05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
epilobium said:
My husband had to give up his CT license to get his BC one.
Yep, part of the exchange rule is it being sent back to the state government.

It was explained to me by the DMV in Sacramento, California (my native state) that they do this so if you change your mind and become a state resident again, you can do the same swap and get your full license back rather than go through all the testing again/starting over.

There is always the option of going through normal licensing procedures, but it might be a bit of a hassle. I just did the swap and was done with it. I don't plan on going to Florida anyways, and California doesn't care if I'm I'm both a Canadian resident holding an Ontario G license and driving in the state rather than possessing a California C.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
Just money issues. And the car failed safety today so it's MORE money issues. PLUS we got the most rude American border agent I've ever met on the phone when inquiring about if our title was there. Laughed at us several times. My husband said he now knows why Canadians think Americans can be arrogant.
Sorry to hear :( Hope that the repair is minor.

MisterDBarton

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
18-08-2012
AOR Received.
29-09-2012
File Transfer...
10-10-2012
Med's Request
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
So I got the following lovely e-mail yesterday...

Dear Dustin [snipped]:

I have reviewed your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class. I have concerns that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

Subsection 130(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a sponsor who is a Canadian citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor an application referred to in subsection (1) by their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children if the sponsor will reside in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

Your application states that your sponsor is a Canadian Citizen who is residing abroad. You must satisfy a visa officer that your sponsor will reside in Canada at the time that you become a Permanent Resident of Canada, and you must become a Permanent of Canada within the validity period of your visa.

I am not satisfied that it is your sponsor's intention to return to live in Canada as you have not provided any evidence to demonstrate this.

If your sponsor intends to continue residing outside Canada at the time that you become a Permanent Resident of Canada, you may wish to withdraw you application. You may re-apply at a time when you and your sponsor intend to reside in Canada. If your sponsor intends to reside outside Canada and you do not withdraw your application within the next 30 days, processing will continue on your application and you may be refused.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.

The onus is on you to satisfy me that an immigrant visa can be issued to you. I would therefore request that you send any information or documents which you consider might respond to this concern within sixty (60) days. I must also advise you that failure to satisfy me of my concern could lead to the refusal of the application.

Please note:
All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.

The above information/documents must be received in our office within 60 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application. Please quote your complete application number on your correspondence and address your correspondence to CPP-Ottawa at the address indicated below.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.

Sincerely,
My wife and I will be celebrating 10 years in October, which will also mark our 2 year anniversary for being married...not sure what more we can provide besides the documents we've provided.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
MisterDBarton said:

My wife and I will be celebrating 10 years in October, which will also mark our 2 year anniversary for being married...not sure what more we can provide besides the documents we've provided.
Do you have a bank account in Canada? If yes, send them a statement, if no, open one in the city where you plan to live, transfer a substantial amount of money there (if you can), and send a statement. Have you been looking for work in Canada? Send copies of correspondence with potential employers. Friends and family in the US or, even better, Canada, know of your plans? Ask your friends and family to write letters saying they know of your plans. Contact an employment agency and tell them you are moving to Canada and looking for work. Send copies of that correspondence. It doesn't have to be airtight or definite (or even successful), you just need to prove intent. And if you haven't done any of that, I think it's also fine to say you haven't transferred money, or looked for work, or looked for housing, because CIC's website says it's going to take a total of about 14 months to process your application, and it hasn't made sense for you to do most of the foregoing until you are actually ready to move.

This was the question that made us most nervous filling out the application, because we really didn't have any proof that we're moving to Canada. So for the past 6 months we've been periodically making transfers to my Canadian account, and gradually looking for work, so we have not just the letters from friends and family who know about our plans and with whom we've talked about the move for quite some time, but also documentation from the period of time between applying and now showing our intent to move, so I feel confident now that if asked, this won't present a hurdle.

In your shoes, if you haven't done much of what we've done, I would do the bank account and get letters from friends and family, and start searching for employment. It's really an impossible question for many of us, but provide as much as you can!

brightredscream

Sep 1, 2010
Stoney Creek, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
File Transfer...
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2012
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
21-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2013
So I'm visiting hubby for a week in April, should I do anything in particular now that our application is filed and such?

MisterDBarton

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
18-08-2012
AOR Received.
29-09-2012
File Transfer...
10-10-2012
Med's Request
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
IvanP said:
Do you have a bank account in Canada? If yes, send them a statement, if no, open one in the city where you plan to live, transfer a substantial amount of money there (if you can), and send a statement. Have you been looking for work in Canada? Send copies of correspondence with potential employers. Friends and family in the US or, even better, Canada, know of your plans? Ask your friends and family to write letters saying they know of your plans. Contact an employment agency and tell them you are moving to Canada and looking for work. Send copies of that correspondence. It doesn't have to be airtight or definite (or even successful), you just need to prove intent. And if you haven't done any of that, I think it's also fine to say you haven't transferred money, or looked for work, or looked for housing, because CIC's website says it's going to take a total of about 14 months to process your application, and it hasn't made sense for you to do most of the foregoing until you are actually ready to move.

This was the question that made us most nervous filling out the application, because we really didn't have any proof that we're moving to Canada. So for the past 6 months we've been periodically making transfers to my Canadian account, and gradually looking for work, so we have not just the letters from friends and family who know about our plans and with whom we've talked about the move for quite some time, but also documentation from the period of time between applying and now showing our intent to move, so I feel confident now that if asked, this won't present a hurdle.

In your shoes, if you haven't done much of what we've done, I would do the bank account and get letters from friends and family, and start searching for employment. It's really an impossible question for many of us, but provide as much as you can!
My wife and I have been searching for apartments for the past...6 months? We have browser histories and e-mails between the two of us with links to various apartments and what they offer. She (Canadian) has been looking for work since September. I haven't since I can't legally work in Canada until I get approved, but they are questioning whether my wife is going to move to Canada with me (and live there) so we're hoping the combination of her seeking employment plus apartment searching.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MisterDBarton said:
My wife and I have been searching for apartments for the past...6 months? We have browser histories and e-mails between the two of us with links to various apartments and what they offer. She (Canadian) has been looking for work since September. I haven't since I can't legally work in Canada until I get approved, but they are questioning whether my wife is going to move to Canada with me (and live there) so we're hoping the combination of her seeking employment plus apartment searching.
You can also send them a timeline/description of how/when you intend to move (it can be a relative timeline to when you get the CoPR). Explain where you'll live, when you'll move (e.g., together once x, y, z happen), how you'll finance the move, and show an understanding of the steps required for the move, etc. The sponsor needs to prove her intention to move back to Canada.

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
MisterDBarton said:
Don't give up! My (Canadian) hubby and I have a similar situation. he's been in the States since 1989 and has a green card. We were asked to provide proof of his "plans" to re-establish in Canada. He's self-employed and winding down his business here (we're almost old enough to retire!). So he found a Canadian web host, got a ".ca" web address, got some business associates to send e- mails agreeing that he could act as their Canadian or B.C. distributor once we've landed, and put all of that on the new web page. We also got his elderly parents to send an e-mail how they are looking forward to us being around to help them out. As was explained to me on this forum, "family class" sponsorship looks to re-unite families; if you're already united outside of Canada, they figure you're good! :(

Can you "subscribe" to a rental service? Some of them send regular e- mail updates with new listings. Set up the widest parameters you can, and send CIC 2-3 weeks of those. Same with employment agencies; one is sending me listings now. Your wife could do that, too.
Just hang in there!

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
I have my NEXUS interview this week (finally). Will I receive my card at the interview or is it mailed? I'm wondering because I'm flying into Toronto (today) and then driving to the interview on the US side of the border at Niagara later this week. My flight out of Toronto is next week. I want to make sure they let me back in at the Niagara border.

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
computergeek said:
Very little does show up in e-cas.
So, I can think positively about my ecas going from "Application Rec'd" to "Decison Made-WELCOME TO CANADA YOU'RE AWESOME!"?? ;D

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
MisterDBarton said:

Our case files were probably assigned to the same agent, (Case Officer VH), perhaps? lol

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Tax Season!! Anyone have pitfalls to avoid? Filing my US return...having to put him on it.....wishing I could use him as an exemption in 6b-because he's not filing a (US) return and he can't be claimed as a dependant on anyone else's return. :D

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Tullysgirl said:
Tax Season!! Anyone have pitfalls to avoid? Filing my US return...having to put him on it.....wishing I could use him as an exemption in 6b-because he's not filing a (US) return and he can't be claimed as a dependant on anyone else's return. :D
Pitfalls to avoid -- whichever of you two is the American citizen, don't stop filing tax returns with the IRS.

Even if you live abroad and work abroad you must file a return or they will come after you.

The other alternative, which I'm considering upon getting Canadian citizenship to avoid this ridiculous double taxation rule that shows no sign of ever changing, is renouncing US citizenship.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
MisterDBarton said:

Maybe the new regulation that requires the sponsor to live in Canada with the applicant for at least two years will ease on this requirement for new applicants (our guess is that the applicant will be stripped off of the PR if the must-live-together-in-Canada-for-two-years requirement is not met).

However, it escapes our mind why it is questioned that a well established couple would apply for Canadian PR just for the Canadian to stay behind.

Does anyone know of a case where the applicant has been denied an application for reasons of the agent not being satisfied that the Canadian is going to return to Canada?

We wonder if an offer of employment will suffice. In our case, the sponsor is currently dealing with an employer that is very interested. In fact, the potential employer is meeting with the sponsor next week in Toronto and if all goes well, they might just finalize an offer.

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
OMG--COPR RECEIVED! I was NOT expecting this now! We were asked on January 7 to provide the L.A. office with "proof of your sponsor's plans to re-establish in Canada" and sent what we had on January 27. I was about to check to see if anything else would be required and this came today. USPS registered mail--thank goodness that hubby was home to sign for it!

Four months and 23 days from mailing to delivery--WOW! Many, many thanks to everyone on these boards for all your help and support! I know I'll have more questions going forward and am sure I'll find answers here.

Gratefully yours :)