+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US or Canada - *Critical Decision*

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I want your suggestions here; I have 2 options-

1. Complete a 1 year Masters degree from US (already have an admit) by next year end - bringing my CRS to 481

2. Complete a 1 year PGDM from Canada (don't have any admit yet) by next year end - bringing my CRS to 474

Now, as per the latest update by immigration minister McCullum, it is almost certain that canadian students are going to extra points going forward soon.

Quoting a news report - http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/express-entry-not-foreign-workers-should-be-top-choice-for-business-mccallum-1.2852205

... However, he said changes to the way international students are assessed under the program were almost certainly going to happen and the minister said he hoped to move quickly.
"There is some urgency in this matter," he said. "Stage one, which I hope would be soon, would be to give more points to the students, and stage two, further down the road after more study, would be to do other things to improve express entry."

My aim really is to get an ITA after education, will I be at a disadvantage in future (1 year's time) if I choose US Masters over Canada PGDM ?

Need your advice here - which option would you suggest ?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
rollercoaster said:
Now, as per the latest update by immigration minister McCullum, it is almost certain that canadian students are going to extra points going forward soon.
He didn't say students will get more points. He only said its one of the options to up the priority of students in EE.

Plus he has max 4 years in his term and he can do it anytime within his term. that's a long way to go. And come on, when was the last time a politician follow through his/her election promise? Small details, yes. But any of these changes are going to win praise from a lot of people and piss off a lot people at the same time.

My attitude to education is to follow the program you want to go. Nothing else.

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I agree with you.

However, actually he did specifically say this-

... However, he said changes to the way international students are assessed under the program were almost certainly going to happen and the minister said he hoped to move quickly.
"There is some urgency in this matter," he said. "Stage one, which I hope would be soon, would be to give more points to the students, and stage two, further down the road after more study, would be to do other things to improve express entry."

Source - http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/express-entry-not-foreign-workers-should-be-top-choice-for-business-mccallum-1.2852205

Its tough for me to make up my mind.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would personally go with the Masters in the US. PGDMs are pretty useless in the long run (generally low value for employers). You don't just have to worry about getting PR - but also about getting a good job once you're here.

andy108

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2015
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
**-09-2017
US has better economic prospects... better life i would say, but but their immigration system sucks.

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well....if I were you...I would have chosen US for sure....get your Masters....get the OPT...start working in US...apply for your H1 and in the meantime do apply for the Canadian PR....474 points is kind of a sure shot to get you the invitation for PR.....

And if you are lucky enough to have your name picked up in the H1 lottery....why would you even think of coming to Canada (but that's a personal choice)...and even then you still want to come to Canada, then you'll have US experience to get you a little ahead in the queue when you try to get a job in Canada....

I just want to say that you can get the Canadian PR anytime with 474 points but its hard to get a chance to get into the H1 lottery and in the US....go for States.....

Just my thought.....

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollercoaster said:
I want your suggestions here; I have 2 options-

1. Complete a 1 year Masters degree from US (already have an admit) by next year end - bringing my CRS to 481

2. Complete a 1 year PGDM from Canada (don't have any admit yet) by next year end - bringing my CRS to 474

My aim really is to get an ITA after education, will I be at a disadvantage in future (1 year's time) if I choose US Masters over Canada PGDM ?

Need your advice here - which option would you suggest ?
Edit:

If your aim is PR, its better to start with Cananda. Atleast you will get to know the place and may be pnp option would be easier.

If your aim is better job, then US has better job/salary. But getting GC is a looong process. If you get PR and then Citizenship, you can go to US for work. By the time you will get Canadian citizenship, you will be no where close to GC in US.

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I agree that US Masters Trumps Canada PGDM any day.

However, to Canada's credit, Citizenship now requires only 3 years (instead of 4) AND internationals students will get 50% credit of time spent in Canada towards Citizenship (if they get PR ofcourse).

On the other hand, getting H1b Visa is like playing Russian Roulette - 1/3 chance of getting selected in lottery.

Coming to my point, I will want to keep Canada as a SAFE BET if I don't make it in the H1b lottery.

So my correct question is -
Do you think I can get ITA with 481 CRS next year, if Canada decides to give more points to Canadian students next year - thereby jeopardising my chances to get ITA as a US student?

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
rajibsam said:
How are you getting 481 points? Did you factor in one year of post graduate experience?
If no, then you have good chance. Canadian exp would make it even better for you.
If yes, then 1 year course is risky. Go for 2 year course in Canada. You will get 3 years work permit and would have better chance of acquiring Canadian experience.
I currently have 5 years of full time work experience as a software developer in India - I think NOC 2173.

I will get points for this experience while applying under FSW right ? Even though this work exp is BEFORE my Masters. Please advice..

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollercoaster said:

So my correct question is -
Do you think I can get ITA with 481 CRS next year, if Canada decides to give more points to Canadian students next year - thereby jeopardising my chances to get ITA as a US student?
481 is a good score. You should get ITA as a US student. But if Express Entry change comes (for students) as suggested by Minister, then definitely Canadian students would have better prospect as compared to US student. And no one knows how much it will impact the over all score. It all depends on how much point students would be allocated. So if you want to avoid uncertainty, study in Canada would be better option. Further, Canadian exp has extra points, where as US exp is counted as foreign exp and no extra points.

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollercoaster said:
I currently have 5 years of full time work experience as a software developer in India - I think NOC 2173.

I will get points for this experience while applying under FSW right ? Even though this work exp is BEFORE my Masters. Please advice..
Yes you will get points. How much point you have now?

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
My current CRS is 441, a Masters would bring it to 481, PGDM will make it 474.

I just hope Canada announces the changes to Express Entry ASAP, before I make any decision.

The Ideal case would have for me to go for Canadian Masters, but didn't get admit.

cantn

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the goal for getting an education? Is it to get an ITA or to get good knowledge? Getting knowledge is an investment that should be made wisely. I would focus on finding the right university for your desired field of study rather than focusing on your chances of getting an ITA. Canadian PR or US Green Card will all follow automatically regardless.

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I agree. Education is an investment.

The stakes are especially high for someone like me - who will take debt of 30 Lac Rs (40k USD) for one program.

Returning to my home country is NOT an option - it will take my eons to payback my debt in Indian Rupees salary.

So I am thinking 50 times before taking a decision.

Thanks for all your inputs guys.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP's intention is to get PR either in US or Canada.. Don't complicate it with jobs or salary expectation even purpose of education

So definitely go with Canada for your PR. As others have said, getting green card is a pure luck..