Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
Joyce_tosf said:
My husband's background check changed to "In Progress" on January 18th and he has yet to get DM. I was hoping to by now, but I know lots of others were waiting since before December. HOWEVER, my husband did have a juvenile record (which we included court documents to prove the charges were dismissed) so I assume that might cause a delay. Oh and we both have Nexus.
No NEXUS here. Background check started around the same time as you guys. Was hoping also to see something this morning since a lot (but not all) of the DMs seem to come on Thursdays/Fridays from Ottawa. Some were coming over the weekend though around the 14th-15th of January, so still not giving up hope that it might be within the next few days.

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
09-12-2016 (Provided 17-12-2016)
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
danawhitaker said:
No NEXUS here. Background check started around the same time as you guys. Was hoping also to see something this morning since a lot (but not all) of the DMs seem to come on Thursdays/Fridays from Ottawa. Some were coming over the weekend though around the 14th-15th of January, so still not giving up hope that it might be within the next few days.
Well that's good news, I was going to give up hope...till Monday! haha Hoping we hear something soon! :)

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
Crossposted from August 2016 Outland thread:

Well, some good news...

Received my GCMS notes requested back on Jan 3. They were generated Jan 12. Last entry is on Jan 11. Notes show it's gone up for officer review on that day. Whoever did eligibility review states they're satisfied it's a genuine relationship. My original FBI report shows an arrest, but it was a mistake and was expunged. I sent them a new copy of my FBI report showing that it's clear now, but there's plenty of notes about it. At least I know they received the new one.

Since then, background check went "In Progress", so the officer review must have gone OK? Here's hoping the FBI report stuff doesn't cause a hangup.

I have an alert tone on my iPhone for CIC email. Got all excited that I had the DM email, until I started reading it further. Oh well. My wife says it was a dress rehersal for the real thing. Hopefully I'll see that soon?

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
Did you guys that have Nexus send in a copy of it??

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
MasterDen said:
No it's unrelated to any of the documents for spousal sponsorship.

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
09-12-2016 (Provided 17-12-2016)
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
MasterDen said:
I sent a copy of mine even though it wasn't necessary and wouldn't be asked for. I guess I was hoping it would help speed up the background check process haha

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
Just to give people the heads up...I travel down to the USA today to pick up my mail with my American hubby that has a Canadian PR....when we were coming back into Canada, I, who is a Nexus holder had to prove I was Canadian before they would let me in....

hmks

Sep 8, 2015
So my husband's sponsorship of me was approved in March and my file was forwarded to Ottawa. I paid the final fees sometime in October and was asked to provide one additional background check which I submitted via email December 2. How long should I expect processing to take until I receive my documents? My Canadian citizen husband and children are planning to move mid-March. If I don't have my PR by then, I know I can go as a visitor but I cannot cross with them at the border? Is that correct? Could I cross later the same day separately or should I use a different border crossing, wait a day, etc? What's the best way to handle this situation? Thank you so much for any advice, replies.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
hmks said:
So my husband's sponsorship of me was approved in March and my file was forwarded to Ottawa. I paid the final fees sometime in October and was asked to provide one additional background check which I submitted via email December 2. How long should I expect processing to take until I receive my documents? My Canadian citizen husband and children are planning to move mid-March. If I don't have my PR by then, I know I can go as a visitor but I cannot cross with them at the border? Is that correct? Could I cross later the same day separately or should I use a different border crossing, wait a day, etc? What's the best way to handle this situation? Thank you so much for any advice, replies.
I wouldn't want to hazard too much of a guess as to how much longer of a wait you have, but I think you have a reasonable chance of DM by mid-March.

You can cross the border at the same time with your husband and children. I don't know where you found information that says you can't cross with them, but it's not correct. My wife and I have crossed together several times in both directions over the past year. Unless there's something in your background check that's causing CBSA a concern, you shouldn't have any big problems. You might be pulled into secondary, so have your husband's sponsor approval letter, as well as any other correspondence you've received from CIC. If asked, explain that you know you're just visiting, and you understand that you'll have to go back to the US if you don't have PR. In most cases, CBSA merely wants to see that you understand the rules, and you're not trying to go around them.

Unless you get an agent having a bad day, but that's a whole different story... :eek:

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
MasterDen said:
Having a NEXUS card isn't that big of a deal to CIC. There's some data that suggests having applied for a NEXUS card pre-loads your background information into the database that CIC uses when processing your background check. If so, it would shorten the time needed to process said check.

If you routinely cross the border at Peace Arch, Peace Bridge, or through a major airport, NEXUS will usually shorten the process of going through. Right now, given the tensions at the border given President Trump's temporary ban on travel from certain Middle East countries, there will probably still be a through check of your status.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Omegabyte said:
Having a NEXUS card isn't that big of a deal to CIC. There's some data that suggests having applied for a NEXUS card pre-loads your background information into the database that CIC uses when processing your background check. If so, it would shorten the time needed to process said check.

If you routinely cross the border at Peace Arch, Peace Bridge, or through a major airport, NEXUS will usually shorten the process of going through. Right now, given the tensions at the border given President Trump's temporary ban on travel from certain Middle East countries, there will probably still be a through check of your status.
But a Nexus card is proof of citizenship. It says so right on the CBSA Nexus site.

Yes. If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
Aquakitty said:
But a Nexus card is proof of citizenship. It says so right on the CBSA Nexus site.

Yes. If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.
I wasn't discussing that. I was merely pointing out why some believe there's a good reason to get a NEXUS card as part of the PR process. Also, there are specific NEXUS lanes at the busy land border crossings I mentioned, as well as some major international airports.

You can certainly use your NEXUS card at any land border crossing, airport, or via boat, in lieu of a passport or Enhanced Driver's License. But as Sunset0505 informed us, even having a NEXUS card might not guarantee a quick crossing right now.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Omegabyte said:
I wasn't discussing that. I was merely pointing out why some believe there's a good reason to get a NEXUS card as part of the PR process. Also, there are specific NEXUS lanes at the busy land border crossings I mentioned, as well as some major international airports. You can certainly use your NEXUS card at any land border crossing, in lieu of a passport or Enhanced Driver's License.
Yea, I was questioning why Sunset505 was made to prove she's a Canadian if she had a Nexus card. But I agree, Nexus not really helpful for the PR process aside from confirming the CBSA isn't out to get you :p

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Does anyone have any idea if the new application package is speeding up pr time for Americans?

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
jeff198901 said:
Does anyone have any idea if the new application package is speeding up pr time for Americans?
It's too early to know what will happen once the applications get to the visa offices. Sponsor approval and AOR1 are happening for some of them now, and it does appear that that process is slightly faster (for everyone, not just Americans) than it was when I sent my application in in September. But as to what will happen once those applications are at Ottawa, it's anyone's guess. My gut instinct is that it will end up being slower all around because of the medical not being upfront anymore, but I could end up being incredibly wrong. The more they have to ask applicants for during the process, the more potential there is for slowdown due to the applicant's response speed. Time will tell.