Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
CDNPR2014 said:
right, as long as you tick the "goods to follow" box on the form , then the stuff listed on the form does not need to be physically present at landing. they will process the paperwork, and you'll be able to declare those items duty free when you bring them in later. there is no time limit for bringing in "goods to follow" items.
Hey, I read one of your earlier posts saying that importing your car is a separate process, right? So even if it's declared on the paperwork as "goods to follow", I'd have to go through the importing process also, and pay those fees? We're debating on whether to buy a car here or in Canada. We think if we get it here, there will be import fees (and the whole importing process that we're ignorant to), as well as mechanic fees to bring it up to Canadian regulations. However, we thought cars would probably be cheaper here.

Also, we live near the border, in Washington and plan to move to Ontario. Can we "land" over here? And is there a deadline when we need to move, or do we just need to move within a reasonable timeline? For example, I expect to get COPR end of this month or next, and I assume our deadline will be Nov. 10 (date of my medical exam). Could we land in April and move in December?

jennybenny

Sep 15, 2016
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2016, re-file 21-10-2016
AOR Received.
14-7-2016
Med's Done....
up front
Passport Req..
21-2-2017
LANDED..........
7-3-2017
Staunts2015 said:
Hey, I read one of your earlier posts saying that importing your car is a separate process, right? So even if it's declared on the paperwork as "goods to follow", I'd have to go through the importing process also, and pay those fees? We're debating on whether to buy a car here or in Canada. We think if we get it here, there will be import fees (and the whole importing process that we're ignorant to), as well as mechanic fees to bring it up to Canadian regulations. However, we thought cars would probably be cheaper here.

Also, we live near the border, in Washington and plan to move to Ontario. Can we "land" over here? And is there a deadline when we need to move, or do we just need to move within a reasonable timeline? For example, I expect to get COPR end of this month or next, and I assume our deadline will be Nov. 10 (date of my medical exam). Could we land in April and move in December?
I know for importing cars there is a process, there's a page for it that I saw somewhere...I don't remember off the top of my head but it was easy to find on google and it had a search function for your make/model of car so you can see what importing it will be like. The car I had in California wasn't eligible to be imported so I am stuck buying one here in BC.

I believe you can land at any border! I am landing at Peace Arch when I get my COPR.

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!
We got an approval email today!!!! Now awaiting instructions from them about sending the CoPR!!!

Congrats to all others getting good news lately!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Staunts2015 said:

hi, declaring a car on the declaration form and importing it are 2 separate things. listing the car on the declaration form as a "goods to follow" simply exempts you from neeing to pay duty on the car when importing. you will still need to go through the entire export/import process. the fees for actually importing the car are quite minimal. the RIV import fee is just over $200, then you need to pay for the RIV inspection, provincial inspection and any modifications needed on the car. most cars only need the daytime running lights turned on for the modifications. i spent maybe $600 TOTAL for the whole process, if even that. this includes everything i mentioned above (it only cost $150 for my daytime running lights). the process is relatively easy; it just includes a lot of little steps to complete. it's definitely going to be cheaper to import the car than buying another in canada. a car will not necessarily be cheaper to buy in canada. the tax rate and the exchange rate need to be considered.

yes, you can land at any land border. as long as you land by the date listed on the COPR, there is no issue landing then permanently moving later.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
hi, declaring a car on the declaration form and importing it are 2 separate things. listing the car on the declaration form as a "goods to follow" simply exempts you from neeing to pay duty on the car when importing. you will still need to go through the entire export/import process. the fees for actually importing the car are quite minimal. the RIV import fee is just over $200, then you need to pay for the RIV inspection, provincial inspection and any modifications needed on the car. most cars only need the daytime running lights turned on for the modifications. i spent maybe $600 TOTAL for the whole process, if even that. this includes everything i mentioned above (it only cost $150 for my daytime running lights). it;s definitely going to be cheaper to import the car than buying another in canada. it's just a lot of little steps to complete.

yes, you can land at any land border. as long as you land by the date listed on the COPR, there is no issue landing then permanently moving later.
Car must be paid off in full though. Correct?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
barch88 said:
Car must be paid off in full though. Correct?
yes, correct. the person importing must have full ownership and title of the car.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, correct. the person importing must have full ownership and title of the car.
I know the fees themselves will be cheaper than buying a car, but we will be buying another car, regardless. It's just a matter of buying it in US or Canada. But it seems like the process isn't going to be too bad, and the fees are almost negligible, comparing the cost of a car. When you say full ownership, does this include buying a car via a loan? Or would all the loan payments need to be made before importing? If so, I wouldn't be able to buy a car in the US and have all the payments made by the time I move.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
jennybenny said:
I know for importing cars there is a process, there's a page for it that I saw somewhere...I don't remember off the top of my head but it was easy to find on google and it had a search function for your make/model of car so you can see what importing it will be like. The car I had in California wasn't eligible to be imported so I am stuck buying one here in BC.

I believe you can land at any border! I am landing at Peace Arch when I get my COPR.
Is it this site? http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
What made it ineligible?

ScaMD

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/10/16
AOR Received.
20/10/16
File Transfer...
24/10/16
Med's Done....
27/06/16 DM: 06/02/17
Passport Req..
16/03/17
To anyone who has received DM on Ecas, do you still only have 3 lines showing there? Or does another add at some point?

acwikla4769

Star Member
Oct 8, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2016
Doc's Request.
21-10-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1- 14-11-2016
File Transfer...
11-01-2017
Med's Request
PASSED
Med's Done....
Upfront 11-10-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2-21-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Copr recieved 3/13/2017
LANDED..........
3/23/2017
ScaMD said:
To anyone who has received DM on Ecas, do you still only have 3 lines showing there? Or does another add at some point?
I still have 3 and ours is closed and approved

jennybenny

Sep 15, 2016
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2016, re-file 21-10-2016
AOR Received.
14-7-2016
Med's Done....
up front
Passport Req..
21-2-2017
LANDED..........
7-3-2017
acwikla4769 said:
I still have 3 and ours is closed and approved
Same!

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
jennybenny said:
Oh great! Next week looks realistic for me then. Yay!

Also, I know you have to declare your items but like... all of my stuff is already in Canada as I bought it when I was living here as a student and on my PGWP. Am I going to have to declare that stuff? I honestly can't remember what I brought with me as a student like 5 years ago...
Nope. They didn't ask once. They knew I was visitor status on an extension, so I think she assumed it was all up here already.

Either that, or she could pull up the B4 from last summer when I brought a bunch of stuff up from storage, and the CBSA agent processed it as "settling"... :eek:

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
ScaMD said:
I still only see three lines.

As an update, we landed tonight. Congrats to the new DMs/COPR arrivals I missed while I was moving everything. :)

sirbill

Sep 6, 2016
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2017
AOR Received.
07-02-2017
File Transfer...
10-02-2017
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
26-11-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-03-2017 (mailed 24-03)
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2017
LANDED..........
eta 17-07-2017
no, you only declare items you are bringing with you or intend to bring later. if your stuff is already in canada, then you don't need to declare it.
What about goods that were shipped and are in Canada in a bonded warehouse for my signature to release?