Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MisterDBarton said:
But I was told we have to move within 180 days to avoid paying taxes on our belongings.
Who told you this?

As long as you declare your belongings at the time of landing (on B4/B4A forms) as "goods to follow" there shouldn't be any tax on them when you bring them into Canada. I've never seen a published statement indicating there is a time limit on "goods to follow" and I know people who have delayed more than a year in bringing their goods into Canada.

What you can't do is bring them in later (tax free) if you didn't declare them.

needadviceandhelp

Jun 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
LANDED..........
07-08-2013
:( I was all excited now that our status is "Processing" (end of April) and they received our application in November, and medicals have been received..but now I see that it could still be a very long wait :(

nsr

Jan 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
AOR Received.
8-01-2012(Mississauga) 28-03-2012 (buffalo)
File Transfer...
26-01-2012
Med's Request
25-07-2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2011, 26 July,2013
Interview........
July 2013-passed
Passport Req..
21-08-2013, sent on 27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06 september, 2013
LANDED..........
27 september, 2013
Hi guys,

I need your advice. My interview is scheduled at LA in july. In the letter they send me they didnt ask for any documents specifically, its more generic letter like bring passport, birth certificates, education documents of dependents if any...

I know my medical is expired long long time ago as it also says in gcms I applied in Feb. Also gcms notes says fingerprints required for RCMP check. So my question is should I go for medical and fingerprints without these to asked from me or should I wait until interview. But this will definitely waste my 2 months at least. My lawyer wants me to wait.

What should I do? Also if I get it done is it better to mail it in advance or bring it with me at interview date.

Also how long it takes to get RCMP clearance letter. I have No minor or major issues with RCMP....

Any ideas or experience,

Please share....

Thanks

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
nsr said:
Hi guys,

I need your advice. My interview is scheduled at LA in july. In the letter they send me they didnt ask for any documents specifically, its more generic letter like bring passport, birth certificates, education documents of dependents if any...

I know my medical is expired long long time ago as it also says in gcms I applied in Feb. Also gcms notes says fingerprints required for RCMP check. So my question is should I go for medical and fingerprints without these to asked from me or should I wait until interview. But this will definitely waste my 2 months at least. My lawyer wants me to wait.

What should I do? Also if I get it done is it better to mail it in advance or bring it with me at interview date.

Also how long it takes to get RCMP clearance letter. I have No minor or major issues with RCMP....

Any ideas or experience,

Please share....

Thanks
I would suggest you to wait to do your medicals and RCMP until you are asked to

I have no idea about how RCMP works but about medicals If you do it now and tell you have already done ..it will take time to find out where your medicals are (you will do it to save your time but may be it can take more time for them to find your medicals)

as when they ask you to do the medicals they send you letter which has some number on it, that way it will be easy for them to locate your medicals.

Rest its upto you.. But if you read this thread (or I think thats LA applicants thread) carefully few people have suggested others not to do medicals until they are asked to.

honjooshi

Mar 1, 2013
nsr said:

Any ideas or experience,

Please share....

Thanks
I just got an RCMP request last week. If you have it done electronically processing time is about 72 hours, and your VO should be able to finish looking at it within a week of the fingerprinting submission. So it won't extend your time so much. Other forum posts seem to indicate they don't want you getting the RCMP check until it is requested, so you probably will have to wait. It's frustrating, but not dramatically time-increasing.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Hi All,

I'm driving up to Montreal with my wife (US citizen) tomorrow to hopefully find and lease an apartment. Other than travel docs, are there any other immigration docs we should take with us to the border (not landing, as we don't have the family's visas yet)? At the border, when we're asked what that intent of our visit is, is there anything we shouldn't share? My inclination is to say exactly what we're doing: looking for an apartment for when my sponsored family finally gets their visas (I'm approved as sponsor and they've gotten PPR, so we're getting close - fingers crossed!). We've got nothing to hide, and finding an apartment is a normal thing to want/need to do before a move. We're not taking any stuff other than clothes for our stay and a laptop to aid with the apartment search, so it's not going to look like we're trying to move there tomorrow.

Thanks,

IvanP

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
IvanP said:
Hi All,

I'm driving up to Montreal with my wife (US citizen) tomorrow to hopefully find and lease an apartment. Other than travel docs, are there any other immigration docs we should take with us to the border (not landing, as we don't have the family's visas yet)? At the border, when we're asked what that intent of our visit is, is there anything we shouldn't share? My inclination is to say exactly what we're doing: looking for an apartment for when my sponsored family finally gets their visas (I'm approved as sponsor and they've gotten PPR, so we're getting close - fingers crossed!). We've got nothing to hide, and finding an apartment is a normal thing to want/need to do before a move. We're not taking any stuff other than clothes for our stay and a laptop to aid with the apartment search, so it's not going to look like we're trying to move there tomorrow.

Thanks,

IvanP
Having dealt with these people on multiple occasions, I've learned that as long as you don't look suspicious, you'll be fine. If you are only taking clothes and a laptop and basic necessities then you will be fine. Definitely tell them the truth, in your case they would dig up the truth if they suspected you were lying anyway since you're all in the system. I don't think you'll have any problems as long as you get someone who isn't a total ass, and even then I'm sure all they'll do is ask a bunch of questions and possibly look through your car.

Have fun on your trip! Apartment hunting isn't the most exciting thing, but it will be nice for you to start planning your future =)

Oh, and as for documents, bring anything that proves that your family is in the process of immigration, and that they are almost done. Also bring some stuff that shows you still have ties to the US just in case they suspect you might not return. Stuff like leases, recent bills or a letter from an employer are all great proof. Even if you don't end up needing it, it's still better to have it in case they ask.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
IvanP said:
Hi All,

Thanks,

IvanP
I'd bring a copy of the sponsor approval and PPR e-mail. Since your resettlement in Canada is a requirement for their visa, what you're doing is consonant with IRPA. I'd be really shocked if they hassled you at all at this stage (they will be able to see the approval if they look for it - that information is available to them at secondary inspection.)

Good luck apartment hunting!

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Thanks Shylox and Computergeek - you've confirmed we're taking the right approach.

As an aside, we've never had trouble with just truthfully telling immigration officials exactly what we were going to do, even - against the advice of everyone we asked at the time) - when my wife (then a Russia citizen) and I went to the US Embassy in Moscow to get her a visitor's visa to come to the US for our own wedding. The visa officer asked why we weren't applying for a fiancee visa, and we told them that although we knew that option was available to us (I'm also a US citizen), we weren't currently intending to immigrate because she was still a grad student and I was working. We had evidence of her studies and my continuing work in Moscow, and they gave her the visitor visa. I think they were sort of surprised by our approach, but it worked.

Nicole119

May 18, 2013
Im new here... But my husbands application is taking so long, it was forwarded to LA visa office in April, anybody know how long still? Will it take?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Nicole119 said:
Hello everyone!
Can someone tell me, if someone submit an application in aug 2012?
Shylox filed in August 2012 I believe. She has a post on this page, just a few above yours.

http://tinyurl.com/aug2012sheet

There is a SpreadSheet for August 2012 as well.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.