+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa (TRV) for spouse/partner

blackwood96

Jan 15, 2022
I was wondering if anyone went through the following similar experience:

A partner was granted a visitor visa (TRV) on the premise of visiting her/his friend (on the letter of invitation), prior to getting married to a Canadian (marriage took place outside of Canada). Upon entry into Canada as a foreign national who is now married to a Canadian residing in Canada, what is the preferred option when communicating with the border control services officer?

Option #1: should the foreign national stay their ground and state that their reason for visit is as per the letter of invitation (i.e. reuniting with the friend)?

Downside: once my spouse has entered Canada we will be applying for spousal sponsorship and not sure if the stated intent of visit would fall under "misrepresentation" and that we would have the application rejected (since we would have gotten married prior to the spouse's entry into Canada).

Option #2: even though the visa was granted for another intent, would it be okay to state the new reason upon entry into Canada (i.e. to reunite with spouse, and in the meantime apply for spousal sponsorship).

Downside: would there be a risk that the border control agent sends that person back home if the reason for visit has now evolved from visiting a friend to staying/living with her/his spouse whilst the spousal sponsorship application is being processed? i.e. sent back because risk of overstay, even though the visa was granted already.

Any insight into this from previous experience is much appreciated :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

A partner was granted a visitor visa (TRV) on the premise of visiting her/his friend (on the letter of invitation), prior to getting married to a Canadian (marriage took place outside of Canada). Upon entry into Canada as a foreign national who is now married to a Canadian residing in Canada, what is the preferred option when communicating with the border control services officer?

Option #1: should the foreign national stay their ground and state that their reason for visit is as per the letter of invitation (i.e. reuniting with the friend)?

Downside: once my spouse has entered Canada we will be applying for spousal sponsorship and not sure if the stated intent of visit would fall under "misrepresentation" and that we would have the application rejected (since we would have gotten married prior to the spouse's entry into Canada).

Option #2: even though the visa was granted for another intent, would it be okay to state the new reason upon entry into Canada (i.e. to reunite with spouse, and in the meantime apply for spousal sponsorship).

Downside: would there be a risk that the border control agent sends that person back home if the reason for visit has now evolved from visiting a friend to staying/living with her/his spouse whilst the spousal sponsorship application is being processed? i.e. sent back because risk of overstay, even though the visa was granted already.

Answers to CBSA must always be 100% honest. Keep the answers short and don't add details that haven't been requested. The dangerous territory with CBSA is not answering questions honestly. There's no danger with the spousal sponsorship application. The danger is making a material misrepresentation to CBSA at the POE which they figure out on the spot and then potentially deny entry to Canada or even issue an exlcusion order depending on their level of displeasure at what you've done. Don't mess around with CBSA.

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015

Honesty is the best policy. Although you do not need to provide information that has not been requested.

Reactions: blackwood96

TT222

Sep 21, 2015

Hi I am in the exact same situation as yours, did your spouse came to Canada already, if yes how was the experience. Any insights would be really helpful. Did you buy the return ticket?