+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Immigration at Toronto Pearson Airport. What to expect ? Need some advice.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
I am an Indian citizen working on h1b in US and having Canada COPR. After soft landing with 14 days quarantine, I plan to fly back to US momentarily before finally immigrating to Canada. I heard that US immigration happens at Pearson airport before boarding flight from Toronto to US. I do have a valid h1b visa but after hearing so many news about suspending US visas, I am little worried. So please help me with the following questions:

1) Once my US immigration check happens at Pearson airport, will the immigration check happen again at US airport ?
2) If in case I am stuck during US immigration at Pearson airport and not allowed to board the flight, can I go back to Toronto and wait until things settle down or do I need to leave Canada and fly back to India as I will not have a valid PR card at that moment ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an Indian citizen working on h1b in US and having Canada COPR. After soft landing with 14 days quarantine, I plan to fly back to US momentarily before finally immigrating to Canada. I heard that US immigration happens at Pearson airport before boarding flight from Toronto to US. I do have a valid h1b visa but after hearing so many news about suspending US visas, I am little worried. So please help me with the following questions:

1) Once my US immigration check happens at Pearson airport, will the immigration check happen again at US airport ?
2) If in case I am stuck during US immigration at Pearson airport and not allowed to board the flight, can I go back to Toronto and wait until things settle down or do I need to leave Canada and fly back to India as I will not have a valid PR card at that moment ?
1) Everything happens at Pearson. There will be no further immigration checks once you arrive in the U.S.
2) Yes. You'll be a PR so you can certainly stay in Canada.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
I just returned yesterday. US CBP just took my passport and stamped - did not ask for any documents nor any questions. If you have not yet traveled to Canada, I would suggest waiting for the EO, which could happen today / tomorrow.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
Hey guys,

First of all thank you for all the support this forum has provided. Just wanted to update regarding my spouse PR experience. My wife traveled from US to Canada, completed PR process, stayed in AirBnb for 14 days and came back to US on a valid visa. The only question asked at Pearson airport while coming back was address ID proof. My wife showed her DL as address proof so the CBP officers asked couple of times if that was her final destination. So please make sure you are carrying license or any address id proof from the state where you live.

Reactions: scylla

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I landed today at Toronto Pearson Airport. Everything went smoothly. My copr was issued after March 18.

My experience -

1. Got to the airplane and before boarding we were asked questions: are you aware of the Canadian travel restrictions and do you believe you can travel? Are you aware of the quarantine requirement and can you prove it? Are you aware of the provincial restrictions on travel? Answer all of them yes.
2. Got immigration officer, not a bad experience. Asked questions - have you committed any crimes? have you got a place to quarantine? do you have goods to follow? How much cash are you carrying?
3. Signed COPR, 2 copies, and then was welcomed.
4. Went to border services and declared list of goods. They stamped it and gave me 1 copy to keep.
5. Exited the airport!

Reactions: praveen07cse

pp90032

Jul 16, 2020
amanb014
I landed today at Toronto Pearson Airport. Everything went smoothly. My copr was issued after March 18.

My experience -

1. Got to the airplane and before boarding we were asked questions: are you aware of the Canadian travel restrictions and do you believe you can travel? Are you aware of the quarantine requirement and can you prove it? Are you aware of the provincial restrictions on travel? Answer all of them yes.
2. Got immigration officer, not a bad experience. Asked questions - have you committed any crimes? have you got a place to quarantine? do you have goods to follow? How much cash are you carrying?
4. Went to border services and declared list of goods. They stamped it and gave me 1 copy to keep.
5. Exited the airport!
amanb014 - did you move permanently to Canada or coming back to USA? I read in the latest updates from CIC that completing process for PR but not settling in is still considered no-essential travel so it's still not permitted. Pls let me know.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
amanb014

amanb014 -
did you move permanently to Canada or coming back to USA? I read in the latest updates from CIC that completing process for PR but not settling in is still considered no-essential travel so it's still not permitted. Pls let me know.
I have moved permanently and don’t intend on going back to US.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
But are they asking if you are staying in Canada etc. ?
Thanks in advance.
Here is my experience -

5. Exited the airport!

Reactions: Shony_2013