I believe they will, since you will be a permanent resident from landing, you will have to file taxes and report even income earned outside of Canada. Be careful with this, since if you argue you are not a resident for tax purposes, they can argue you are not resident at all.

waitingforfsw

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
herpderp said:
Just did this last weekend. Had no problems flying out of Canada. Coming back in, I had to drive a Budget rental car over the border. You just need your CoPR and Passport to cross. You can't cross the border on a bus or any other commercial transport.
Hi Herpderp,
I am in same situation i.e. waiting for PR (i have COPR) and am currently in USA.when you rented the car from budget did you take a canadian number plate car or did US number plated car worked?Is your licence a US licence? Also, was it a one way rental from US to Canada?

CICOtawa

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
Have any of you guys apply for travel document in Germany or Austria when you were outside Canada without your PR card?

Zico85

Jun 30, 2015
waitingforfsw said:
Hi Herpderp,
I am in same situation i.e. waiting for PR (i have COPR) and am currently in USA.when you rented the car from budget did you take a canadian number plate car or did US number plated car worked?Is your licence a US licence? Also, was it a one way rental from US to Canada?
When did you do your first landing ? Does the officer ask you if you spend 730.days in Canada before you leave or just have a look at your passport and your COPR ?

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
nihaocanada8 said:
Hello. I plan to do landing in the 1st week of Sept to activate the PR and then return to my home country. I will move permanently next year. my question is if I give my friend's address for the PR card does it mean that I would need to file the income tax this year even if I am not in canada ? because for income tax purpose I am a resident as I have given my friend's address. If it is true then I would rather not collect the PR card till I move over permanently. appreciate your views on this. Thanks
Every SIN holder need to file Tax return although you show 0 $ income

You can be in trouble for future
Good Luck

waitingforfsw

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
Zico85 said:
When did you do your first landing ? Does the officer ask you if you spend 730.days in Canada before you leave or just have a look at your passport and your COPR ?
i did my first landing in june 2015.after staying for two weeks came back to US to wind up.Now i want to go to Canada again as i have some job interviews.So want to know how does a rental car work?Does it have to be a way rental with Canada number plate?

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Zico85 said:
I landed 21/05/2015. and am still waiting my PR card .My mailing address on my ECAS has not updated yet although I provided my Canadian mailing address once I landed . Is it normal ?

could I enter canda from USA just with my passport and COPR Although I left Canada before 730 days ? . If you have experinced something like that, please let me know.
It's not that you have to wait for 730 days before you leave. What they mean is that after you become a PR, you have to stay in Canada for 730 days in a 5 year period. Since you are a new PR, this is not a concern for you. Just drive up to the border with your CoPR and passport and you will be just fine.

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
waitingforfsw said:
Hi Herpderp,
I am fairly sure your licence plate number is not going to matter since, and this is an assumption, it is going to be a one way rental and it's not like you plan on lying to the CBSA officers. They would know why you are driving a rental and since you are entering on a private vehicle, it is not going to make a difference if the licence plate is Canadian or American. Confirm with seniors though. Good luck.

Zico85

Jun 30, 2015
waitingforfsw said:
i did my first landing in june 2015.after staying for two weeks came back to US to wind up.Now i want to go to Canada again as i have some job interviews.So want to know how does a rental car work?Does it have to be a way rental with Canada number plate?

I am in the same situation that's why I am not quite sure . But on of our friends here replied on your question and said it shouldn't be a problem . Please , let me know once you pass the boarder.

thelio

Nov 14, 2014
Thanks :) I have sent new residents at my address a mail to explain the situation, and try to stop Canadapost mail forwarding service now. Hope this would work.

spaceexp said:
No problem, I try to help if I can :) At least you know on time, so you can make arrangements. I am sure most people are normal enough to understand such a situation and contact you if/when they get it (if you explain it to them politely).

Captain_Prince

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Hello Seniors,

I have recently done my landing in Canada and have the following questions regarding receiving PR card.
1) I have changed mailing address online I called CIC today they said I need to wait till 10 working days and then follow it up with them if it does not get updated. what is the normal processing time for updating of address?

2) I will leave Canada in next 10 days is it possible for my relatives to the courier the cards to me outside Canada or in anyway bring it in person outside Canada. Is there any other requirement during the process where I should be inside Canada

Regards,

Captain

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spaceexp said:
Not really true. In 2014 I had a status of visitor in Canada, but since I got my residency in early 2015 and didn't leave in between, I was considered a resident for tax purposes from the day I arrived in Canada, and had to file taxes, although I had no income and didn't go for any benefits. I discussed it with an accountant and CRA and they both said I had to file taxes.

I advice you to call CRA and ask will they consider you a resident, and I believe they will, since you will be a permanent resident from landing, you will have to file taxes and report even income earned outside of Canada. Be careful with this, since if you argue you are not a resident for tax purposes, they can argue you are not resident at all.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/flng-blgtns/menu-eng.html

traxton

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
Captain_Prince said:
Hello Seniors,

I have recently done my landing in Canada and have the following questions regarding receiving PR card.
1) I have changed mailing address online I called CIC today they said I need to wait till 10 working days and then follow it up with them if it does not get updated. what is the normal processing time for updating of address?

2) I will leave Canada in next 10 days is it possible for my relatives to the courier the cards to me outside Canada or in anyway bring it in person outside Canada. Is there any other requirement during the process where I should be inside Canada

Regards,

Captain
1) Don't know, but just call back 10 days or more later to ask whether they have your updated address in the system. I also changed my address after landing and the PR card went to my new address.

2) Yes, I DHL-ed my spouse's PR card to an overseas address and my spouse received it without any issues. I'd recommend not to use Canada Post as I have heard rumours / stories on this forum of Canada Post returning the PR card to the sender when the processing team found a PR card in the mailing package. Whereas folks (like myself) who used DHL/FedEx/UPS had no issues.