+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa rejected. Need help reapplying.

NotARobot

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
My mom, dad, and my younger sister (29) applied for TRV to attend my wedding in late June. They applied together with my dad as the principal applicant (paper application). They got rejection emails exactly one week after they submitted their applications. This is so upsetting. I can't even fathom having a wedding without them. The grounds for refusal they gave in the email were:

· I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

· I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.

The thing is those reasons just don't make sense to me. My family is fortunate enough to have always been in a good financial situation and own properties. Also, all three of them have, what I would consider, strong travel histories.

For proof of personal assets and financial status, they submitted letter of goodwill from the bank, my dad's bank statements showing about 120K, company business registration document for 2 different businesses, bank statement for one business, tax documents, audited financial statements, land/property ownership documents for all three of them. My sister also submitted her own employment letter, bank statements, and letter of goodwill from the bank.

In the past 10 years my dad has traveled to US five times and Germany twice. My mother has traveled to the US four times in the past 10 years. My sister was an undergrad student in the US from 2007-2011 and then spent another year in the US working on OPT (Optional Practical Training). She came back home in 2012 after completing her OPT and has since visited the US twice on visitor visa. She has also traveled to Germany, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, and Thailand (twice) in the last 10 years. All three of them have currently valid US visas (that expire in 2021) thus making them eligible for CAN+ processing. They have mentioned the CAN+ eligibility in the cover letter and I have done the same in my invitation letter as well. They scanned all the visas and the exit/entry stamps and submitted them with the application package. They even made a travel history table for each applicant with columns for Country, Entry date, Exit date, and Purpose of Visit.

I just fail to understand how they could be rejected for TRV based on their personal assets and financial status, and travel history. It just doesn't make sense. Can senior experts like @Bryanna @scylla or anybody help me understand what can we do different when reapplying so that we get a positive response. We have decided that we will try again with only my parents applying. We're also considering doing an online application this time. Do you think this will help or does it not really matter?

FYI, this is the list of documents they submitted along with their forms and document checklist

1. Cover Letter
2. Proof of fee payment
3. Passport copies of all three applicants
4. Photos of all three applicants
5. Purpose of Travel
· My wedding invitation card and envelope
· Wedding venue confirmation
· Travel Itinerary
6. Previous travel history of all three applicants
7. Proof of Financial Support and Asset
· Letter from Bank regarding Personal bank status
· Bank Statements
· Letter from Company A stating my dad's position in the company
o Bank Statement for Company A
o Company Registration documents for Company A- Notarized
o Company A Brochure
· Tax Documents
· Audited financial statement
· Company Registration documents for Company B- Notarized
· Land Documents under all three applicants' names
8. More documents belonging to sister
· Letter of employment
· Personal Bank documents
· Letter of goodwill from Bank
· Bachelor’s degree certificate from XXXXX College, New York, USA
9. Marriage Certificate of my parents
10. Letter of invitation
· Invitation letter from me and my fiance
· A copy of my PR card and his passport front page
· Our bank statements
11. Proof of Relationship
· My Birth Certificate proving that my mom and dad are my parents
· My sister's Birth Certificate proving that we have the same parents and are hence sisters

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You need to request their GCMS notes. It will take about a month, and you'll get more detailed reasoning from the visa officer's notes (or detailed notes of a lack of reason).

NotARobot

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
You need to request their GCMS notes. It will take about a month, and you'll get more detailed reasoning from the visa officer's notes (or detailed notes of a lack of reason).
Thanks for the suggestion, although I'm afraid that if we reapply only after getting the GCMS notes, then the visa may not be given in time for my wedding.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Also, my dad is suggesting we consult an immigration lawyer. Do you guys think that is a wise choice.
It may be, and it will be expensive.

A lawyer will likely recommend getting your GCMS notes. On the face of it, the info you provided would not tend towards a rejection, in my mind, so there's something else going on. Either it's something huge that a lawyer will catch in the documents you submitted, or it's a misapprehension on the part of the visa officer, which you'll catch with GCMS.

Understood re timeframes, but sometimes you need the notes.

NotARobot

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
It may be, and it will be expensive.

A lawyer will likely recommend getting your GCMS notes. On the face of it, the info you provided would not tend towards a rejection, in my mind, so there's something else going on. Either it's something huge that a lawyer will catch in the documents you submitted, or it's a misapprehension on the part of the visa officer, which you'll catch with GCMS.

Understood re timeframes, but sometimes you need the notes.
How should we go about requesting GCMS notes? Theirs was a paper application and my dad got text messages on his phone regarding the status of their application, up until the rejection email.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, on the face of it this is a strong application so it's odd that it was denied.

There's a very small chance that this was an error of some sort by IRCC and a fresh application will go through. However, if it isn't an error, then two refusals look even worse.

You cannot know without the notes. A lawyer or consultant will ask for that as well. You need information.

You should immediately apply for GCMS notes. That will take about 30 days, so you'll have it by May 11. You can always look for a lawyer in the meantime - say it takes 10 days to find a good lawyer/consultant. You can then tell them you'll have your GCMS notes in 20 days and they can work your file and apply by mid-May.

If you know what the issue was, and you can fix it in your new application, you can get a visa in 15-20 days. That still gives you time with your wedding in late June.

Apply for GCMS notes right now.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
How should we go about requesting GCMS notes? Theirs was a paper application and my dad got text messages on his phone regarding the status of their application, up until the rejection email.
Google "get GCMS" and pick one of the companies. It costs around $20.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It's all processed all the same. To be honest, I don't know why your application was rejected. Did you provide a cover letter in the application? If you did, could it be read in any way to suggest that your family would be working, such as saying they would care for you, or take care of you, or anything like that?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
@k.h.p.
Just did it. Thanks. Do you guys think submitting an online application instead of a paper application would help in any way?
Online applications are preferred since IRCC can move the application to any visa office in the world to speed things up. Paper applications have to be processed where they are submitted.

Other than that there isn't supposed to be any difference. Legally speaking, they are the same. However, online applications are a little more efficient and (usually) faster.

NotARobot

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
It's all processed all the same. To be honest, I don't know why your application was rejected. Did you provide a cover letter in the application? If you did, could it be read in any way to suggest that your family would be working, such as saying they would care for you, or take care of you, or anything like that?
Yes, they did provide a cover letter. The part of the cover letter that mentions their time in Canada is this:
"As parents and sister of the bride, we will also be involved in the traditional wedding ritual, the actual wedding ceremony, and the wedding volunteers appreciation event. Beside the wedding festivities, our trip will involve sight-seeing in Toronto and Niagara Falls, a cottage trip to Tobermory/ Bruce Peninsula Region with my son-in-law’s family, and meeting friends and relatives who will be attending the wedding ceremony. A copy of my planned itinerary is attached herewith."
I don't think there's anything "off" about the above paragraph.

However, in the itinerary, they have listed the activities for the 3 days prior to the wedding as "Wedding preparation meeting with volunteers" and
"Help with arrangements and preparations for the wedding". Do you think these two sentences suggests that they will be working here in Canada?

NotARobot

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
Online applications are preferred since IRCC can move the application to any visa office in the world to speed things up. Paper applications have to be processed where they are submitted.

Other than that there isn't supposed to be any difference. Legally speaking, they are the same. However, online applications are a little more efficient and (usually) faster.
Thanks. Yah I think when we do reapply, we will go the online route.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, they did provide a cover letter. The part of the cover letter that mentions their time in Canada is this:
"As parents and sister of the bride, we will also be involved in the traditional wedding ritual, the actual wedding ceremony, and the wedding volunteers appreciation event. Beside the wedding festivities, our trip will involve sight-seeing in Toronto and Niagara Falls, a cottage trip to Tobermory/ Bruce Peninsula Region with my son-in-law’s family, and meeting friends and relatives who will be attending the wedding ceremony. A copy of my planned itinerary is attached herewith."
I don't think there's anything "off" about the above paragraph.

However, in the itinerary, I have listed the activities for the 3 days prior to the wedding as "Wedding preparation meeting with volunteers" and
"Help with arrangements and preparations for the wedding". Do you think these two sentences suggests that they will be working here in Canada?
Maybe, but it's really a stretch. I don't see it.