+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

blupassion06

Apr 11, 2012
soo I just spent the past like forever reading through all of these pages!! YAY ME! SO much amazing information out there! Thanks to everyone for taking their time and posting here...it really helps everyone out. I usually don't post but i'm always on here ...just reading as I wait to hear back from CIC.
I read earlier on some pages ppl talking about being able to visit Canada, go back to US and returning to Canada will 'restart' your 6 month visit as a US citizen..and was baffled bcz of what I was told just last Friday as I went through customs at the Ottawa airport. After being sent to the 'dark side' as I like to call it..the lady basically said you can only stay 6 months total in one year. So no matter how many times you go back to the states..the amt of time you spent in canada rolls over if you visit back w/in the same year. I've been traveling (mainly flying, drove across once) back and forth every month since September 2011..and JUST NOW they decided to give me a visitor record (which only happened bcz I got super emotional since I was told that I couldn't be granted entry into Canada). Every time I went through customs I put every thing fwd when asked i.e "I'm visiting my husband, he's a canadian citizen we got married last year. I have to go back every month for dental appts as I have braces." SOOooo IDK if this whole year every time I went through customs I just go lucky?!?
Has anyone else been told that the 6 months doesn't restart every time you leave and come back??? sigh but I'm in Canada for now! :) so not really complaining just trying to get the facts straight.

Thanks all! this is such a great support group! <3

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --&gt; Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
blupassion06 said:
soo I just spent the past like forever reading through all of these pages!! YAY ME! SO much amazing information out there! Thanks to everyone for taking their time and posting here...it really helps everyone out. I usually don't post but i'm always on here ...just reading as I wait to hear back from CIC.
I read earlier on some pages ppl talking about being able to visit Canada, go back to US and returning to Canada will 'restart' your 6 month visit as a US citizen..and was baffled bcz of what I was told just last Friday as I went through customs at the Ottawa airport. After being sent to the 'dark side' as I like to call it..the lady basically said you can only stay 6 months total in one year. So no matter how many times you go back to the states..the amt of time you spent in canada rolls over if you visit back w/in the same year. I've been traveling (mainly flying, drove across once) back and forth every month since September 2011..and JUST NOW they decided to give me a visitor record (which only happened bcz I got super emotional since I was told that I couldn't be granted entry into Canada). Every time I went through customs I put every thing fwd when asked i.e "I'm visiting my husband, he's a canadian citizen we got married last year. I have to go back every month for dental appts as I have braces." SOOooo IDK if this whole year every time I went through customs I just go lucky?!?
Has anyone else been told that the 6 months doesn't restart every time you leave and come back??? sigh but I'm in Canada for now! :) so not really complaining just trying to get the facts straight.

Thanks all! this is such a great support group! <3
That's just odd... I've never heard of that! But I have a friend who works the border said it's always 6 months for US citizens. What the woman told you is just ODD........

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
I've never heard of the 6 months out of the year thing. I was under the impression that as soon as you exit the country and re-enter, time resets. She was either ill-informed or messing with you? ???

Has anyone whose file has been transferred recently have an update on ECAS? All mine says is Application received.. but I've seen a lot of people who are saying medicals received also. This just confirms my fear that our medicals haven't been received.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
That is ODD!! I have never heard that. I was always under the impression 6 months resets when u leave and reenter. Which is how it goes for most countries that have that rule.

I think she was misinformed. :)

blupassion06

Apr 11, 2012
I’m not sure if she was messing with me. It sure didn’t seem that way..she was the senior officer at the airport, and the only reason she let me stay according to her was bcz she was the ‘boss’. She basically said since for the past year I’ve been technically living in Canada (which is true) except for a week each month..I’ve already used up my 6 months…which makes sense BUT like everyone else here I was under the impression that it just restarts every time you enter the country….annnywhoo! She was generous enough to give me a visitor record until October after glancing at my application.

My application was also in Buffalo, we got an email in April from them stating that “ completed the initial assessment of your application, and expect to finalize your application without a personal interview” since thn no update. And I have no idea where my app is…I mentioned that to the customs lady and asked her if she could tell me where my application was and she said I shouldn’t worry about that…It’s in the final stages. Sooo now I’m just praying that I get something from them before October…as who knows if they’ll approve my request for an extension.
Sunshine87..I know that in my ECAS the medicals rcvd showed up way after the app was sent to Buffalo..so I’m sure that they have it, just haven’t updated it online.

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
JUST....ONE....MORE....FORM......I ....CAN.....DO....IT........

WOW! 5 of the 6 completed! YAHOO!! Medical on Monday. Copies of everything being made for the next EON.....

QUESTION-I thought I read on here that they may ask for my spouse's Passport. Beings he's the sponsor and a Canadian by birth, would they?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Tullysgirl said:
QUESTION-I thought I read on here that they may ask for my spouse's Passport. Beings he's the sponsor and a Canadian by birth, would they?
No. The copy of his passport (for identification and proof of citizenship) is sufficient - they won't need his actual passport.

amaranth

Oct 31, 2009
Toronto & Buffalo
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
blupassion06 said:
I'm not sure if she was messing with me. It sure didn't seem that way..she was the senior officer at the airport, and the only reason she let me stay according to her was bcz she was the ‘boss'. She basically said since for the past year I've been technically living in Canada (which is true) except for a week each month..I've already used up my 6 months...which makes sense BUT like everyone else here I was under the impression that it just restarts every time you enter the country....annnywhoo! She was generous enough to give me a visitor record until October after glancing at my application.
I had one officer who gave me the line about the whole "you can only stay a total of 6 months in a year" (the ONLY time in over 6 years of ridiculously frequent border crossings that I was ever sent to secondary). He claimed he was generously letting me go without a visitor record because he was in a good mood. As I was leaving the building, another officer -- ironically the same one who would handle my landing just over a year later! -- Told me the first officer was full of hot air, and that the rule is up to 6 months in one go. The only danger of crossing the border to reset the clock is getting an officer having a bad day or a power trip who feels like making things miserable for everyone, but that can happen to someone entering for the first time too... It's a crap shoot every time! ::)

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
amaranth said:
I had one officer who gave me the line about the whole "you can only stay a total of 6 months in a year" (the ONLY time in over 6 years of ridiculously frequent border crossings that I was ever sent to secondary). He claimed he was generously letting me go without a visitor record because he was in a good mood. As I was leaving the building, another officer -- ironically the same one who would handle my landing just over a year later! -- Told me the first officer was full of hot air, and that the rule is up to 6 months in one go. The only danger of crossing the border to reset the clock is getting an officer having a bad day or a power trip who feels like making things miserable for everyone, but that can happen to someone entering for the first time too... It's a crap shoot every time! ::)
I wonder what would happen if one showed up armed with a printout of their own policy showing it's a 6 month allowance every time you enter, not accumulated. :-*

blupassion06

Apr 11, 2012
Tullysgirl said:
I wonder what would happen if one showed up armed with a printout of their own policy showing it's a 6 month allowance every time you enter, not accumulated. :-*
lol with my luck they'll still find a way around the printout! lmao
Good luck on getting everything finalized for your app!!

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
blupassion06 said:
lol with my luck they'll still find a way around the printout! lmao
Good luck on getting everything finalized for your app!!
Thanks! Medical on Monday...(biting nails) it's almost done!! Now, to print those blasted IMs....

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
March-28-2012...supposedly
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
Hi all! I am LANDED! I wanted to write a little bit about what it was like for me since I had so many questions before I went through it...

We crossed by car at Peace Arch Park in Blaine, WA/Surrey,BC. When we drove through we said I was there to land. He asked us some questions about our drive to Los Angeles, how long we were gone, what we bought, any alcohol or tobacco. He told us to park and go to the building. We went in and waited about 10-15 minutes. We were called up and we presented our passports, and i gave my COPR, two copies of my B4/B4A, and the photos I took of my jewelry and my piece of paper with where i wanted my PR card sent to. He didn't want the paper with the address as he said he already had it on my documents. He didn't want the photos, he didn't even look at them. He didn't look in the car at all, as he said that they do that mostly when there are expensive things, but since my most expensive thing was the wedding ring i was wearing, he could already see that. We waited maybe 10-15 more minutes while he entered stuff in the computer, then i signed the pages of the COPR and B4/B4A. He told us a bit about the time requirements and how to get SIN and medical and we were on our way. From the time we entered the line-up at the border in the car, to when we drove away it was almost exactly an hour.

He said the was thankful that we were prepared, so I thank everyone on the forum for helping us be ready! :D

apstone

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-4-2012
File Transfer...
27-7-2012
Med's Done....
10-3-2012
Hey all, I have a question about how you were notified of sponsor approval and the following stages. CPC-M received my application in on 4/23, and on the CIC website it shows that they are processing applications sent in by 4/30. I thought they notified you vial mail, or is it email? I have been eagerly checking the mail each day for a few weeks now, but there's nothing.

How were you guys informed that your file was transferred? Is there a procedure to call CIC after the date listed on the site for an update?

Thanks

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --&gt; Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
apstone said:
Hey all, I have a question about how you were notified of sponsor approval and the following stages. CPC-M received my application in on 4/23, and on the CIC website it shows that they are processing applications sent in by 4/30. I thought they notified you vial mail, or is it email? I have been eagerly checking the mail each day for a few weeks now, but there's nothing.

How were you guys informed that your file was transferred? Is there a procedure to call CIC after the date listed on the site for an update?

Thanks
I was informed my mail from CIC-O. Since it's after the date on the website, just call, get to a live agent and tell them that! They usually can look onto their computers and if you've been approved, most will tell you. Worst comes to worse, all they will tell you is that a letter is on the way via the mail.