US outland applicants' thread :)

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks cempjwi and IslandAnnie.

I am looking at official websites to try to understand importing the car to Canada. It seems daunting to import a car to Canada. I dont know where to start. Any ideas?

Also any idea how much car insurance cost. Money is going to be tight after the move. If i have driven without any major accidents in the US for 4-5 yrs, would that be taken into account to reduce car premium insurance cost.

If i have been driving in the US for 4-5 yrs, do i still have to take the test for license in Ontario or can i just surrender my US license to get Ontario full license.

So if i understand correctly an SUV such as Acura is an MPV and not passenger car based on riv.com.

Thanks again.

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
Let me add what I have learned about the vehicle as I landed yesterday, importing my vehicle a 2010 Nissan. We have no liens,that might make it more difficult. If you own the vehicle outright, you need to plan where you are crossing the border, find out there requirements. We had to send the original title and a copy of the bill of sale to US export control. Prior to leaving we requested letters stating there were no recalls on the vehicles we are importing. BTW, our insurance company recommended we get a letter from our US insurance carrier and a driver abstract from the DMV. Otherwise I understand they may charge you rates of a new driver. so back to the car, BTW we had also purchased a trailer to haul our stuff. This did not need to go to US import as it can motor on its own. we then went to Canada customs both the vehicle and the trailer were on our B4 forms, they did the paperwork, said they would fax it to RIV.ca where i can pay a $200 and some fee. they send a form to you and you take it to somewhere for a safety check and then to register. There is a good link on the first page of this thread about vehicles also. I am importing a second vehicle in June . It's seems not too bad if the vehicle is acceptable and if you have clear title. Good luck

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
Hello
I was wondering if someone could help me clear this. I need to start packing and organizing things I will take once I get my copr. Since I will need to quit my job I'm planning to cash some investments like a few stocks and probably my 401k. Do I need to include the amount of money in my b4 forms? I don't really know how much money I will be able to cash yet so I'm even unsure how I will transfer all my money to my Canadian bank. Ideas please? Thank you

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
crna80 said:
Let me add what I have learned about the vehicle as I landed yesterday, importing my vehicle a 2010 Nissan. We have no liens,that might make it more difficult. If you own the vehicle outright, you need to plan where you are crossing the border, find out there requirements. We had to send the original title and a copy of the bill of sale to US export control. Prior to leaving we requested letters stating there were no recalls on the vehicles we are importing. BTW, our insurance company recommended we get a letter from our US insurance carrier and a driver abstract from the DMV. Otherwise I understand they may charge you rates of a new driver. so back to the car, BTW we had also purchased a trailer to haul our stuff. This did not need to go to US import as it can motor on its own. we then went to Canada customs both the vehicle and the trailer were on our B4 forms, they did the paperwork, said they would fax it to RIV.ca where i can pay a $200 and some fee. they send a form to you and you take it to somewhere for a safety check and then to register. There is a good link on the first page of this thread about vehicles also. I am importing a second vehicle in June . It's seems not too bad if the vehicle is acceptable and if you have clear title. Good luck
Thanks for the info. You mentioned something about the bill of sale to US export control. How do i get that? I would call the border crossing and see if i can get more info. You mentioned about importing a second vehicle. You probably have that on B4 too otherwise it would be heavily taxed right. The paperwork goes to RIV.ca from canada customs. Did you have to do a lot of modifications to the car? Where would i know what modifications do i need in the car? Thanks again.

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
leodr said:
Thanks for the info. You mentioned something about the bill of sale to US export control. How do i get that? I would call the border crossing and see if i can get more info. You mentioned about importing a second vehicle. You probably have that on B4 too otherwise it would be heavily taxed right. The paperwork goes to RIV.ca from canada customs. Did you have to do a lot of modifications to the car? Where would i know what modifications do i need in the car? Thanks again.
That's what they told me send to Alex Bay NY. Not sure if all border crossings are the same. You get a bill of sale when you purchase a car, or a receipt. If you bought it through a private sale then not sure would qualify as a bill of sale. Check with the crossing you will be using. We had the second vehicle, a pontoon boat and trailer on the goods to follow B4. My understanding was that that would all be tax free. Truly I never believe until it happens, but that's how I understand it goes, and that is what I have planned for. Canada customs faxes the paperwork to RIV.ca. Today I went there to pay the fee, online. Once that is done they released an inspection form for the trailer. I didn't send the no recall letter ahead of time which I guess you can do. I will either fax or scan and email that today and then they release the inspection form for the vehicle. It says the no recall letter is only good for 30 days I think, so don't get it too early. Not an expert, just relaying what I have gone through and what I am doing. The modifications are believe are on the RIV website. For sure your vehicle must have daytime running lights.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
leodr said:
The only modification we had to do on our 2007 Cobalt was the daytime running lamps. Our bridge asked for the Kelly Blue Book value. It is worth it to call the POE you'll be going to and asking specifically what they require. If you need any information on how to get what, let me or crna80 know, we've been through it :)

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you crna80 and parker24.
You have been a great help. I think the first step is calling the border crossing and finding out from them. You have imported the cars successfully. Do you think it is worth going through all the hassles to get the car to Canada. Thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
leodr said:
You have been a great help. I think the first step is calling the border crossing and finding out from them. You have imported the cars successfully. Do you think it is worth going through all the hassles to get the car to Canada. Thanks.
It depends on how long you've had the car and where you're going to live. Where hubby and I live, we NEED a car, we live in a village that has no public transit at all. Plus he's had the car since 08. If you're going to be living in Toronto or Ottawa, where public transit is all over the city, then it might be worth just selling the car. But if you're going to be in a tiny place or even a tiny city that someone in BC has never heard of, then it'd be worth it to import it.

I saw you asked about insurance. My big advice is to visit some insurance places and talk to them. State Farm did wonderfully for us, very accommodating. The first payment, might be a little high, ours was $250, but once my husband got his Ontario DL, it went down to $170. It's still that high due to the fact I was in an at fault accident in 2010 (oops :-[ ) and I'm under 25. But this August, after I turn 25 and the accident is three years old, our insurance will probably be around $90-$110 a month. Just to sort of give you an idea. So do get papers from your insurance company showing how long you've been insured and how you have no accidents.

And the driver's record has to go back AT LEAST three years, make sure of that. That will be for the Driver's Licence at Drive Test (if you're going to Ontario, not sure what it's called in other provinces) :) You will not have to take a test, just a vision test though. The fee in Ontario is 75 dollars and you will have to surrender your US DL.

I hope that helped a little! :)

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
It depends on how long you've had the car and where you're going to live. Where hubby and I live, we NEED a car, we live in a village that has no public transit at all. Plus he's had the car since 08. If you're going to be living in Toronto or Ottawa, where public transit is all over the city, then it might be worth just selling the car. But if you're going to be in a tiny place or even a tiny city that someone in BC has never heard of, then it'd be worth it to import it.

I saw you asked about insurance. My big advice is to visit some insurance places and talk to them. State Farm did wonderfully for us, very accommodating. The first payment, might be a little high, ours was $250, but once my husband got his Ontario DL, it went down to $170. It's still that high due to the fact I was in an at fault accident in 2010 (oops :-[ ) and I'm under 25. But this August, after I turn 25 and the accident is three years old, our insurance will probably be around $90-$110 a month. Just to sort of give you an idea. So do get papers from your insurance company showing how long you've been insured and how you have no accidents.

And the driver's record has to go back AT LEAST three years, make sure of that. That will be for the Driver's Licence at Drive Test (if you're going to Ontario, not sure what it's called in other provinces) :) You will not have to take a test, just a vision test though. The fee in Ontario is 75 dollars and you will have to surrender your US DL.

I hope that helped a little! :)
Wow. That helped a lot. I have not had any major accidents but did scratch my car while backing up at my parking garage against a pole and did get it fixed using insurance. I dot know if they would consider that as an accident too.

I have a question about B4. So if i put stuff on it like my TV and home stuff but then decide not to take them, is there any penalty for it. If i put it on B4 or B4A, am i supposed to bring it to Canada no matter what? Thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
leodr said:
Wow. That helped a lot. I have not had any major accidents but did scratch my car while backing up at my parking garage against a pole and did get it fixed using insurance. I dot know if they would consider that as an accident too.

I have a question about B4. So if i put stuff on it like my TV and home stuff but then decide not to take them, is there any penalty for it. If i put it on B4 or B4A, am i supposed to bring it to Canada no matter what? Thanks.
Not from my understanding. But I'm not 100% on that. I'm pretty sure they are kind of lenient on the tv and home stuff, the car is another story haha. My husband still hasn't gotten his stuff from TN, we're planning on going down and getting it sometime either this year or next, depending on if he gets any time off. I DO know you won't be able to add anything to the list once you land as they X off the empty spaces on the B4 form.

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks parker24. My spouse is a Canadian. Should i include the stuff that she plans to take with her as her own(laptop etc) in the B4 also. Thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
leodr said:
Thanks parker24. My spouse is a Canadian. Should i include the stuff that she plans to take with her as her own(laptop etc) in the B4 also. Thanks.
I think she should have her own B4 form, but again, not 100% on that. Hopefully someone else would know that answer :)

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
leodr said:
We decided to import ours because our vehicles are relatively new, and paid off. I have read there are problems, such as dealers not honoring a warranty. I guess if you have an older vehicle,the warranty doesn't matter. Or that when you want to resell it, it isn't as marketable. All things to consider. And I've read about all the things that need to be done, but it mostly boils down to if you need a car, when you buy one in Canada it comes with a 13% HST ( Ontario), and probably more expensive. Just have to jump through some hoops, its a personal choice. Thanks Parker24 on the Driver's license info. that's next on my list.
As far as the B4, on my goods to follow I listed my desktop computer in case I bring it. I can't imagine they can penalize you for not bringing something, but stranger things have happened. I hadn't decided when I filled the forms out so I added it on the goods to follow. I found the B4 forms the most tedious thing to do. I went to all the trouble to list every book I was bringing, every DVD, I listed clothes by pants, blouses etc, but it gets down do I have to write my eyeglasses, or the shampoo in my suitcase. I was so paranoid, and then they never even looked in our trailer or vehicle. Not sure if that is the usual, but glad that is how it worked for us.

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am thinking of having my car shipped to some place close to border(I live 20-22hrs away and was thinking of sending my car close by) and then picking up the car before entering Canada. Havent looked into cost of shipping but i think it will be close to 1000 dollars. Also do you know of any moving company that can take our stuff to Ontario say Toronto and maybe we can put that stuff in storage there until we buy a house. I bet it would be expensive. Wonder how much U haul or trailer would cost. Also when you guys add car to B4, do you just add the VIN or registration number of the car on B4 form? Is that what you mean when you say add car to B4 form? Thanks.

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
leodr said:
I am thinking of having my car shipped to some place close to border(I live 20-22hrs away and was thinking of sending my car close by) and then picking up the car before entering Canada. Haven't looked into cost of shipping but i think it will be close to 1000 dollars. Also do you know of any moving company that can take our stuff to Ontario say Toronto and maybe we can put that stuff in storage there until we buy a house. I bet it would be expensive. Wonder how much U haul or trailer would cost. Also when you guys add car to B4, do you just add the VIN or registration number of the car on B4 form? Is that what you mean when you say add car to B4 form? Thanks.
There is a section on the B4 form called conveyances this is where I listed car. It states to list the make, model and serial number, which is where I put the VIN #. We drove from Florida to the border. We took three days as the hours, at the export office were 8-4. We didn't want to arrive at 3:45. We stayed with friends and relatives. Definitely cheaper than $1000.