+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Record expiry date vs Canada re-entry

xiangguoXG

Jun 13, 2023
I have obtained my visitor record with expiry date May 4th 2024. Say if I now exit Canada in August 1st 2023 and re-enter Canada in September 1st 2023. Can I still stay in Canada until May 4th 2024? My Canada visa is valid until 2026.

I am asking this question because:

1. Usually visitor can only stay in Canada for half a year from the date they enter Canada.
2. If the expiry date respects visitor record, I can stay until May 4th 2024 which will be longer than the half year requirement for my re-entry.

For such Canada re-entry situation, which expiry date takes privilege? Will visitor record expiry date become invalid if I exit Canada before that date? It will be great if I can get the regulation reference for the answer. Thanks!

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
I have obtained my visitor record with expiry date May 4th 2024. Say if I now exit Canada in August 1st 2023 and re-enter Canada in September 1st 2023. Can I still stay in Canada until May 4th 2024? My Canada visa is valid until 2026.

1. Usually visitor can only stay in Canada for half a year from the date they enter Canada.
2. If the expiry date respects visitor record, I can stay until May 4th 2024 which will be longer than the half year requirement for my re-entry.

For such Canada re-entry situation, which expiry date takes privilege? Will visitor record expiry date become invalid if I exit Canada before that date? It will be great if I can get the regulation reference for the answer. Thanks!
Once a person departs Canada they cease to be a visitor - the existing Visitor Record no longer has any effect.

R183(2)(4)

Authorized period ends

(4) The period authorized for a temporary resident’s stay ends on the earliest of
  • (a) the day on which the temporary resident leaves Canada without obtaining prior authorization to re-enter Canada
Every time a person seeks to enter Canada they are subject to examination, so if a person who was a visitor leaves and then seeks to re-enter they can be examined and possibly be granted entry for temporary period or refused entry.

A person doesn't leave and then return and again pick up the terms and conditions of the Visitor's Record because that ended when the person departed Canada.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-23.html#h-688400

Reactions: Ponga

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022

You can leave and re-enter as long as the visit is to USA, and some places. More here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/return.html

Can you please share the timeline of your VR application ? Did you do it from within Canada ? Good that you were given 1 year. Usually its 6months that CBSA gives at ports of entry. Call both IRCC and CBSA to confirm.