+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for a reply, work permit expiring soon... what can I do?

icantskate

Jan 27, 2015
Hi All,

I applied for PR through the Family Class in August 2015. There's a 26 month wait period so I may not have an answer until October 2017.
I misunderstood this before, but just found out I may need another work permit. Mine expires in a couple of weeks and I had previously understood that I could keep working under "Implied Status" while I wait for my PR. But it appears this may not be the case.

My Post-Grad Work Permit is what I've been working under for nearly three years. Can I apply for an Open Work Permit to tide me until the response about my PR? Or is there another kind of bridging permit? I've seen evidence of a bridging permit on the CIC website but it seems to be only for people applying under CEC, not Family Class.

Thanks!

Canadian_Irish_

Star Member
May 27, 2016
icantskate said:
Hi All,

I applied for PR through the Family Class in August 2015. There's a 26 month wait period so I may not have an answer until October 2017.
I misunderstood this before, but just found out I may need another work permit. Mine expires in a couple of weeks and I had previously understood that I could keep working under "Implied Status" while I wait for my PR. But it appears this may not be the case.

My Post-Grad Work Permit is what I've been working under for nearly three years. Can I apply for an Open Work Permit to tide me until the response about my PR? Or is there another kind of bridging permit? I've seen evidence of a bridging permit on the CIC website but it seems to be only for people applying under CEC, not Family Class.

Thanks!
If you applied inland then you are eligible to apply for an open work permit. :)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2015-12-11.asp

icantskate

Jan 27, 2015
Canadian_Irish_ said:
Haha I just took that out because I see it's not a requirement. But it means approval in principle.
Haha whoops!
So the fact that I've had a post-grad work permit doesn't affect my eligibility for an open work permit? That's great.
Thanks for your help!

Canadian_Irish_

Star Member
May 27, 2016
icantskate said:
Haha whoops!
So the fact that I've had a post-grad work permit doesn't affect my eligibility for an open work permit? That's great.
Thanks for your help!
Not a problem at all! Send it as soon as possible though, before your current one expires, then you'll be on implied status while waiting for them to process it. Good luck!!

icantskate

Jan 27, 2015
Canadian_Irish_ said:
Not a problem at all! Send it as soon as possible though, before your current one expires, then you'll be on implied status while waiting for them to process it. Good luck!!
Will send it off tomorrow, its all ready to go! Thank you so mucb!

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
icantskate said:
Will send it off tomorrow, its all ready to go! Thank you so mucb!
Be sure you send your PR app info (file#, UCI#, etc) along with the OWP so they know that you do indeed have a PR app underway and qualify for the OWP.

icantskate

Jan 27, 2015
sawadee-eh said:
Be sure you send your PR app info (file#, UCI#, etc) along with the OWP so they know that you do indeed have a PR app underway and qualify for the OWP.
Thanks, will do!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
icantskate said:
Haha whoops!
Thanks for your help!
There has been much debate here regarding those with an expiring PGWP and what Implied Status means for them. The overwhelming consensus is that you should stop working until you have received the OWP. You will have Implied Status (as a visitor) to remain in Canada, but continuing to work is risky. This is because the PGWP cannot be extended.

If you had included the OWP with your Inland application, you would have received the OWP in ~ 4 months (end of December last year). This would have also given you Implied Status. Since you did NOT include it with the Inland application, you are NOT under Implied Status now. If you submit the OWP before your PGWP expires (make sure to pay the full amount of $255 [$155 + $100]), you will have Implied Status...as a visitor.

The Inland application does not generate Implied Status...is the the OWP that is submitted with the application that does. Many people have made this same mistake. Fortunately, you still have a small window of time to get the OWP submitted before your status expires.

Good luck!

icantskate

Jan 27, 2015
Ponga said:
There has been much debate here regarding those with an expiring PGWP and what Implied Status means for them. The overwhelming consensus is that you should stop working until you have received the OWP. You will have Implied Status (as a visitor) to remain in Canada, but continuing to work is risky. This is because the PGWP cannot be extended.

If you had included the OWP with your Inland application, you would have received the OWP in ~ 4 months (end of December last year). This would have also given you Implied Status. Since you did NOT include it with the Inland application, you are NOT under Implied Status now. If you submit the OWP before your PGWP expires (make sure to pay the full amount of $255 [$155 + $100]), you will have Implied Status...as a visitor.

The Inland application does not generate Implied Status...is the the OWP that is submitted with the application that does. Many people have made this same mistake. Fortunately, you still have a small window of time to get the OWP submitted before your status expires.

Good luck!
So you think I should stop working until my OWP comes through even if I submit before the end of my PGWP?

Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
icantskate said:
So you think I should stop working until my OWP comes through even if I submit before the end of my PGWP?

Thanks!
Personally...I do.

Search this forum and you will find a handful of threads discussing this topic.