+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visible minorities, pay heed - The grass is not green in Canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Edgar Poe said:
But its canadas business, to bring in rich people from their hometowns only to land a job that's ill suited for a doctor to be.
But how rich are these people in the first place? If they are really rich, they could afford to own tens or hundreds of multi-million dollar homes in Canada and they don't really have to ever work in Canada in order to make a living. They can just enjoy their lives world-wide.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Ramelak said:
All,

quite an interesting exchange of views in general. I am of the opinion that the immigration system is totally flawed - a meaningless and out of context "points system" that qualifies a person as a top engineer in their country but only meets the requirements to drive a cab in Canada - added to the mere handful of jobs available in Canada and above all, the general reluctance to welcome immigrants into the mainstream. I believe all this is true and yes, unless you are at the bottom of the heap where anything else would be a better life, or you have way too much money and have taken a whim to Canada, the country can be very daunting for a professional with limited resources trying to get a foothold in the corporate world. There may be a few success stories, but almost every immigrant has a nightmarish time in the first few years. I see some readers here are loathe to read this view and I might be condemned as being too negative. But facts are facts. I believe it's better to come with no expectations so anything will be a bonus, while quite the opposite happens with most newcomers, thanks to all the official hogwash floating around that Canada is the most liveable country in the world, etc. Sorry fellas, that's my view. I migrated to Canada in 1999 from S. Africa and lived in Toronto for a year. Everyone looks so miserable and worn, dampening your already damp spirits. in 2000 I decided that I'd had enough and returned to SA, and never looked back since. My only regret is having had to part with the thousands of dollars with nothing to show for it. I will never go there again, and my advice to those thinking of migrating - ask yourself if you have a good job and decent money where you are. If so, and if your country is not a war zone or terror ridden, please stay back!
Ramalek hails from a different continent than myself. Yet, he and I have had the same kind of experience 11 years apart. I immigrated to Canada in 2010 and have been living here since last 5 years. Ramalek immigrated in 1999 and lived in Canada for an year. Both of us had the same experience. What does that tell you? That this country's attitude towards immigrants of colour does not change over time. Rather, it remains the same. Prejudice towards minorities is deeply ingrained in the DNA of this country. I agree 100% with Ramalek that Canada is meant for 2 kinds of people - either the very rich, who don't have to worry about money (like multi-billionaire Li Ka Shing from Hong Kong who has Canadian citizenship, but lives in Hong Kong) or the very poor, who are at the rock bottom in their country, doing manual jobs, and for whom, doing the same manual job in Canada can fetch a better return. If you belong to the professional class from continents like Asia, Africa etc and you are non-white, then you are going to have a rough ride here in Canada. If you get a chance, go to US, its better out there. If you don't get that chance, then better stay put in your own country. And for those who have already come here, I suggest that you keep patience, until you get your citizenship, then, move back home or move to some other country. Unless, you have found a good job and you are happy in Canada, in which case, you should continue to stay here, by all means. Canada is not meant for every minority. The environment here is such that it vastly increases the probability of failure. There are exceptions to this trend, but its true that the vast majority of the minorities are unable to achieve their true potential.

If you are entrepreneurial, then I suggest that you start your own small business, and if it succeeds, then stay on. But this can be a risky move, and you could end up losing money too. With small business, the thing is, you will likely have control over most of the situations, unlike in a job, where your career is always in the hands of a white Canadian and you will be at his/her mercy for your survival/growth.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flute said:
What does that tell you?
No, it does not tell you anything because the sampling is too small. Besides, Husky doesn't give free gas.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Just because people come from poorer countries does not mean they don't aspire for more. Many rich immigrants today came to Canada without a cent decades ago and worked their way up.
There are many professional immigrants. It is not easy but not impossible. Giving up can't be an option. You hear many sad stories but few details on what efforts were made to find jobs in their field.
1. Did they just keep sending out 100's of resumes?
2. Did they find volunteer opportunities in their field?
3. Did they join professional associations in their field?
4. Did they network?
5. Did they go back to school to upgrade their skills?
6. Did they play up their strengths/assets well enough? e.g. 2nd language proficiency, etc?

Considering there is "hidden job market", networking is one of the secrets to finding a good job. These are job opportunities that are not openly advertised, so only those who know about them get a crack at it. You would only know if you know people and/or people refer you. But you need to have a network of contacts for this to be possible.

Here: https://www.jobsetc.gc.ca/pieces.jsp?category_id=298

Edgar Poe said:
Well Sir I am happy for you.
Only thing is that this place isn't customed to have professional immigrants. But its canadas business, to bring in rich people from their hometowns only to land a job that's ill suited for a doctor to be. Did you know that i knew a person whose a PHD in his country and are now driving a school bus here. One engineer i spoke with is working at walmart produce section. The biggest heartbreak i knew was this guy who was an engineer and a army division commander in his country during the gulf war and now drives that pushcart machine. The most of all is this guy who where a undersecretary of his formers country's governmental department and now works at a grocery store.

Problem with this country is that it gives a false sense on immigration. If the Federal government really needs people abroad to work menial jobs here, they should welcome poor laborers from a third world country to fill in janitorial positions and what not.

But since it's a strategic goal to infuse this economy with fresh wealth. Its a business.

Only thing Ramelak should have done is waited until he received his canadian passport and skidadled off this banana right quick. Price you paid for your hard earned dollars.

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
steaky said:
But how rich are these people in the first place? If they are really rich, they could afford to own tens or hundreds of multi-million dollar homes in Canada and they don't really have to ever work in Canada in order to make a living. They can just enjoy their lives world-wide.
I just hoped you understood my meaning there.

And senoritabella

Immigration is about FSW. Meaning these are professionals who can afford. It is the number one requirement to get your toehold in Canada. If so, when you arrived. After all those scrutiny on your profession, years of experience. You get squat getting a job in your field. Nobody here honors your credentials as if everything here is better than the rest of the planet. Now you get to be a janitor, and thank goodness someone gave you a job because the money you brought in here is running low. Even if theres a position available on your profession, there isnt enough because the econmy is too small. And all the large portion of jobs out there are blue collar. Lucky you i you get the one that pays 25-30 bucks an hour.
So, if that is the situation, why not just bring in forklift operators, carpenters and many sorts of laborers in the Third World who have penny for savings. remove the immigration requirement of several thousand bucks savings because I'm very sure the minute they land, they'll be working in their fields.

I did not mean any disrespect to any countries out there if you feel I'm implying that.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else" - John Burroughs.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rahul20978 said:
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else" - John Burroughs.
Clearly John Burroughs never immigrated to Canada otherwise he wouldnt come up with such a saying. Secondly John is a white man ( looks like Santa). His experience as a white man in early 1800s walking around half naked in a nature conservation out of choice, is very different from the challenges experienced by an immigrant as a visible minority in the 21st century. This is not a fair comparison. Come up with a new saying or even better make one up instead of copying someone else

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
newtone said:
Clearly John Burroughs never immigrated to Canada otherwise he wouldnt come up with such a saying. Secondly John is a white man ( looks like Santa). His experience as a white man in early 1800s walking around half naked in a nature conservation out of choice, is very different from the challenges experienced by an immigrant as a visible minority in the 21st century. This is not a fair comparison. Come up with a new saying or even better make one up instead of copying someone else
I never "copied" him, just quoted him, because I thought it applied to a few people who just refuse to accept that they might not be doing all they possibly could. Just because it was said probably 150 years ago, doesn't mean it isn't relevant today. BTW, he was walking around the mid-1800s, and lived to see the turn of the century. I can make up many sayings, but I might get banned from the forum. :p

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You "copied" his quote and pasted on the forum. No point in getting into semantics, you know what I mean. Anyway you clearly haven't landed in Canada yet, come here and then talk. And big deal, its the 21st century and we are walking around witnessing the biggest technological revolution since the evolution of humanity. Whats your point?

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
newtone said:
You "copied" his quote and pasted on the forum. No point in getting into semantics, you know what I mean. Anyway you clearly haven't landed in Canada yet, come here and then talk. And big deal, its the 21st century and we are walking around witnessing the biggest technological revolution since the evolution of humanity. Whats your point?
Yes, well I couldn't just paste the link to the quote here. So I typed it in, in quotes, and attributed the quote to him. No, I haven't landed there, so I'll talk about that after I do.
As to it being the 21st century and the biggest technological revolution since the beginning of human evolution, human nature hasn't changed since our evolution from the apes. What was cutting-edge in the 1800s is laughably obsolete today. What is cutting-edge today will probably be laughably obsolete in 30 years. So, what's YOUR point?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rahul20978 said:
Yes, well I couldn't just paste the link to the quote here. So I typed it in, in quotes, and attributed the quote to him. No, I haven't landed there, so I'll talk about that after I do.
As to it being the 21st century and the biggest technological revolution since the beginning of human evolution, human nature hasn't changed since our evolution from the apes. What was cutting-edge in the 1800s is laughably obsolete today. What is cutting-edge today will probably be laughably obsolete in 30 years. So, what's YOUR point?
John is not a superstar.Contrary to what you believe in, my point is humans nature is constantly changing, if it never changed then we would never evolve from apes.Times are changing, everyday is a new day, sure John was a naturalist and rightfully so he blamed himself on his deathbed cause thats the only thing you can think of at that time in that place. Its completely situational. And thats my point. As far as cutting edge is concerned, things chance just like humans, time, society, plants, animals, places, spaces and the list goes on.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
newtone said:
Contrary to what you believe in, my point is humans nature is constantly changing, if it never changed then we would never evolve from apes. Try and see if you could get a monkey to do a medical operation on you. Times are changing, everyday is a new day, sure John was a naturalist and rightfully so he blamed himself on his deathbed cause thats the only thing you can think of at that time in that place. Its completely situational. And thats my point. As far as cutting edge is concerned, things chance just like humans, time, society, plants, animals, places, spaces and the list goes on.
You are confusing knowledge and ability with nature. If you taught a monkey enough number of times what it has to do, I'm sure it can perform a medical operation, without ever understanding why it is doing it. That differentiates our intellect from the primates, not our nature. It's a question of EQ as opposed to IQ.
With all the technological revolution happening, some still use it to figure out ways to destroy people, while some figure out ways to benefit mankind. A vast majority of us still sit the fence leaning now this way, now that, without really committing ourselves to one school of thought or the other (I don't exclude myself from this third group). THAT is human nature, while the technology being invented is just progression of human knowledge. We had, and continue to have wars, fought and killed each other, tribe against tribe earlier, nation against nation now. This has been going on since the dawn of civilization, and it's going on today. Only the weapons have changed now. Human nature hasn't really.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thats because by nature humans like to have a difference of opinion. Put two brains in a room and it is guaranteed to destroy each other. Anyway now we are going completely left field. For the sake of getting back to the topic, when are you landing in Canada? and if so please don't disappear keep up posted on your whereabouts and the job scenario.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
newtone said:
Thats because by nature humans like to have a difference of opinion. Put two brains in a room and it is guaranteed to destroy each other. Anyway now we are going completely left field. For the sake of getting back to the topic, when are you landing in Canada? and if so please don't disappear keep up posted on your whereabouts and the job scenario.
Oh, I fully intend to. Like I had said earlier somewhere in this forum, I'll either be here to say 'Hah' to all the nay-sayers, or to hang my head and say 'you were right'. I'm not afraid to admit it when I'm wrong. As to when I'm landing, it'll probably be next May (my wife and I will be having our kid this june, and I don't want to land in the winter). But anyway, will definitely keep you posted. If I happen to be in the same city as you, maybe we can have a beer and destroy each other. ;)

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
rahul20978 said:
Oh, I fully intend to. Like I had said earlier somewhere in this forum, I'll either be here to say 'Hah' to all the nay-sayers, or to hang my head and say 'you were right'. I'm not afraid to admit it when I'm wrong. As to when I'm landing, it'll probably be next May (my wife and I will be having our kid this june, and I don't want to land in the winter). But anyway, will definitely keep you posted. If I happen to be in the same city as you, maybe we can have a beer and destroy each other. ;)

Oh by golly, I wish you all the best right away finding decent work here in canada the moment you arrive. Landing with family.

I'm assuming your filthy rich that you can afford to pay a house in full, cash, when you land and set up your own business pretty quick. Or you have a sick number of network that they'll have you aboard their place of work hastily. Paying 40,000 to 60,000 dollars a year salary.
Goodluck from a nay sayer friend.

I was this optimistic like you before ive landed. Dropped my 100,000 buck a year appointment in middle east and am now working in oil and gas. But wait, I was laid off because its spring breakup and hardly able to find a decent job in my field. All companies I've applied to seeking refferal from insiders.
But my wife is lucky though. She got into a kickass oil producer in berta after her mat leave from her previous oil and gas job.
The husband should be the one doing the work and not his wife.
You know what did this country have reduced me into?
Ruined my career!
Invited me in on the guise of my education, expereince and money. But the only thing it can provide is ei and those lousy survival jobs.
Just making you aware, a lot of us oil and gas employees are on ei due to this economic downturn.
If ever the government just apply what it intended with its FSW program. No one would be poorer and government will be getting that blinding tax dollars from you and me working in our respective professions.
But of course, this country have a small exonomy consisted of 30 million people. Feds bringing in immigrants in the hopes of enlarging the economy. Its like shooting your .45 in the dark hoping you'll hit something.
Yeah, youll hit something, poverty and discontent from professionals driving taxis and cleaning offices. That in the end theyll loose because this same individuals will leave the moment they get their citizenship for abroad like the US nor other parts of the world. Then they'll loose more tax dollars. So bring in more professional immigrants that will wash dishes and cook food at tims or mcdonalds. Its a freaking cycle my friend, and your now part of the revolving door.