+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

Moving to QC

Jun 23, 2015
I am a US Citizen looking to marry my fiance who is a Canadian Citizen.
I really want to make this process go as quickly as possible, but I need benefits and want to get a job asap.
I do not understand the process. Is it faster as an outland applicant?
If so what needs to be done?

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Moving to QC said:
I really want to make this process go as quickly as possible, but I need benefits and want to get a job asap.
Once you are married, you can do inland or outland (I saw from another post that you are not living together so will not qualify as common-law).

There's a really good breakdown of inland vs outland on the first post of this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Outland is generally faster. You can stay in the US and work, or come to Canada as a visitor but you cannot work until you get your PR. Inland is slower, you have to be in Canada, and you may be able to get a work permit so you can work in Canada while the application processes. But the work permit program is only a pilot, they may stop granting work permits to people waiting for PR after December 2015, and I'm not sure if the work permit will last for the whole PR processing time, or if it is just a one year permit.

deweysmith

Mar 20, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
Moving to QC said:
If you're looking to live in Montreal or thereabouts there are plenty of border towns in the USA within about an hour's drive that have plenty of places to work and live. That's essentially what I'm doing, makes the long-distance part of the relationship much less long distance.

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OhCanadiana said:
Happy to help :)

You should be able to get an ON DL. The uncertainty is around what proof, if any, you'll need from Ohio (if you have 4 years of experience, you'll get a full G licence which allows you to drive on your own so depending on the Manitoba licence you have that may be a given or something you may need to show). If you call DriveTest and go though the menus and select the option to get details of specific centre, at the very end of the recording you'll have (or at least used to have) the option of getting transferred to the specific centre. If you ask the centre you'll likely go to you'll know exactly what they will want :)
Thanks, I phoned the licence authority here in Manitoba (MPI) and they have granted me a 180 day extension with a full licence that I can use across Canada and exchange in Ontario when it expires.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Cross posting this from the March 2015 thread in case anyone has any bright ideas...

We are still in limbo waiting on SA. Called again, the agent said it's really odd, that they should have heard something about the inquiry they sent last week, but there's nothing on the file, and did admit that it's possible that we've been misfiled as Inland, but they need to wait 90 days for an answer from Mississauga.

My wife did go to her MP's office, and that was fruitless. She lives in a relatively small town where her family hasn't exactly ingratiated themselves with the local politicians - not so much her, but her now deceased ex-husband, who donated to the MP's opponent in every election, etc...they said they wouldn't do anything yet. So right now, we're screwed. I don't know what to do, except to inundate CIC and her MP with stuff until someone gets off their ass.

VAtoBC

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2014
I'm sure I've read posts on the topic of importing your vehicle as part of settler's effects, but am having trouble finding info using this site's search engine. Does anyone have tips for filing on AES to get ITN? My spouse tells me there's a 34-item questionnaire you have to pass to proceed any further? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good customs broker near Pacific Highway crossing in Blaine/Surrey to help us with this?

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
VAtoBC said:
I'm sure I've read posts on the topic of importing your vehicle as part of settler's effects, but am having trouble finding info using this site's search engine. Does anyone have tips for filing on AES to get ITN? My spouse tells me there's a 34-item questionnaire you have to pass to proceed any further? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good customs broker near Pacific Highway crossing in Blaine/Surrey to help us with this?

Car Exporting, Made Simple
http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/

Importer checklist
https://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

Forum thread
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/importing-car-from-usa-t183499.0.html

Sunny292929

Jun 24, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I have few questions and I hope that some of you will be able to help me.

I am an Indian citizen and a permanent resident in Canada and my girlfriend lives in New York city. She is an Indian citizen and working there on a H1B visa. I wanted to file her sponsorship so I was confused between filing an Outland or Inland application. We have been dating since 2006 and we are getting married in New York city hall on July 1st (Canada Day.. :)). A formal wedding party will take place in India in March 2016. So my plan was to get married now and then she could be come to Canada (hopefully) by next May or June.

I know that it usually takes longer in an inland application than outland. But if I file an outland application, then the time required for an assessment of person being sponsored is 35 months in New York office (according to CIC website). It is way longer than what I thought. So should I just forget about outland application and file an inland application next year after a formal wedding in India?

I read that in this thread many people got their process completed in less than an year which makes me question the processing times on CIC website.

Am I missing something? Can someone please help/guide me?

Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Sunny292929 said:
Hello Everyone,

I have few questions and I hope that some of you will be able to help me.

I am an Indian citizen and a permanent resident in Canada and my girlfriend lives in New York city. She is an Indian citizen and working there on a H1B visa. I wanted to file her sponsorship so I was confused between filing an Outland or Inland application. We have been dating since 2006 and we are getting married in New York city hall on July 1st (Canada Day.. :)). A formal wedding party will take place in India in March 2016. So my plan was to get married now and then she could be come to Canada (hopefully) by next May or June.

I know that it usually takes longer in an inland application than outland. But if I file an outland application, then the time required for an assessment of person being sponsored is 35 months in New York office (according to CIC website). It is way longer than what I thought. So should I just forget about outland application and file an inland application next year after a formal wedding in India?

I read that in this thread many people got their process completed in less than an year which makes me question the processing times on CIC website.

Am I missing something? Can someone please help/guide me?

Any help/guidance is appreciated.
The NY office is no longer reviewing applications.

If she is a citizen of India I would assume her visa office would be New Delhi, India with a processing time of 16 months (outland). I don't believe a H1B visa in the USA puts her in the US applicant office. But I could be wrong. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If she was going through the USA office it would be CPC-Ottawa with also has a processing time of 16 months (outland)

This link can get you started
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

Apply to sponsor your spouse
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

Forms for outland
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

India specific instructions
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3904E.pdf

USA instructions
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3910e.pdf

VAtoBC

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2014
Mariac819 said:
Car Exporting, Made Simple
http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/

Importer checklist
https://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

Forum thread
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/importing-car-from-usa-t183499.0.html
Thanks, Maria! Cheers, Linda

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015

Sunny292929

Jun 24, 2015
Mariac819 said:
The NY office is no longer reviewing applications.

If she is a citizen of India I would assume her visa office would be New Delhi, India with a processing time of 16 months (outland). I don't believe a H1B visa in the USA puts her in the US applicant office. But I could be wrong. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If she was going through the USA office it would be CPC-Ottawa with also has a processing time of 16 months (outland)
Thanks Maria

tonypro99

Jun 25, 2015
Hi Everyone I was wondering if someone would give me the best advice on which way to apply with my family?

I am married with my wife (American) and I'm Canadian and I am looking to bring her up to Canada to live but I also have my 2-step children that I would like to attend school as they are both under 10 years old and would like them to be enrolled in school here. So I am wondering if OUTLAND would be the best bet as I know it's quicker from what I am reading and it would allow us to go back to America for a vacation if need be or if she wanted to visit family. I am just wondering if there would be an issue with the children in attending school here or not?

Thanks!

EmSNYC

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2015
File Transfer...
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Mariac819 said:

I have an L-1 and I am processed by Ottawa fwiw.