+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Police Clearance: FBI Processing Times

Tirilita

Sep 5, 2017
Approx how long does the whole eDo process take? 2 weeks from the day you mail it?
In my first attempt I did the eDO and sent the mailing tracking information (they had already received my fingerprints since I sent them before we could use eDO). It took them 2 days to reply by email with an official letter from FBI saying my fingerprints were illegible. So I redid eDO last Friday and got new fingerprints at the local police office and sent them by mail from Canada using Xpresspost- USA and it has taken 3 days to arrive at the FBI. I sent them the tracking info as soon as I knew the fingerprints had arrived and I am hoping to get a response in a couple of days this time again but I’ll let you know how long it takes...

JaiCanada

Feb 9, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Med's Done....
12-06-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2018
LANDED..........
02-11-2018
Got my FBI PCC.

My fingerprint cards were delivered to the Clarksburg WV address first week of December 2017. Based on the current processing times, I was expecting mine to arrive by mid or end of March 2018. But I just thought of trying the eDO process, and I'm glad I tried! Got my PCC in less than 48 hrs!

Here's detailed info about how the process was for me:

27 Feb, ~11:30 am
I paid the eDO fees here https://www.edo.cjis.gov and forwarded the payment confirmation email as per instructions here [at this point the status was 'Insufficient Documentation']​

28 Feb, ~8:30 am
I got a response from FBI that they have forwarded my info to the processing center [status was 'Insufficient Documentation']​

28 Feb, ~2:00 pm
Got email: "Your fingerprint card has been received for your Identity History Summary Request and will be processed in the date order in which it was received." [status changed to IN PROGRESS]​

28 Feb, ~5:00 pm
Electronic version available. Downloaded it. [status changed to RESPONSE WAITING]​

Expecting mailed copy to arrive in a few days.

If anyone needs a format for forwarding the email, here's the content of email I forwarded:

Dear Officer:

I'm forwarding the eDO confirmation email and details of original request that was delivered to FBI on <date it was delivered>

Mailing address: <I added my Home Address Here>
Telephone number: <Your Phone number here>
Name of carrier service: <Carrier through which you sent your fingerprint cards, mine was USPS>
Carrier tracking number for original request: <Package Tracking Number>

Please let me know if any other information is required to process the request.

Thanks,
My Name
I'm not a resident or a citizen on the US. Mailed documents from US. Residing in the US.

You check the status, by clicking the link that you received in the email when you started the eDO process. It helps to bookmark the link in the browser, to check it often.

The off by 1 date of birth bug seems to be fixed, and I had no issues in data entry (as noted in earlier discussions in this thread).

Also note:
If you are fingerprinting on the card yourself, it helps to send multiple cards. I got mine done at a professional fingerprinting center at NYC, and first set of prints weren't perfect, so the associate told me to get an another one, and send both cards, so that if one fails, FBI will check with the other one. (She also got to charge me $10 extra for that). If you think first set of fingerprints may not be perfect, just send an another one in the same packet that you are mailing to the FBI.

Hope all this info helps anyone looking to go through the eDO process, either with a new application or to convert applications sent after November 1, 2017.

Many thanks to all those who provided info in this thread. Helped me a lot!

Anas naeem

Feb 28, 2018
Got my FBI PCC.

My fingerprint cards were delivered to the Clarksburg WV address first week of December 2017. Based on the current processing times, I was expecting mine to arrive by mid or end of March 2018. But I just thought of trying the eDO process, and I'm glad I tried! Got my PCC in less than 48 hrs!

Here's detailed info about how the process was for me:

27 Feb, ~11:30 am
I paid the eDO fees here https://www.edo.cjis.gov and forwarded the payment confirmation email as per instructions here [at this point the status was 'Insufficient Documentation']​

28 Feb, ~8:30 am
I got a response from FBI that they have forwarded my info to the processing center [status was 'Insufficient Documentation']​

28 Feb, ~2:00 pm
Got email: "Your fingerprint card has been received for your Identity History Summary Request and will be processed in the date order in which it was received." [status changed to IN PROGRESS]​

28 Feb, ~5:00 pm
Electronic version available. Downloaded it. [status changed to RESPONSE WAITING]​

Expecting mailed copy to arrive in a few days.

If anyone needs a format for forwarding the email, here's the content of email I forwarded:

I'm not a resident or a citizen on the US. Mailed documents from US. Residing in the US.

You check the status, by clicking the link that you received in the email when you started the eDO process. It helps to bookmark the link in the browser, to check it often.

The off by 1 date of birth bug seems to be fixed, and I had no issues in data entry (as noted in earlier discussions in this thread).

Also note:
If you are fingerprinting on the card yourself, it helps to send multiple cards. I got mine done at a professional fingerprinting center at NYC, and first set of prints weren't perfect, so the associate told me to get an another one, and send both cards, so that if one fails, FBI will check with the other one. (She also got to charge me $10 extra for that). If you think first set of fingerprints may not be perfect, just send an another one in the same packet that you are mailing to the FBI.

Hope all this info helps anyone looking to go through the eDO process, either with a new application or to convert applications sent after November 1, 2017.

Many thanks to all those who provided info in this thread. Helped me a lot!

Any ideas that how much time will CIC will take for further processing after receiving FBI form?

Tirilita

Sep 5, 2017
Any ideas that how much time will CIC will take for further processing after receiving FBI form?
Help please!
I just received an email from the FBI saying “the quality of the characteristics is too low to be used” this is the second time they said that after sending them 3 different sets of fingerprints. I called the FBI and they said I have to send another set of fingerprints again and if I get another rejection they’ll send a letter stating that my fingerprints are not readable. I am so frustrated I have my fingerprints done at the police office here in Canada and they keep saying to me that they don’t see any problem with my fingerprints but apparently they are not good enough for the FBI. I have no idea what to do and what’s wrong with my fingers!!! Anyone has any ideas for me?

Anas naeem

Feb 28, 2018
Help please!
I just received an email from the FBI saying “the quality of the characteristics is too low to be used” this is the second time they said that after sending them 3 different sets of fingerprints. I called the FBI and they said I have to send another set of fingerprints again and if I get another rejection they’ll send a letter stating that my fingerprints are not readable. I am so frustrated I have my fingerprints done at the police office here in Canada and they keep saying to me that they don’t see any problem with my fingerprints but apparently they are not good enough for the FBI. I have no idea what to do and what’s wrong with my fingers!!! Anyone has any ideas for me?
ok so what i did for the finger print is that i went to an office that is specialzed to do finger prints for any purpose. you can search on google " fbi clearance finger print near me" so they will take your prints on computer using a biometric machine and then they will print it

Tirilita

Sep 5, 2017
ok so what i did for the finger print is that i went to an office that is specialzed to do finger prints for any purpose. you can search on google " fbi clearance finger print near me" so they will take your prints on computer using a biometric machine and then they will print it
Thanks for your answer! So did they print it directly onto the fingerprints form (FD-258)? They told me at the police office that they couldn’t do that. Did you do it in Canada as well? Do you mind telling me the name of the office you went to? Thanks again!!!

anujcuce

Mar 1, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
23-12-2019
AOR Received.
11-01-2020
File Transfer...
30-01-2020
Med's Request
27-01-2020
Med's Done....
02-02-2020
I went to the website and finished the application, but I am not able to access the payment page, it gives an error
Can’t connect securely to this page
This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.
Try this:
Go back to the last page

Anybody else getting this error recently?

JaiCanada

Feb 9, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Med's Done....
12-06-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2018
LANDED..........
02-11-2018
No idea yet. I'm yet to get my WES application results back, and then apply (since I'm applying through Express Entry)

Anas naeem

Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for your answer! So did they print it directly onto the fingerprints form (FD-258)? They told me at the police office that they couldn’t do that. Did you do it in Canada as well? Do you mind telling me the name of the office you went to? Thanks again!!!
Where are you located cuz i went to etobicoke for finger prints

Tirilita

Sep 5, 2017
Where are you located cuz i went to etobicoke for finger prints
I am close to Winnipeg. Did they print the fingerprints directly onto the FBI form or in a separate paper? I am going to the police office again today and I am going to explain to them what you told me... I hope it works this time! If it doesn’t work I’ll try to look for one of those companies.

JaiCanada

Feb 9, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Med's Done....
12-06-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2018
LANDED..........
02-11-2018
I got mine done in New York City. In New Jersey, called my local police office, and they said they dont do fingerprints.

At the NYC center they charge $35 for first set of prints and $10 for every additional. She took first set of my fingerprints on FD-258, and then told me that a few of them may not be good enough, and suggested I get an another one done, and send both of them in case one or more prints in each set is not legible.

Just in case you did it yourself, or got it done by someone who doesn't know the technique of fingerprinting, I'd suggest you get it done by a professional.

on FD-258, the individual finger prints (taken on the first two rows) are rolled fingerprints, where you roll each inked finger from left to right. The bottom row is the one where you take all fingers simultaneously (usually prints from more than half the finger).

Another thing I noticed was the technician asked me not to press too hard while taking the fingerprint. That was messing it up.

Hope this info helps!

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
I lived for more than 6 months in 6 different countries and yes they asked me to send them a police clearance from all of them. I received them all in less than 2 weeks except for USA...that took forever before eDO.
Hi yes sorry, he was answering someone who was asking if they need a Police cert for their time in Canada. I believe you do not. Can anyone clarify?

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and had a question on the documents to be send for fib clearance. I am including the finger printing card, application form and $ 18 cashiers check. But there is a reference in the FBI checklist to include information on email and phone number. Is this really needed? If so then wanted to check what is the best way to include this info. Should i just print this information on a paper and include in the application or is there any particular format for this?