waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Questions for those with tax know-how!

If my Canadian hubby is itemizing out his tax return, does that mean I have to as well?

Status: Married filing separate? One online service gave the option of Married-filing separate/itemizing or Married-filing separate/not itemizing or Married-filing separate/spouse not filing.

Do I put that he's not filing a return? He's not filing a US return, but a Canadian one.

Do I put his SIN on the form, even tho it's not a US SSN?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Tullysgirl said:

If my Canadian hubby is itemizing out his tax return, does that mean I have to as well?

Status: Married filing separate? One online service gave the option of Married-filing separate/itemizing or Married-filing separate/not itemizing or Married-filing separate/spouse not filing.

Do I put that he's not filing a return? He's not filing a US return, but a Canadian one.

For the Canadian one, there's an area for spouse and then just their Canadian income. That's if you're doing it VIA paper (I had an accountant do mine, but read over the papers we got back). I can't tell you much about the online programs. Computergeek would be able to help a little more :)

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Tullysgirl said:

Per IRS legal guys in Philly, PA:

*Put NRA (non-resident-alien) in lieu of a SSN

*Married Filing Separate. No itemization. He's not filing a US return. AND

I can put that I'm not being claimed on any other (US) tax return to still get my own exemption while hubby can still claim me as a dependent on his Canadian tax return. Two different countries and the US is only concerned about another US tax return.

I have to file via paper because after trying 6 different online Free-file/e-file companies, I wasn't able to use "NRA". Maybe this will help some others out there.

jazztap

May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
7-11-2012
Med's Done....
28-9-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2013
Hi Guys! Apparently it's beyond me to figure out how to message people so I'm posting my status update instead.

Friday I received an email asking for additional documents (child support paper work). Despite the fact that this will cause a delay, it's actually quite relieving to finally hear from them!! Shylox or IvanP please update me in the spreadsheet!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
jazztap said:
Hi Guys! Apparently it's beyond me to figure out how to message people so I'm posting my status update instead.

Friday I received an email asking for additional documents (child support paper work). Despite the fact that this will cause a delay, it's actually quite relieving to finally hear from them!! Shylox or IvanP please update me in the spreadsheet!
One more post and you can PM people haha. Congrats btw! :)

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
jazztap said:

Did they also request your passport or only those documents? I'm just trying to figure out whether to put this as an AOR or passport request on the spreadsheet haha

jazztap

May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
7-11-2012
Med's Done....
28-9-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2013
Oooohhhh so I can't pm people yet. That makes me feel much better :)
No PPR in this email. They wanted documents on my step-son who will not be immigrating with us (he's living with his Mother). Despite the fact that this email is actually a set back, I'm actually hugely relieved to finally hear SOMETHING back from them!! And hopefully this means that everything else in the application is fine? Hahah. Here's to wishful thinking!

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
jazztap said:
Oooohhhh so I can't pm people yet. That makes me feel much better :)
No PPR in this email. They wanted documents on my step-son who will not be immigrating with us (he's living with his Mother). Despite the fact that this email is actually a set back, I'm actually hugely relieved to finally hear SOMETHING back from them!! And hopefully this means that everything else in the application is fine? Hahah. Here's to wishful thinking!
Alrighty then! And you just need 10 posts in order to PM people. =)

Congrats on getting some movement with your application!

sunspotss

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo to CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
october '11
AOR Received.
december 21st '11
Med's Request
march 21st '13
Med's Done....
march 25th '13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
april 17th '13 ish
VISA ISSUED...
DM august 16 '13
LANDED..........
sooon?
i felt compelled to post :p
ive been lurking these forums for weeks.
outland spousal sponsorship app.
sadly throughout my entire process(up until last week) i hadn't received ANY communication from CPP-o or buffalo office.
no AOR
nothing!

e-CAS says under principal applicant PR
application received : December 21st 2011
started processing your application : May 3rd 2012.
we were called by an immigration agent in march 2012 saying we didnt pay a fee for the principal applicant and that we wouldnt be able to continue processing the PR app until it was payed.
dang woman never picked up her phone though, she never told us which fee to pay and there was no voicemail and ugh it was terrible.
i just guessed at which fee it was and im assuming it was the right one because after two months e cas updated to in process.

medicals were sent in with initial application but have expired beyond extension limitations.
so i was requested last week to re-do medicals.
this monday i had my appointment and so hopefully the DMP sends the results in within this month (i dont trust the *censored word*- he called me fat AND GRABBED MY BELLY ROLL ALL MEAN LIKE.....!!)
hopefully i get PPR soon! hoping to go back to the USA for a visit this summer, return to canada and land as a permanent resident. all before august.
if im lucky as all heck then maybe that dream will come true.
as far as i can see, im somewhere between the lucky peeps that are getting PPR after applying in july 2012 (thats annoying isnt it? watching the people who applied later than you get approved before you? haha) and the poor saps that are stuck in the backlog.

heres to hoping im initially approved and all they need is these dang medicals!

come on, two months tops! --- no wammies, no wammies! :p

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
sunspotss said:
i felt compelled to post :p
ive been lurking these forums for weeks.
outland spousal sponsorship app.
sadly throughout my entire process(up until last week) i hadn't received ANY communication from CPP-o or buffalo office.
no AOR
nothing!

e-CAS says under principal applicant PR
application received : December 21st 2011
started processing your application : May 3rd 2012.
we were called by an immigration agent in march 2012 saying we didnt pay a fee for the principal applicant and that we wouldnt be able to continue processing the PR app until it was payed.
dang woman never picked up her phone though, she never told us which fee to pay and there was no voicemail and ugh it was terrible.
i just guessed at which fee it was and im assuming it was the right one because after two months e cas updated to in process.

medicals were sent in with initial application but have expired beyond extension limitations.
so i was requested last week to re-do medicals.
this monday i had my appointment and so hopefully the DMP sends the results in within this month (i dont trust the *censored word*- he called me fat AND GRABBED MY BELLY ROLL ALL MEAN LIKE.....!!)
hopefully i get PPR soon! hoping to go back to the USA for a visit this summer, return to canada and land as a permanent resident. all before august.
if im lucky as all heck then maybe that dream will come true.
as far as i can see, im somewhere between the lucky peeps that are getting PPR after applying in july 2012 (thats annoying isnt it? watching the people who applied later than you get approved before you? haha) and the poor saps that are stuck in the backlog.

heres to hoping im initially approved and all they need is these dang medicals!

come on, two months tops! --- no wammies, no wammies! :p
yes it does annoy you sometimes seeing people who applied after you have already landed as permanent resident but... what can we do ? i would say its all luck
but atleast you see a movement in your file .. just have some patience (as i am having as i even dont know i would be getting a re do or extension for my medicals..lets see what my visa officer says on my interview)

sunspotss

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo to CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
october '11
AOR Received.
december 21st '11
Med's Request
march 21st '13
Med's Done....
march 25th '13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
april 17th '13 ish
VISA ISSUED...
DM august 16 '13
LANDED..........
sooon?
simb said:
yes it does annoy you sometimes seeing people who applied after you have already landed as permanent resident but... what can we do ? i would say its all luck
but atleast you see a movement in your file .. just have some patience (as i am having as i even dont know i would be getting a re do or extension for my medicals..lets see what my visa officer says on my interview)
man ive been patient for a over a year! im done being patient. haha.

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
I'm really really hoping someone can shed some light on a sticky situation that my husband and I are in.

Husband landed as a PR in Dec but returned to the US to tie loose ends. He paid his car off more than a month ago, but has yet to receive the car title from the DMV in California (car was financed in CA but husband currently resides in AZ) Several increasingly aggressive calls to both the DMV and USPS hasn't resolved the situation. To make things extremely stressful, we are scheduled to head up to Canada on Monday, pulling a uhaul trailer with my husbands car. We've basically run out of time to get the title before we leave.

I know we need a car title to import the car, so we're completely baffled as to what will happen at the border. Will they allow us to put the car on the "goods to follow list" and import the car once we get the title straightened out? Will they straight up refuse the car to enter Canada without a title? we don't know what to do, and that's a scary thing..

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Sunshine87 said:
I'm really really hoping someone can shed some light on a sticky situation that my husband and I are in.

Husband landed as a PR in Dec but returned to the US to tie loose ends. He paid his car off more than a month ago, but has yet to receive the car title from the DMV in California (car was financed in CA but husband currently resides in AZ) Several increasingly aggressive calls to both the DMV and USPS hasn't resolved the situation. To make things extremely stressful, we are scheduled to head up to Canada on Monday, pulling a uhaul trailer with my husbands car. We've basically run out of time to get the title before we leave.

I know we need a car title to import the car, so we're completely baffled as to what will happen at the border. Will they allow us to put the car on the "goods to follow list" and import the car once we get the title straightened out? Will they straight up refuse the car to enter Canada without a title? we don't know what to do, and that's a scary thing..
This should shed some light -- second post:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/importing-vehicle-on-list-of-goods-to-follow-t27966.0.html

If you're in doubt ask the CBSA yourself, when I had any questions about the border, I called the port of entry and talked to an officer.

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply, Bargeld. The link you provided was a little helpful. I did read through the CBSA website but couldn't find the info I was looking for.

I've been given mis-information from CBSA before, and when I called regarding this matter last week they didn't really have a solid answer for me. I will be so happy when this is all over! I thought the PR app process was stressful until we started working out the logistics of the big move.

I guess we'll find out what happens when we reach the border in a few days :eek: