Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
computergeek said:
That's ok, Americans aren't generally very good with geography either.

I remember the first time I saw this map - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/world-accordign-to-USA.jpg

It's not too far from the true American perspective.
Once crossing the Canadian border my father was asked where he was from (back before we all had to be microchipped before crossing the border), and he said "America." And the snarky border guard immediately responded "north or south?"

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
computergeek said:
When I used Google maps to look at the closest border crossing from the centre of Nunavut, it was Maine. I had expected it to be the Alaska Crossing (from Whitehorse) as well, but it was MUCH farther. It's a LONG trip. I even tried to figure out if the St. Pierre and Miquelon crossing was closer but it wasn't obvious to me.

And the closest crossing from Montreal is on the border with New York. I've never driven that route, though (I'm always coming up from New England, so I end up going through VT).
LOL....I can't imagine there is any direct route from Nunavut to Alaska on the ground so I guess Maine makes more sense but that would be one heck of a drive too :eek:

If you ever have the opportunity and the time take the ferry from Cape Vincent, NY to Wolfe Island and then from Wolfe Island to Kingston, ON. It is a fun adventure. We have done it a couple of times and Kingston is always a nice city to visit and have lunch down on the waterfront.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
IvanP said:
Once crossing the Canadian border my father was asked where he was from (back before we all had to be microchipped before crossing the border), and he said "America." And the snarky border guard immediately responded "north or south?"
I got chewed out once by a Peruvian for calling myself an "American." He was so indignant, because we were all "Americans." Yes dude, but it's so much easier to say than a Citizen of the USA... Not my fault the USA picked a silly name for itself. :p

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Canuck20 said:
LOL....I can't imagine there is any direct route from Nunavut to Alaska on the ground so I guess Maine makes more sense but that would be one heck of a drive too :eek:

If you ever have the opportunity and the time take the ferry from Cape Vincent, NY to Wolfe Island and then from Wolfe Island to Kingston, ON. It is a fun adventure. We have done it a couple of times and Kingston is always a nice city to visit and have lunch down on the waterfront.
I love Kingston. I grew up in the area and we plan on moving there and raising a family there. While I HATE that half of some streets are two way and the rest is one way, that's pretty much all that annoys me about Kingston :p

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
parker24 said:
I love Kingston. I grew up in the area and we plan on moving there and raising a family there. While I HATE that half of some streets are two way and the rest is one way, that's pretty much all that annoys me about Kingston :p
I love Kingston too. I went to Queen's for my B Ed. many years ago and loved my year there. So much tradition and history. My niece is now at Queen's studying science of some kind. Still love going back to visit.
I was shocked to read in the Toronto Star this past Saturday that they are considering closing KCVI. It is over 200 years old and the oldest high school in Canada. It should be made into a National Historic Site IMHO :'(

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Canuck20 said:
I love Kingston too. I went to Queen's for my B Ed. many years ago and loved my year there. So much tradition and history. My niece is now at Queen's studying science of some kind. Still love going back to visit.
I was shocked to read in the Toronto Star this past Saturday that they are considering closing KCVI. It is over 200 years old and the oldest high school in Canada. It should be made into a National Historic Site IMHO :'(
I saw that as well! I had to do a double take because the last I heard, every public high school in Kingston's enrolment is soaring. Makes no sense.

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
parker24 said:
I saw that as well! I had to do a double take because the last I heard, every public high school in Kingston's enrolment is soaring. Makes no sense.
It would certainly be a shame to destroy all that history. I certainly hope that you are able to move your family there. The combination of one way and two way streets really is a pain, especially in the winter :'(

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
computergeek said:

I remember the first time I saw this map - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/world-accordign-to-USA.jpg

My husband is from Winnipeg, MB. In the States, he would often respond to the question "Where's Winnipeg?" by saying, "North of North Dakota." Many times the response was, "But there's nothing north of North Dakota!" Just like the map shows! ;D

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
lawgrrl said:
My husband is from Winnipeg, MB. In the States, he would often respond to the question "Where's Winnipeg?" by saying, "North of North Dakota." Many times the response was, "But there's nothing north of North Dakota!" Just like the map shows! ;D
Isn't Winnipeg just north of Canada's only road?

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
computergeek said:

Have you ever noticed that when watching the weather report on an American TV channel that there is a big blank void north of the 49th parallel on their weather map. The viewers must really wonder where that "Alberta" clipper comes from :'(

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Canuck20 said:
Have you ever noticed that when watching the weather report on an American TV channel that there is a big blank void north of the 49th parallel on their weather map. The viewers must really wonder where that "Alberta" clipper comes from :'(
My husbands very sweet boss in Lebanon, TN thought Toronto and Ontario were two different provinces/cities... It cracked me up, and still does! HAHAHA

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
parker24 said:
My husbands very sweet boss in Lebanon, TN thought Toronto and Ontario were two different provinces/cities... It cracked me up, and still does! HAHAHA
OMG really

hahahahaha

nsr

Jan 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
AOR Received.
8-01-2012(Mississauga) 28-03-2012 (buffalo)
File Transfer...
26-01-2012
Med's Request
25-07-2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2011, 26 July,2013
Interview........
July 2013-passed
Passport Req..
21-08-2013, sent on 27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06 september, 2013
LANDED..........
27 september, 2013
Hi everybody,

I have interview at LA next month. Just have few questions in my mind that I want to ask you guys.

1. Do I need to carry same proofs of our relationship that were sent with the original application?(I mean photocopies were sent, do i need to carry original now? As I have so so much new documents or proofs after we sent our application that i will be carrying of course.

2. I will be carrying our wedding album and movie. Also I will be getting photos prints of our casual trips and all. Other than that do I need to put all pictures in Dvd and carry that too because they are in thousands and I will be taking around only 120 prints?

3. I have tickets for places we visited, I have bills of gifts I gave to my wife, I have cards we exchanged on birthdays, anniversary, I have dinner receipts, I have so many movie receipts, we have bills( credit cards, phone etc) of both of us at same address. other than that I have tons of receipt like groceries, shopping at different places, should I carry these too?

4. Do we have to show some minimum funds in our bank account?

5. Any experience at LA international airport's car rental company. Which one is reasonable and good company? Like fox, Payless they have mixed reviews, but budget, avis are very expensive.

6. Last Question, Is it a good idea to put stickies on all papers and write down what is this paper for, to make it easy for them to go through. Same with casual picture, should put stickies and tell them where these pictures were taken?

I will really appreciate if you can answer my questions individually.

Thanks
NSR

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
1. i carried those proofs as well which I already sent to them . you never know they say they cannot find it.. (happened with me i already sent my fbi report but the visa officer said she cannot locate it) so better to have a backup

2. good to carry album as well movie. 120 prints are enough . dont put the pictures in dvd as they dont have that much time to play it on.. physical proof which is visible is better.. i also took my album and wedding movie dvd. and loads of pictures of our casual trips.

3. whatever receipts, tickets you have take them all.. i highlighted them so that its easy to see my name and my spouse's.

4. just showing bank account names is fine. if its saving account then they know you cannot have that much money. they are concerned you have joint bank accnts and how long the account is for

5. no experience with rental cars in LA as its my hometown. never felt a need for one

6. stickies is good .. easy for you as you will be nervous if visa officer asks you to show something you can just read and give. (I had separate folders for everything and wrote on the front of the folders)

Goodluck for the interview

shanmba1174

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
AOR Received.
04-12-2012
File Transfer...
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2013
LANDED..........
26-06-2013 (DONE - thank u all)
nsr said:
Hi everybody,

I have interview at LA next month. Just have few questions in my mind that I want to ask you guys.

1. Do I need to carry same proofs of our relationship that were sent with the original application?(I mean photocopies were sent, do i need to carry original now? As I have so so much new documents or proofs after we sent our application that i will be carrying of course.

2. I will be carrying our wedding album and movie. Also I will be getting photos prints of our casual trips and all. Other than that do I need to put all pictures in Dvd and carry that too because they are in thousands and I will be taking around only 120 prints?

3. I have tickets for places we visited, I have bills of gifts I gave to my wife, I have cards we exchanged on birthdays, anniversary, I have dinner receipts, I have so many movie receipts, we have bills( credit cards, phone etc) of both of us at same address. other than that I have tons of receipt like groceries, shopping at different places, should I carry these too?

4. Do we have to show some minimum funds in our bank account?

5. Any experience at LA international airport's car rental company. Which one is reasonable and good company? Like fox, Payless they have mixed reviews, but budget, avis are very expensive.

6. Last Question, Is it a good idea to put stickies on all papers and write down what is this paper for, to make it easy for them to go through. Same with casual picture, should put stickies and tell them where these pictures were taken?

I will really appreciate if you can answer my questions individually.

Thanks
NSR
Fox/ Payless rental car is good, they are cheap and economical. Every 5 mins they have pick up shuttle from the airport.