+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver Settler Thread

v_i_r_u_s

Hero Member
May 9, 2013
712
76
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
1112
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
18-09-2014
File Transfer...
18-09-2014
Med's Request
02-03-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
25-10-2015
Hi All,

I have opened this thread to make this a common platform for all who are going to settle in Vancouver and also those who have already landed / settled in Vancouver.

Please share all the useful info here related to the followings:

Settlement
Housing
Health care (MSP)
Transportation
Banking
child care / schooling
Community Centers
Education
Career
Driving license
Landing experience
Etc

Some of the useful links I found out are mentioned below:


Housing/Furniture/Cars/Jobs - http://vancouver.craigslist.ca , http://www.kijiji.ca/h-vancouver
Healthcare - http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents
Driving License - http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Pages/Default.aspx
Career - www.workbc.ca
Childcare Subsidy - http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/subsidy/index.htm?WT.svl=LeftNav

Already landed immigrants are welcome to provide their suggestions and thoughts to make this thread useful

Good Luck :)
 

seanr

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
106
7
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Nomination.....
21-10-2014 PER
IELTS Request
23-06-2014
Med's Request
16-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Passport Req..
11-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-05-2015
HI V_i_r_u_s,

I will be landing in Canada on 1st October, what are your plans? Have you managed to find a job in Vancouver?
Thanks
 

Subash

Hero Member
Jun 10, 2013
631
35
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Nomination.....
14-11-2014
File Transfer...
11th March 2015(2nd line on ecas)
Med's Request
28th March 2015
Med's Done....
01,April 2015
Passport Req..
7th May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
17th May 2015
Hi,

Wonderful to see the creation of thread for Vancouver settlers. I am the one who is also scheduled to land on 23rd of August.
Hopefully many guys will participate here for your valuable views and comments related to settlement issues in Vancouver.

Please keep post something on the thread as this will be of big help for us for the settlement.
 

v_i_r_u_s

Hero Member
May 9, 2013
712
76
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
1112
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
18-09-2014
File Transfer...
18-09-2014
Med's Request
02-03-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
25-10-2015
Hi Seanr

I have not decided about landing schedule yet..maybe end of this year or early next year.


seanr said:
HI V_i_r_u_s,

I will be landing in Canada on 1st October, what are your plans? Have you managed to find a job in Vancouver?
Thanks
 

v_i_r_u_s

Hero Member
May 9, 2013
712
76
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
1112
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
18-09-2014
File Transfer...
18-09-2014
Med's Request
02-03-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
25-10-2015
Hi Subash,

Good to see another Vancouver Settler :)

Subash said:
Hi,

Wonderful to see the creation of thread for Vancouver settlers. I am the one who is also scheduled to land on 23rd of August.
Hopefully many guys will participate here for your valuable views and comments related to settlement issues in Vancouver.

Please keep post something on the thread as this will be of big help for us for the settlement.
 

keypad

Hero Member
Sep 29, 2013
295
76
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
Add me in...
I am will be landing in 2 months.
 

ashishv

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
118
8
Visa Office......
New Delhi -> Colombo
NOC Code......
0121
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Dec 2014
AOR Received.
March 2015
Med's Request
May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
July 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 2016
v_i_r_u_s said:
Hi All,

I have opened this thread to make this a common platform for all who are going to settle in Vancouver and also those who have already landed / settled in Vancouver.

Please share all the useful info here related to the followings:

Settlement
Housing
Health care (MSP)
Transportation
Banking
child care / schooling
Community Centers
Education
Career
Driving license
Landing experience
Etc

Some of the useful links I found out are mentioned below:


Housing/Furniture/Cars/Jobs - http://vancouver.craigslist.ca , http://www.kijiji.ca/h-vancouver
Healthcare - http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents
Driving License - http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Pages/Default.aspx
Career - www.workbc.ca
Childcare Subsidy - http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/subsidy/index.htm?WT.svl=LeftNav

Already landed immigrants are welcome to provide their suggestions and thoughts to make this thread useful

Good Luck :)
Great to see the focused thread for Vancouver and thanks for sharing the links.
 

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
192
42
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
3112
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
I am planning to move to Vancouver next month and I am a bit confused on what documents I will need to get a BC driver's license.

I have a current West Australian license which was issued in 2011 and expires in January 2016. Can you please guide me on how I can swap it for a BC one? I know BC has a reciprocal license policy with Australia

The icbc website says I need a license abstract, which is not provided by West Australian Transport. Will my license and PP/COPR be sufficient for a new BC license.
 

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
2,947
197
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
v_i_r_u_s said:
Hi Seanr

I have not decided about landing schedule yet..maybe end of this year or early next year.
All the Best :)
 

mabmabs

Hero Member
Jun 20, 2014
639
26
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
3216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5 july 2013
AOR Received.
PER 4 Oct 2013
nanni_doc said:
I am planning to move to Vancouver next month and I am a bit confused on what documents I will need to get a BC driver's license.

I have a current West Australian license which was issued in 2011 and expires in January 2016. Can you please guide me on how I can swap it for a BC one? I know BC has a reciprocal license policy with Australia

The icbc website says I need a license abstract, which is not provided by West Australian Transport. Will my license and PP/COPR be sufficient for a new BC license.
For driving licence to be issued from ICBC Class-5, All you need is your previous original licence (atleast 2 year old). COPR and PP is sufficient as proof of identity but you need to provide your residential address. visit ICBC, take these documents, sit in written/theory test and once passed book for class 5 driving test..All the best !
 

arman79

Hero Member
Oct 30, 2009
416
27
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
3112
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Subash said:
Hi,

Wonderful to see the creation of thread for Vancouver settlers. I am the one who is also scheduled to land on 23rd of August.
Hopefully many guys will participate here for your valuable views and comments related to settlement issues in Vancouver.

Please keep post something on the thread as this will be of big help for us for the settlement.
I am in vancouver, if u have any queries, feel free to shoot me a message..Good Luck wd ur plans...
 

Subash

Hero Member
Jun 10, 2013
631
35
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Nomination.....
14-11-2014
File Transfer...
11th March 2015(2nd line on ecas)
Med's Request
28th March 2015
Med's Done....
01,April 2015
Passport Req..
7th May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
17th May 2015
arman79 said:
I am in vancouver, if u have any queries, feel free to shoot me a message..Good Luck wd ur plans...
Hi,Arman79

I am happy to see your helping attitude.Indeed,you made me feel comfortable to talk to you on the matter.
Currently,I am working for the final preparation and will write about more information I need.

Thank you very much.
 

arman79

Hero Member
Oct 30, 2009
416
27
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
3112
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
Subash said:
Hi,Arman79

I am happy to see your helping attitude.Indeed,you made me feel comfortable to talk to you on the matter.
Currently,I am working for the final preparation and will write about more information I need.

Thank you very much.
Sure...Good Luck with ur plans...

Just piece of advise....declare honestly about everythin and anything u bring it up (even more than 10,000 CAD)..there are no taxes if u r bringing more than 10,000 CAD.. just bring recepts, previous bank statements (source of income) proving legitimate money, money exchange recepts (all in hands)...
Bring couple of ur original educational transcripts in sealed enevelop (if u want to pursue further studies)
Bring original driving license (2 yrs old )
If u r landing for permanent...bring all money that u cud...this is expensive city...
For housing, juz be careful and dont rely blindly on website of c.r.i.a.g.l.i.st .c.o.m (there are many scams noticed recently where ppl lost their money)...
anyways let me know, if any other questions u ve in ur mind...
Regards
 

v_i_r_u_s

Hero Member
May 9, 2013
712
76
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
1112
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
18-09-2014
File Transfer...
18-09-2014
Med's Request
02-03-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
25-10-2015
Thanks Arman79 for your valuable advice.

Could you provide a estimated monthly expenditure idea if I plan to settle around Burnaby/New Westminister.

I also heard about scam of craiglist, in that case what would be your suggestion to chose housing?

arman79 said:
Sure...Good Luck with ur plans...

Just piece of advise....declare honestly about everythin and anything u bring it up (even more than 10,000 CAD)..there are no taxes if u r bringing more than 10,000 CAD.. just bring recepts, previous bank statements (source of income) proving legitimate money, money exchange recepts (all in hands)...
Bring couple of ur original educational transcripts in sealed enevelop (if u want to pursue further studies)
Bring original driving license (2 yrs old )
If u r landing for permanent...bring all money that u cud...this is expensive city...
For housing, juz be careful and dont rely blindly on website of c.r.i.a.g.l.i.st .c.o.m (there are many scams noticed recently where ppl lost their money)...
anyways let me know, if any other questions u ve in ur mind...
Regards
 

Subash

Hero Member
Jun 10, 2013
631
35
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Nomination.....
14-11-2014
File Transfer...
11th March 2015(2nd line on ecas)
Med's Request
28th March 2015
Med's Done....
01,April 2015
Passport Req..
7th May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
17th May 2015
arman79 said:
Sure...Good Luck with ur plans...

Just piece of advise....declare honestly about everythin and anything u bring it up (even more than 10,000 CAD)..there are no taxes if u r bringing more than 10,000 CAD.. just bring recepts, previous bank statements (source of income) proving legitimate money, money exchange recepts (all in hands)...
Bring couple of ur original educational transcripts in sealed enevelop (if u want to pursue further studies)
Bring original driving license (2 yrs old )
If u r landing for permanent...bring all money that u cud...this is expensive city...
For housing, juz be careful and dont rely blindly on website of c.r.i.a.g.l.i.st .c.o.m (there are many scams noticed recently where ppl lost their money)...
anyways let me know, if any other questions u ve in ur mind...
Regards
Great information.A friend of my spouse who is a Canadian citizen an inhabitant of north Vancouver has taken responsibility of finding one bedded apartment for us. Hope we will get that within reasonable price. One thing ,I have planned to make an excel sheet for the goods I am bringing with.
Is that okay? What does B4 and B4A form mean?