+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visible minorities, pay heed - The grass is not green in Canada

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
To add on my rant. I'm assuming your minority's from the looks of your name friend. So be advised, the majority race here will never let the person of color out success him or her. They are still living in the 19th century where england have a rule on the planet. They haven't peek through our time yet where the vietnam people whose thrown bamboo over the marines and won the war, China out manouvered the West and are now a contending power, Middle East generating wealth theough its oil and diversifying its respective economies, and all other countries comprised of people of color breaking their shackles and have overpassed everyone in success.
Hence, people here don't recognize your education done outside. But believe everything here are better than the rest of the planet. Thus they are still in the good old victorian age. Oh goodie!

Have fun!

I just dont want to toot your horns and remove all the surprises you'll encounter and I really don't want to take your excitement out.
But I wish you all the best and please don't follow what every "unsuccessful person" (your word) did in here.
Stay positive and G d bless!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Edgar Poe said:
The husband should be the one doing the work and not his wife.
Are you biased against women? It doesn't matter who would be doing the job.

Besides, look at the family class sponsorship in the forum. There are numerous cases where overseas Canadian citizens and permanent residents would like to return to Canada and bring their families to this country!

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
steaky said:

Besides, look at the family class sponsorship in the forum. There are numerous cases where overseas Canadian citizens and permanent residents would like to return to Canada and bring their families to this country!

Hoopdy doo!

Now you've brought me out of context.
Cheer!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I think he meant that he should be the provider, and it has nothing to do with whether his wife works or not. In some cultures, it is very emasculating when a man is unable to do this for whatever reason.

steaky said:

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
@Edgar Poe

I don't believe the premise of the skilled worker program is to find professional "who can afford". The gov't asks you to land with $10,000 minimum (or more depending on family size) so that you can provide for yourself and family the first few months while you settle in and look for work. It is a safeguard against the already stretched social welfare resources.

The gov't has never guaranteed anyone a job. If you are saying that they shouldn't accept so many immigrants without looking at labor market needs, that I understand and the good news is, they are now working on that through "Express Entry". But there will still be some skilled workers who don't qualify under that new program and will be upset or will qualify and have a hard time finding a job.

It's true foreign degrees and work experience is not recognized in some cases but you got your first job despite that. So I think you will get another one. If you give up mentally, chances are that energy will come across in your demeanor during interviews.

You said they asked for insider referrals. Can you ask your former boss, colleagues, etc for a referral? Did you network when you were working? I find it hard to believe that working in oil and gas for a time you wouldn't have gotten to know your colleagues and others in the same field with different employers, etc.

What about attending professional workshops, conferences, joining coworkers for social outings on occasion, taking part in team-building activities organized by the employer? These are avenues to get to know people or colleagues a little better. Sometimes it's through such interactions that you will hear of job leads.

As you are currently laid off, it's important to not leave a gap in your resume. Consider taking a course or volunteer opportunities in your field or related fields. It could be 3 hrs a week with the professional licensing body for example, which enables you to meet more people some which could lead to a job/referral. Plus you will be able to put this volunteer work on your resume which shows prospective employers that you do take initiative and are resourceful.

While I had my own struggles with finding work(albeit different since I studied in here), I do my best to share helpful tips I learned along the way. Best wishes in your endeavours.

Apr 7, 2015
Edgar Poe said:
Oh by golly, I wish you all the best right away finding decent work here in canada the moment you arrive. Landing with family.

I'm assuming your filthy rich that you can afford to pay a house in full, cash, when you land and set up your own business pretty quick. Or you have a sick number of network that they'll have you aboard their place of work hastily. Paying 40,000 to 60,000 dollars a year salary.
Goodluck from a nay sayer friend.

I was this optimistic like you before ive landed. Dropped my 100,000 buck a year appointment in middle east and am now working in oil and gas. But wait, I was laid off because its spring breakup and hardly able to find a decent job in my field. All companies I've applied to seeking refferal from insiders.
But my wife is lucky though. She got into a kickass oil producer in berta after her mat leave from her previous oil and gas job.
The husband should be the one doing the work and not his wife.
You know what did this country have reduced me into?
Ruined my career!
Invited me in on the guise of my education, expereince and money. But the only thing it can provide is ei and those lousy survival jobs.
Just making you aware, a lot of us oil and gas employees are on ei due to this economic downturn.
If ever the government just apply what it intended with its FSW program. No one would be poorer and government will be getting that blinding tax dollars from you and me working in our respective professions.
But of course, this country have a small exonomy consisted of 30 million people. Feds bringing in immigrants in the hopes of enlarging the economy. Its like shooting your .45 in the dark hoping you'll hit something.
Yeah, youll hit something, poverty and discontent from professionals driving taxis and cleaning offices. That in the end theyll loose because this same individuals will leave the moment they get their citizenship for abroad like the US nor other parts of the world. Then they'll loose more tax dollars. So bring in more professional immigrants that will wash dishes and cook food at tims or mcdonalds. Its a freaking cycle my friend, and your now part of the revolving door.
Not doubting you at all, but why the heck did you move to Canada in the first place. It seemed like you had a good job and good life in the Middle East. As for me, Canada is a decent backup option that I hope I won't have to use.

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
TheNightmanCometh said:
Not doubting you at all, but why the heck did you move to Canada in the first place. It seemed like you had a good job and good life in the Middle East. As for me, Canada is a decent backup option that I hope I won't have to use.
Canuck wife and newborn here friend.

@ senoritabella. Thank you for your advise. oil and gas are laying off everyone and have freezed hiring. So no jobs!
Going back to school to get that damn license. I'm freaking gonna move back and work in the Middle East if I don't get a job in my field after I've lined up in this country's whim.

Just to add, 10k per individual. Amounting to lets say 200,000 immigrants a year. Do the math how much wealth have been brought here. Thats 2 billion bucks friend!

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
Edgar Poe said:
To add on my rant. I'm assuming your minority's from the looks of your name friend. So be advised, the majority race here will never let the person of color out success him or her. They are still living in the 19th century where england have a rule on the planet. They haven't peek through our time yet where the vietnam people whose thrown bamboo over the marines and won the war, China out manouvered the West and are now a contending power, Middle East generating wealth theough its oil and diversifying its respective economies, and all other countries comprised of people of color breaking their shackles and have overpassed everyone in success.
Hence, people here don't recognize your education done outside. But believe everything here are better than the rest of the planet. Thus they are still in the good old victorian age. Oh goodie!

Have fun!

I just dont want to toot your horns and remove all the surprises you'll encounter and I really don't want to take your excitement out.
But I wish you all the best and please don't follow what every "unsuccessful person" (your word) did in here.
Stay positive and G d bless!
So? I plan to study, get a Masters degree, and use that degree to apply for jobs. If they want Canadian education on my resume, I'll give it to them. I always wanted to do an advanced degree anyway, just didn't get the opportunity for various reasons.
I own two flourishing businesses here, which will be run by my partner. I give myself 3 years in total to make it in Canada. If not, well yeah, I'll take my citizenship and see where else I can go, maybe even return to my home country.
The key is to plan, expect that there will be circumstances where the plan will have to be either changed or detoured, and plan a few contingencies. I would expect highly skilled person immigrating to Canada with advanced degrees and experience would have done the research and considered their options before jumping into the water with both feet. I am planning my move knowing that things are tough in Canada, yet expecting that I will surmount those difficulties. But I also foresee the contingency that it may not work out quite like I planned, so I am keeping open the option of returning to my home country, and picking up where I left off.

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
Edgar Poe said:
Just to add, 10k per individual. Amounting to lets say 200,000 immigrants a year. Do the math how much wealth have been brought here. Thats 2 billion bucks friend!
I don't think they want immigrants for their money. Immigrants without jobs are a drag to the economy. $2 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to the $280 billion federal budget. And that's not including provincial budgets. Canadian healthcare alone costs almost $6,000 per person. Any monetary inflow an immigrant provides is going to be offset by the expenses incurred to maintain them if they don't have a good paying job.

ADUFE

Jun 28, 2009
Very well said, I couldn't agree more! You're one of the most clued up people around here..

next2015 said:
I believe that is correct.

In fact, Canada is in the process of making its own version of the law. They call it Bill C-51. You will be amazed by the similarities it has with USA's Patriot Act.

Most people don't realize it, but these laws are in the process of being made/passed across the west. In my opinion, democracy is one of the world's greatest magic trick if not the greatest. I've read posts here talking about "third world" countries; their corruption and lack of "democracy", I found them a bit funny. I think those countries are no different from the west, unless one talks economics, which is down to decisions that were made centuries ago before the decay in the systems reached "visible" levels. Systems are corrupt and undemocratic everywhere, it's only that some systems have succeeded at convincing us; they are democratic, and the news media has been key to this success. If you pump someone/people with the same message continuously, they start to believe it - such is the power of the mind.

A few quick reads for you on the laws
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/bill-c-51-for-dummies-233750439.html
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/your-civil-rights-and-the-law-looking-at-the-patri.html
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/u/usa_patriot_act/index.html

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Wow....when I started this thread, I never thought it will have 3760+ views and 129 comments ! That's awesome. I can now call myself the father of "Canadian immigrant awakening". I am unmarried/single without any kids, so I need to be a father of something atleast ;D
As a belated May Day call, may I also take this opportunity to say, "Immigrants of Canada - UNITE" !

Irrespective of whichever ethnicity you belong to, I hope you will all agree that this thread has fostered an excellent pan-Canadian and even an international debate about the issues of racial equity, employment opportunities, prevailing challenges in the Canadian labour market etc. All of you have done an excellent job, in participating in this lively debate. Your valuable opinions continue to shape our collective narrative, ideology, values and thoughts on what it means to be an immigrant in Canada. Keep up the good work, and keep those thoughts coming !

PS: If you like my work, please rate me GOOD on the left hand side. Thank you.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Flute said:
If you are a visible minority (ie non-white) and planning to immigrate to Canada, think twice. If you are currently in another country and you are well educated, speak good English, have a stable job that pays a decent salary or a business that is doing well, have a family there that loves you, and the political situation in your country is stable (ie no civil war that endangers your life) - then I can assure you that the grass in Canada is certainly not greener than that in your country. So think twice before immigrating to Canada.

Read about my experience and benefit from the research I have done:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/discrimination-against-visible-minorities-in-canada-t275537.15.html

Follow the discussion on this thread, which I initiated, based on my personal experience as an immigrant in Canada since last 5 years:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/discrimination-against-visible-minorities-in-canada-t275537.15.html

Read this article titled, "Canada faces dramatic drop in citizenship, prompting concerns about disengaged immigrants"
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2015/03/24/canada-faces-dramatic-drop-in-citizenship-prompting-concerns-about-disengaged-immigrants.html

And if you are thinking, that I am some run-of-the-mill immigrant, let me assure you that I am not. I earned 3 degrees from universities in Asia and am close to finishing my 4th degree from a law school in Canada. I also earned 2 dozen certifications in various technical/professional areas. I have over 15 years of work experience as a manager in RBC, BMO and a multi-billion dollar Asian corporation. I am also very hard-working, and barely avail any vacations. Despite this, I lost my job thrice in Canada. While in Canada, I have devoted my time and money to charitable causes, paid taxes, adhered to all laws and done everything to be a model immigrant. And yet, I face discrimination and have a hard time. Life in Canada is not as rosy as it looks from other countries. Yes, I agree that getting Permanent Resident status is relatively easier in Canada than in other countries. But the real struggle begins once you land in Canada. Visible minority immigrants have a hard time integrating into the local economy here. They find it hard to find and keep their jobs. I am really regretting my decision. And I am only trying to help you by saving you a great deal of trouble. Please stay away from Canada, this is the best advice you will ever get.
Most of the non white people know all this but still they are willing / desperate to immigrate to Canada.

Once I asked a well settled non white person working in his home country why he want to immigrate to Canada after knowing all the negative things which may happen to him after immigrating. He told me that if only negativities were to await the prospective immigrants, no one would have immigrated to Canada and that there are many positivities also of immigrating to Canada. I couldn't agree more on this with him.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flute said:
Wow....when I started this thread, I never thought it will have 3760+ views and 129 comments ! That's awesome. I can now call myself the father of "Canadian immigrant awakening". I am unmarried/single without any kids, so I need to be a father of something atleast ;D
Then believe in GOD! You can start preaching as a father without any kids LOL!

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Read this article on how a black police officer was harassed and discriminated against, in a white dominated US town:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/05/10/an-american-police-racism-scandal-unlike-any-other.html

Read this article as well about institutional bias, prejudice and racism against minorities in North America:

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/7/8562077/police-racism-implicit-bias

I have said this before and I will say it again. All white people are not racist, prejudiced and biased. This continent is divided between Liberal minded whites and Conservative whites. All conservatives are not racist either. Opposite is often true ie Many racist people tend to be very conservative minded. So this is a larger issue that continues to be interwoven into the dynamic in North America. These are under currents, that tend to rear its head from time to time. I am sick, frustrated and tired of hearing this repeatedly in the media and even experiencing racism in some form or the other.

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
And to my surprise, one have to pay taxes even after the death as well.......................... :eek: :eek:

http://www.rbcds.com/taxes-at-death.html