+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for girlfriend refused

Mathieu

Apr 12, 2017
Me and my girlfriend are currently working in Singapore. I am Canadian and she is Indonesian. We were planning to spend 2 weeks in Canada to visit the family as I've been here for more than a year already. I helped fill the visa application and we just got the answer that it was refused for the following reason:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
travel history
immigration status in country of residence
Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
Purpose of visit
Employment prospects in country of residence
Personal assets and financial status

I though I would have enough to show that she won't stay there. She has her flight tickets, her employer's letter, her work visa in Singapore, her bank statement with almost 3k and my invitation letter. In the letter I mention we are vising my parents and are coming back in Singapour afterward for work. I also showed proof of my employment here as well as proof of our relationships (old msg between us).

Do we have anymore recourse?
Any tip on what we could add in for another try?
I'm not sure how much more I could add. Maybe a letter from my parents also?
What does "immigration status in country of residence" could mean?

It is frustrating not being able to answer any question and just being refused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your recourse is to reapply with a stronger application.

'Immigration status in country of residence' means she does not have permanent residency in the country she is applying from. Unfortunately this substantially weakens her ties to that country in CIC's eyes.

Can she show any further ties to Singapore? Rental agreement for the place where you are living? Pay stubs? Letter from her employer confirming the length of her vacation? Can she show any ties to her home country? Property owned? Anything like that?

You want to focus on providing more evidence of her ties outside of Canada. No - don't add a letter from your parents. This may harm more than help since it increases her ties to Canada.

Mathieu

Apr 12, 2017
Oh good point about the letter from parents.

She does have a house in her home country with her sister. I'll check to see if we can get paper from that. Thanks for the help I appreciate!

open4life

Feb 24, 2017
I'm about to apply for a tourism visa too.
My aim is to know more about Canada, as i'm planning to immigrate there.

only have 3 questions;
1) would it help to receive a letter of invitation from a Canadian friend ? or it will weaken my case? PS. i have a good financial conditions (bank statement ~30K C$)

2) should i mention that my intention is to explore Canada, or just mention it is for tourism solely?

3) would it be harder if i accompany my family within the same visa application?

thanks

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
open4life said:
I'm about to apply for a tourism visa too.
My aim is to know more about Canada, as i'm planning to immigrate there.

only have 3 questions;
1) would it help to receive a letter of invitation from a Canadian friend ? or it will weaken my case? PS. i have a good financial conditions (bank statement ~30K C$)

2) should i mention that my intention is to explore Canada, or just mention it is for tourism solely?

3) would it be harder if i accompany my family within the same visa application?

thanks
1. It will help a little bit, but showing your $30k is the priority.

2. What's the difference between "explore" and "tourism" for you? Not sure I understand why you have to distinguish those two.

3. Case to case basis, depends on your family's profile.

open4life

Feb 24, 2017
Thanks @bellaluna for your reply

Yeah, i wasn't clear.

I meant by exploring "is to explore the country as an intro for my immigration to it"

kiranone

Sep 10, 2014
Mathieu said:
Me and my girlfriend are currently working in Singapore. I am Canadian and she is Indonesian. We were planning to spend 2 weeks in Canada to visit the family as I've been here for more than a year already. I helped fill the visa application and we just got the answer that it was refused for the following reason:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
travel history
immigration status in country of residence
Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
Purpose of visit
Employment prospects in country of residence
Personal assets and financial status

I though I would have enough to show that she won't stay there. She has her flight tickets, her employer's letter, her work visa in Singapore, her bank statement with almost 3k and my invitation letter. In the letter I mention we are vising my parents and are coming back in Singapour afterward for work. I also showed proof of my employment here as well as proof of our relationships (old msg between us).

Do we have anymore recourse?
Any tip on what we could add in for another try?
I'm not sure how much more I could add. Maybe a letter from my parents also?
What does "immigration status in country of residence" could mean?

It is frustrating not being able to answer any question and just being refused.
Hi
How many days it took for them to reject you visa

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
open4life said:
Thanks @bellaluna for your reply

Yeah, i wasn't clear.

I meant by exploring "is to explore the country as an intro for my immigration to it"
Oh, don't mention that. Plain tourism is fine.

open4life

Feb 24, 2017
Appreciate your replies,
i started to build my application , however i can't find a section or an instruction for my previous travel history, or the visas i had on my passport.
am i missing something?