Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
These days with a complete application, if they don't need any extra documents I've been seeing US people get through in 4 months. It's pretty sweet. I wouldn't expect 4 months or anything, but it's possible and it's happening a lot.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
JamesinCanada said:
These days with a complete application, if they don't need any extra documents I've been seeing US people get through in 4 months. It's pretty sweet. I wouldn't expect 4 months or anything, but it's possible and it's happening a lot.
Isn't 4 months still very rare though? It still takes 2 months for SA and I don't see people getting DM only 2 months after SA very often.

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
Decoy24601 said:
Isn't 4 months still very rare though? It still takes 2 months for SA and I don't see people getting DM only 2 months after SA very often.
Mine took about 9 months for DM, and I was definitely in the minority (at least of people who posted on this forum). Most people were taking 4-7 months. Four is probably rare, and five is becoming kind of common with a complete application. In May for this forum I am pretty sure I was the last US outland to on this forum to get approval with nine months time.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
JamesinCanada said:
Mine took about 9 months for DM, and I was definitely in the minority (at least of people who posted on this forum). Most people were taking 4-7 months. Four is probably rare, and five is becoming kind of common with a complete application. In May for this forum I am pretty sure I was the last US outland to on this forum to get approval with nine months time.
Yeah. When processing times seemed like they were about 8 months total I was considering inland for the OWP. Now that I see it's getting down to 5 months becoming more common I'm definitely applying outland. Hopefully it'll get done in 4 months (the amount of time it takes to even get an OWP with inland >.>). I'm just waiting on my FBI PCC now. It's been over 18 months now. They received it on October 16th, I have a signature confirmation that proves this, but when I emailed to inquire about it they told me it was received on October 26th. I have no idea how that could have possible happened or if it was done on purpose, but I still haven't even gotten my card charged. I'm waiting on sending in my application for it since I should technically have already gotten it by now.

Zake424

Jul 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
20-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-20-2015
LANDED..........
Landing on April 18, 2016
I received my COPR in the mail on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016. My application took 165 days (5 months).

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
Hello Everyone,

Glad to find this thread! I have a few questions and tried searching through this thread, but there is many pages. :)

I am planning on entering Canada using a NAFTA visa (I'm qualified for my job and have a standing job offer). This is to occur around June. In October, we plan on getting married. At that point, can I still file via OUTLAND? My permanent residence at that point will still be the US, but only working in Canada under the NAFTA visa temporarily. I'm starting to wonder if this will create problems and what is the best approach for me.

I realize there's an INLAND application, but I do plan on returning to the US for family visits at least once every 1-2 months. However, according to the inland application, it seems the leaving Canada would be strongly NOT recommended.

Any insight is truly appreciated.

I gotta say, seeing all these success stories has made me very happy that this is possible. It seems like a daunting task. :)

EDIT: I finally found the search bar. :) It looks like people have applied for NAFTA and Outland at the same time. :) My question becomes, does it matter which comes first?

Thanks!

ryanntheredhead

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Doc's Request.
29-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
(Decision Made) 06-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2016
LANDED..........
17-10-2016
First off, thank goodness for these forums because I would be completely lost without them...

Secondly, I am sitting here looking at my complete application package to be sponsored through the OUTLAND process and I'm now doubting all of my work and thinking that the package is different if you are applying outland instead of inland. I've got the complete sponsor package and document checklist and I downloaded and attached all the documents requested in the USA Sponsor Guide IMM3910. Is the major difference just that I'm sending my package to a different office?

Thirdly, I am in Canada waiting to hear back about my visitor extension that I filed for back in October. I am technically overdue on my 6 months allowed but I applied for the extension over a month before my time ran out so as far as I know, I'm on implied status until I hear back. Does that change how I should answer my questions about sponsorship? There are so many questions about how my partner and I communicate and proof of that and whatnot, but I plan on staying a visitor in Canada until I get PR. I can still apply OUTLAND, correct? But should I make it sound like we are not living together?

I'm probably over thinking this, but I'm just so nervous about sending off this application and have something be totally wrong.

Lastly, I have a friend who did the inland process and sent it off without an FBI certificate but attached proof that she had requested it. Once she got the certificate, she mailed it in and she said they never asked questions. Think I can risk doing that too? I haven't gotten anything back from the FBI yet and I just can't stand the thought of waiting to hear from them so I can mail off my application and get it in the waiting list.

THANK IN ADVANCE, YOU ARE ALL SAINTS!

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
Theres two different packages for inland and outland, found on separate pages on their website. If you're using a courier for example they get sent to the same place originally anyway.

Yes you can apply outland while in Canada and it sounds you're rightfully still here on implied status, and why would you want to make it sound like you're not living together? Living together is great proof that this is a genuine relationship and application.

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
Thanks! I just wasn't sure if living in Canada would force me to apply from inland. I figured if I used my address in the US it would confirm an outland application. But if you're saying I can use an inland address and apply Outland, that would be amazing. :)

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
MasterDen said:
Thanks! I just wasn't sure if living in Canada would force me to apply from inland. I figured if I used my address in the US it would confirm an outland application. But if you're saying I can use an inland address and apply Outland, that would be amazing. :)
As I said above there are a few difference forms/things you have to include in an inland application compared to a outland application. But there is nothing wrong with being in Canada while filing a outland application, there are numerous cases of people on here doing so successfully. Just a word of caution though, I would search and try find the posts but there have been a few cases where the application has been sent back looking for clarification on addresses as people who are in Canada have listed American addresses under one part and then where they want mail sent to/where they currently are etc as a Canadian address.

ryanntheredhead

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Doc's Request.
29-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2016
LANDED..........
17-10-2016
canadausa#11 said:
Theres two different packages for inland and outland, found on separate pages on their website. If you're using a courier for example they get sent to the same place originally anyway.

Yes you can apply outland while in Canada and it sounds you're rightfully still here on implied status, and why would you want to make it sound like you're not living together? Living together is great proof that this is a genuine relationship and application.
Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but can you attach a link to the page with the outland documents? I've been all over the place and it keeps sending me to the same place for both inland and outland.

Also, thanks for the advice on stating that we are living together. I guess I just didn't want them to think I wasn't eligible for outland because I am currently in Canada.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
ryanntheredhead said:
Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but can you attach a link to the page with the outland documents? I've been all over the place and it keeps sending me to the same place for both inland and outland.

Also, thanks for the advice on stating that we are living together. I guess I just didn't want them to think I wasn't eligible for outland because I am currently in Canada.
Outland application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

ryanntheredhead

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Doc's Request.
29-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2016
LANDED..........
17-10-2016
Many thanks! This is what I did!

Next question...I have a trip to Chicago coming up and I plan on bringing a full printed copy of exactly what I sent/will send in my application just in case. Is there anything that I need to be aware of when I cross back to Canada? I also have proof of my visitor extension record (that I'm pretty sure gets nullified when I leave Canada, but that's okay, I'll just apply for another. I did it to be able to stay past my original 6 months).

My case is a little sensitive because I got a DUI 8 years ago but it was dismissed and I am attaching proof of that with my application and I think I am going to send a rehabilitation form just to be safe even though I've been to Canada many times and no one has ever said I was inadmissible. I figure it can't hurt. I was never charged, the case was dismissed and I have the necessary papers proving that. Anyway, I can't decide whether I should send off my application without my FBI certificate and that's where the issue comes into play. I've read that people send their applications proving they requested a certificate and then send the certificate once they get it. I'm thinking about waiting to get my certificate, but I really wanted to submit my application before I left for Chicago so that I could prove I was doing spousal sponsorship when I re-entered Canada.

I know that's a bit convoluted, but if anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

EDIT: Submitting a rehabilitation form is much more complicated than I thought and I have NO IDEA how to get the necessary information for it. But I'm probably better off waiting to get my FBI certificate and submitting the rehab form along with the sponsorship form, huh? And I'm assuming this will drastically extend my wait time?

4Canucks

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29 2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
30-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 11-2-2016
Zake424 said:
I received my COPR in the mail on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016. My application took 165 days (5 months).
Congrats! That's good news! My wife got her DM the same day that means we should get it any day now!!! Just a little further south east than Texas :)