24-12-2015
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2016
rugrat907 said:
I don't know that there's one specifically for U.S. applicants, but check the thread for Ottawa - there should be a spreadsheet for that visa office and that's what you'd want o keep an eye on.
Thanks!! Will check there :)

JO1986

Star Member
Jun 3, 2015
rugrat907 said:
I don't know that there's one specifically for U.S. applicants, but check the thread for Ottawa - there should be a spreadsheet for that visa office and that's what you'd want o keep an eye on.
Can I get the link for the Ottawa thread, can't seem to spot it!

joshwarm

Jan 9, 2016
Hi Folks,

Our situation:
I'm a Canadian sponsoring my American husband to come to Canada.
We submitted our application with completed Medical and FBI at the beginning of December.
He currently travels up to see me every other weekend for a few days.

If I understand correctly, after about 2 months we should get an email from Ottawa stating that the Sponsor (me) has been approved. Then the application goes somewhere else (Los Angeles? New York? Mississauga?) to assess HIM (the Sponsee) which takes 4-8 months.

Questions:
His job in the US will end in the next month or two and we'd like him to come here and stay, even if our application isn't approved yet. We understand he won't have insurance or be able to work here.
- Is there any reason he can't just stay as Visitor until the application is approved?
- Will this impact our application adversely?
- He will effectively be unemployed; is that a barrier to entering Canada (I've got a stable job).

Thanks for any help. I'm so grateful for this forum. I've learned a lot from reading through the pages of posts. You're a generous bunch.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
joshwarm said:
Hi Folks,

Our situation:
I'm a Canadian sponsoring my American husband to come to Canada.
We submitted our application with completed Medical and FBI at the beginning of December.
He currently travels up to see me every other weekend for a few days.

If I understand correctly, after about 2 months we should get an email from Ottawa stating that the Sponsor (me) has been approved. Then the application goes somewhere else (Los Angeles? New York? Mississauga?) to assess HIM (the Sponsee) which takes 4-8 months.

Questions:
His job in the US will end in the next month or two and we'd like him to come here and stay, even if our application isn't approved yet. We understand he won't have insurance or be able to work here.
- Is there any reason he can't just stay as Visitor until the application is approved?
- Will this impact our application adversely?
- He will effectively be unemployed; is that a barrier to entering Canada (I've got a stable job).

Thanks for any help. I'm so grateful for this forum. I've learned a lot from reading through the pages of posts. You're a generous bunch.
1: He can technically stay with you as a visitor until his application is approved. This is what I'm doing (I'm visiting my husband, the sponsor). However, his entry is still up to the discretion of the CBSA agent at the border.
2: Not that I know of. If anything, CIC probably likes to see that a couple has lived together for at least some time.
3: From what I've read on this forum; it's a gamble and depends on the individual CBSA agent. They will be more lenient with proof of a PR application in process, but normally the person trying to enter is still supposed to be able to prove some ties to the US. Some people say they will visit for the duration of the application process and have no issues while others have had issues. I still technically had a job right up until I crossed the border. I said I was planning on visiting for three weeks for the holidays (plans do change...). My situation is a little different though. Back in July I was given a voluntary withdrawal while trying to visit my husband (then boyfriend) for not being able to show sufficient ties to the US (I was unemployed). I did have to go in for a secondary inspection, but they were mainly interested in scanning my luggage (I traveled by train) and asking me if I had been in contact with anyone with Ebola. Once it was clear we planned on submitting a PR application, the CBSA agents were not too concerned with my ties to the US. The biggest issue I had at that crossing was one of their computers was on the fritz and they were having issues looking up my passport information in their databases. More people can likely provide their input on this question. When I asked about this, I was advised at first by several people to say that I wanted to visit for 6 months, and then when I asked again I had people advising me to plan for a shorter visit and to not say that I would be visiting without any ties to the us.

kdubbs

Dec 9, 2015
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2015
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
22-12-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 26-03-2016
Hope everyone's New Year is off to a great start! I have a question regarding my passport and I would love to get some advice!

Basically my passport will be expiring this year, August 7, 2016. I'm a US Citizen with a US Passport and am being sponsored by my Common Law Partner. He was approved as a sponsor around December 20th 2015 and my CIC profile says that my half of the application began processing on December 23rd.

I would like to take care of my passport and get it renewed as quickly as possible but I'm just concerned that this is around the time I will be asked to send in my Passport. I don't want to send a passport that is about to expire in several months either.

Just hoping for some advice on what to do! Sorry if it's unclear what I am asking or if it seems like common sense! I'd appreciate any help! I'm leaning towards renewing it asap and possibly paying to get it expedited? Thanks in advance :)

carr1

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
16-02-16 FBI check
AOR Received.
16-09-2015
File Transfer...
27-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-05-2015
Passport Req..
2-4-16 DM
VISA ISSUED...
8-4-16 COPR Arrived
LANDED..........
10-4-16 Landed
kdubbs said:
Hope everyone's New Year is off to a great start! I have a question regarding my passport and I would love to get some advice!

Basically my passport will be expiring this year, August 7, 2016. I'm a US Citizen with a US Passport and am being sponsored by my Common Law Partner. He was approved as a sponsor around December 20th 2015 and my CIC profile says that my half of the application began processing on December 23rd.

I would like to take care of my passport and get it renewed as quickly as possible but I'm just concerned that this is around the time I will be asked to send in my Passport. I don't want to send a passport that is about to expire in several months either.

I'm not sure but I think as a US citizen you don't get asked to send in your passport but I'm unsure as I'm not to that point yet :)
But I did apply for a new passport since I've been in Canada (name change) I made an appointment at the US consulate in Toronto, my new passport arrived to my Canadian address in 10 days, and I didn't pay to expedite it. If you are near a consulate you could do that, all the directions on how to apply and make the appointment are online. Just a thought.

kdubbs

Dec 9, 2015
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2015
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
22-12-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 26-03-2016
Thanks carr1! Not having to send my passport in would be ideal! That way I can just renew it and have one less thing to worry about :D 10 days seems quick though so that makes me feel better!

carr1

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
16-02-16 FBI check
AOR Received.
16-09-2015
File Transfer...
27-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-05-2015
Passport Req..
2-4-16 DM
VISA ISSUED...
8-4-16 COPR Arrived
LANDED..........
10-4-16 Landed
kdubbs said:
Thanks carr1! Not having to send my passport in would be ideal! That way I can just renew it and have one less thing to worry about :D 10 days seems quick though so that makes me feel better!
NP! I was like you and didn't want to mail my passport in to make the change. The consulate route was easy and I didn't have to mail in the passport or other important documents like birth certificate. At the consulate they check everything and give all your important paperwork back. It's a bit of a pain going through the security checks at the consulate but not terrible. Just have all the paperwork together and ready with the passport fee and a Canada post envelope (directions online) and it took about 45 minutes at the consulate. Good luck!

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
kdubbs said:

Just hoping for some advice on what to do! Sorry if it's unclear what I am asking or if it seems like common sense! I'd appreciate any help! I'm leaning towards renewing it asap and possibly paying to get it expedited? Thanks in advance :)
Check out this link.
I had the same question.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-request-question-t392410.0.html;msg4887864#msg4887864

CamL-W

Jun 4, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-June-2015
Doc's Request.
03-December-2015
AOR Received.
SA Letter: 13-August-2015
File Transfer...
In Process : 06-August-2015
Med's Done....
09-March-2015
Passport Req..
New Imm Pics : 03-December-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 10-January-2016 / COPR: 19-January-2016
Hubby got COPR today! WOOOO! Here is my complete timeline...Hope it can help others.

Application filed: June 1st 2015

Sponsor File In Process: July 8th 2015
Sponsor File Decision Made: July 28th 2015

Primary Applicant File In Process: August 4th 2015
Primary Applicant File Decision Made: January 10th 2016
CORP Received: January 19th 2016

kdubbs

Dec 9, 2015
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2015
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
22-12-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 26-03-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Check out this link.
I had the same question.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-request-question-t392410.0.html;msg4887864#msg4887864
It's nice to know other people have the same questions! Thanks for the link :)

PS: I have no complaints with not having the extra work of sending away my passport haha

kdubbs

Dec 9, 2015
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2015
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
22-12-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 26-03-2016
CamL-W said:
Hubby got COPR today! WOOOO! Here is my complete timeline...Hope it can help others.
Congrats!! I can't even imagine how exciting that is, but I definitely look forward to finding out!! Great way to start the year!

CamL-W

Jun 4, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-June-2015
Doc's Request.
03-December-2015
AOR Received.
SA Letter: 13-August-2015
File Transfer...
In Process : 06-August-2015
Med's Done....
09-March-2015
Passport Req..
New Imm Pics : 03-December-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 10-January-2016 / COPR: 19-January-2016
kdubbs said:
Congrats!! I can't even imagine how exciting that is, but I definitely look forward to finding out!! Great way to start the year!
Yeah 2016 is an awesome year, can't deny that. Thank you! :)

Jun 10, 2015
Hi everyone..

I'm a US outland applicant for my American husband. I am wondering if most of you did this on your own or if you hired a lawyer?? I'm finding it's extremely confusing as I thought "all" I had to complete was the Document Checklist which was IMM008, 5669, 5406 (for myself and husband), and 5490. But now I'm seeing IMM5481, 1344, 5409, 5540..

this amounts to around 10 pdf documents. AM I CORRECT HERE???? WHY IS THIS SO DAMN CONFUSING?

Also, the FBI background check takes 3 months.. did anyone send the application without the FBI background check?

Also, where do you send the application? I can't find an address? Maybe I can send the package to this address then have the FBI background check also sent to this address?

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
CaliforniaWifey said:
Hi everyone..

I'm a US outland applicant for my American husband. I am wondering if most of you did this on your own or if you hired a lawyer?? I'm finding it's extremely confusing as I thought "all" I had to complete was the Document Checklist which was IMM008, 5669, 5406 (for myself and husband), and 5490. But now I'm seeing IMM5481, 1344, 5409, 5540..

this amounts to around 10 pdf documents. AM I CORRECT HERE???? WHY IS THIS SO DAMN CONFUSING?

Also, the FBI background check takes 3 months.. did anyone send the application without the FBI background check?

Also, where do you send the application? I can't find an address? Maybe I can send the package to this address then have the FBI background check also sent to this address?
I didn't use a lawyer. If you have serious trouble understanding the application, have serious reading problems or writing problems, if English or French is not your first language/s or you're not fluent in either, if you have a criminal record, serious medical problem, or other big giant red flags - get a lawyer. If none of this applies to you, then take it slow and carefully, use the guide, and you'll be able to do it. Come ask questions if you get stuck. People around here seem to know the various forms back and forth. The key is to take it slow. Triple check everything. Don't do it all in one day.

For the FBI check, it's sort of iffy. You can send it in without the FBI check, but with proof that you have ordered it. This is what many do and it's usually okay. However, some people, like myself, got stuck waiting much longer because they were reviewing my application just a week before they had the check in their hands, and my file got pushed to the back of the line because of this. If you send in the FBI check afterwards, don't do what I did - do NOT wait until they ask in the batch EMail. Send it in as soon as they seem to have your file as seen through ECAS. This should be around the same time the Sponser is approved. Send it before the batch EMail if you can do this. I have heard it can take a full month before the mail comes from the mail room and to the hands of the officers handling your application.

Anyway, I think if you have an average IQ and speak English / French as your first language/s then you'll be okay just as long as you do not rush and are extremely careful. If anything at all confuses you look up more information or ask on the board. Good luck!