Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM June 2/2015 and COPR arrived June 10/2015
LANDED..........
June 15/2015 Yay! 8) PR card arrived Sept 3/2015
We landed on June 15 and went to Service Canada on June 17 to get my wife's SIN #.. All she needed was her COPR and her passport and they issued it right away and there is no charge for it. You don't get a card anymore just your SIN# on a piece of paper.. We then went to Service New Brunswick on June 18 to send off for her Health Care and also get her a NB drivers license.. There they wanted some utility bills with our address on it, her COPR, and passport etc.. We were there on June 17 but I didn't know they also want some utility bills as part of the process which we didn't have with us at the time, so we went back the next day on June 18.. We sent away for Healthcare and my wife got her new NB Canada drivers licence right there and then too.. They take your old licence though when you get your Canadian one.. That was the only charge around $84 for her DL. The medical will arrive in the mail in 4-6 weeks or so.. That was it all done, easy peasy 8)

michminn

Aug 26, 2014
Nanaimo, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Miss to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2014
AOR Received.
05/12/2014
File Transfer...
05/12/2014
Med's Done....
18/03/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waives/US citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 17/6/2015
LANDED..........
Soon... 25/6/2015 !!!!!!!!!!! Anticipated
keesio said:
1) You can apply at any Service Canada office and get a number right on the spot that you can start using immediately. My wife got hers at the airport 5 minutes after she landed (though not all airports have a SIN counter).

2) Yes you need government ID and your signed copy of COPR
Thank You so much!

michminn

Aug 26, 2014
Nanaimo, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Miss to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2014
AOR Received.
05/12/2014
File Transfer...
05/12/2014
Med's Done....
18/03/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waives/US citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 17/6/2015
LANDED..........
Evadyrrehs said:
We landed on June 15 and went to Service Canada on June 17 to get my wife's SIN #.. All she needed was her COPR and her passport and they issued it right away and there is no charge for it. You don't get a card anymore just your SIN# on a piece of paper.. We then went to Service New Brunswick on June 18 to send off for her Health Care and also get her a NB drivers license.. There they wanted some utility bills with our address on it, her COPR, and passport etc.. We were there on June 17 but I didn't know they also want some utility bills as part of the process which we didn't have with us at the time, so we went back the next day on June 18.. We sent away for Healthcare and my wife got her new NB Canada drivers licence right there and then too.. They take your old licence though when you get your Canadian one.. That was the only charge around $84 for her DL. The medical will arrive in the mail in 4-6 weeks or so.. That was it all done, easy peasy 8)
Awesome! I have had BC medical since my wife received SA and my drivers license since December 2014. :)

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM June 2/2015 and COPR arrived June 10/2015
LANDED..........
June 15/2015 Yay! 8) PR card arrived Sept 3/2015
michminn said:
Awesome! I have had BC medical since my wife received SA and my drivers license since December 2014. :)
Oh okay cool Michelle! All you have left then is your SIN# and you're all set and good to go! 8)

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good Morning guys and gals. I think I found the right place for me. I'm an American living in Canada with my wife and am considering ditching my inland application for the outland one. If you guys could please provide some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

My PGWP expires at the end of July so I was hoping to get the inland application in the mail the end of this week along with an OWP so that I could maintain status during the application. However I have been reading about some of the successes Americans have had with the outland app and I'd like to know, if I gave it a week to completely switch my app (still haven't submitted anything yet) would I be alright?

I just have a few concerns:

First my driver's license expires with my PGWP and I was going to renew it for 180 extension with proof of implied status but if I apply outland I do not receive implied status right?

Unfortunately we are right in the middle of moving to another province for my wife's new job, MB to ON. I won't be able to use my health card anymore.

I have family in the US that are sick and getting very old. It would be nice to visit them and God forbid if anything happened, I'd like to be able to go to a funeral.

Work is not really a concern for me right now because I am taking a break on working because I'd like to open my own business in a calendar year's time, which is probably another great reason to apply outland.

Thank you so much for the help! :)

michminn

Aug 26, 2014
Nanaimo, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Miss to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2014
AOR Received.
05/12/2014
File Transfer...
05/12/2014
Med's Done....
18/03/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waives/US citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 17/6/2015
LANDED..........
coinguy said:
Good Morning guys and gals. I think I found the right place for me. I'm an American living in Canada with my wife and am considering ditching my inland application for the outland one. If you guys could please provide some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

My PGWP expires at the end of July so I was hoping to get the inland application in the mail the end of this week along with an OWP so that I could maintain status during the application. However I have been reading about some of the successes Americans have had with the outland app and I'd like to know, if I gave it a week to completely switch my app (still haven't submitted anything yet) would I be alright?

I just have a few concerns:

First my driver's license expires with my PGWP and I was going to renew it for 180 extension with proof of implied status but if I apply outland I do not receive implied status right?

Unfortunately we are right in the middle of moving to another province for my wife's new job, MB to ON. I won't be able to use my health card anymore.

I have family in the US that are sick and getting very old. It would be nice to visit them and God forbid if anything happened, I'd like to be able to go to a funeral.

Work is not really a concern for me right now because I am taking a break on working because I'd like to open my own business in a calendar year's time, which is probably another great reason to apply outland.

Thank you so much for the help! :)
Howdy!

Yes, yes, yes, yes...OMG! APPLY OUTLAND!!! ONLY OUTLAND!

I started my application in 2014 March to be exact, and it was "Inland". Then, I retracted and applied "Outland" in September of 2014. I just received COPR!! YAY...

WRONG! I have had a temp DL since I came to BC, not sure if it's the same in all provinces? Anyway, You'll want to apply for a Visitor record NOW; especially if your initial Visa is expiring in July, this should be good for a year, mine was! With it having the year expiry you can bypass the temp. and get the real deal.

As soon as you receive SA (1st stage approval, took around 2-3 months) "Sponsorship Approval", you'll be able to get medical. Again here in BC; not sure why it would differ in another Prov.

In applying "Outland" you can do just that! Make sure your sponsor is with you in coming back into Canada, and if flying make sure you BOTH go through the same border line together using the same declaration card. Bring your proof/receipt of applying with your, preferably you'll have SA by this time..

[/b]Work is not really a concern for me right now because I am taking a break on working because I'd like to open my own business in a calendar year's time, which is probably another great reason to apply outland

Good luck to you! Ask any other ?'s you have WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE DONE THAT! All the answers above are from my own personal experience.

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
michminn said:
Howdy!

Yes, yes, yes, yes...OMG! APPLY OUTLAND!!! ONLY OUTLAND!

I started my application in 2014 March to be exact, and it was "Inland". Then, I retracted and applied "Outland" in September of 2014. I just received COPR!! YAY...

WRONG! I have had a temp DL since I came to BC, not sure if it's the same in all provinces? Anyway, You'll want to apply for a Visitor record NOW; especially if your initial Visa is expiring in July, this should be good for a year, mine was! With it having the year expiry you can bypass the temp. and get the real deal.

As soon as you receive SA (1st stage approval, took around 2-3 months) "Sponsorship Approval", you'll be able to get medical. Again here in BC; not sure why it would differ in another Prov.

In applying "Outland" you can do just that! Make sure your sponsor is with you in coming back into Canada, and if flying make sure you BOTH go through the same border line together using the same declaration card. Bring your proof/receipt of applying with your, preferably you'll have SA by this time..

[/b]Work is not really a concern for me right now because I am taking a break on working because I'd like to open my own business in a calendar year's time, which is probably another great reason to apply outland

Good luck to you! Ask any other ?'s you have WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE DONE THAT! All the answers above are from my own personal experience.
Thanks Michminn,

Sometimes we just need a little positive reinforcement that one can do it, that we can get it done.

May I ask, how did you find the outland application process different from the inland one you already filled out? I have completed the inland one besides the OWP but am going to set it aside and try to finish the outland one before the weeks end. I have a few days off work and the house to myself.

apply for a Visitor record NOW;
Is this just known as a visitor record? I don't think of heard of it before... I have a regular Manitoba license. They just exchanged my Ohio one when I moved here with the condition that the license would expire when my PGWP does. I phoned their head offices in Winnipeg and was told that I am eligible to apply for the 180 day renewal (of which I can keep applying) as long as I can provide proof of status and the proof of submission of an application for PR.

Thanks again for your help. It's really appreciated!

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
coinguy said:
The outland application would almost certainly be faster to give permanent residence status, but you would not have a work permit for the duration. The inland application will (given the current pilot program) grant an open work permit after a few months.

Correct. Outland applications do not provide an avenue to an OWP application, and it is that application-for-permit that grants implied status. To maintain legal status with an outland application in progress and no other avenue (such as the PGWP), you'll need to apply to extend your status as a visitor.

Qualifications here will be tricky, see below.

This would not be an issue with a valid OWP or a valid visitor's status. It could conceivably be an issue if you just leave, come back, and get an intransigent CBSA agent. You must de-facto reside in Canada to have a valid inland application in process, which means that leaving and coming back before receiving an OWP might in the worst case result in cancellation of your application if you are refused entry.

Given current processing timelines, an outland application would suit your schedule better. One important difference between the application types is that you should submit an upfront medical exam for an outland application, whereas you are supposed to wait for a request for an inland one (although many still submit upfront, as I understand it). If you have not yet ordered your FBI security check, then you also want to do so immediately, since the FBI is taking CIC-levels of time to process applications.

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
michminn said:
For Ontario in particular, this is tricky. The wording of OHIP eligibility mirrors that of CIC's "approval in principle", which is different than simple sponsorship approval. The SA letter only confirms that the sponsor is eligible as a sponsor, not that the applicant is eligible to apply for PR.

This may or may not be a barrier to OHIP coverage. Agents at Service Ontario are seemingly trained to accept only COPR and approval-in-principle letters (for family applicants), but that may not quite be the exact legal bar. There is a rather long thread on the Health subforum here about those who have received OHIP coverage under circumstances such as outland applications, but they generally have to go through the OHIP appeal process.

Apparently Ontario can directly inquire with CIC regarding eligibility, and CIC does make an internal AIP-type decision in an Outland application: it's just never communicated.

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Majromax said:
Given current processing timelines, an outland application would suit your schedule better. One important difference between the application types is that you should submit an upfront medical exam for an outland application, whereas you are supposed to wait for a request for an inland one (although many still submit upfront, as I understand it). If you have not yet ordered your FBI security check, then you also want to do so immediately, since the FBI is taking CIC-levels of time to process applications.
Thank you for your advice and assistance. The last bit about the medical exam upfront might be a bit tricky. By upfront do mean, with the application or after the application is received? Not that I have anything to worry about medically. I am a young healthy person with no ailments or diseases but I know they will likely want a formal review from a doctor.

I ordered my FBI security check in March so I'm hoping to get it back sometime this summer.

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
coinguy said:
Thank you for your advice and assistance. The last bit about the medical exam upfront might be a bit tricky. By upfront do mean, with the application or after the application is received? Not that I have anything to worry about medically. I am a young healthy person with no ailments or diseases but I know they will likely want a formal review from a doctor.
Upfront means with the application. All permanent residence applicants need to undergo a medical exam by a CIC-authorized physician. For outland applications, the results of this exam are typically included with the application itself; for inland applications the PR applicant is supposed to wait for CIC to request medicals.

The medical process itself is trivial, consisting of a very basic physical exam, a chest x-ray (to check for signs of TB), and a blood test. However, the exam is not covered by provincial health insurance, so you will need to cover the full fee (mine was ~$200-$250, if I remember correctly, inclusive of the x-ray and blood draw.)

The validity period of the medical exam (12 months, with a possible extension to 15 months in certain cases) sets a limit on the validity of the COPR once issued. (That is, the applicant must land before their medical exam results expire). If the process takes too long, CIC will request that the exam be redone.

I ordered my FBI security check in March so I'm hoping to get it back sometime this summer.
Good. Many recent outland applicants are submitting their applications without the FBI check, along with a letter of explanation that processing times are long and results will be forwarded when issued.

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Majromax said:
Upfront means with the application. All permanent residence applicants need to undergo a medical exam by a CIC-authorized physician. For outland applications, the results of this exam are typically included with the application itself; for inland applications the PR applicant is supposed to wait for CIC to request medicals.

The medical process itself is trivial, consisting of a very basic physical exam, a chest x-ray (to check for signs of TB), and a blood test. However, the exam is not covered by provincial health insurance, so you will need to cover the full fee (mine was ~$200-$250, if I remember correctly, inclusive of the x-ray and blood draw.)

The validity period of the medical exam (12 months, with a possible extension to 15 months in certain cases) sets a limit on the validity of the COPR once issued. (That is, the applicant must land before their medical exam results expire). If the process takes too long, CIC will request that the exam be redone.

Good. Many recent outland applicants are submitting their applications without the FBI check, along with a letter of explanation that processing times are long and results will be forwarded when issued.
Well it looks like the medical exam is going to be my undoing. None of the physicians are anywhere near where I live (northern Manitoba) and I won't be able to get to Winnipeg anytime soon. Besides that asking for an appointment over the next few weeks is doubtful. Nevertheless I will investigate.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coinguy said:
Well it looks like the medical exam is going to be my undoing. None of the physicians are anywhere near where I live (northern Manitoba) and I won't be able to get to Winnipeg anytime soon. Besides that asking for an appointment over the next few weeks is doubtful. Nevertheless I will investigate.
You could submit the medical afterward, explaining in your application that there are no physicians near where you currently live so will do it upon arrival in ON. I'd make an appointment and give them the date upfront in the letter of explanation. It shouldn't be a problem as they won't use the medical results until Phase 2 of your application (especially if you go to a Panel Physician on the eMedical system). Once you go to the Panel Physician, you could send in a case specific enquiry confirming the details so they know to pull the results.

Also, to chime in on a couple other topics you've mentioned:

Note that for ON, you don't need proof of status to get a DL. If you have a full, regular Manitoba licence (NB - Canadian spelling has 2 c's ;)), then you should be able to exchange it for an ON G licence (using, for example, your US passport as proof of identity). If not, it may be worth exploring whether you could get your Ohio license back from Manitoba (my understanding is that NB allows folks to exchange their US and Canadian ones depending on where they'll be if they 'exchanged' the US one for the NB one). It may be worth a call to the DriveTest centre you'd go to after you move to check whether you'd need your Ohio driving history (since your Manitoba DL is presumably less than 4 years old).

Re implied status - you don't receive implied status by submitting an outland application. However, if you apply for an extension of your visitor's status you would get implied status as soon as that application is submitted (until a decision is reached). See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Re travel back to the US in case of family member's illness would be less risky with an outland application (as the application would continue to be processed even if you were denied re-entry into Canada).

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your theory for submitting the medical afterward is valid as many are doing the same for the police certificate (me too). It is very reasonable I think. I live in northern Manitoba and it looks like I can get a doctors appointment at one of those listed on the CIC website in mid August, even though my PGWP expires in July. However if I apply for the visitor visa online, before the expiration of my PGWP then I should be in good shape.

Thanks for the advice on the drivers licence. :D I'll just phone their offices in Ontario and see what they have to say. It's not the end of the world if I cannot get one but it definitely makes it harder on the family. Unfortunately my Ohio one expired 2 years ago and I think they shredded it.

I'm going to apply to extend my visitor's status right away just as a safe guard.

OhCanadiana said:
You could submit the medical afterward, explaining in your application that there are no physicians near where you currently live so will do it upon arrival in ON. I'd make an appointment and give them the date upfront in the letter of explanation. It shouldn't be a problem as they won't use the medical results until Phase 2 of your application (especially if you go to a Panel Physician on the eMedical system). Once you go to the Panel Physician, you could send in a case specific enquiry confirming the details so they know to pull the results.

Also, to chime in on a couple other topics you've mentioned:

If not, it may be worth exploring whether you could get your Ohio license back from Manitoba (my understanding is that NB allows folks to exchange their US and Canadian ones depending on where they'll be if they 'exchanged' the US one for the NB one). It may be worth a call to the DriveTest centre you'd go to after you move to check whether you'd need your Ohio driving history (since your Manitoba DL is presumably less than 4 years old).

Re implied status - you don't receive implied status by submitting an outland application. However, if you apply for an extension of your visitor's status you would get implied status as soon as that application is submitted (until a decision is reached). See
Re travel back to the US in case of family member's illness would be less risky with an outland application (as the application would continue to be processed even if you were denied re-entry into Canada).

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coinguy said:
Your theory for submitting the medical afterward is valid as many are doing the same for the police certificate (me too). It is very reasonable I think. I live in northern Manitoba and it looks like I can get a doctors appointment at one of those listed on the CIC website in mid August, even though my PGWP expires in July. However if I apply for the visitor visa online, before the expiration of my PGWP then I should be in good shape.

Thanks for the advice on the drivers licence. :D I'll just phone their offices in Ontario and see what they have to say. It's not the end of the world if I cannot get one but it definitely makes it harder on the family. Unfortunately my Ohio one expired 2 years ago and I think they shredded it.

I'm going to apply to extend my visitor's status right away just as a safe guard.
Happy to help :)

You should be able to get an ON DL. The uncertainty is around what proof, if any, you'll need from Ohio (if you have 4 years of experience, you'll get a full G licence which allows you to drive on your own so depending on the Manitoba licence you have that may be a given or something you may need to show). If you call DriveTest and go though the menus and select the option to get details of specific centre, at the very end of the recording you'll have (or at least used to have) the option of getting transferred to the specific centre. If you ask the centre you'll likely go to you'll know exactly what they will want :)