Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
We used the old kit with the medical submitted upfront.Our background check started within about a week of the file transfer. That was in March. We got DM the beginning of June.

I hope ours goes to in process soon. We got transferred may 24 and passed meds on June 15

VMDATTA

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa or Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-03-2017
File Transfer...
19-04-2017
Med's Request
24/05/2017
Med's Done....
25/05/2017
Interview........
none
I have a question regarding the time frame of PR status for a spouse. I posted this in the February outland thread but no response so far.

My husband's (US citizen) application was submitted Feb 23 and we received Sponsorship approval on March 10 and AOR 1 March 8. Schedule A and PCC were submitted and our application was transferred to the visa office in Ottawa on Apr 19. A medical was requested on May 24 and we got and e-medical done on May 25. After the medical exam has been done, how long does it take to get the PR status? Does anyone have a general idea? Furthermore, unless specifically asked for additional information or an interview, is the medical exam the last task in this immigration process?

I would really appreciate any insight on this. Thank you in advance for your time.
V Datta

C

Classic Chucks

I have a question regarding the time frame of PR status for a spouse. I posted this in the February outland thread but no response so far.

My husband's (US citizen) application was submitted Feb 23 and we received Sponsorship approval on March 10 and AOR 1 March 8. Schedule A and PCC were submitted and our application was transferred to the visa office in Ottawa on Apr 19. A medical was requested on May 24 and we got and e-medical done on May 25. After the medical exam has been done, how long does it take to get the PR status? Does anyone have a general idea? Furthermore, unless specifically asked for additional information or an interview, is the medical exam the last task in this immigration process?

I would really appreciate any insight on this. Thank you in advance for your time.
V Datta
What does it say on your ECAS or MYCIC/GCKEY?

VMDATTA

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa or Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-03-2017
File Transfer...
19-04-2017
Med's Request
24/05/2017
Med's Done....
25/05/2017
Interview........
none
Permanent Residence
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on February 23, 2017.
  2. We started processing your application on May 2, 2017.
  3. We sent you correspondence on March 14, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  4. Medical results have been received.

C

Classic Chucks

Permanent Residence
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on February 23, 2017.
  2. We started processing your application on May 2, 2017.
  3. We sent you correspondence on March 14, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  4. Medical results have been received.
You should be hearing something next week. Keep an eye on your email/spam. Did your background check go in process already -- GCKEY?

VMDATTA

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa or Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-03-2017
File Transfer...
19-04-2017
Med's Request
24/05/2017
Med's Done....
25/05/2017
Interview........
none
cic account:
Application status - We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need morei nformation.
Review of eligibility - We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Medical exam - You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents - We do not need additional documents.
Interview - You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.
Final decision - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

C

Classic Chucks

cic account:
Application status - We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need morei nformation.
Review of eligibility - We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Medical exam - You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents - We do not need additional documents.
Interview - You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.
Final decision - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
I see. Your BG check isn't in progress yet. Although sometimes, PPR can be sent without BG going IP. Yeah, so just keep an eye on both accounts and always check your email. Should be over soon.

To answer your first post, Medical isn't the last task. The last task would be background check.

VMDATTA

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa or Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-03-2017
File Transfer...
19-04-2017
Med's Request
24/05/2017
Med's Done....
25/05/2017
Interview........
none
I see. Your BG check isn't in progress yet. Although sometimes, PPR can be sent without BG going IP. Yeah, so just keep an eye on both accounts and always check your email. Should be over soon.

To answer your first post, Medical isn't the last task. The last task would be background check.
\

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated!

Cal978

Apr 11, 2016
Anyone successful getting passport photos done at Walgreens or CVS with the proper specifications (2 inches wide X 2- 3/4 inches long)?
If you can afford to find a professional photographer that has experience with immigration photos and bring in the instruction page, take your ruler to make sure they are correct, last year the instructions were to have the professional photographer put a stamp on the back of the photos.

Reactions: canadiantica15

Cal978

Apr 11, 2016
My situation may have changed and looking for guidance:

I am American, been in Canada 5 months as a tourist, getting married to a Canadian next month. We were originally planning to apply for PR via spousal sponsorship right after that. I am now wondering if I need to do this, the reason being that we are planning to move to the US sometime late next year.

I read a lot on another thread about apps getting rejected if you don't seem to really have intent to stay here permanently. We really wanted to live in both- a couple years here, couple years or so in the US, and maybe back again. But I'd think that'd be hard to show.

We'd rather put the time & money towards my partner's US paperwork if we don't actually need PR for me (we assumed we did in order for me to stay), but this is dependent on visa extensions (questions below).

My questions:

I am applying for a one year visa extension right now since mine runs out days before our wedding next month. I assumed that this extension PLUS proof of having submitted a PR app would be enough to get me in and out of the border over the next year (leaving for honeymoon, travel, etc). This is because I know I lose Implied Status for my PR app once I leave the country, so the visa is necessary.

1) Does anyone have experience with not only staying here on such a long visa extension but coming & going with ONLY a visa extension and no proof of a submitted PR app? I could always say we are working on it, but is that enough? Is that even necessary?

2) I understand that a first extension is very common and easy for Americans to get, even for a year. Does anyone have experience with a second extension for at least a few months? The only way this plan of not applying for PR would work is if I could get a second extension to carry me through our time til moving late next year.

I reallllly appreciate the help. We've been working on all of this for weeks, but if we can skip PR for me and start instead on PR for her (the other way) it would save so much time & money!

[I edited this after finding out from another member that time w/ my Canadian spouse spent outside Canada DOES count towards my RO, which was another issue, now solved.]

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
You should be hearing something next week. Keep an eye on your email/spam. Did your background check go in process already -- GCKEY?
Should I be expecting to hear something soon as well? I got transferred may 24 and passed meds on June 15! Would be nice to hear something soon!!

Last edited:

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
Should I be expecting to hear something soon as well? I got transferred may 24 and passed meds on June 25! Would be nice to hear something soon!!
Is your background check in progress?

No one can really say for sure what's going to happen with someone's timeline. Some people get final decision soon after the background check starts. For other people, it takes longer. We waited two and a half months from background check in progress to decision made. You can only be patient and hope everything goes smoothly.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Is your background check in progress?

No one can really say for sure what's going to happen with someone's timeline. Some people get final decision soon after the background check starts. For other people, it takes longer. We waited two and a half months from background check in progress to decision made. You can only be patient and hope everything goes smoothly.

Not yet! I'm hoping soon. How long after meds/file transfer does background check go to in progress?

C

Classic Chucks

Should I be expecting to hear something soon as well? I got transferred may 24 and passed meds on June 15! Would be nice to hear something soon!!
Probably in July? Should be at least 4 months from the day you submitted before you can expect PPR. But you'll never know. Could be earlier.