05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
computergeek said:
They now use plain paper (legal size) for the COPR and the no longer issue counterfoils to people with passports from visa-exempt countries - it looks like these are changes that occurred just after you landed, Bargeld.

The rules for health care vary by province. Ontario is the only province of which I'm aware that will not extend health benefits to outland applications until you land. BC (for example) extends health benefits to dependents (including spouses) with an application pending, and the same appears to apply for AB, SK, NS and PEI.

I had to travel across the border twice before my PR card arrived and I've traveled twice since then. I've NEVER been asked for my PR card and nobody has EVER looked at my COPR.
For OHIP even after you land you still have to wait 3-6 months to be eligible, and even then they are quite anal about the evidence provided to prove provincial residence. At least I know I'll have less hoops to jump through if we do move to Alberta.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Bargeld said:
For OHIP even after you land you still have to wait 3-6 months to be eligible, and even then they are quite anal about the evidence provided to prove provincial residence. At least I know I'll have less hoops to jump through if we do move to Alberta.
It's 3 months. My husband landed Jan 4th and got his health card today :) (It starts on the 4th though and we're in Ontario)

The only issue we ran into with applying for OHIP was with my ODSP. Otherwise Service Canada took his passport, his COPR and his USA DL for proof.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
So, I had my interview.. Sharing my experience with you all

My interview was scheduled at 9.30am at LA VO. me and my husband reached there 1 hour before and we parked in the same building. We went to the consulate at 8.45am. That time there was just one person who had appointment. we sat there and people started coming (i dont know for what reasons as I was so tensed) I was looking for the receptionist to whom I had to give the evidences which were requested in the letter to be submitted before but she never asked me so. finally after 1 hour of waiting, my name was called and I went in.(I knew they would interview me more than my hubby but still we both were prepared if cross questioning happens incase) the Visa Officer came and she started asking me questions (in a polite manner) the very first question was "is your sponsor with you ?" ( the interview letter stated me and my husband's name so he had to be with me ) I said yes. then she asked me questions related to me that from how long I am in US (as I am immigrant here), where do i work ? why I keep going back to my country (NZ) after that she asked my passport and then she started asking questions about my relation (from starting till now), my family(parents), husband... Questions she asked were simple but tricky but i knew so much about my husband that i answered her in an ease manner and in confident way and then after 45 minutes of the interview she asked me to call my husband as she wanted to ask few questions to him. and then my husband came in she asked him few questions and then (FINALLY) she said she has no obligations related to my relationship and can go ahead with the issuing a permanent resident papers but the medicals expired few weeks ago so she will ask for extension and hopefully if she gets extension then she will request for my passport. and she congratulated us. wow

Believe me I had 2 Bags and another one of my wedding album as proofs but Visa Officer did not ask me anything not even my marriage certificate. (I guess I was lucky )

I knew already that I would not be asked for my passport that very time but still I am happy that I came more closer to the ending of this process which started a year and a week ago.

Thanks to everybody here who helped me sharing their interview experiences and who gave me suggestions ..
Hoping the extension from Ottawa would not take long ....
BTW any idea how long do they take to give extension?

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
parker24 said:
It's 3 months. My husband landed Jan 4th and got his health card today :) (It starts on the 4th though and we're in Ontario)

The only issue we ran into with applying for OHIP was with my ODSP. Otherwise Service Canada took his passport, his COPR and his USA DL for proof.
You got much nicer people. I had to specifically provide utility bills that had my name and an Ontario address on it. Since they were not in my name, as I moved in with my wife, instead I had to opt for a signed bank statement with bank letterhead which showed my detailed information. Was quite off the wall IMO.

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
Is there a spreadsheet for April 2013 applications yet?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
chala said:
Is there a spreadsheet for April 2013 applications yet?
As it was said in another thread, no. But feel free to start one!

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
computergeek said:
The rules for health care vary by province. Ontario is the only province of which I'm aware that will not extend health benefits to outland applications until you land. BC (for example) extends health benefits to dependents (including spouses) with an application pending, and the same appears to apply for AB, SK, NS and PEI.
I spoke with a CSR at Health SK, she told me the DAY I'm approved for PR, that's the day I'm eligible to apply for health coverage from the provence and the card would be issued in 10-12 days and I'm covered. I just need the COPR (hence why I want to know in what form I'm getting notified), my Temp Res permit and a utility bill showing I'm residing in SK. No waiting 3-4 months-she said that's if I'm coming from another provence.

computergeek said:
I had to travel across the border twice before my PR card arrived and I've traveled twice since then. I've NEVER been asked for my PR card and nobody has EVER looked at my COPR.
THIS is good news because if I wait for the card, my medicals will quite possibly expire. Then what??

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Tullysgirl said:
THIS is good news because if I wait for the card, my medicals will quite possibly expire. Then what??
Once you have landed - once they've stamped your COPR and noted that you are an immigrant in your passport - the medicals are moot. The card only provides evidence of status that is generally recognized. CIC will know if you are a PR even without the PR card as will CBSA. It's like having a passport - if you don't plan on leaving your home country, you generally don't need a passport. If your passport expires, you don't cease being a citizen of your home country. Thus, whether you have a PR card or not, you are a permanent resident until something happens to change that situation (e.g., a removal order comes into force against you or you become a Canadian Citizen.)

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
Well, the car wasn't allowed to enter Canada. Not even temporarily while we wait for the title fiasco to be sorted out. And because my husbands car is pulling a UHAUL trailer full of his belongings, we had no choice but to go back to the US and figure something out. Still not sure what that something entales.

Barreled said:
Personally I don't see why they'd have a problem with it on goods to follow, the problem might be if they think you're essentially staying with that car in Canada without going through proper procedures first -- they can be quite anal about doing things the right way. If you explain your predicament to an officer and are honest I don't see why there should be an issue.

If you think you're going to be told different things call more than one point of entry and ask for more pieces of information (without telling them you called others).

Here's another topic discussing the issue:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/got-copr-landing-questions-and-vehicle-concerns-t136260.0.html

From the sounds of it, you want to convey the car is merely visiting and you will export+import later. I don't see it as a guaranteed success but it's probably your best shot.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Sunshine87 said:
Well, the car wasn't allowed to enter Canada. Not even temporarily while we wait for the title fiasco to be sorted out. And because my husbands car is pulling a UHAUL trailer full of his belongings, we had no choice but to go back to the US and figure something out. Still not sure what that something entales.
They are crazy strict aren't they? Do you have someone with a Canadian car that could come and get you guys while the car is sitting in someone's driveway until you get the title thing figured out? We had a huge hassle with the title too. The bank was being complete idiots.

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Help needed

For Height and eye color chart on PPR, if wife and child are already Canadian citizens, should i still put her height and eye color or could i just write "Already Canadian citizens" or something like it.

Thanks.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Only needs to be done for people being sponsored, i..e applicant(s). Citizens do not need to be sponsored (i.e. PPR is not for those two) so they don't care about their eye colour, and/or likely know already.

Should be in the mail/email you were sent.

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. Question.

I have had a 2010 leased car for the last 2 years and then bought out the car by paying off the amount using a bank loan in Dec/Jan of this year.
I paid off all the loan in 2 months and now have the car mine without any loans on it.

Can i take this car to Canada? Do i have to own it for a specific amount of time before i import it to Canada?
Thanks.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
leodr said:
Thanks. Question.

I have had a 2010 leased car for the last 2 years and then bought out the car by paying off the amount using a bank loan in Dec/Jan of this year.
I paid off all the loan in 2 months and now have the car mine without any loans on it.

Can i take this car to Canada? Do i have to own it for a specific amount of time before i import it to Canada?
Thanks.
No, you do not have to own it for a specific amount of time (in fact, some banks do allow importing cars into Canada even if they still hold a lien on it - our bank will let us take the new car we purchased through them last Aug 2012). However, you need to make sure it is a car that can be imported into Canada and know that your car may be subject to some modifications to meet Canadian regulations. You can read here about importing vehicles to Canada http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
leodr said:
Thanks. Question.

Thanks.
If you are immigrating you don't have to have owned it for a specific period. Canadian citizens who have been residing outside of Canada and who are now returning (may apply to some Sponsors here who are moving to Canada before their family member) must have owned an item for six months or more (unless you have lived outside of Canada for more than 5 years..then the six month ownership requirement is waived.)