+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visible minorities, pay heed - The grass is not green in Canada

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flute said:
"Mental shortcut" is a very convenient theory to justify that discrimination and racist conduct of some white people, is caused by some psychological aberration, which exists in every human being. It is an attempt to justify the guilt by providing a scientific fig leaf to cover the naked abuse of the system. The reality is, discrimination and racism is illegal and perverted conduct, caused by deliberate and calculated intent, with the objective of causing harm to certain sections of the society such as aboriginals and visible minorities. Equating racist conduct and discrimination with "mental short cut" is akin to a misogynist saying rape is merely "rough sex" in a bid to justify the conduct of fellow misogynists. Its time, we started accepting ground realities and not find excuses to justify despicable behaviour that erodes the social fabric and character of a nation.
As far as "fig leaf" is concerned, you will make a silly person out of you if you insist that I am one of the apologets of racial or any other discrimination.
I am not US born native, I have accent, anyone can tell I am a first generation immigrant, and I don't have blond hair or any of the 'pure American bred' features. Moreover, there were occasions where I was subject of overt discrimination and prejudice (though I have never encountered someone who would openly attack,verbally abuse or denigrate me on account of my appearance, in US or Canada).
All above shall make it clear to you that I am not one of those guys with swastika tattoo on my neck saying what a scumbag anyone without blue eyes and blond hair is.

The fact is anytime someone judges you, profiles you, assesses you in a split second (without you giving them a chance or them attempting to learn more about you to make a rational judgement about your characteristics) you are being subjected to what is termed a "mental shortcut".
it could be due to associations relevant to your appearance, to your sex, to your profession, to any number of things that people look at and judge you by while ignoring other personal characteristics that could show you are someone other than what they "think" you are.

This being said, and we all being victims at one or another time of "mental shortcuts", and with Canada being one of few places where racial or ethnic discrimination is not nearly as bad as in many places I could name in the world, I don't see the constructiveness of your bringing this as a real issue immigrants face in Canada.

Notice, I am not questioning your right to say or write whatever you wish within legal confines and freedom of consciousness, I just state my opinion (using the exact same freedom I have) by questioning productivity and usefulness of bringing on this conversation;provided the REAL issue we all currently face is not discrimination but very poor state of economy where jobs are extremely scarce and supply of labor force is overwhelming.

This is my opinion (you obviously are entitled to yours) and I state as is.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
david1697 said:
As far as "fig leaf" is concerned, you will make a silly person out of you if you insist that I am one of the apologets of racial or any other discrimination.
I am not US born native, I have accent, anyone can tell I am a first generation immigrant, and I don't have blond hair or any of the 'pure American bred' features. Moreover, there were occasions where I was subject of overt discrimination and prejudice (though I have never encountered someone who would openly attack,verbally abuse or denigrate me on account of my appearance, in US or Canada).
All above shall make it clear to you that I am not one of those guys with swastika tattoo on my neck saying what a scumbag anyone without blue eyes and blond hair is.

The fact is anytime someone judges you, profiles you, assesses you in a split second (without you giving them a chance or them attempting to learn more about you to make a rational judgement about your characteristics) you are being subjected to what is termed a "mental shortcut".
it could be due to associations relevant to your appearance, to your sex, to your profession, to any number of things that people look at and judge you by while ignoring other personal characteristics that could show you are someone other than what they "think" you are.

This being said, and we all being victims at one or another time of "mental shortcuts", and with Canada being one of few places where racial or ethnic discrimination is not nearly as bad as in many places I could name in the world, I don't see the constructiveness of your bringing this as a real issue immigrants face in Canada.

Notice, I am not questioning your right to say or write whatever you wish within legal confines and freedom of consciousness, I just state my opinion (using the exact same freedom I have) by questioning productivity and usefulness of bringing on this conversation;provided the REAL issue we all currently face is not discrimination but very poor state of economy where jobs are extremely scarce and supply of labor force is overwhelming.

This is my opinion (you obviously are entitled to yours) and I state as is.
Read this article titled, "Canada’s race problem? It’s even worse than America’s".

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-s-race-problem--it-s-even-worse-than-america-s-184142328.html

Especially, pay attention to the table in the article. You know, I have lived in both US and Canada. Yes, discrimination does exist in US, but its a lot less than what you can find in Canada. Statistics and research bear this out as does my personal experience. Whether one calls it "mental short-cuts", or "discrimination" or "racist behaviour" - they are all the same. What ultimately matters is that real people, with flesh and blood, are getting impacted.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
@ Flute - upward mobility isn't a possibility for anyone in Canada, native, white or immigrant. If you go to read comments on CIC's facebook page, or any CBC/Vancouver Sun/Globe and Mail comment threat, you'll see that white born-Canadians THINK that immigrants get all the good jobs whilst Canadians remain employed. I suggest you visit the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood in Vancouver, and you'll find that an overwhelming majority of the desolate and homeless are Canadians.

Can I just tell you this is just mindgames the brain plays with you, always thinking that the 'other' is somehow more privileged than you yourself are. The truth of the matter is nobody is privileged here, the old money families still rule the corporate world in Canada and own majority of business, so it is an 'old boys club'. Those old boys just HAPPEN to be white, since pre-1973 Canadian immigration entrants were racially segregated. Maybe a hundred or so years down the line, a new, mixed class of old boys will emerge.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazibkg said:
@ Flute - upward mobility isn't a possibility for anyone in Canada, native, white or immigrant. If you go to read comments on CIC's facebook page, or any CBC/Vancouver Sun/Globe and Mail comment threat, you'll see that white born-Canadians THINK that immigrants get all the good jobs whilst Canadians remain employed. I suggest you visit the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood in Vancouver, and you'll find that an overwhelming majority of the desolate and homeless are Canadians.

Can I just tell you this is just mindgames the brain plays with you, always thinking that the 'other' is somehow more privileged than you yourself are. The truth of the matter is nobody is privileged here, the old money families still rule the corporate world in Canada and own majority of business, so it is an 'old boys club'. Those old boys just HAPPEN to be white, since pre-1973 Canadian immigration entrants were racially segregated. Maybe a hundred or so years down the line, a new, mixed class of old boys will emerge.
jazibkg, throw the "visible minority" phrase out of what Flute says, think about "mental shortcuts" (which btw affect everyone at some point) and you will see that it's more than just a Ninja mindgames.

Humans are social animals (it's a biological fact that we are animals, just like primates or any other, even though we please our senses by imagining that we are some higher form of intellectually advanced creatures).

Our "thinking" brain which has evolved only too recently is a little appendage which for the most part is subservient to layers of our older, lizard brains (there is an extensive literature regarding this subject which you can research and read).

The lizard brain is what keeps us on auto-pilot, so we can function and perform as machines, without much or any thinking , based on inputs and instantaneous responses to those inputs (a process similar to reflexes, but not exactly the same as many are preconditioned throughout our past and personal experience).

And the less conscious we are of our lizard brain the more we are subject to be ruled and guided by it.
Openly speaking of "mental shortcuts" and bringing an issue of automated process in our heads up to our consciousness is a way to reduce the amount of that unconscious matter that we dwell in and an ultimate way in search for a light.

The key is to understand what the problem is and where it lies (as I mentioned earlier, it's much deeper than racial issue and affects everyone, in one form or another regardless of ones' race, ethnic origin or appearance).

I refuse to accept this as a matter affecting only visible minorities or as a race issue.

Even a typical Anglo-Saxon looking white male wearing a nice suit can be a victim of such "mental shortcuts" in countries such as US and Canada (being seen as and stereotypically judged as a "WASP" or "White Anglo Saxon Protestant", while the individual could be anything but a typical WASP, yet, in the minds of everyone who is accustomed to a certain "mental shortcut" he will remain a WASP and treated as such, with a persistence that would surprise you if you conducted an experiment and watched just how stupid we, humans,are in our general interactions with each other).

That's not mind games, that's a lizard brain, it's very much out there and it guides 90% or more of our daily routine functions and interactions with each other.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Grass is never green in Canada cause its covered in snow most of the times and if it aint snow then then weeds. But no grass and no greenery.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Proverbial grass was very green in Canada for very long period of time, but things have changed since great recession.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
david1697 said:
Proverbial grass was very green in Canada for very long period of time, but things have changed since great recession.
Everytime I look at a $600,000 pigeon hole condo in toronto or a $1 million wooden shed made with the cheapest material in the planet I cannot help but wonder is Canada really in recession

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Newtone, that's so damn true for Canada. Housing is totally unaffordable in large cities such as Toronto, Vancouver etc. Lets say, you are a mid-level manager making inbetween 75K to 100K base. Your job is uncertain, so first and foremost, you have to think 10 times, before you get into a mortgage because of the high risk of losing your job. And more so, if you are a visible minority or aboriginal, because they tend to lose jobs faster than white people. Despite the risk, if you decide to take the plunge, and became a slave of that mortgage until your retirement, where is the joy? Most of your disposable income will be eaten up by the mortgage payments every month. And you will have less flexibility in terms of changing your job, and all your planning and thinking then, tends to revolve around your house and that bloody mortgage.

I believe, one of the keys to financial happiness, is an optimal ratio between monthly income and monthly mortgage payments. In stark contrast to Canada, there are plenty of B-class cities such as Seattle, Minneapolis etc where you have plenty of big companies head-quartered there. So you could find a job there, and the price of a 3 bedroom house will be around 200K to 300K. Your commute will be under 30 minutes by car, as opposed to 1.5 to 2 hours each way in Toronto. Your salary in B-class cities in US will be comparable to, or even more than what you might earn in Toronto, Vancouver or Alberta. So you will save more, pay less on mortgage and live a happier life. If you are one of the lucky ones, you might land a job in a big company like Microsoft in Seattle, pay low mortgage or even outright purchase the house if you have the dough, and become mortgage-free. US offers peace of mind. Also, in US, as long as you are willing to relocate, which many immigrants are, you will always find a job. Canada is messed up from multiple angles - housing, jobs, social equality etc. As much as I love Canada, and am proud to be Canadian, there is an equilibrium that is missing, which makes me want to flee this place in search of a better life.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
Everytime I look at a $600,000 pigeon hole condo in toronto or a $1 million wooden shed made with the cheapest material in the planet I cannot help but wonder is Canada really in recession
Yes, it is. Look and see what percentage of population can afford to buy those. There are mansions even in war torn Afghanistan (Google the pictures of the house of Uzbek General Dostum for instance). That doesn't mean Afghanistan has flourishing economy.

Where I live now (Washington, DC area) prices are also very high, I would say extremely inflated, and when I did research for my Real Estate Legal Class I was astounded to find out that many of these properties were (the ones that were around long enough) selling for 20% or less of their current value as recently as in 1990's. All the while the wages for mainstream jobs have stagnated (some even have fallen).
But if you come to DC you will see that market here is, as they say, "HOT!HOT!HOT!" and properties go in a snap of a finger.
Yes, we do have lots of people coming here and buying a property, but being able to lash out $500K-$1mil or more in DC area is in no way an indication of how great the economy here is. It is in deep recession, and you can see it when you apply for jobs, as well as when you ride the train and look at the faces of people. The regular people (who do 9-5 jobs and get paid the average of $40K +/- $4K) don't look happy at all, they look like they are riding from funeral (especially the evening ride back home)
And if you are out to find one of the jobs they are doing, you are up against couple of hundred desperate job seekers who want to do the same.
This is not a well doing economy.

It used to take a day to find a "dumb white collar" job that gets hundreds of Masters and PhD holders competing for today, and in those days that job was paying you enough to buy a family house of your own and settle in cosy, safe, or even upscale neighborhood ,with GREAT public schools, in suburban DC area. Those days are no more.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
david1697 said:
Yes, it is. Look and see what percentage of population can afford to buy those. There are mansions even in war torn Afghanistan (Google the pictures of the house of Uzbek General Dostum for instance). That doesn't mean Afghanistan has flourishing economy.

Where I live now (Washington, DC area) prices are also very high, I would say extremely inflated, and when I did research for my Real Estate Legal Class I was astounded to find out that many of these properties were (the ones that were around long enough) selling for 20% or less of their current value as recently as in 1990's. All the while the wages for mainstream jobs have stagnated (some even have fallen).
But if you come to DC you will see that market here is, as they say, "HOT!HOT!HOT!" and properties go in a snap of a finger.
Yes, we do have lots of people coming here and buying a property, but being able to lash out $500K-$1mil or more in DC area is in no way an indication of how great the economy here is. It is in deep recession, and you can see it when you apply for jobs, as well as when you ride the train and look at the faces of people. The regular people (who do 9-5 jobs and get paid the average of $40K +/- $4K) don't look happy at all, they look like they are riding from funeral (especially the evening ride back home)
And if you are out to find one of the jobs they are doing, you are up against couple of hundred desperate job seekers who want to do the same.
This is not a well doing economy.

It used to take a day to find a "dumb white collar" job that gets hundreds of Masters and PhD holders competing for today, and in those days that job was paying you enough to buy a family house of your own and settle in cosy, safe, or even upscale neighborhood ,with GREAT public schools, in suburban DC area. Those days are no more.
Lets compare like with like. We are talking about highly skilled immigrants, who atleast have a bachelors degree in a technical (STEM) or business discipline, have several years of work experience with brand-name global companies, speak excellent English and are at a proficiency level that enables them to apply for and get an H1-B visa. That's the same talent that has moved over from US to Canada, since 2008 due to the recession. I am one of them. Now, we are trying to compare whether Canada is a better destination for such a highly skilled worker in comparison to US and possibly other countries. We won't bring Afghanistan, Pakistan or any such country into this comparative analysis because those are not comparable economies. Also, highly skilled immigrants are not competing for 40K jobs in Washington DC. They are most likely to be found in sectors such as Banking & Financial services/insurance, High end manufacturing, Information Technology, Hi-Tech (silicon valley), medicine/healthcare, professional services (law, accountancy, management consulting, engineering) etc. Most of these professionals make six figure base salaries (+benefits + bonus). That's the talent that all developed countries compete for, because they add maximum value to the economy, pay high taxes and entrepreneurs usually come out of this talent bracket. So the question arises - for the highly skilled professional, and especially a visible minority, which country offers the best opportunity for success? Based on my extensive reading and experience, I would say, United States. Here, I seek to differentiate the experience of a white from a non-white. In a conservative country like Canada, highly skilled white professionals can do well here as well. They don't need to immigrate to other countries. However, if one is a visible minority or aboriginal in Canada, their chances of upward mobility are extremely limited.

America has a black President. It will soon likely elect its first ever woman president. Canada will possibly never have a non-white Prime Minister during my lifetime. If you look at both Liberal and Conservative federal cabinet ministers in any government, you will notice that visible minorities and aboriginals never receive any key portfolios. They usually get portfolios such as sports, multi-culturalism and some other departments that are of little consequence. Canada is not willing to share power with visible minorities and aboriginals, neither in the government nor in the private sector. Whites in Canada are scared of losing control, so they don't share power. That points to the lack of trust in aboriginals and visible minorities. On the other hand, US does not seem to have any such problem. You can routinely see visible minorities at the top echelons in the government and private sector. I believe in the importance of symbolism. Having a visible minority in key positions in the private sector and in the government, sends out a very strong, positive signal to the rest of the society. It changes the way, the majority thinks about the minority. Today, white people in US think, "A black person could become a president, so I better treat black people with respect". White people then start making positive mental associations between black and social status. That correlation then begins to change their attitude. For all its short-comings, I believe, US has the right eco-system for aboriginals and visible minorities to flourish. Most of us are professionally productive between the ages of 25 and 45, and then gradually we begin to taper off. If you are a visible minority or aboriginal in this age bracket and are highly skilled and professionally qualified, then it makes a lot of sense to move into the US rather than trying to battle a hostile system in Canada, that dissipates all your energy.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
@ Flute,

I commented on your other post (settlement section) and offered suggestions to the work-related issues you alleged I but don't believe you commented on the feedback. It would be interesting to know if you ever considered it or tried to put it into practice or how many employers you have worked for since being in Canada, and whether your experiences were the same.

I am also a minority and female. While there can be prejudice sometimes, I also believe it's something we can not "control" per se but how you react to it is very important for your own self-confidence and life in general. I think there are more challenges with the private sector unlike the public sector. Where I work, there is a diversity and inclusion team, workshops on such matters, and people(including passers by) are encouraged to report disrespectful behavior.

When I first started working, a female colleague would not acknowledge my morning greetings (I greet everyone I know or work with when I first see them in the morning, I was raised that way). After 3 attempts (to be sure I wasn't just imagining it), I stopped trying. Sometimes I would walk in on a conversation about socializing after work and it's clear there were no plans to invite me but then I get, "oh we are going to xyz, you can come if you want". Turned it down politely. They did this to other caucasian coworkers and in one instance I think it's because the girl got the job over them.

The economy is partly to blame... people scared of losing their jobs and some are using underhanded tactics. A friend works in retail and she could write your post. Her coworkers report her, take credit for her work and when she's called in she does not defend herself. I've tried to tell her that the behavior is considered bullying and she needs to speak up, but she says that she is not a PR or citizen so complaining won't serve her well. She thinks it's racism, but I don't know if it is.

Many times people behave a certain way because of what's going on with them (not to excuse the behavior) but being aware of that possibility makes it easier to recognize it has little to do with you. As far as I'm concerned, no matter how someone feels about me, we have to work together to achieve goals. If they are not willing to do this and I've made efforts to improve things and still no change, I am comfortable going to my boss. Even if the boss does nothing, you know you did your best and if that report/project doesn't get done or is late, you have covered your bases. Do you ever wonder if their behavior may be because they are intimidated by your education and/or work experience?

In your other post, you mentioned coworkers delaying reports, etc and I think attributed it to race. It may be the case (I don't know) but would be hard to make a convincing argument to your employer (unless you have concrete proof they don't do this with other coworkers) but if you made it about the challenges it (the reports) creates in doing your job, meeting deadlines, etc then to an employer it translates to loss in productivity(money) and they are likely to look into it. This does not mean what you felt/experienced is invalid but it takes care of problem which is getting your reports(hopefully) and doing your work. When it comes to making complaints, it's more effective to focus on the issue not the person.

You may also want to look for work at another bank(if you aren't already). I'm sorry you have had such an experience. Goodluck with your future endeavours.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flute said:
Lets compare like with like. We are talking about highly skilled immigrants, who atleast have a bachelors degree in a technical (STEM) or business discipline, have several years of work experience with brand-name global companies, speak excellent English and are at a proficiency level that enables them to apply for and get an H1-B visa. That's the same talent that has moved over from US to Canada, since 2008 due to the recession. I am one of them. Now, we are trying to compare whether Canada is a better destination for such a highly skilled worker in comparison to US and possibly other countries. We won't bring Afghanistan, Pakistan or any such country into this comparative analysis because those are not comparable economies. Also, highly skilled immigrants are not competing for 40K jobs in Washington DC. They are most likely to be found in sectors such as Banking & Financial services/insurance, High end manufacturing, Information Technology, Hi-Tech (silicon valley), medicine/healthcare, professional services (law, accountancy, management consulting, engineering) etc. Most of these professionals make six figure base salaries (+benefits + bonus). That's the talent that all developed countries compete for, because they add maximum value to the economy, pay high taxes and entrepreneurs usually come out of this talent bracket. So the question arises - for the highly skilled professional, and especially a visible minority, which country offers the best opportunity for success? Based on my extensive reading and experience, I would say, United States. Here, I seek to differentiate the experience of a white from a non-white. In a conservative country like Canada, highly skilled white professionals can do well here as well. They don't need to immigrate to other countries. However, if one is a visible minority or aboriginal in Canada, their chances of upward mobility are extremely limited.

America has a black President. It will soon likely elect its first ever woman president. Canada will possibly never have a non-white Prime Minister during my lifetime. If you look at both Liberal and Conservative federal cabinet ministers in any government, you will notice that visible minorities and aboriginals never receive any key portfolios. They usually get portfolios such as sports, multi-culturalism and some other departments that are of little consequence. Canada is not willing to share power with visible minorities and aboriginals, neither in the government nor in the private sector. Whites in Canada are scared of losing control, so they don't share power. That points to the lack of trust in aboriginals and visible minorities. On the other hand, US does not seem to have any such problem. You can routinely see visible minorities at the top echelons in the government and private sector. I believe in the importance of symbolism. Having a visible minority in key positions in the private sector and in the government, sends out a very strong, positive signal to the rest of the society. It changes the way, the majority thinks about the minority. Today, white people in US think, "A black person could become a president, so I better treat black people with respect". White people then start making positive mental associations between black and social status. That correlation then begins to change their attitude. For all its short-comings, I believe, US has the right eco-system for aboriginals and visible minorities to flourish. Most of us are professionally productive between the ages of 25 and 45, and then gradually we begin to taper off. If you are a visible minority or aboriginal in this age bracket and are highly skilled and professionally qualified, then it makes a lot of sense to move into the US rather than trying to battle a hostile system in Canada, that dissipates all your energy.
@ Flute. I am not going to continue arguing with you. I have made my point of view clear. You certainly are entitled to your own opinion.

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
Flute said:
**I continue to be a big critic of the transportation infrastructure across Canada, its lagging behind its peer countries and in some cases, even behind developing countries such as China, Singapore, India etc. In many parts of rural Canada, they don't have access to any form of public or even private transportation - buses, trains, airports etc. This is yet another form of discrimination that is rarely discussed - the urban versus rural divide. That in turn fuels racism in Canada, due to the lack of cultural exposure. True cultural integration will only happen when you establish transportation networks across Canada that improve connectivity across communities. Even developing countries like China and India have succeeded in doing this - they have got a train and a bus going to every little village across the length and breadth of their country. But Canada has not been able to accomplish this, despite having access to far greater financial resources.
Outside of major cities, mass transportation in the US is likewise abysmal. I've never worked in a city where a white collared professional could have lived without a personal automobile. These were not rural areas.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not wish to argue with user Flute, as I believe he is entitled to his opinion even if I highly disagree with what he states.

But for everyone else, I decided to post couple of links (and you can search for more), where you can read what the current job market in US is.

If you need to come to US to avoid persecution back home and for the sake of your freedom then come here, it's still probably the freest or one of the freest countries in the world. But don't come here in false hope of getting a job and to improve your career.
All you will be doing is adding to a pool of already huge number of desperate job seekers (which ironically includes many employed people who are sick and tired of being stuck in dead end and low paying jobs and constantly looking for anything other).

The good ole days when pizza delivery guy could start up a Pizza Hut or former village boy from overseas found a multimillion dollar IT firm in Tech Valley California are GONE! So are the days when HR's were looking in monster.com and calling you for an interview , one next to another, and you were choosing where to work.
Forget about it! Today , even in US, when you apply for a job you are playing a lotto (odds could be anything from 1 in 200 to 1 in 1000 or more, depending on how many other, desperate , proverbial sperms are racing with you for an egg).

Here are the links:

http://goo.gl/u9PQir (this thread has 479 comments as of this moment, the OP posted 80 months ago and last 2 comments left 10 days ago)

You can visit the forum and search for all types of subjects and topics there. All real experiences, real people, like here.

http://goo.gl/zOmbU7 (this will tell you what happens when you go through recruiting agency)

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
In US, many people who complain that they don't find jobs even during times like these, when the economy is doing well, only have themselves to blame. As per my observation, such people are not geographically mobile ie they are unwilling to relocate. Also, even if they are willing to relocate, they put onerous conditions such as asking a prospective employer to pay their relocation costs, which makes them uncompetitive vis-à-vis local candidates. If people were more amenable to moving around across US, the unemployment rate would go down drastically, and overall productivity would considerably improve. Also, the nature of the US labour market and Canadian labour market are very different.

Canadian labour market is segmented based on province. For instance; Ontario is the hub for the financial services industry. British Columbia is the hub for film making, forestry and resources. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are known for agri-business. Alberta is a centre for the Oil & Gas industry, and so on. Now, one could argue that the US too has such segmentation. For instance; financial services/banking/capital markets is concentrated in NYC. Insurance in Hartford. Hedge funds in Greenwich (Connecticut). Entertainment industry in LA. Advertising industry/fashion/publishing in NYC. Hi-tech/IT in the Bay area (California), Meat packing industry in the Midwest and so on. However, I have observed that large companies tend to have regional headquarters in various states. Example, Chicago serves as the mid-west regional headquarters for most big US companies. Those regional HQs tend to generate lot of employment. That happens because the size of US companies is so massive, and many of them tend to have global operations, which accounts for their large size. Most Canadian companies tend to be focused on domestic market or at the most, on the north American market. The NAFTA agreement has spoilt all Canadian companies, and made them lazy, because they have a ready market available in the US, so they don't make much of an effort to export to other countries. In addition, I find that even though industry sectors are concentrated in specific states in the US, they are also more fragmented/dissipated than in Canada. That is a direct consequence of the way population is distributed across US. Most US states have larger populations, in comparison to the distribution of population in Canadian provinces. In Canada; Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Calgary account for majority of Canada's population, even though Canada has 13 provinces. Most of those provinces have large areas that are sparsely inhabited. That too has partly contributed to the clustering of industry sectors in specific provinces. Due to better distribution of population in US across all states, demand for goods and services is more evenly distributed across US, in comparison to Canada. Cost of goods and services is also much cheaper than in Canada, since companies benefit from economies of scale. US is a 15 trillion dollar economy with a population of 350 million while Canada is a 1.2 trillion dollar economy with a population of 35 million. During the last 5 years that I have stayed here in Canada, I have seen lot of American companies flee Canada. After trying out the Canadian market for a while, most of them have sold off their operations to Canadian companies. Canadian economy tends to create oligopolies in virtually every industry sector (5 banks, 2 insurance companies, 3 telecom companies, handful of media companies etc). That in turn reduces labour mobility and also has an impact on productivity (due to lack of competition as well as inability of fewer employers to absorb available workforce). Due to all of these reasons, employment opportunities are much better in US than in Canada. In the US, as long as you are willing to relocate, you will always find a job.