+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa - How much money in the bank?

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
My brother's gf is applying for a visa and we plan to put about 5000 in her bank as proof of financial ability to support herself... from reading the forms, i think we need to leave that money there for a couple of months before applying for the visitor visa...i will send her an invitation letter from canada...

As of now, they really don't have a legal relationship other than bf/gf (never common-law, not married)...

Is there a rule of how much money she'd need to be approved for a visa?
Example, $5000 for 6 months, $10,000 for 12 months?

She has other proof that she will come home (employment contract and apt. lease).

Thanks

L

limanoid

Amount needed to visit Canada? It depends. From what I've been told by a someone at the visa office, she said, for one, that it depends on the situation. Though she wouldn't elaborate or comment on an approximate amount as there is no specific amount. Essentially, 'it depends'... There is no rule. Or at least one that is told to the public.

If she is staying free with her boyfriend, then she needs less in total. He would need to say in the letter of invitation that this is the case -- that she has no living expenses. He may need to prove that he has a place for her to stay (ie. he would submit a copy of his lease). What will she be doing in Canada during this time? That could affect the amount needed. Being rent-free, $5000 would probably be enough for 6 months.

And I am pretty sure that you can only apply for a visa of 6 months (you can reapply later, though, for an extension). So 12 months isn't possible, I think.

Proof that she will go home is necessary, so if she has it, great.

Though, I have no clue if she would have to have had the money there for a couple of months. I never saw a TRV form saying that the bank statement must be many from various months to prove that she has had it for awhile.

cezvi

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 01, 2010
AOR Received.
Oct 14, 2010
File Transfer...
Sep 30, 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 21, 2010
Interview........
none/waived
Passport Req..
Oct 14, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 15, 2010
LANDED..........
January 13, 2011
It's not just proof that she'll go home after her posted stay here, they'll ask about her proof of funds as well.
I just wanted to add that when she is asked for an interview, they will ask her how she came about the money in her bank, how she has that much money in her bank? The reason is my cousin applied for a TRV last year and they refused his application because they didn't believe that the money was his. Not sure how he answered about how he got the money though.. He does have a job but I guess they didn't believe him that he earned all that money. My Aunt here, his mother, put that money in his bank account for him to show that he has funds for his stay here. But still, his TRV was refused because his proof of funds was questionable.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
it depends on the situation, on how much she declares she will spend and on how long she wants to stay; if she does not stay long time but she shows she has a lot then maybe it will look suspicious for them; i read a case on this website (under visitor visa section) when a guy was rejected his visit visa on the basis that he will not return to his home country since he has the family and a lot of finance to support himself; he did put a lot of money in his account to show for his finance

when i applied for my bf we put around 2000$ in the account and the vacation was to stay 2 weeks; u have to show account activity from the past 3 months at least, that was the requirement from where we applied; also, i clearly declared that he will be staying with me, i will take care of all the expenses for his visit; well, at the end he didn't get it but not because of finance, but because of what i said before: if u don't convince them that she will leave Canada and she has to what/whom to go back, it's very hard to get.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
That's only if you will be staying with friends or family. If you are just a tourist, $800 a month won't get you far.
There is no set amount - the visa officers have a lot of leeway to decide how much is needed and what other conditions must be met. A friend of my husband's from Nigeria has more than $1,000,000 (US) in the bank, a mansion in Lagos, and a wife and kids who were staying at home, and he was refused a tourist visa to the States.

stelimeli

Dec 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2014
Doc's Request.
12-05-2015
Nomination.....
11-03-2015
Med's Request
16-02-2016
Med's Done....
23-02-2016
Passport Req..
22-03-2016
Guys, an urgent question!

Just noticed the bank statement of my mother is issued in home currency that is not a convertible one. Should I ask for another bank statement or it is ok to upload the file this way?

Thank you!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
canadianwoman said:
That's only if you will be staying with friends or family. If you are just a tourist, $800 a month won't get you far.
There is no set amount - the visa officers have a lot of leeway to decide how much is needed and what other conditions must be met. A friend of my husband's from Nigeria has more than $1,000,000 (US) in the bank, a mansion in Lagos, and a wife and kids who were staying at home, and he was refused a tourist visa to the States.
Exactly. My wife's mother claimed $500 CAD in the bank when she applied. We supplied an invitation letter from me, and my earning statements (as she would clearly be "occupying" our home). She was approved without question.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
stelimeli said:
Guys, an urgent question!

Just noticed the bank statement of my mother is issued in home currency that is not a convertible one. Should I ask for another bank statement or it is ok to upload the file this way?

Thank you!
Should be ok as it is. I am sure they would assume it's not in a foreign currency.

stelimeli

Dec 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2014
Doc's Request.
12-05-2015
Nomination.....
11-03-2015
Med's Request
16-02-2016
Med's Done....
23-02-2016
Passport Req..
22-03-2016

Jenjane

Sep 21, 2016
Hello!

I just recently got married to a Canadian last December. I am applying for a tourist visa to Canada since we haven't got on the drumroll on the spousal visa. My husband has been in Kuala Lumpur for a couple of months and now is planning to go back to Canada. Do I still need to provide a letter of invitation and proof of financial status?

Another added information, my husband and I have been on a courtship online for 4 years and I did apply for a tourist visa on 2 subsequent months, I was rejected on both occassions...so he came to Kuala Lumpur and we tied the knot.