Done up front
Med's Done....
15-9-2015
VISA ISSUED...
8-11-2016 (COPR)
LANDED..........
11-12-2016
ladyex13 said:
Hi everyone, just a quick question. I keep reading about CIC updates and what month they're working on and such. How do you find this? Is there a section to go to? If there is could you please post a link if there is one? Thanks so much!
Go here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

Pick 'sponsoring a family member' and then whatever suits your situation in the next drop down :)

unicornpants

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2015
AOR Received.
8-12-2015
File Transfer...
24-2-2016
Med's Request
Done up front
Med's Done....
15-9-2015
VISA ISSUED...
8-11-2016 (COPR)
LANDED..........
11-12-2016
Hi gang,

Does anyone have a good link to review the tax laws for Canada/USA. Specifically, my hubby's present US employer is going to allow him to continue to work remotely for them when he immigrates to Canada (so still doing US work). I just want to see what tax implications that would have for him (or even me I suppose).

Thanks!
-C

Hollywood

Jun 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
24-11-2015
AOR Received.
16-07-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 21-09-2015 FT: 28-09-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 21-12-2015
LANDED..........
31-12-2015
DanOCan said:
Landing complete!

We crossed back into Canada at Coutts, AB. We got to the window, handed the fellow our passports and told him we wanted to complete my wife's landing process. He directed us to park and come inside. We handed over the COPR, the fellow asked a few questions, made her initial a few places and then sign. He had us sit down while he did a bunch of computer work, called us back up, asked about what goods we were going to bring to Canada and we handed over our B4 and our spreadsheet and he just smiled and said "Fantastic. You've done your homework. You'd be surprised how many people get to this point and have no idea what they are doing."

He took a quick read through the spreadsheet, signed and initialed each page, slapped the barcode stickers on it, and said "Congratulations and welcome to Canada."

What a relief that we are finally done! Now my wife can start hunting for a job so we can try to start climbing out of this deep hole of debt we find ourselves in.
Congratulations!!! I know what you mean. My wife hasn't been working for over 2 years and although we are doing ok.... 2 years of added income would have made a big difference! Glad everything is going well. My wife got a job offer within 2 days of applying and starts in a month! Hope the same goes for you!!

Hollywood

Jun 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
24-11-2015
AOR Received.
16-07-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 21-09-2015 FT: 28-09-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 21-12-2015
LANDED..........
31-12-2015
ayrazar said:
Sorry if I'm asking the same people I've already asked by using this thread, but I'm getting worried.

My husband got a VR when we were coming into Canada in December around the 12th. He had been planning on staying a few months while he's on seasonal layoffs. We had put in our pr application Dec 1, but didn't have any proof with us when we crossed (had never had issue before) and got a VR which expired Jan 4th.

We applied for an extension to his status in Dec 30th or something (took us awhile to figure out how to do it) and now he's here on implied status. We'd be fine now, except in November we booked honeymoon tickets for Jan 24-31 in Florida. So when we leave for that, his implied status will be nulled. I'm worried about getting back in on the 31st. He'd like to stay for at least February (when we applied for the extension we says Feb 28th) as his work usually starts back up in March. We don't have AOR yet, and a lot of November folk still dont have AOR so I'm worried we won't get it by the time we leave.

I have proof of payment for the PR app, proof I sent it via purolator, and we have a receipt from him paying his union dues back home to indicate he intends to return. But is it enough? And if it's not, what happens? His car will still be here in Canada, it would suck if he had to pay for another plane ticket to leave Toronto and then have his car stuck here.

Thank guys
We got a VR as well because we were doing extensive visiting before and during the process. They gave us 6 months and then when we explained that we were in the process of applying for permanent residence they gave us another year. These were done at a land border crossing each time. They seem to understand the process very well. As long as your husband clearly states that he is visiting his spouse while he waits for the permanent resident application to be processed they should have no issues extending him another VR. He should let them know that he lives in the US and has no intention of working in Canada until the proper documentation dictates otherwise. I found that as long as you answer all questions and are calm and courteous, along with patient, the process goes well. Hope that helps.... I know how it feels everytime you leave and have to cross! We never had problems and it was two years from when we started visiting to when we got all the paperwork done and eventually to PR. Hope my story helps!

thejeon

Oct 31, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2016-01-21
AOR Received.
2016-03-03
File Transfer...
2016-03-15
Med's Done....
2015-11-20
unicornpants said:
Hi gang,

Does anyone have a good link to review the tax laws for Canada/USA. Specifically, my hubby's present US employer is going to allow him to continue to work remotely for them when he immigrates to Canada (so still doing US work). I just want to see what tax implications that would have for him (or even me I suppose).

Thanks!
-C
I found this to be a helpful link to get started:
americansabroad.org/issues/taxation/us-taxes-abroad-dummies

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
US-Canada common-law partners = LANDED!!!

Me: US citizen who came to Canada to be with my Canadian SO, establish common-law with study permit, received 1 "change to status and extend stay" as visitor/temporary resident (give 6 months), plus another 1 year extension during the wait for my application to be processed.

My timeline:

Meds Done : ___ ?? Sep 2014 (for a visa extension)
App filed : _____ 29 Dec 2014 (so late in the month/year that I considered myself a Jan 2016 applicant)
Sponsor Approval:09 Mar 2015
CSQ (took 1mon):30 Apr 2015
Doc Request : _ 30 Jul 2015 (proof of sponsor's residence & RPRF)
In Progress : ___ ?? Sep 2015
Decision Made: _ ?? Oct 2015
COPR date: ____ 22 Oct 2015
COPR received: _ 27 Oct 2015
COPR valid until: 30 Sep 2016

LANDED: 09 Jan 2016!!! :D :D :D

I landed at Montreal-Trudeau airport (after a family holiday visit). The CBSA officer was very friendly, and we spoke in English. The Quebec welcoming lady (not sure of the actual office/department, MIDI?) was also quite friendly, and we spoke in French. She made me an appointment with the RAMQ for signing up for healthcare card (with standard 3 month delay), and explained that I can get private insurance if I want, but that's optional and not an obligation.

The waiting line for the taxi took longer than the whole landing process.

Getting my SIN at Service Canada took barely half an hour. Doing the driver's license exchange at the SAAQ also took barely 40 minutes (with appointment!). Now I'm just waiting for my application to the free French classes through the Quebec gov't to get processed.

Just a brief update, hope to give hope to others.

I want to say thank you again to this forum for all their help. I learned a lot through reading other people's questions and answers.

Good luck everyone!

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
Hollywood said:
We got a VR as well because we were doing extensive visiting before and during the process. They gave us 6 months and then when we explained that we were in the process of applying for permanent residence they gave us another year. These were done at a land border crossing each time. They seem to understand the process very well. As long as your husband clearly states that he is visiting his spouse while he waits for the permanent resident application to be processed they should have no issues extending him another VR. He should let them know that he lives in the US and has no intention of working in Canada until the proper documentation dictates otherwise. I found that as long as you answer all questions and are calm and courteous, along with patient, the process goes well. Hope that helps.... I know how it feels everytime you leave and have to cross! We never had problems and it was two years from when we started visiting to when we got all the paperwork done and eventually to PR. Hope my story helps!
Thank you do much for your reply! Last time when we got the short VR (we didn't get 6 months, we got like 22 days :/) we didn't have ANY proof of having submitted our PR. This time well have at least the receipt from payment. Plus the other stuff I listed.. God I hope it works :( November still isn't done getting AOR and I don't have much faith we'll have ours in time.

ladyex13

Oct 17, 2013
unicornpants said:
Go here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

Pick 'sponsoring a family member' and then whatever suits your situation in the next drop down :)
Thank you very much

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
Finally the FBI charged our card today! So if everything goes well, we should have it in ~two weeks.. I doubt we'll have SA by then, but maybe not too long after, and then we can send it in and everything will be complete :D

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
I have a question.

I'm currently in Canada visiting my spouse. We haven't sent off our application yet. I originally planned to submit the application sooner, but since I was granted to standard 6 months of entry I decided not to rush. I'm about to call and schedule my medical, which will likely take two weeks to get an appointment for. From what I've read on the FBI background check thread, they should be opening and processing my background check in 2-4 weeks (As of today, it has been exactly three months since the FBI received my background check application). Would it be better to send in my application in 2 weeks (approximately) or wait until I have my background check in hand in another maybe 2 weeks more than that? I came here on Nov. 16th, so I will have to apply for a visitor extension around April 16th and we may or may not have SA by then. Would not having SA decrease my chances of a visitor extension being approved? I just don't know whether or not I'm being too paranoid about the timeline that I have to get everything done. It's confusing. I'm leaning towards waiting until I have my FBI background check in hand to submit the application, but I'm just worried about how that will affect a visitor extension.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
I have a question.

I'm currently in Canada visiting my spouse. We haven't sent off our application yet. I originally planned to submit the application sooner, but since I was granted to standard 6 months of entry I decided not to rush. I'm about to call and schedule my medical, which will likely take two weeks to get an appointment for. From what I've read on the FBI background check thread, they should be opening and processing my background check in 2-4 weeks (As of today, it has been exactly three months since the FBI received my background check application). Would it be better to send in my application in 2 weeks (approximately) or wait until I have my background check in hand in another maybe 2 weeks more than that? I came here on Nov. 16th, so I will have to apply for a visitor extension around April 16th and we may or may not have SA by then. Would not having SA decrease my chances of a visitor extension being approved? I just don't know whether or not I'm being too paranoid about the timeline that I have to get everything done. It's confusing. I'm leaning towards waiting until I have my FBI background check in hand to submit the application, but I'm just worried about how that will affect a visitor extension.
I personally do not think not having SA would decrease your chance of getting an extension. You would just put the reason for your extension request is that you applied for PR and wish to stay in Canada while it is processed. You can send in a copy of your receipt for PR as proof.

Has your bank account been debited for the FBI report yet? If so, you might be receiving it soon. If it were me I would wait for it, but I know others here have sent in in later and it seemed to be okay.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
TracyCa64 said:
I personally do not think not having SA would decrease your chance of getting an extension. You would just put the reason for your extension request is that you applied for PR and wish to stay in Canada while it is processed. You can send in a copy of your receipt for PR as proof.

Has your bank account been debited for the FBI report yet? If so, you might be receiving it soon. If it were me I would wait for it, but I know others here have sent in in later and it seemed to be okay.
Thank you :). If it won't decrease my chances of a visitor extension being accepted, then I'll wait. If everything goes well I will likely be getting AOR right when I need to extend my status. My card hasn't been charged yet; I've been keeping an eye on it just in case.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
Thank you :). If it won't decrease my chances of a visitor extension being accepted, then I'll wait. If everything goes well I will likely be getting AOR right when I need to extend my status. My card hasn't been charged yet; I've been keeping an eye on it just in case.
It took me almost 8 weeks to get AOR and then 2 weeks later I received SA. I actually just applied for my extension this month. Yeah, if you sent your PR application out let's say Feb 1st, then I would expect you would get AOR before you had to extend your visitor status. Then you could even send a copy of the AOR with your extension request.

Even if you didn't receive your FBI in time, you can send it in later. I have read on other posts that CIC allows it. I just think it is better to send a complete package if possible, then you don't risk delays.

Stay on the forum, lots of info & help here. Everyone is super!!

Smiles!!

bradybunchmom

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2016
Hi everyone :) Just wondering if there is a US spreadsheet so I can get an idea of the wait time?

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
I don't know that there's one specifically for U.S. applicants, but check the thread for Ottawa - there should be a spreadsheet for that visa office and that's what you'd want o keep an eye on.