+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visible minorities, pay heed - The grass is not green in Canada

Mar 26, 2015
Very informative....I like all the comparisons....I will be doing my medicals this week for Canada FSW process...
Now this has made me think...think....think.... :eek: :eek:

I trust in God to take care of me...

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Hope all of you liked my posts and the important service I have rendered to this community through various posts. I need to be rewarded for all the work I have done, the time I have spent doing research and communicating various issues. So please click on GOOD on left hand side to improve my overall rating.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flute said:
Hope all of you liked my posts and the important service I have rendered to this community through various posts. I need to be rewarded for all the work I have done, the time I have spent doing research and communicating various issues. So please click on GOOD on left hand side to improve my overall rating.
No, you should have spend more time to research and communication before writing the post about your experience in the GAP store which has nothing to do with discrimination or you being a visible minority.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stick around long enough and you will be rewarded with a Canadian citizenship, with the current wait times hopefully before you reach the age of retirement.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
steaky said:
No, you should have spend more time to research and communication before writing the post about your experience in the GAP store which has nothing to do with discrimination or you being a visible minority.
How is the GAP store incident not discrimination? I had 3 white people singling me out, to ask for directions to where certain types of clothes were. There were so many white people standing near me. White shoppers did not go to other white shoppers to ask for directions about where the clothes were. They came upto me, a visible minority. What does that say about how some white people think? Its stereotyping of visible minorities as store clerks and assistants, who are meant to serve the majority. Plain and simple.

Despite the overwhelming evidence that I have presented in the form of news articles, statistics and anecdotal evidence; if you have a problem acknowledging the fact that racism, stereotyping and discrimination exists across Canada; then that's a problem within you. People like you refuse to acknowledge the stark reality, and delude themselves into thinking that all is well in Canada. Such delusional thinking is responsible for continuation of the status quo. Acknowledging the reality makes you feel guilty, so you choose to ignore it. Very convenient.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
david1697 said:
Yes, it is. Look and see what percentage of population can afford to buy those. There are mansions even in war torn Afghanistan (Google the pictures of the house of Uzbek General Dostum for instance). That doesn't mean Afghanistan has flourishing economy.

Where I live now (Washington, DC area) prices are also very high, I would say extremely inflated, and when I did research for my Real Estate Legal Class I was astounded to find out that many of these properties were (the ones that were around long enough) selling for 20% or less of their current value as recently as in 1990's. All the while the wages for mainstream jobs have stagnated (some even have fallen).
But if you come to DC you will see that market here is, as they say, "HOT!HOT!HOT!" and properties go in a snap of a finger.
Yes, we do have lots of people coming here and buying a property, but being able to lash out $500K-$1mil or more in DC area is in no way an indication of how great the economy here is. It is in deep recession, and you can see it when you apply for jobs, as well as when you ride the train and look at the faces of people. The regular people (who do 9-5 jobs and get paid the average of $40K +/- $4K) don't look happy at all, they look like they are riding from funeral (especially the evening ride back home)
And if you are out to find one of the jobs they are doing, you are up against couple of hundred desperate job seekers who want to do the same.
This is not a well doing economy.

It used to take a day to find a "dumb white collar" job that gets hundreds of Masters and PhD holders competing for today, and in those days that job was paying you enough to buy a family house of your own and settle in cosy, safe, or even upscale neighborhood ,with GREAT public schools, in suburban DC area. Those days are no more.
Contrary to your beliefs there are many Canadians owning homes in Toronto. Obviously for people to own homes they need to pay mortgage and they need to work in order to afford that kind of mortgage. So I dont entirely buy your story about recession in Canada. Yes there are businesses closing down but most of the job losses are menial, customer service, administrative assistant, part time, temporary ones. Like Mexx, Sony, Target etc. How do you explain these mortgages and prices of real estate rising year after. Obviously there are more people making money in order to afford housing to the point of getting into price wars, so is basic supply and demand. The demand for real estate in major Canadian cities far exceeds supply. Immigrants are coming here like the world is going to end tomorrow and Canada is a safe heaven for them. Nobody is going to Afghanistan as an immigrant so who cares about mansions or mountains.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
Contrary to your beliefs there are many Canadians owning homes in Toronto. Obviously for people to own homes they need to pay mortgage and they need to work in order to afford that kind of mortgage. So I dont entirely buy your story about recession in Canada. Yes there are businesses closing down but most of the job losses are menial, customer service, administrative assistant, part time, temporary ones. Like Mexx, Sony, Target etc. How do you explain these mortgages and prices of real estate rising year after. Obviously there are more people making money in order to afford housing to the point of getting into price wars, so is basic supply and demand. The demand for real estate in major Canadian cities far exceeds supply. Immigrants are coming here like the world is going to end tomorrow and Canada is a safe heaven for them. Nobody is going to Afghanistan as an immigrant so who cares about mansions or mountains.
The easiest way is to look at statistics. the last time I checked US median household income was around $50000 per year.
We have 330 million people. How many can afford a house for $5mil dollars?

We used to have all these expensive and fancy houses, as well as buyers for them, and no one cared about it , in fact
people were glad that there were rich people and everyone hoped to get rich some day too.

But we also had whole lot of suburban town-homes and houses built and sold in $100K-$200K when median household income was
around $38000, right where I live now. Most average house prices here are in mid to upper ranges under a million.

Today $150K can buy you a nice house in Florida , but good luck ever finding a job to pay it off (massive foreclosures there, as well as in many other places).

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flute said:
In US, many people who complain that they don't find jobs even during times like these, when the economy is doing well, only have themselves to blame. As per my observation, such people are not geographically mobile ie they are unwilling to relocate. Also, even if they are willing to relocate, they put onerous conditions such as asking a prospective employer to pay their relocation costs, which makes them uncompetitive vis-à-vis local candidates. If people were more amenable to moving around across US, the unemployment rate would go down drastically, and overall productivity would considerably improve. Also, the nature of the US labour market and Canadian labour market are very different.

Canadian labour market is segmented based on province. For instance; Ontario is the hub for the financial services industry. British Columbia is the hub for film making, forestry and resources. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are known for agri-business. Alberta is a centre for the Oil & Gas industry, and so on. Now, one could argue that the US too has such segmentation. For instance; financial services/banking/capital markets is concentrated in NYC. Insurance in Hartford. Hedge funds in Greenwich (Connecticut). Entertainment industry in LA. Advertising industry/fashion/publishing in NYC. Hi-tech/IT in the Bay area (California), Meat packing industry in the Midwest and so on. However, I have observed that large companies tend to have regional headquarters in various states. Example, Chicago serves as the mid-west regional headquarters for most big US companies. Those regional HQs tend to generate lot of employment. That happens because the size of US companies is so massive, and many of them tend to have global operations, which accounts for their large size. Most Canadian companies tend to be focused on domestic market or at the most, on the north American market. The NAFTA agreement has spoilt all Canadian companies, and made them lazy, because they have a ready market available in the US, so they don't make much of an effort to export to other countries. In addition, I find that even though industry sectors are concentrated in specific states in the US, they are also more fragmented/dissipated than in Canada. That is a direct consequence of the way population is distributed across US. Most US states have larger populations, in comparison to the distribution of population in Canadian provinces. In Canada; Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Calgary account for majority of Canada's population, even though Canada has 13 provinces. Most of those provinces have large areas that are sparsely inhabited. That too has partly contributed to the clustering of industry sectors in specific provinces. Due to better distribution of population in US across all states, demand for goods and services is more evenly distributed across US, in comparison to Canada. Cost of goods and services is also much cheaper than in Canada, since companies benefit from economies of scale. US is a 15 trillion dollar economy with a population of 350 million while Canada is a 1.2 trillion dollar economy with a population of 35 million. During the last 5 years that I have stayed here in Canada, I have seen lot of American companies flee Canada. After trying out the Canadian market for a while, most of them have sold off their operations to Canadian companies. Canadian economy tends to create oligopolies in virtually every industry sector (5 banks, 2 insurance companies, 3 telecom companies, handful of media companies etc). That in turn reduces labour mobility and also has an impact on productivity (due to lack of competition as well as inability of fewer employers to absorb available workforce). Due to all of these reasons, employment opportunities are much better in US than in Canada. In the US, as long as you are willing to relocate, you will always find a job.
Flute , this is probably my last post here.

I got banned here yesterday after being a subject to a barrage of personal attacks by several posters (which I tried to keep cool and ignore their attempts to make it a personal issue as much as possible, but which never ended until I started to protest and was finally banned).

So my understanding is these subjects I raise (not personal, but related to economy and job market) are not allowed to be discussed here (because moderators , instead of banning me would have long time ago banned those who repeatedly came to raise personal issues in response to my discussion of impersonal subjects). Who knows, they may even be part of group who participate in this forum to maintain it under moderators' direction.

I don't care either way, but I know that there is nothing for me to do here if moderators will allow posters bully me for my opinion and have me banned afterwards.

So, take this as my last reply to you:

You have grossly misleading and erroneous view of what the real state of economy here in US is.

I posted for you some links to read (there are actual, real people who posted their personal experiences, just like in this forum). Go ahead, browse and read those for yourself, don't even listen to what I say. And then make your own judgement how "lazy" are all those people are and whether
it's their fault that 500-1000 people apply for each vacancy and they are in sperm race for an egg.

Good luck everyone. I am out of here, can't stay in a place where certain agenda is above intellectual honesty and freedom of expression.

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
newtone said:
One negative mark on Canada is that there doesn't seem to be any medium sized cities that has both jobs and low cost of living (i.e. Houston, Nashville, Austin). The only place with affordable real estate seems to be Quebec, but good luck finding a job there (especially as an Anglophone).

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
newtone said:
Err...what? Did you just suggest that the Canadian housing market is being inflated in within the Canadian domestic economy? Vancouver real estate is flooded with chinese black money, as well as legitimate Chinese investors and millionaires. The bay area in northern California has also seen this trend. There have been cases, specially the asian black money ones, where the buyers have paid even 25% more than the sellers asking price. This artificial inflation is soon reaching Toronto as well. Also, the word you're looking for is 'safe haven', not 'safe heaven'. Heaven is supposed to be safe from its very definition. Go figure.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Flute said:
How is the GAP store incident not discrimination? I had 3 white people singling me out, to ask for directions to where certain types of clothes were. There were so many white people standing near me. White shoppers did not go to other white shoppers to ask for directions about where the clothes were. They came upto me, a visible minority. What does that say about how some white people think? Its stereotyping of visible minorities as store clerks and assistants, who are meant to serve the majority. Plain and simple.
All the other instances you've talked about are relevant. The GAP store incident even I believe is not an instance of racism. A good majority of retail workers are white. So there's no way to justify that. Also this happens to me in my home country as well. So what? Its a funny incident, if you added it to add some humour to your post then its worth a mention, anything other than a laughable anecdote it isn't worth a mention. Have a sense of humour. Enjoy life. Next time this happens, troll the people instead of whining sad about this incident.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazibkg said:
Err...what? Did you just suggest that the Canadian housing market is being inflated in within the Canadian domestic economy? Vancouver real estate is flooded with chinese black money, as well as legitimate Chinese investors and millionaires. The bay area in northern California has also seen this trend. There have been cases, specially the asian black money ones, where the buyers have paid even 25% more than the sellers asking price. This artificial inflation is soon reaching Toronto as well. Also, the word you're looking for is 'safe haven', not 'safe heaven'. Heaven is supposed to be safe from its very definition. Go figure.
Did u just suggest Canadian real estate is owned by Chinese mafia, money launderers and millionaire thieves?? You cant be serious. Why dont we just sell the remaining lands to China and have them take over the country. Make Chinese the official language in Canada and rename the country as Chinada. Thanks for pointing out haven not heaven. Thats what I originally meant to say

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
newtone said:
Did u just suggest Canadian real estate is owned by Chinese mafia, money launderers and millionaire thieves?? You cant be serious. Why dont we just sell the remaining lands to China and have them take over the country. Make Chinese the official language in Canada and rename the country as Chinada. Thanks for pointing out haven not heaven. Thats what I originally meant to say
Is that sarcasm or real outrage, Newtone? The guy is right..We here in Vancouver have that discussion every day!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
Is that sarcasm or real outrage, Newtone? The guy is right..We here in Vancouver have that discussion every day!
Its not sarcasm nor outrage. I have no problems China taking over Canada, they can run the government far better than cowboy Harper, babyface Justin or santa claus Mulcair. China has been creating more millionaires in the past decade than any other country in the world. I have problems with Mafia as my neighbour.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
Unfortunately it is also the sad truth that the Mafia has a more streamlined and efficient way of running their organization than most governments. In my country, in a lot of states, either the politicians join the mafia after forming the government, or else the government if formed by members of the mafia itself, who have also become politicians.