+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US or Canada - *Critical Decision*

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollercoaster said:
My current CRS is 441, a Masters would bring it to 481, PGDM will make it 474.

I just hope Canada announces the changes to Express Entry ASAP, before I make any decision.

The Ideal case would have for me to go for Canadian Masters, but didn't get admit.
Have you got max points for language test? Instead of investing so much for PR, first try to maximize your points with easy means. Also try for pnp.

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
Yes I have got Max language points for CLB 10 in English.

I don't know French.

For PNP, most provinces ask for a job offer right?

And getting Canadian job offer sitting in India is difficult right?

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollercoaster said:
Yes I have got Max language points for CLB 10 in English.

I don't know French.

For PNP, most provinces ask for a job offer right?

And getting Canadian job offer sitting in India is difficult right?
Getting Canadian job offer from India is almost impossible (unless your company sends you on LMIA). But job offer isn't mandatory for pnp. Last year many people got Ontario PNP with points >=400. Did you check NBPNP which is opened recently? Job offer isn't mandatory I believe. There is a separate thread on this topic.

mamaJM

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2016
Doc's Request.
FBI: 06-05-2016
AOR Received.
21-04-2016
Passport Req..
07-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-01-2016
LANDED..........
07-01-2017
You can do your masters in the US and still apply for PR in Canada, do it by the side, so that would be your plan B. You can create your profile without your masters and you maybe lucky to get an ITA. Scores may drop or update your scores after your masters when you are on OPT. Education and experience in the US is well respected. The H1b sponsorship isn't guaranteed and most people are kind of stuck to their employer for a long time, you may change employers but it has to be one that sponsors. GC process from H1b is a long one. For me, I like my freedom, Canada PR gives you that. You are an IT person, so really you will be fine anywhere. Good luck.

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
rajibsam said:
Getting Canadian job offer from India is almost impossible (unless your company sends you on LMIA). But job offer isn't mandatory for pnp. Last year many people got Ontario PNP with points >=400. Did you check NBPNP which is opened recently? Job offer isn't mandatory I believe. There is a separate thread on this topic.
Up till now I never really thought about going for PNP thinking its impossible without job offer.

I will look into different PNPs now. Let me find out more about NB PNP as u suggest.

Any other similar PNP which you advice? Thanks!

mamaJM said:
You can do your masters in the US and still apply for PR in Canada, do it by the side, so that would be your plan B. You can create your profile without your masters and you maybe lucky to get an ITA. Scores may drop or update your scores after your masters when you are on OPT. Education and experience in the US is well respected. The H1b sponsorship isn't guaranteed and most people are kind of stuck to their employer for a long time, you may change employers but it has to be one that sponsors. GC process from H1b is a long one. For me, I like my freedom, Canada PR gives you that. You are an IT person, so really you will be fine anywhere. Good luck.
These exactly are my concerns as well about h1b.

Also, as far as canadian education is concerned, I would rather finish it up in one year before I start loosing points for age. I would still apply under FSW only even if I get PGWP..
You are right, the freedom Canada gives in choosing employers is not there in US

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
rajibsam said:
I just checked the NB PNP and I am scoring 70 points, where as the cutoff is 67 points.

Does this mean that all applicants above 67 get PNP ITA?
Do you think my score of 70 is competitive ?

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollercoaster said:
I just checked the NB PNP and I am scoring 70 points, where as the cutoff is 67 points.

Does this mean that all applicants above 67 get PNP ITA?
Do you think my score of 70 is competitive ?
I am not familiar with pnp, you may post your query in this thread:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/whats-app-group-for-nbpnp-pei-pnp-combined-pls-join-t336812.0.html

tejasmhaskar

Nov 15, 2015
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-10-2018
Get your Masters from USA! Use your OPT. US has far better options w.r.t. work (specially for your NOC). Once you graduate, apply for Canadian PR (I am sure that you'll still get invite after your MS). Canada needs talented people from all over the globe. Having said that, your elaborate industry experience coupled with US Masters will put you on the top in EE pool even after 1 year (assuming your MS is 1 year).
Another advantage is that while you are on OPT, you ll save a lot more money than what you ll save in Canada (this goes without saying). This will help you with your loan repayment.
Apart from just MS and work, US visa will open doors to countries like Mexico, Costa Rica and a few other Latam countries (if you are into travelling).
And last but not the least, you ll get to live in both the countries i.e. US and Canada!

Rao2015

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Get MS -> OPT -> STEM extension if needed -> H1B Lottery pick

Apply to Canadian PR while you are on OPT/H1, making sure company you work for, has offices in US and Canada, giving you flexibility to maintain your PR while you wait for GC (long run) if needed.

axlh17

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
rajibsam said:
Last time I checked most PNP requires a Canadian degree from that province, correct? For those of us with foreign degrees is there any PNP that would work?

mamaJM

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2016
Doc's Request.
FBI: 06-05-2016
AOR Received.
21-04-2016
Passport Req..
07-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-01-2016
LANDED..........
07-01-2017
axlh17 said:
Last time I checked most PNP requires a Canadian degree from that province, correct? For those of us with foreign degrees is there any PNP that would work?
I know of 3:
Ontario >400 CRS
Nova Scotia
saskatchewan

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
mamaJM said:
I know of 3:
Ontario >400 CRS
Nova Scotia
saskatchewan
Nova Scotia, Ontario and Sask have reached their quota for 2016 I guess so they have stopped accepting applications for 2016.

New Brunswick is still accepting from 1-15 every month.. But it is points based system . 67 is cutoff. Highest ranked candidates are invited to NB PNP

intensecool

Jan 29, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where are you doing PGDM from in Canada, which university and what stream ?

rollercoaster said:
I want your suggestions here; I have 2 options-

1. Complete a 1 year Masters degree from US (already have an admit) by next year end - bringing my CRS to 481

2. Complete a 1 year PGDM from Canada (don't have any admit yet) by next year end - bringing my CRS to 474

Now, as per the latest update by immigration minister McCullum, it is almost certain that canadian students are going to extra points going forward soon.

Quoting a news report - http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/express-entry-not-foreign-workers-should-be-top-choice-for-business-mccallum-1.2852205

... However, he said changes to the way international students are assessed under the program were almost certainly going to happen and the minister said he hoped to move quickly.
"There is some urgency in this matter," he said. "Stage one, which I hope would be soon, would be to give more points to the students, and stage two, further down the road after more study, would be to do other things to improve express entry."

My aim really is to get an ITA after education, will I be at a disadvantage in future (1 year's time) if I choose US Masters over Canada PGDM ?

Need your advice here - which option would you suggest ?

clayera

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
EE Inland
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-22-2017
LANDED..........
05/2018
I have graduate degrees from both the US and Canada. I think that leaving aside considerations about alignment of program with academic interest and career paths (Which is a MAJOR factor when choosing Institution/program/advisor), Canada grad. degree will be my first choice. My two cents:
-You get PGWP way easier here than in the US. In Canada the work permit is not tied to the company that sponsors you, which can cause great headaches looking at my classmates there. if you switch companies, your time requirements for residence start from zero again.
You get automatically a PGWP from 2 to 4 years after you graduate. Granted, the transition really messed us up -international students-, but it is likely they will sort out the issue of the LMIA and PGWP in the short term.
-spouses of grad students in Canada can get a work permit. in the US things are more complicated.
-Time working after graduation counts towards residency requirement (a portion, that is).
-You could apply to the student stream that is now often included in the PNP programs (from the province where you graduate), and I think that with the changing landscape of immigration rules from one year to the next, the more immigration streams one can be eligible for, the better.
-You dont need to spend money on ECA for your degree, since it is Canadian.
-You might get more points in EE or PNP for having a Canadian degree.
-You might start getting research experience relevant to the Canadian context which is an advantage in the labor market.

There might be other points, but these are a few examples to take into account.