Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
danawhitaker said:
There was another one within the past month or so that mentioned having their file transferred to New York from Ottawa, which was also odd. I don't remember any follow-up on that from the OP but I could have missed it.
yes, i remember this too. it will be interesting to follow these cases, to see if they are indeed interviews, related to US residency (not citizenship) or something else.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
are you a canadian citizen or PR? Are you currently living in Canada? Are there any red flags that may have triggered an interview? How old are both of you (sometimes younger couples get tagged for interviews - not always though)?

I am a Canadian PR. Received my PR in 2014. I am 31 and my wife is 29. I am currently living in Canada. For the past 6 to 8 months, I have been in USA for a few months (multiple times) visiting my wife . I am a virtual employee and my employer lets me work outside Canada ( USA only ) if I request to. Maybe the fact that I was out for the country for the past few months might have triggered a ref flag. not sure

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mruhomau said:
I am a Canadian PR. Received my PR in 2014. I am 31 and my wife is 29. I am currently living in Canada. For the past 6 to 8 months, I have been in USA for a few months (multiple times) visiting my wife . I am a virtual employee and my employer lets me work outside Canada ( USA only ) if I request to. Maybe the fact that I was out for the country for the past few months might have triggered a ref flag. not sure
yes, most likely, as it is required for PRs to be maintaining residence in Canada throughout the entire application process. Short trips are fine, but longer periods outside of canada risks your "residency" status. I'd recommend getting a letter from your employer noting you can work remotely while visiting your spouse. What proof of residency did you submit besides a T4?

I'm surprised this didn't come up during sponsor eligibility though, so i wonder if anything else is triggering the transfer. On the other hand, perhaps this wasn't a concern during sponsor approval, and the documents your wife sent to prove your residency is what triggered the transfer. Definitely order the GCMS notes on the file to see what's up.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, most likely, as it is required for PRs to be maintaining residence in Canada throughout the entire application process. Short trips are fine, but longer periods outside of canada risks your "residency" status. I'd recommend getting a letter from your employer noting you can work remotely while visiting your spouse. What proof of residency did you submit besides a T4?

I'm surprised this didn't come up during sponsor eligibility though, so i wonder if anything else is triggering the transfer. On the other hand, perhaps this wasn't a concern during sponsor approval, and the documents your wife sent to prove your residency is what triggered the transfer. Definitely order the GCMS notes on the file to see what's up.

thank you for the useful info. The longest period I was outside Canada was 3 months and this was before I submitted the spousal sponsorship application. I was in the USA from July to September 2016. I submitted the application on October 2016. Then I was in the USA for 3 to 4 weeks in December ( this is when they requested proof from my wife that they want supporting documentations that I am a resident of Canada).

I will do the GCMS. May I know what this is and how do I do it ? I plan on doing it today. thank you

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mruhomau said:
thank you for the useful info. The longest period I was outside Canada was 3 months and this was before I submitted the spousal sponsorship application. I was in the USA from July to September 2016. I submitted the application on October 2016. Then I was in the USA for 3 to 4 weeks in December ( this is when they requested proof from my wife that they want supporting documentations that I am a resident of Canada).

I will do the GCMS. May I know what this is and how do I do it ? I plan on doing it today. thank you
It's the Global Case Management System notes for the file. They provide status updates for each part of the application process. Notes from the visa officer about why the file is being transferred may be in there. I don't have the link for it. Perhaps someone will come by to post it. I'm sure you can find it by googling GCMS + Canada.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
mruhomau said:

Forgot to mention. proofs other than T4, I provided bank statements, credit card statements, phone bills, car rental bills, last 6 months pay from my company etc

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mruhomau said:
Forgot to mention. proofs other than T4, I provided bank statements, credit card statements, phone bills, car rental bills, last 6 months pay from my company etc
that could be part of it. For proof of residency, they are looking for an apartment lease/house mortgage, paystubs, canadian driver's license, canadian healthcard, etc - anything that shows your primary residence and livelihood is in Canada. The proofs you submitted sound more like relationship proofs, they are not proofs your permanent residence is in Canada. People who don't live in canada can have bank accounts, credit cards and phones in canada and are more likely to rent cars to get by while there - I can see how IRCC wouldn't consider these items proof of residency in canada and I suspect this is your issue. You will want to gather the proofs that show you are indeed living in canada.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
that could be part of it. For proof of residency, they are looking for an apartment lease/house mortgage, paystubs, canadian driver's license, canadian healthcard, etc - anything that shows your primary residence and livelihood is in Canada. The proofs you submitted sound more like relationship proofs, they are not proofs your permanent residence is in Canada. People who don't live in canada can have bank accounts, credit cards and phones in canada and are more likely to rent cars to get by while there - I can see how IRCC wouldn't consider these items proof of residency in canada and I suspect this is your issue. You will want to gather the proofs that show you are indeed living in canada.
Ah ok I see. Ill do the online request to access the notes regarding the application. If required, then we will provide more details. I actually provided my zipcar account membership thinking that would provide proof. I didn't think of the fact that car rentals could actually "prove" the contrary.

thanks for the useful info / tips.

Juniorrlopez

Sep 9, 2016
Thunder Bay, ON
App. Filed.......
Sept 8 2016
AOR Received.
Oct 13 2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
DM - 03/10/2017 Passport Email - 03/18/2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 03/24/2017
LANDED..........
03/30/2017 by land
Hello all, just providing notice that my ECAS changed to decision made today! Hopefully, a happy one lol.

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
My wife has been approved as a Sponsor as of today! So far so good.

The letter they sent my wife says that I would be sent correspondence and be asked to upload my background check, but I sent it and my police report in because I got it before the new application package.

I also have not received such correspondence from them. Does anyone have a contact number I can use to call the CIC and ask them if I need to submit another IMM5669 and police report?

Reichel

Nov 16, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
10-03-2017
AOR1 received today, account linked. Anybody here had an idea whats the timeline for US applicants. Is it ok to cross the border even when application is in process?

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
Reichel said:
AOR1 received today, account linked. Anybody here had an idea whats the timeline for US applicants. Is it ok to cross the border even when application is in process?
4-6 months, give or take. Some have been faster, a few slower, but on average it's been hovering around that. Mine was a little over five months from start to finish with no requests for documents. It's hard to say with certainty what will happen with the new application kits, but hopefully it will stay in a similar range.

It's perfectly fine to cross the border while the application is in process. I came into Canada twice before I had received the COPR (once prior to getting approval and the PPR e-mail, once after). I visited once right before we mailed the application off and the agent knew my intent to file an application. I also visited right before we got married (our wedding was in Ontario) and the agent knew that we were going to be applying down the road after we'd received our marriage certificate. I had return tickets for all visits but the one after I received the PPR e-mail, because we were going to be driving back to move my stuff. This was (naturally) the only time I was asked if I had a return ticket. I explained why I didn't and the agent was satisfied.

awahidi

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Usa
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
File Transfer...
06-06-2017
Hello guys, I just finished my application but I have paid 1590 $ CAD which is extra. Could this thing affect a delay in my application. Do I have to send a letter stating that I paid extra fees by mistake or no. And I need to know if they will automatically send the difference back or do I have to email them since they stated that. How do I ask for a refund if I paid my fees online or at a bank in Canada?
If you paid online or with a fee receipt form (IMM 5401), ask for a refund by emailing us at IPRMS-SIGPR@cic.gc.ca

In your email, include:

your name
your current address
a scanned copy of the receipt or the receipt number
the date of your payment
the amount you paid
the reason you want a refund
If you don’t have the receipt number, include the:

first and last four numbers of the credit card used for payment
card expiration date
cardholder’s name
We may ask you for a copy of your credit card statement.

If you used a credit card or a prepaid card to pay, we will issue a refund to the same card. Keep it until the refund is complete to prevent delays. If your card is expired, we will issue a cheque instead.

If you paid using a fee receipt form (IMM 5401) or an Interac debit card, we will also issue a cheque.
Thank you

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
09-12-2016 (Provided 17-12-2016)
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
I overpaid as well but didn't notify them. They sent me a refund automatically and it didn't delay processing at all.