+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension Withdrawn

annihilat1on

Mar 14, 2017
Hello,

I'm extremely confused with the whole visitor visa extension process. I've been in Canada for a few months and need to extend my visitor visa after I get married on April 14. My visitor visa to Canada expires on June 11. I tried to extend it before the wedding stating that I would like to explore more of Canada (which is completely true) and I got the following letter online:

Can someone please help me with the step by step process on how to get my visitor (tourist) visa to Canada extended while I still am in Canada?

This is in reference to your application for a temporary resident visa.
The Temporary Resident Unit of the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa (CPC-O) only processes temporary resident
visa applications from foreign national currently holding valid temporary resident status in Canada (i.e. work or
study permit).
Our office is unable to process your application for a temporary resident visa. According to our records, you have
applied for a temporary resident visa and it appears that you intended to apply for a visitor record.
If you would like to apply for a visitor record or visitor record extension, please go to the following link:
• http: // www . cic . gc . ca / english / visit / extend-stay . asp
If you have already applied to extend or restore your status, please note that you should wait until your status is
restored or extended before submitting an application to obtain a temporary resident visa.
Should you need to travel urgently, please note that you retain the option of applying for a new temporary resident
visa (or for a new work or study permit) at the Canadian mission responsible for your country of citizenship or
responsible for the country where you will be lawfully admitted.
Since processing had not already started on your application, you are eligible to receive a refund of your processing
fees for this application.
Your file has now been closed and no processing will take place. If you wish to submit a new application, you will
have to resubmit all required documents and pay new processing fees.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Are you using the terms correctly? You can't extend a visitor visa, you can only extend visitor *status*.
Do you mean to say that your stay was only granted (the stamp upon entry by CBSA officer) until June 11?
Or is June 11 the expiry date printed on your TRV?
A visa is a document that grants you entry. Your status is the authorized period of stay.

If you did apply for an extension with the process at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
then they probably missent you this message.

If you tried to apply for a visitor visa from within Canada without a work or study permit (and you incorrectly entered "Canada" as your country of residence even if you don't have a work/study permit, hence it got sent to Ottawa), then that's why you got this message.

Reactions: annihilat1on

bshailesh3

Sep 28, 2013
Hi

It means we cannot extend dependent visitor visa from inside CANADA .

I am also in same situation, where my spouse have six months visa but we applied for visitor record once inside CANADA. Now my spouse suppose to get multiple entry visa so that she can go out of CANADA and re entry again.

Please guide how we can handle this situation.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bellaluna said:
Are you using the terms correctly? You can't extend a visitor visa, you can only extend visitor *status*.
Do you mean to say that your stay was only granted (the stamp upon entry by CBSA officer) until June 11?
A visa is a document that grants you entry. Your status is the authorized period of stay.

If you did apply for an extension with the process at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

If you tried to apply for a visitor visa from within Canada without a work or study permit (and you incorrectly entered "Canada" as your country of residence even if you don't have a work/study permit, hence it got sent to Ottawa), then that's why you got this message.
1. You are probably correct, that the OP applied for a TRV rather than extension of the visitor status.

Reactions: annihilat1on

annihilat1on

Mar 14, 2017

Thank you!