+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visible minorities, pay heed - The grass is not green in Canada

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
So if all governments do this, why are you bringing it up as if it's specific to the Canadian government? And I still don't see how hiding mental illness rates benefits the government at all. Sounds like more half-baked conspiracy theories to me.
If Canadian government discloses the actual figures of mental illness do you think anyone in their right mind would want to immigrate here. Immigrants are bringing tons of money into Canada. Secondly Canada's ranking in (World Health Organization) WHO and also rating as one of the best countries to live in the world will also suffer severely.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
newtone said:
If Canadian government discloses the actual figures of mental illness do you think anyone in their right mind would want to immigrate here. Immigrants are bringing tons of money into Canada. Secondly Canada's ranking in (World Health Organization) WHO and also rating as one of the best countries to live in the world will also suffer severely.
I bet that you never even thought of checking mental illness figures when deciding to immigrate to Canada. And, I bet that 99.9% of other immigrants fall into the same boat. So again, why would the Government bother skewing or altering such a meaningless stat?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Obviously duh! who checks that stat when immigrating to a new country, instead they come in forums like this and get eye washed by people like you who edify and glorify Canada and compare it to heaven. And mental health issues is something that started recently in Canada not since the dawn of time. I personally think because people have to struggle like dogs just to make bear minimum wage and the rate of living is sky rocketing like there is no tomorrow. How are people supposed to support their families with these kind of outrageous costs. Read the Toronto Star today there is a lovely story about so many people struggling just to keep pace with cost of living. Read my statement again if you cant understand it then I really have nothing to say :(

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
An interesting read for those that believe democracy is very much alive.
It is a case of "we had to destroy the village in order to save it" - during the Vietnam war. Today it is, we have to break the law to enforce it.

Interesting times we live in...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/10/stingray-spying-fbi-phone-dragnet-police#comments

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
newtone said:
Obviously duh! who checks that stat when immigrating to a new country, instead they come in forums like this and get eye washed by people like you who edify and glorify Canada and compare it to heaven. And mental health issues is something that started recently in Canada not since the dawn of time. I personally think because people have to struggle like dogs just to make bear minimum wage and the rate of living is sky rocketing like there is no tomorrow. How are people supposed to support their families with these kind of outrageous costs. Read the Toronto Star today there is a lovely story about so many people struggling just to keep pace with cost of living. Read my statement again if you cant understand it then I really have nothing to say :(
I come to this forum to post my opinions based on my own personal experience. I'm sorry to hear that your experience in Canada hasn't been as positive, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for any immigrant to do well here. Others have been, and will continue to be, more successful than you, and that's something you need to accept. You keep posting these negative statements while constantly stating that everyone else will have the same experience as you which is obviously not the case.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
I have a very decent standard of living in my country right now, yet I am willing, even eager to immigrate to Canada. The horror stories I have read on this forum may have got me worried, but not to the extent of deterring me. I'm sure there are many others like me. I call it itchy feet and a desire to see what's over the horizon. On the other hand, people have said I'm crazy to contemplate trying to start afresh at this stage of my life. So maybe I'm already crazy to begin with, and actually immigrating will be the culmination of a long downward slide into madness.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
I come to this forum to post my opinions based on my own personal experience. I'm sorry to hear that your experience in Canada hasn't been as positive, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for any immigrant to do well here. Others have been, and will continue to be, more successful than you, and that's something you need to accept. You keep posting these negative statements while constantly stating that everyone else will have the same experience as you which is obviously not the case.
Like you I come to this forum to post my opinions based on my experience. I never said its not possible for any immigrants to do well here, this is something "YOU ARE SAYING". Stop putting words in my mouth and taking things out of context, don't make your personality disorder a public issue. All I am saying the probability of failure is Canada is much higher compared to anywhere in the developed world. So be aware, word of caution, you all have been warned. The reasons is because of a broken immigration system, government give high points to educated and skilled immigrants with international global experience while companies here are either closing down or laying off workers at best. (i.e: Canada does not have any manufacturing industry, they are just piggy backing on USA economy) This leaves most talented immigrants doing menial jobs to make ends meet. More importantly I will keep posting until people such as yourself get this through your thick skull and come to accept the fact that:

1) Canada has a broken immigration system
2) Companies are closing down
3) White collar jobs are hard to find
4) Canada is over exaggerated as a place to live
5) Cost of living is not realistic
6) Most new immigrants are the new poor class
7) Asking for Canadian experience is a discriminatory and unfortunately practiced openly
This list can go on for atleast another 100 points but I don't have time to put everything down

Now you can ignore all these points and continue to live inside the comfort of your protective shell and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. (be it living with mommy and daddy, or renting a basement for an outrageous price of $1000) But I believe this is something that prospective immigrants need to know before they decide to come here. Sadly its not publicized, hopefully this forum can be used as means to help people to better understand challenges and problems that lie ahead of them. This way they can make a rational decision about moving here in the first place.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigrant families increasingly likely to rely on food banks
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/immigrant-families-increasingly-likely-to-rely-on-food-banks-1.1168488

Peel Region a destination for immigrants, but jobs lacking
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/04/08/peel_region_a_destination_for_immigrants_but_jobs_lacking.html

National Household Survey: Immigrants, minorities struggle in Canada
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/09/11/national_household_survey_immigrants_minorities_struggle_in_canada.html

Ontario falling behind its own poverty reduction goals
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/11/24/ontario_falling_behind_its_own_poverty_reduction_goals.html

Nearly a quarter of Toronto residents live in poverty: James
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/06/11/nearly_a_quarter_of_toronto_residents_live_in_poverty_james.html

Canada Immigration: Foreign Skilled Workers Struggle To Find Jobs In Their Professions
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/19/canada-immigration-foreign-skilled-workers_n_2293003.html?

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
newtone said:
Like you I come to this forum to post my opinions based on my experience. I never said its not possible for any immigrants to do well here, this is something "YOU ARE SAYING". Stop putting words in my mouth and taking things out of context, don't make your personality disorder a public issue. All I am saying the probability of failure is Canada is much higher compared to anywhere in the developed world. So be aware, word of caution, you all have been warned. The reasons is because of a broken immigration system, government give high points to educated and skilled immigrants with international global experience while companies here are either closing down or laying off workers at best. (i.e: Canada does not have any manufacturing industry, they are just piggy backing on USA economy) This leaves most talented immigrants doing menial jobs to make ends meet. More importantly I will keep posting until people such as yourself get this through your thick skull and come to accept the fact that:

1) Canada has a broken immigration system
2) Companies are closing down
3) White collar jobs are hard to find
4) Canada is over exaggerated as a place to live
5) Cost of living is not realistic
6) Most new immigrants are the new poor class
7) Asking for Canadian experience is a discriminatory and unfortunately practiced openly
This list can go on for atleast another 100 points but I don't have time to put everything down

Now you can ignore all these points and continue to live inside the comfort of your protective shell and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. (be it living with mommy and daddy, or renting a basement for an outrageous price of $1000) But I believe this is something that prospective immigrants need to know before they decide to come here. Sadly its not publicized, hopefully this forum can be used as means to help people to better understand challenges and problems that lie ahead of them. This way they can make a rational decision about moving here in the first place.
Brother,
Be positive.
Work hard and live happily

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Quick facts on racism in Canada today:
•50 percent of First Nations children live in poverty compared to 17 percent for other Canadians.
•Aboriginal workers earn an average of $19,000 compared to $33,000 for other Canadians.
•The infant mortality rate is one and half times higher for First Nations than other Canadians.
•The average life expectancy for Aboriginal women and men is five and nine years less, respectively, than other Canadians.
•Black males living in Toronto are three times more likely to be stopped and asked for identification by police.
•There were 1,401 reported hate crimes in Canada in 2010.
•Employers are about 40 percent more likely to interview a job applicant with an English-sounding name despite identical education, skills and experience.
• In 2011, the unemployment rate for visible minority workers was 9.9 percent compared to 7.3 percent for non-racialized workers.
•Racialized Canadians also earn an average of 81 cents to the dollar compared to other Canadians.
•55 percent of Canadians are satisfied that we have overcome racial discrimination.

http://www.canadianlabour.ca/national/news/racism-canada-yes-it-s-still-rampant-and-we-need-government-will-commit-working-end-it

Forty-one per cent say ‘too many' minorities immigrating to Canada: survey
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1312140/survey-reveals-canadians-racist-leanings/

I have spent dozens of hours researching and sharing information like this to educate immigrants about racism and discrimination in Canada. If you like my contribution to this forum, please click on GOOD on the left hand side to show your appreciation. Thanks !

Iqbalf

Apr 7, 2015
Toronto / Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-04-2014
AOR Received.
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
26-08-2014
Med's Request
19-03-2015 (1st medical done 25-03-2014, 2nd Medical 20-03-2015)
Med's Done....
29-03-2016 (3rd Medical)
Interview........
Mar 16, 2016
Passport Req..
Apr 19, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
May 5, 2016
LANDED..........
Not yet
I did college & university here in Canada and now working with a reputable company. There were times when I felt bad working / studying in Canada but overall, it has been a very good experience.

Even though, I love my country, I won't be leaving Canada to go back to my home-country and stay there. The reason why we all immigrate to Canada is the expectations / fantasies of great life ahead. But do not forget, in every country you have to work very hard to be at the top.

I have friends (visible minority) including myself who make well-above the Canadian average income and we are grateful for this country to give us the opportunity to excel ourselves in respected fields.

Yes, there are racist people; cops, teachers, bosses but why take the negatives ? Why can't we be happy with what this country has given us. If you cannot make enough to support your family, it is YOUR shortcoming that you do not have what it takes. Please do not generalize it.
Yes, we do not get our degrees / experience from back home certified or recognized here but why cannot we study and get them recognized ?

If someone is not getting what they expected, please tell me why cannot we go back to our home country and live our lives without any problem ?

Anyways, there are racist people everywhere. You cannot blame the country for its people !!!
Be safe and happy :)

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Aquib said:
Brother,
Be positive.
Work hard and live happily
That's what our political and religious leaders tell us don't they, to keep us in a state of false consciousness.

Theo123

Star Member
Jan 17, 2015
Iqbalf said:
I did college & university here in Canada and now working with a reputable company. There were times when I felt bad working / studying in Canada but overall, it has been a very good experience.

Even though, I love my country, I won't be leaving Canada to go back to my home-country and stay there. The reason why we all immigrate to Canada is the expectations / fantasies of great life ahead. But do not forget, in every country you have to work very hard to be at the top.

I have friends (visible minority) including myself who make well-above the Canadian average income and we are grateful for this country to give us the opportunity to excel ourselves in respected fields.

Yes, there are racist people; cops, teachers, bosses but why take the negatives ? Why can't we be happy with what this country has given us. If you cannot make enough to support your family, it is YOUR shortcoming that you do not have what it takes. Please do not generalize it.
Yes, we do not get our degrees / experience from back home certified or recognized here but why cannot we study and get them recognized ?

If someone is not getting what they expected, please tell me why cannot we go back to our home country and live our lives without any problem ?

Anyways, there are racist people everywhere. You cannot blame the country for its people !!!
i mostly agreed to everything that you said except this: "Yes, we do not get our degrees / experience from back home certified or recognized here but why cannot we study and get them recognized ?"

i think it is oppressive for a qualified personnel with a diploma from a school recognized as one of the top 100, or even 500 universities in the world and be forced into taking the same course all over again in a canadian state colleges. WES has assessed immigrant's education to the equivalent of that in canadian education. i think that would be enough.

secondly, i agree with the naysayer that said choosing a prospective applicant based on the canadian experience rather than credentials is blatantly discriminating. something that i find surprising happening in a non-third world country.

stilldreaming

Dec 7, 2014
Iqbalf said:

Maybe different people have tolerance levels? It could be that some people are more sensitive or less 'thick-skinned' than others and feel hurt if they are discriminated. I am originally from India, and we were always told this story about Mahatma Gandhi that he felt insulted when he was thrown out of a rail compartment even though he had a valid ticket, but I am sure that it must have been happening very frequently (insults to coloured people I mean). But one man's hurt self-respect has now set entire nations free and 'legally nobody can be racist. There must have been people who were very happy even under colonial rule, no? So if everyone had the same tolerance for insults where would we be?

It is human nature to travel the world for better opportunities but it does not mean that one should not have self-respect. The issues being raised by the OP are real and do happen to some people. Just because it has not happened to you does not mean that you should belittle his story.

And also, not all of life's problems are solved by ' be chill, be happy, etc. numb-nut solutions, sometimes there are deeper issues being discussed, and there are people who like to analyse issues and problems, rather than living in a make-believe world where everything is as nice as in the movie 'Stepford Wives' or something.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
I am sad to hear that folks have had bad experiences..I moved to Canada from India last year. I can list down my experiences
1. Racism ? Personally I have not faced any harassment or differential treatment at work/travel/interactions/street/shops. Infact I got two job offers where the managers were of different ethnicity. So I think most companies hire based on your skills and not ethnicity.
2. Job opportunities : Yes it is difficult to find a job at the same level/career path the moment you land. However I think if you give it time (patience) upgrade your skills you can definitely find a job that you are looking for.

I do not think blaming the Canadian society (after all we immigrants are part of it) is going to help. When I was in India as a college graduate it was difficult to find a job since everyone asked for experience. When I grew up the ladder and it was my turn to hire, I always gave a chance to fresh graduates and interviewed (and hired) them !

I have decided that if I get a chance to hire folks here, I wouldn't let his ethnicity or lack of Canadian experience is going to lessen his chance in bagging the job as long as his skills are matching and he performs well in the interview.

We took this decision to apply for the visa and move, the government provided the visa but is not obliged to find you a job and settle you in. Its our responsibility to find a job, upgrade skills etc.
yes we will find road blocks (like requirements for Canadian experience certifications etc), but we were ready for the challenge when we decided to move right?

To folks who are planning to move, please do not feel disheartened when you read these experiences. It is not a bed of roses, it is life, you have to start from scratch, jump huddles, and you may or may not make it. But you wouldn't know unless you try it right?

Many who made it, are so busy with their lives that they do not post their good experiences here. We rant when we have bad experiences (no offense to anyone) if you check product reviews you will know what I mean.