16-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Passport Req..
11-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-05-2015
Hi Everyone,
Virus it is indeed a great job to have this thread. It is a nice platform for all our concerns.

I have a question regarding the investments outside Canada, how do we declare that? If we have a property or some kind of Fixed deposit or mutual funds or bonds. How are these treated? Ultimately we are going to get the funds to Canada one day so do we declare it when we arrive? Do we have to pay tax on property owned outside Canada, what if we decide to sell it at a later stage? Will the income be taxable, are we allowed to get the funds to Canada?

Will appreciate if someone can throw some light on these concerns.
Thanks

nepalking

Nov 8, 2014
Dear Friends,

I am Duli Chand Poddar (DCP) thanking all of you for your kind support, guidance and/or help in any manner. I had applied for FSW 2014 on November 2014. My NOC is 2172 and timelines are:

1. Application Date: 28th Nov 2014
2. PER date: 16th Feb 2015
3. AOR date: 16th Mar 2015
4. Second Line: 2nd May 2015
5. Medical Request: 6th May 2015
6. Medical Done: 10th May 2015
7. Third Line: 20th May 2015
8. DM/PPR: 30th July 2015

I am planning to relocate to Vancouver on last week of November 2015. Since Vancouver is the best place to live in Canada, North America or Globally. Vancouver is also one of the most beautiful cities in Canada or North America with ample opportunity for varieties domain expertise, tourism and businesses.

My brother is living in Vancouver from past 15 years and holds citizenship of Canada. I request you to let me or my brother know if you need any kind of help/support for your relocation. The support includes but not limited to, medical insurance on arrival, apartment rental, initial and basic requirements, opening accounts, buying vehicles, etc.

Since staying in hotel is very costly during the first few days, it is advisable to rent an apartment immediately on arrival. Please feel free to contact me if you are in India and planning to relocate to Vancouver. And contact my brother directly if you are in Vancouver and finding difficulties for above mentioned requirements.

Contact details:

Duli Chand Poddar in India: +91 8801750207
Mohan Poddar in Canada: +1 604 603 6715

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
SHSajib said:
Thanks a lot arman79 for your quick response, but what about settling down at Ontario?
Please eloborate more about ur query; what do you mean "what about settling down at Ontario?"
you can land and settle down in Ontario, irrespective of your earlier choice (vancouver)...

seanr

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Nomination.....
21-10-2014 PER
IELTS Request
23-06-2014
Med's Request
16-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Passport Req..
11-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-05-2015
Hello DCP,

Great to have such kind of help and support. I am looking at landing in October. I would like some information on the property declaration in Canada, as you know that in Canada worldwide income is taxable what happens to a property that we own in Canada where we used to reside but will be rented out once we relocate?

Thanks for your advise.

nepalking said:
Dear Friends,

I am Duli Chand Poddar (DCP) thanking all of you for your kind support, guidance and/or help in any manner. I had applied for FSW 2014 on November 2014. My NOC is 2172 and timelines are:

1. Application Date: 28th Nov 2014
2. PER date: 16th Feb 2015
3. AOR date: 16th Mar 2015
4. Second Line: 2nd May 2015
5. Medical Request: 6th May 2015
6. Medical Done: 10th May 2015
7. Third Line: 20th May 2015
8. DM/PPR: 30th July 2015

I am planning to relocate to Vancouver on last week of November 2015. Since Vancouver is the best place to live in Canada, North America or Globally. Vancouver is also one of the most beautiful cities in Canada or North America with ample opportunity for varieties domain expertise, tourism and businesses.

My brother is living in Vancouver from past 15 years and holds citizenship of Canada. I request you to let me or my brother know if you need any kind of help/support for your relocation. The support includes but not limited to, medical insurance on arrival, apartment rental, initial and basic requirements, opening accounts, buying vehicles, etc.

Since staying in hotel is very costly during the first few days, it is advisable to rent an apartment immediately on arrival. Please feel free to contact me if you are in India and planning to relocate to Vancouver. And contact my brother directly if you are in Vancouver and finding difficulties for above mentioned requirements.

Contact details:

Duli Chand Poddar in India: +91 8801750207
Mohan Poddar in Canada: +1 604 603 6715

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
seanr said:
Hello DCP,

Great to have such kind of help and support. I am looking at landing in October. I would like some information on the property declaration in Canada, as you know that in Canada worldwide income is taxable what happens to a property that we own in Canada where we used to reside but will be rented out once we relocate?

Thanks for your advise.
If you land this year, then next year (april 2016) you will have to file income tax return.. This is necessary in which you will have to declare all income outside canada or property u owe outside canada. Income tax will be filed for 2015 in 2016, and amount calculated will be according to your period u lived in canada in that particular year. If you landed in Oct 2015, then it means u stayed 3 months in Canada, so they will calculate the tax return accordingly. But I feel tax should not be deducted for you for 2015 for income/property u owe outside canada. If u lived the whole year of 2016 in canada then in 2017, there will be tax deductions...This is how I remember my lawyer told me when i filed tax returns in April 2015 for last year...
At airport, You need to declare anything u are bringing with you (more than CAD $10,000) and there is no tax on the amount you are bringing with you. This is what custom officer told me when i landed at Vacouver airport..but you must declare...In fact I remember he told me that usually people dont declare money and at times they think it will be taxable which is not...

SHSajib

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
arman79 said:
Please eloborate more about ur query; what do you mean "what about settling down at Ontario?"
you can land and settle down in Ontario, irrespective of your earlier choice (vancouver)...
Thanks arman79 for your reply.

I just wanted to ask, Is it possible or is there any problem (in getting PR Card, citizenship...etc), If I make entry to Ontario and settle there with my family instead of settling at Vancouver?

I hope I got my reply from you. Please let me know if you have anything to add.

Thanks
SHSajib

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
SHSajib said:
Thanks arman79 for your reply.

I just wanted to ask, Is it possible or is there any problem (in getting PR Card, citizenship...etc), If I make entry to Ontario and settle there with my family instead of settling at Vancouver?

I hope I got my reply from you. Please let me know if you have anything to add.

Thanks
SHSajib
As earlier I mentioned, you can land and settle in Ontario as per your plans and there will not be an issue in getting PR card/citizenship based on this fact. In my COPR, mentioned destination was Calgary but I landed and settled in Vancouver ...hope it clarifies...

happy-go-lucky

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO (transferred to WVO)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2014
Nomination.....
28-01-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2015 (Warsaw)
File Transfer...
ECAS 2nd line update: Started processing: 10-04-2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
23-05-2015
Interview........
PCC/RPRF Reciept/ Updated POF sent on 29 May 2015. Received on 1 June, 2015. Third line update in ECAS on 2nd June, 2015
Passport Req..
06-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2015
LANDED..........
Feb 2015
Hi Arman,

I understand that you have settled in Vancouver since the last 3 years or so. We usually get to hear some bad experiences about immigrants who are not able to make it well in Canada which makes us a little anxious. How would you say your experience has been in Vancouver and Canada in totality? ;D

How is the climate there?

I and my spouse are from HR background. Do you think we will get jobs in Vancouver? How much should be an average monthly income to survive in Vancouver knowing that it is one of the most expensive cities of the world ;)

We would love to hear a settler's view point :D

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
happy-go-lucky said:
Hi Arman,

I understand that you have settled in Vancouver since the last 3 years or so. We usually get to hear some bad experiences about immigrants who are not able to make it well in Canada which makes us a little anxious. How would you say your experience has been in Vancouver and Canada in totality? ;D

How is the climate there?

I and my spouse are from HR background. Do you think we will get jobs in Vancouver? How much should be an average monthly income to survive in Vancouver knowing that it is one of the most expensive cities of the world ;)

We would love to hear a settler's view point :D
Well, I landed 2 year back in vancouver but moved in here for good early this year. Everyone has their own stories and experiences..To be honest, it all depends on Al Mighty God and on you... how well you are prepared. For my part, I do not have any regrets leaving settled permenent good paid job in UAE...

Canada is a place where u can live for permenent and you can call your home... Unfortunately Canada is undergoing recession period due to low oil prices (canada is world 5th high energy producer) but still there are jobs and country is going well. Vancouver is nice and beautiful place to live. Weather is awesome especially in winters as compare to rest of states and cities.. But it is expensive in terms of gas, housing and other taxes...

In spite of being in recession, there are many jobs available in the BC market ... I always say; when you start your new life in canada; bring as much as your savings and dont focus more on salaries initially when you moved in here. Canadian experiences counts a lot... Canadian experience, canadian references are key in getting jobs.. But still people do get jobs..I got job in 4 month time after I moved in here... You really need to search pretty well on websites to search available jobs... Updating your educational skills are also very important and one should seriously think about it, although it cost but it is the investment you putting on yourself for future better job opportunities...

While I was searching for jobs, I saw many various jobs related to HR so there are bright chances to get a job in your field. You need to have strong references from your previous employees. (This is very much important and key before job offering). It is very unlikely to get job without previous references... Bring all your educational documents, experience certificates, credential evaluation, original transcripts etc ....

Vancouver is expensive as compare to other states (second to toronto) in terms of housing but it depends on what you require, your preferences, no of bedrooms, location, your family size etc... Living around vancouver downtown is hell expensive. So people (esp newly immigrants) prefer to live around Surrey, Langley, Burnaby, (nearby cities/town) to Vancouver... you can check criaglist.com (vancouver) to get some idea about housing prices ..Usually it takes $1500-1800 for townhouse in Surrey but in same price you can hardly get one bedroom flat (condo) in downtown vancouver... So, it all depends on your family size, your budget and which part of the city you want to live in. Some people prefer to live in basement suits which can be cheaper ($800-1000) in Surrey...

Gas prices are expensive in BC as compare to rest of the country. Food items are reasonable and not taxable... You cant get away from monthly payments of your health insurance $72.00 per month per member (MSP) , Auto Insurance; $210 per month (ICBC), food, Gas and house rent...

One thing i must say and I adore, there is no racism factor exist, it could be at individual level, but at whole you wont feel being discrimated on the basis of your race...Thats what I like most. In terms of employment, they would see your interview skills, your resume, your qualification, experience NOT your race... Even in your daily life you wont come across such thing in here.... People are nice, helpful and friendly...

No one can answer you, if you or your spouse will get jobs in Vancouver...as earlier I mentioned it depends on how well you are prepared, your thorough search, your resume presentation, your experience, qualification... All I would say, there are opportunities and you shouldnt be scared from people with bad experiences; everyone has their own fate...it more depends on you.. BUT same time you must be mentally prepared to struggle, which is normal when you are moving to new country. This is not Middle East, where you can live on the basis of pre-arranged employment... So have your savings as much as you can arrange, and come with better planning, positive approach , dont be dishearten and try to meet people with good and successful stories, which will motivate you....

I cant reply exactly how much average monthly income should be enough to survive, it depends on your needs, and your expenditures... If suppose your monthly income is $4000, but you may get around $31-3200 instead ( rest income tax deduction(federal & provincial), employment insurance etc). As soon as you land, open your account and you should register your children for Universal Child Tax Benefit (monthly payment for children-depend on child age and no of children)...

Good Luck with your plans...

SHSajib

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
arman79 said:
As earlier I mentioned, you can land and settle in Ontario as per your plans and there will not be an issue in getting PR card/citizenship based on this fact. In my COPR, mentioned destination was Calgary but I landed and settled in Vancouver ...hope it clarifies...
Thanks arman79.

happy-go-lucky

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2014
Nomination.....
28-01-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2015 (Warsaw)
File Transfer...
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
23-05-2015
Interview........
PCC/RPRF Reciept/ Updated POF sent on 29 May 2015. Received on 1 June, 2015. Third line update in ECAS on 2nd June, 2015
Passport Req..
06-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2015
LANDED..........
Feb 2015
Hi Arman,

Thank you sooooo much for such a detailed response. The points mentioned by you have given me practical insights about the life in Vancouver. I am really happy to note that there is no obvious racism which is something people say is frequent in some developed countries. ;D

You are absolutely right that it is not going to be a cakewalk for getting the dream job and we need to invest time and efforts in paving a way for ourselves by way of education. I do have some funds available and hence I was planning to pursue a 1 year course in Vancouver before working like an executive MBA or PG in HR. Meanwhile my spouse will start working, we have no other dependents. Do you think it makes sense? If so can you suggest some websites that can help me with?

Also, we are planning to land in Jan/ Feb. Do you think that will be a good time (weather/ industry wise)?

Also, what all stuff did you bring to Vancouver when to immigrated?

Thank you once again :D

arman79 said:
Well, I landed 2 year back in vancouver but moved in here for good early this year. Everyone has their own stories and experiences..To be honest, it all depends on Al Mighty God and on you... how well you are prepared. For my part, I do not have any regrets leaving settled permenent good paid job in UAE...

Canada is a place where u can live for permenent and you can call your home... Unfortunately Canada is undergoing recession period due to low oil prices (canada is world 5th high energy producer) but still there are jobs and country is going well. Vancouver is nice and beautiful place to live. Weather is awesome especially in winters as compare to rest of states and cities.. But it is expensive in terms of gas, housing and other taxes...

In spite of being in recession, there are many jobs available in the BC market ... I always say; when you start your new life in canada; bring as much as your savings and dont focus more on salaries initially when you moved in here. Canadian experiences counts a lot... Canadian experience, canadian references are key in getting jobs.. But still people do get jobs..I got job in 4 month time after I moved in here... You really need to search pretty well on websites to search available jobs... Updating your educational skills are also very important and one should seriously think about it, although it cost but it is the investment you putting on yourself for future better job opportunities...

While I was searching for jobs, I saw many various jobs related to HR so there are bright chances to get a job in your field. You need to have strong references from your previous employees. (This is very much important and key before job offering). It is very unlikely to get job without previous references... Bring all your educational documents, experience certificates, credential evaluation, original transcripts etc ....

Vancouver is expensive as compare to other states (second to toronto) in terms of housing but it depends on what you require, your preferences, no of bedrooms, location, your family size etc... Living around vancouver downtown is hell expensive. So people (esp newly immigrants) prefer to live around Surrey, Langley, Burnaby, (nearby cities/town) to Vancouver... you can check criaglist.com (vancouver) to get some idea about housing prices ..Usually it takes $1500-1800 for townhouse in Surrey but in same price you can hardly get one bedroom flat (condo) in downtown vancouver... So, it all depends on your family size, your budget and which part of the city you want to live in. Some people prefer to live in basement suits which can be cheaper ($800-1000) in Surrey...

Gas prices are expensive in BC as compare to rest of the country. Food items are reasonable and not taxable... You cant get away from monthly payments of your health insurance $72.00 per month per member (MSP) , Auto Insurance; $210 per month (ICBC), food, Gas and house rent...

One thing i must say and I adore, there is no racism factor exist, it could be at individual level, but at whole you wont feel being discrimated on the basis of your race...Thats what I like most. In terms of employment, they would see your interview skills, your resume, your qualification, experience NOT your race... Even in your daily life you wont come across such thing in here.... People are nice, helpful and friendly...

No one can answer you, if you or your spouse will get jobs in Vancouver...as earlier I mentioned it depends on how well you are prepared, your thorough search, your resume presentation, your experience, qualification... All I would say, there are opportunities and you shouldnt be scared from people with bad experiences; everyone has their own fate...it more depends on you.. BUT same time you must be mentally prepared to struggle, which is normal when you are moving to new country. This is not Middle East, where you can live on the basis of pre-arranged employment... So have your savings as much as you can arrange, and come with better planning, positive approach , dont be dishearten and try to meet people with good and successful stories, which will motivate you....

I cant reply exactly how much average monthly income should be enough to survive, it depends on your needs, and your expenditures... If suppose your monthly income is $4000, but you may get around $31-3200 instead ( rest income tax deduction(federal & provincial), employment insurance etc). As soon as you land, open your account and you should register your children for Universal Child Tax Benefit (monthly payment for children-depend on child age and no of children)...

Good Luck with your plans...

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
happy-go-lucky said:
Hi Arman,

Thank you sooooo much for such a detailed response. The points mentioned by you have given me practical insights about the life in Vancouver. I am really happy to note that there is no obvious racism which is something people say is frequent in some developed countries. ;D

You are absolutely right that it is not going to be a cakewalk for getting the dream job and we need to invest time and efforts in paving a way for ourselves by way of education. I do have some funds available and hence I was planning to pursue a 1 year course in Vancouver before working like an executive MBA or PG in HR. Meanwhile my spouse will start working, we have no other dependents. Do you think it makes sense? If so can you suggest some websites that can help me with?

Also, we are planning to land in Jan/ Feb. Do you think that will be a good time (weather/ industry wise)?

Also, what all stuff did you bring to Vancouver when to immigrated?

Thank you once again :D
Well, it is you, who can decide what suits you best regarding your plans, however to search for universities and programs check this website and you can search as per your choice of program
http://www.canadian-universities.net/Universities/Programs/
Most of Universities starts admission procedures in Fall (September). So if you require admission in 2016 (fall) then application submission will start from Septemeber 2015. So i would advise you that if you plan to take admission in Sept 2016, then start checking and contacting universities by Sept 2015, usually their last admission acceptance date is end of January or feb/march 2016... So if you apply on time, u will save time and once u land in canada you will not have to wait another year for admission in 2017. However some certification courses and diploma courses are on going in colleges....

Weather is cold but not freezing as compare to rest of country in Jan/Feb , so it is fine to land during this period any month in the year...

you can bring any stuff for your daily use. check this website for details;
http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/what-you-can-bring-home-to-canada

happy-go-lucky

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2014
Nomination.....
28-01-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2015 (Warsaw)
File Transfer...
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
23-05-2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
06-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2015
LANDED..........
Feb 2015
Thank you very very much for your valuable inputs... It certainly has given me some idea about how I should plan my journey :D :D :D

arman79 said:
Well, it is you, who can decide what suits you best regarding your plans, however to search for universities and programs check this website and you can search as per your choice of program
http://www.canadian-universities.net/Universities/Programs/
Most of Universities starts admission procedures in Fall (September). So if you require admission in 2016 (fall) then application submission will start from Septemeber 2015. So i would advise you that if you plan to take admission in Sept 2016, then start checking and contacting universities by Sept 2015, usually their last admission acceptance date is end of January or feb/march 2016... So if you apply on time, u will save time and once u land in canada you will not have to wait another year for admission in 2017. However some certification courses and diploma courses are on going in colleges....

Weather is cold but not freezing as compare to rest of country in Jan/Feb , so it is fine to land during this period any month in the year...

you can bring any stuff for your daily use. check this website for details;
http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/what-you-can-bring-home-to-canada

v_i_r_u_s

May 9, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
18-09-2014
File Transfer...
18-09-2014
Med's Request
02-03-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
25-10-2015
Thanks arman79 for your valuable suggestion :)

ashishv

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi -> Colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Dec 2014
AOR Received.
March 2015
Med's Request
May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
July 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 2016
seanr said:
Hi Everyone,
Virus it is indeed a great job to have this thread. It is a nice platform for all our concerns.

I have a question regarding the investments outside Canada, how do we declare that? If we have a property or some kind of Fixed deposit or mutual funds or bonds. How are these treated? Ultimately we are going to get the funds to Canada one day so do we declare it when we arrive? Do we have to pay tax on property owned outside Canada, what if we decide to sell it at a later stage? Will the income be taxable, are we allowed to get the funds to Canada?

Will appreciate if someone can throw some light on these concerns.
Thanks
Seanr
I agree with you that almost all of us will have a home and other savings which we would like to transfer to our new Home - Canada!
As far as Fixed Deposit, mutual funds, bonds - liquid money is concerned, you can carry it while doing the landing and declare it at the airport (if it is more than $10,000). This money is non-taxable as suggested by many other members in the forum.

Coming to the point of liquidation of your fixed asset like your home at a later stage - in my opinion, you will pay capital gain tax on it in your home country and then it depends on the tax treaty between your home country and Canada.

Canada taxes your global income. However, this would completely depend on the tax treaty which Canada has with your home country.