Doc's Request.
31-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014 (SA)
Med's Done....
18-07-2014
Passport Req..
Exempt
We got our DM on June 2 - still nothing in the mail. Anyone else in California with an idea on how long it takes a COPR to get from Ottawa to California?

VAtoBC

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2014
ECAS showed DM for my spouse's application as of June 20. Neither of us has yet received an email to that effect from CIC. Have other folks had experience of receiving COPR via snail mail without first receiving an email? Concerned that we may have fallen through the cracks again. We would have had NO information were it not for me finally getting through to the Call Centre last week and my checking ECAS last weekend. We hope to make our cross-continetnal trek by September 1, and have much to do before then. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd like to know whether we Canadian citizens acting as sponsors would have a case for a class action law suit against CIC for dereliction of duty, asking for compensation for pain and suffering caused. I realize our situation pales in significance to those First Nations folks who suffered in the residential school system, where there really ought to be reparations made.

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM June 2/2015 and COPR arrived June 10/2015
LANDED..........
June 15/2015 Yay! 8) PR card arrived Sept 3/2015
MantisToboggan said:
We got our DM on June 2 - still nothing in the mail. Anyone else in California with an idea on how long it takes a COPR to get from Ottawa to California?
We also got our DM on June 2 and COPR was in the mailbox 8 days later on June 10, but this was all in Canada etc.. Are you sure of the mailing address, could it already be at another address you put on the forms etc? Just speculating is all and maybe calling them is in order to check up on this etc.

VAtoBC said:
ECAS showed DM for my spouse's application as of June 20. Neither of us has yet received an email to that effect from CIC. Have other folks had experience of receiving COPR via snail mail without first receiving an email? Concerned that we may have fallen through the cracks again.
You should be okay.. They do not email. You just get a DM and then your COPR will show up in your mailbox.. Ours took 8 days to arrive after seeing DM.. You should see it soon I would think 8)

MantisToboggan

Sep 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2014
Doc's Request.
31-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014 (SA)
Med's Done....
18-07-2014
Passport Req..
Exempt
Evadyrrehs said:
We also got our DM on June 2 and COPR was in the mailbox 8 days later on June 10, but this was all in Canada etc.. Are you sure of the mailing address, could it already be at another address you put on the forms etc? Just speculating is all and maybe calling them is in order to check up on this etc.
We've never changed our address and the address in ECAS is our California address. Our letter carriers are terrible though so I'm worried. I did try the call centre last week but was essentially told that they won't look in the file until 16 months. I'm going to try calling again to get someone else but just haven't had time yet.

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
VAtoBC said:
ECAS showed DM for my spouse's application as of June 20. Neither of us has yet received an email to that effect from CIC. Have other folks had experience of receiving COPR via snail mail without first receiving an email?
As I understand it, US-applicants to Ottawa often receive no e-mail contact at all if everything goes well. Since Americans are visa-exempt, the originally-supplied passport copy is enough to issue the COPR. Someone who does not check eCAS may hear nothing from sponsor approval until the COPR arrives at a much later date.

Concerned that we may have fallen through the cracks again. We would have had NO information were it not for me finally getting through to the Call Centre last week and my checking ECAS last weekend.
I would not yet worry. Looking at the spreadsheet, user saria1 only yesterday received their COPR, yet their eCAS showed DM on the 11th.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd like to know whether we Canadian citizens acting as sponsors would have a case for a class action law suit against CIC for dereliction of duty, asking for compensation for pain and suffering caused.
Not a chance. Absent an infringement of liberty or racial discrimination, immigration applicants are only given a right to procedural fairness. That mostly means that CIC has to have a procedure, and they have to follow it. In practice, it means that their decisions must have reasons, and that they cannot be arbitrary or act with malice or in bad faith.

Other than that, there is no legal or constitutional guarantee to any specific performance standard, and moreover even if there were such a guarantee it would not apply here: our applications (you and I apparently applied within the space of a week, with my application the elder) haven't even come close to the 16-month 80% processing standard that was published at the time of our application. While we have every right to be annoyed that CIC is failing to meet their own 6-month processing goal, this is cause for an angry letter to our MPs rather than a lawsuit.

VAtoBC

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2014
Majromax said:
As I understand it, US-applicants to Ottawa often receive no e-mail contact at all if everything goes well. Since Americans are visa-exempt, the originally-supplied passport copy is enough to issue the COPR. Someone who does not check eCAS may hear nothing from sponsor approval until the COPR arrives at a much later date.

I would not yet worry. Looking at the spreadsheet, user saria1 only yesterday received their COPR, yet their eCAS showed DM on the 11th.

Not a chance. Absent an infringement of liberty or racial discrimination, immigration applicants are only given a right to procedural fairness. That mostly means that CIC has to have a procedure, and they have to follow it. In practice, it means that their decisions must have reasons, and that they cannot be arbitrary or act with malice or in bad faith.

Other than that, there is no legal or constitutional guarantee to any specific performance standard, and moreover even if there were such a guarantee it would not apply here: our applications (you and I apparently applied within the space of a week, with my application the elder) haven't even come close to the 16-month 80% processing standard that was published at the time of our application. While we have every right to be annoyed that CIC is failing to meet their own 6-month processing goal, this is cause for an angry letter to our MPs rather than a lawsuit.
Thanks for this very thorough and helpful response. I need to do something constructive with my frustration at CIC before I shoot myself in the foot. Currently sorting and pitching 15 years worth of photos on slides, keeping about 2% for digitizing. Not the first time I'm aware I need to edit myself!

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
VAtoBC, taking into consideration that there are many who have applied long before you that are still waiting for DM, or have had horrible circumstances with CIC losing parts if not most of their applications, I would be thankful and do my happy dance if I was in your shoes 8) All you pretty much have to worry about now is that your COPR will not have any mistakes on it, and if not you can land as soon as you see fit. You're almost done :)

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
MantisToboggan said:
We've never changed our address and the address in ECAS is our California address. Our letter carriers are terrible though so I'm worried. I did try the call centre last week but was essentially told that they won't look in the file until 16 months. I'm going to try calling again to get someone else but just haven't had time yet.
Mantis! If you look at the 2014 Sept Outland thread Maria just had luck getting info today via the call center asking when her COPR was mailed out..

Good luck and I hope you see it in your mailbox soon! 8)

VAtoBC

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2014
Evadyrrehs said:
Mantis! If you look at the 2014 Sept Outland thread Maria just had luck getting info today via the call center asking when her COPR was mailed out..

Good luck and I hope you see it in your mailbox soon! 8)
So happy to hear this for Maria -- finally some good news for her! Thanks for all your support and advice, Sherry & Dave.

Daffydavid

May 31, 2015
I'm sure this is probably addressed somewhere else but I am still unclear on the advantages of inland vs. outland. Can my wife get a work permit within 4 months as stated on the government website or is it from some date other than the submission date? Would she be working sooner inland with work permit application or with outland waiting for PR? I see many advocate outland vs. inland, can someone clarify the differences? Sorry for asking what is almost certainly questions that have been answered numerous times.

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Daffydavid said:
I'm sure this is probably addressed somewhere else but I am still unclear on the advantages of inland vs. outland. Can my wife get a work permit within 4 months as stated on the government website or is it from some date other than the submission date? Would she be working sooner inland with work permit application or with outland waiting for PR? I see many advocate outland vs. inland, can someone clarify the differences? Sorry for asking what is almost certainly questions that have been answered numerous times.
There's a really thorough explanation on the first page of the thread pinned to the top of the Family Class board. But basically (seniors feel free to correct me) for inland you may be able to get the work permit but the PR application takes longer to process. The work permit pilot is also just a pilot. After December 2015 they may decide to no longer grant permits for those waiting for PR.

With outland, the application processes much faster but you can't work. With inland and outland if you are living in Canada, you must maintain legal status at all times, so most people opt for outland and live in Canada with visitor status while their application processes.

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 4-6-2015 or earlier
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
Hello!

I got my DM on June 4th and I finally got my COPR letter today - June 23rd, so mine took 19 days.
I had a change of address submitted with CIC, but the letter was sent to my old California address (Date stamp shows June 4th), so the mail went to my old California address and then got forwarded to my address in Niagara Falls, NY - I just went and picked it up!

My hubby and I are going back into Canada tomorrow - I will explain to them (if they ask) that I got my COPR letter the day before, but I don't have the B4 filled out yet, so I will do that landing in 2 weeks when we are coming back with my hubby on his days off....

Daffydavid

May 31, 2015
I see some people are crossing the border and coming back to Canada. Has anyone had problems with this and is it advisable?

Caribou

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Daffydavid said:
I see some people are crossing the border and coming back to Canada. Has anyone had problems with this and is it advisable?
never really had problem so far.
Always carry your copy of marriage certificate and receipt for application. (and mention just "visiting" Canada.)

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Daffydavid said:
Outland visa exempt applicants can come and go as they please. You are a visitor the entire time you are in Canada and you must maintain your visitor status up to date.